AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-02-24, 11:53   Link #101
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Mikisugi Saigo no Pansu?

Seems Sensei will have an awesome moment ...related to his "pansus" xDU

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2014-02-24, 14:45   Link #102
HalfgildMora

Seems we are finally getting revelations about Junketsu.
Old 2014-02-24, 16:56   Link #103
immblueversion

This has been on my mind about as early as episode 2, but I'm convinced that Senketsu is some sort of reincarnation of Ryuko's dad, like he had his personality and/or unawakened memories "uploaded" into Senketsu. Back when we simply knew Ryuko's dad as old Dr. Isshin, the only thing going for this hypothesis was that he and Senketsu looked alike, so maybe Senketsu's voice was the same as Isshin's when he was younger (that was just a wild guess). Well, now we know that "Isshin" was younger than he looked, and no one knew it before. Suddenly it doesn't seem so strange to guess if Soichiro's voice will be the same as Senketsu's.

I just know what you should be doing.
Old 2014-02-25, 13:25   Link #104
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
This has been on my mind about as early as episode 2, but I'm convinced that Senketsu is some sort of reincarnation of Ryuko's dad, like he had his personality and/or unawakened memories "uploaded" into Senketsu. Back when we simply knew Ryuko's dad as old Dr. Isshin, the only thing going for this hypothesis was that he and Senketsu looked alike, so maybe Senketsu's voice was the same as Isshin's when he was younger (that was just a wild guess). Well, now we know that "Isshin" was younger than he looked, and no one knew it before. Suddenly it doesn't seem so strange to guess if Soichiro's voice will be the same as Senketsu's.
I had a similar thought like that as well. Considering the design of Senketsu vs Dr. Matoi. I wondered if there was some way that he could have placed his persona into it. But considering how Senketsu freaked out about ep. 17's revelation that kind of threw that thought out the window. But you never know. He also was struggling with his identity. All he knows is that "somethings feel right", but to know that you could be something else is frightening. The same way that Ryuko got a sh*tload of mindf*ck dropped in her lap. Guess things are ok when it's not you.

But wouldn't it be odd if her father was Mikisugi? I had this thought, and some forums I been to questioned the same thing. But then there's that episode where he, Isshin, Tsumugu and his sister were all together doing tests. Now while this is a visual fact that might not necessarily be true. Because Mikisugi was the one who told the story. What we don't know is that what we see is actually what's been told. It's just a theory. But I'd be surprised if he were to show up on some odd way. Why I feel this way was how he managed to survive the hit in ep. 19. There has to be a massive plan in place to counter Ryago's. What is will hopefully be explained in the final 4 (since 20 airs this week) episodes.

Some folks are curious about the butler.

And then there's Junketsu, what exactly is "its" purpose? Since Souichiro Kiryui/Isshin had a hand in it's creation (I'm assuming) who's side is it on? unlike Senketsu, Junketsu doesn't speak. Can it be spoken to? Who's side is it on? Is it just a mindless vessel willing to be donned by anyone that can? Even Ryago probably doesn't know that Senketsu talks. I wonder if anyone does. But the one thing we do know is the suit was made for Satsuki but... she has NO synchronization with the life fibers and refuses to.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
Old 2014-02-25, 17:51   Link #105
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have to say I find the notion of Isshin's spirit being infused into Senketsu pretty creepy with all the talk about skin contact and the like. Of course, after the bath scene, it wouldn't be too surprising either. In an early conversation with Mikisugi Ryouko is scandalized by the notion that her father designed such a scanty outfit for her to wear. As I recall, Sensei suggests he wanted to imagine her in this outfit. Uh-huh.

I have a daughter who is twenty-two, and I'll admit that the occasional scandalous thought about her in revealing outfits has crossed my mind. But designing such an outfit and infusing my spirit into it so I can snuggle myself up to her most intimate body parts would definitely not be on my agenda.

I also don't see exactly how that would have happened during the sequence where he fights Nui. He hides the Kamui before the fight and dies soon thereafter. Maybe one or more of the Life Fibers in his laboratory coat migrated over to Senketsu when he was cut by the scissor blade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
Ryago
The Crunchyroll script uses "Ragyo" which I always saw as a pun on the English-language phrase "rag trade" to refer to the fashion industry. Is that pun not actually present in the Japanese track and "Ryago" a more accurate transliteration?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-02-25 at 18:09.
Old 2014-02-26, 00:28   Link #106
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The Crunchyroll script uses "Ragyo" which I always saw as a pun on the English-language phrase "rag trade" to refer to the fashion industry. Is that pun not actually present in the Japanese track and "Ryago" a more accurate transliteration?
That is pretty funny though. Well, she certainly has enough "sin" in her closet. But we need more analysis on this show. More, more.

Old 2014-02-26, 03:31   Link #107
immblueversion

Quote:
"Ryago" is probably just a misspelling unless there's some pun I'm missing. If it were "Ryago", the kana shown here would be りゃごう, not らぎょう. So as far as I can see, it's "Ragyo".

Old 2014-02-26, 11:25   Link #108
chrno

Quote:
"Ryago" is probably just a misspelling unless there's some pun I'm missing. If it were "Ryago", the kana shown here would be りゃごう, not らぎょう. So as far as I can see, it's "Ragyo".
Well, here's something to try anyone want to break down the kanji in her name as done with Senketsu and Junketsu?

Old 2014-02-26, 13:08   Link #109
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
Well, here's something to try anyone want to break down the kanji in her name as done with Senketsu and Junketsu?
羅暁. 羅 is "Ra". 暁 is "Gyou". It says so in the furigana of the image below (it's a big one). Punched the kanji into a dictionary and it checks out.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

There's a typo in her surname's furigana, though; the "Ki" and "Ryuu" are mixed around so it reads "Ryuukiin" instead of "Kiryuuin".

Old 2014-02-26, 14:19   Link #110
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
There's a typo in her surname's furigana, though; the "Ki" and "Ryuu" are mixed around so it reads "Ryuukiin" instead of "Kiryuuin".
Considering the big reveal about Ryuuko's parentage, that might not be a typo at all. Remember how Mikisugi refers to her repeatedly as "Ryuuko-kun", not that different from "Ryuukiin" to this foreigner. From my years of listening to anime, adults sometimes use the "-kun" suffix with girls, but it seems rare to me. I know she's too old for "-chan" except in close relationships, but he doesn't use "Matoi-san" either, which would seem more appropriate. I've wondered about his choice of suffix whenever he uses it. Is it common for high-school teachers to refer to their students as "given_name-kun?" I don't think he calls Mako "Mako-kun," but I might have missed it.

I rather doubt anything that appears in Kill la Kill is by mistake despite the exigencies of the anime production process.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-02-26 at 14:33.
Old 2014-02-26, 19:52   Link #111
chrno

Ragyo Kiryuin's name.

Looks like I'll have to take a stab at it. Resorting to the oldest kanji dictionary on the web. I used to do this sort of thing years ago. It's been awhile since I did breakdowns of kanji. I always liked doing this sort of thing but I've gotten lazier.

The kanji in her name literally reads this way.

The Kiryuin part of her name literally translates as follows:

鬼= (ki) "devil"
龍= (ryu) "imperial" ; "dragon"
院= (in) "institution"; "temple"; "mansion"; "school"

The Ragyo part of her name literally translates as follows:

羅= (ra) "gauze"; "thin silk"; "Rome"; "arrange"; "spread out"
暁= (gyo) "daybreak"; "dawn"; "in the event"

So of those definitions you can make of them as you will. But so far most of the definitions define her to a "T". I always get a kick out of Japanese naming. The names are always in connection with their character. But if you she has the classic Go Nagai villain mouth of a goddamn snake demon.

*Man you'd think after being gone for a decade the options for creating "bold" and "italics" would be easier. I'm surprised that I remember add them the old way.

Old 2014-02-27, 09:55   Link #112
immblueversion

Quote:
Considering the big reveal about Ryuuko's parentage, that might not be a typo at all. Remember how Mikisugi refers to her repeatedly as "Ryuuko-kun", not that different from "Ryuukiin" to this foreigner. From my years of listening to anime, adults sometimes use the "-kun" suffix with girls, but it seems rare to me. I know she's too old for "-chan" except in close relationships, but he doesn't use "Matoi-san" either, which would seem more appropriate. I've wondered about his choice of suffix whenever he uses it. Is it common for high-school teachers to refer to their students as "given_name-kun?" I don't think he calls Mako "Mako-kun," but I might have missed it.

I rather doubt anything that appears in Kill la Kill is by mistake despite the exigencies of the anime production process.
Considering the name was fixed in a flashback to a later episode, I'm inclined to believe it was a typo, and a coincidence.

Old 2014-02-27, 10:22   Link #113
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

OK. How about the "Ryuuko-kun" business? Isn't that a bit, well, intimate, especially for the initial encounter? Psychologists might suggest using a more formal method to address a young student who hardly knows you, especially when she is lying naked on your couch.
Old 2014-02-27, 13:35   Link #114
Gravitas Free Zone

That's probably Stripper Sensei being inappropriate as usual.
Old 2014-02-27, 15:12   Link #115
bastek66

Few pics from episode 21
Spoiler for 21:
Old 2014-02-27, 15:20   Link #116
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Few pics from episode 21
Spoiler for 21:
O_o it got leaked or what is this?
Old 2014-02-27, 15:27   Link #117
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
O_o it got leaked or what is this?
It's in the simulcast version. You can see it on Daisuki (not available in English subs but is available in other language subs).
Old 2014-02-27, 15:29   Link #118
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
It's in the simulcast version. You can see it on Daisuki (not available in English subs but is available in other language subs).
No, I mean the next week's episode. Is that from next episode's preview or is this an episode leak?
Old 2014-02-27, 15:30   Link #119
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
No, I mean the next week's episode. Is that from next episode's preview or is this an episode leak?
It's the preview.
Old 2014-02-27, 16:39   Link #120
chrno

Well, the sad thing is that folks in the other countries are getting their airing. But a few more hours won't hurt.

Closed Thread