AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-12-27, 12:26   Link #101
kingdom_elladrel
Ayu-ism

As of now, this is how I store my anime. About half of them, maybe around 100 titles, are stored on both CD/DVD and on a 320 GB SATA RAID drive setup on stripe. For the other half, they are stored on only CD/DVD, but eventually, I'd like to have all my anime stored on both HD and CD/DVD.

In the near future, I'll be getting 2 external 500 GB HD's on Firewire to backup ALL of the anime that I have. That way, I have 2 copies of everything, on CD/DVD and on the huge HD's.
kingdom_elladrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-28, 01:00   Link #102
onepiecelover

I usually just watch anime episodes once and thats it for me but if I really like them I just burn them to DVD's I can get like 80 bleach episodes in one DVD ^_^
onepiecelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-28, 07:36   Link #103
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepiecelover View Post
I just burn them to DVD's I can get like 80 bleach episodes in one DVD ^_^
agree, i do the same, when a series is worth burning that is
i dont burn every series i get my hands on, only series that i feel are worth storing up i burn on dvd, not lose episodes, i only burn them when theyre at the max dvd capacity or if theyre completed

i got a neath dvd storage system of slidding tubbes its a square box and if you press ont he side a drawer slides out with dvd's, a gift from my sister and if a series is that good and after 4 years i come across it in ou only dvd box selling naime store in the neighbourhood i buy it
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-28, 10:25   Link #104
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Bad news. I got a large external harddisk last year and then got lazy about offloading to DVD. The stupid piece of junk lasted less than a year, and now I'm trying to re-download the animes I wanted to save.

You can imagine how motivated I am to do that. :P Hopefully someone will hear my sad story and finally get around to backing up their harddisk.

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 23:17   Link #105
Nergol

On a big honkin' external hard disk. Thank God for Fry's.

I now have a 300GB external (for anime and other video) and a 250GB external (for mp3s, hard drive backup, and everything else).
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 08:36   Link #106
kauldron26
Med Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious View Post
Bad news. I got a large external harddisk last year and then got lazy about offloading to DVD. The stupid piece of junk lasted less than a year, and now I'm trying to re-download the animes I wanted to save.

You can imagine how motivated I am to do that. :P Hopefully someone will hear my sad story and finally get around to backing up their harddisk.

-k

curious
after seeing so many posts like this across the net, ive been burning all my anime and putting them on dvds. I can only imagine how angry u were when ur hdd died. my sympathies man. if u want i can send u some good DDL links via PM.
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 08:55   Link #107
Nk_Rizel

I used program that wrote by my friend for manage my anime that I got around 150 series, and I stored into my 250Gb X 3 SATA HDD. Now m looking for new HDD that have a bigger capasity for store another anime that I got everyday.
Nk_Rizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 18:17   Link #108
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepiecelover View Post
I usually just watch anime episodes once and thats it for me but if I really like them I just burn them to DVD's I can get like 80 bleach episodes in one DVD ^_^
Same here just burn and when i wan't to watch it again just turn the player and the tv on and have some snacks.....
Old 2007-01-08, 22:21   Link #109
traziemykel
Chimpira

i usually buy anime that i liked...
and i dont delete anime..
i keep them in extrnal harddrive.. try buying it ^^
traziemykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 03:59   Link #110
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
I don't really bother burning anything anymore. As for my DVDs and what not, I store on shelves, which I can't even fit anymore shelves right now so as of late I've just been stacking things in random places.
Koshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 06:25   Link #111
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

Dilemma: Burning 13-ep anime onto DVDs

I'm faced with a dilemma right now. My hard drive's free space is shrinking at a rather steady pace due to all kinds of downloads, but while I can burn any given 24/26 ep anime series to a DVD with no regrets (since they usually fit into 1 DVD nicely), I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the shorter series.

I could burn each series onto 1 DVD, but it's quite a waste of the remaining space on the disc, or I could also get 2 short series and burn them onto 1 DVD, but that makes it really hard for me to organise my collection.

So... What I want to ask is, what do you guys do with the shorter series that you want to keep?
ShadowrazoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 06:41   Link #112
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, you can go for regular CDs ...though that takes up a lot of space, and i stopped doing so a long time ago. I'd go for one anime per DVD - it is not that expensive, and it won't be a pain in the rear to find what you are looking for later down the road.
Old 2007-03-19, 09:53   Link #113
shiro83

I had an external HDD a while back, with quite a lot of anime.

But one day, the drive failed and I tried and tried but could not restore it.

Now keeping all my anime on my desktop and notebook computers...
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 10:23   Link #114
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
I'm seriously considering using an automatic Internet backup service like Carbonite.
It's a luxury at $50 a year for something I should be doing myself, but there's the added bonus of having the anime collection out of the building in case of fire.

Has anyone else tried such a thing?

O'course, they might change their "unlimited storage" clause once they start having to store my 7 year digisub collection.

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 10:27   Link #115
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Be sure and burn at a slow write speed and always verify the data ... I've encountered several instances of different DVD burners "burning successfully" only to find the resulting disks have bit errors because they can't actually handle it.

Myself, I have a two-stage system. Torrents land on a "working daily" hard drive. Once they're verified (watched), I move them to a large hard drive which is obsessively folder arranged. Once a month or so, I'll burn partial series to DVD .... but once a series completes, I'll archive the whole thing to DVD and store them in a hard case. I have enough time invested in them now to consider copying the more memorable series to another set of DVDs and throwing that into my safety deposit box (where I also store critical files archived onto disk).

I have a large enough manga and purchased anime section that I'm trying to decide what to do with those since many of them are irreplaceable (i.e. out of print).

edit: I find the "internet backup services" interesting... but thats a hell of a lot of GB to be slinging across the pipe that could be used for other things, especially since most ISPs have some sort of "fair use policy".
Old 2007-03-19, 11:17   Link #116
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Aye, the "internet backup" sounds interesting, but i am not exactly fond of the idea that i would have to pump a couple of hundred GBs across the net for safe keeping. Not to mention you have to pull them back should you want to watch something from there Seems highly impractical to me.
Old 2007-06-21, 18:08   Link #117
Necro-

how do YOU store your manga?

i'm talking about those that are downloaded of course, the problem i've run into is that unlike anime which eventually ends most manga tend to go on and on which leads to the problem of storage.

Unlike anime where u can just burn a season or half a season on dvd and put the rest on another with some other anime, with manga you can fit quite a lot of a dvd but due to the ever-continuing nature of manga you'll eventually end up with lots of different manga's on each cd and many cds with the manga your looking for, for example berserk - say you put 10-15 volumes on a dvd with some other manga that might fit then the rest go on another dvd, now you've got 2 dvds filled with berserk and the remained filled with misc manga A and misc manga B but then the mangaka released more chapters - and now your faced with a dilemma, how long do you wait before burning it on yet another dvd and if you do then you have 3 dvds you have to find if you wish to read berserk again!

SO, how does everyone store their manga!
Necro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 18:20   Link #118
Folly

While DVD's are a highly efficent form of storage if you just want the most space for your dollar, they are very troublesome to use and maintain for reasons you already described. If you can afford it, I strongly reccomend you get an external storage drive.
Western Digital makes some good storage drives, and they generally get the best reviews for not breaking down on you. For under $100 you can get a nice compact 320Gb drive that you just have to attatch to your computer with a USB cable and you can move files to and from it just like any other drive.
Search around on Newegg and Amazon and anywhere else you can think of to find the best deal.
Folly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 20:31   Link #119
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Yup yup! I just recently got a 500GB Western Digital external myself (which I have named "Kona" due to it's nice shiny blue LED). For any mac users, I recommend it; I wouldn't know how it works with windoze, but I imagine it's just fine.

If you can, I recommend buying the books instead of downloading scanlations all the time.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 01:47   Link #120
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
I prefer an external drive, especially since around here there have been a lot of sales on them recently, and larger drives (over 1 terabyte) are now in greater stock. I suppose Western Digital is a good brand, though my first experience was terrible - after 2 weeks, the thing crashed, taking 140 gigs of anime with it. However, given some of my friends' long history with them, I went with a replacement of the same kind (now named for the phoenix, Suzaku due to its rebirth). Anyway...

Buy large external drives, and keep DVD backups if it makes you feel safer about your data. Risaa reported success from a Mac, though I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't work with a Windows machine as well (I just have bad luck it would seem). And yes, buy the books if you can. Looking at a large collection of manga on a bookshelf feels kind of rewarding.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote