AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-27, 23:35   Link #101
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm it was great to hear the TARDIS while Bohemian Rapshody is playing and showing people wearing 3D glasses, but still not enough Doctor.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 23:36   Link #102
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

They got James Bond. No contest.
Old 2012-07-28, 00:10   Link #103
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I heard people suggesting that it would have been perfect if Bond brought the Queen there, the Doctor should take the Queen away with the TARDIS.

Old 2012-07-28, 00:11   Link #104
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I managed to watch part of it. I thought the forging of the rings was pretty cool. The look of hot iron, sparks flying, and clouds of smoke were just right. The Bond/Queen appearance was a nice touch too, although I did have to look past the daylight/nighttime/daylight continuity gaffes.

Endless "Olympiad" Soul
Old 2012-07-28, 00:33   Link #105
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
the queen face is good photoshop material

Oh, that is so freakin' rich. Seriously, the Queen was not amused the whole time.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 01:03   Link #106
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
So yes, though London's opening is very much more low-key, and though I do agree that many parts of it felt forced and awkwardly executed, I felt that the London ceremony had something Beijing's did not: a sense of Olympic sporting tradition dating back to at least 1948 (the last time the Olympics were in London), if not 1908. (I especially loved the symbolism of London's Olympic cauldron.)

Beijing, in comparison, was the mighty Red show-off, the arrogant new-kid-in-the-block keen to show who's boss.
I mentioned earlier that I was laughing at all the tsukkomi's on Chinese forums. One of the type is "next morning, people will make such and such arguments for the London opening ceremony". Here it is, as predicted.
Old 2012-07-28, 01:10   Link #107
tomtkp

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. The Queen did not look particularly happy at all. *no offense to Her Majesty*

Watched the opening ceremony early in the morning. It was a good performance but not as "spectacular" as the Beijing 2008 OC was trying to show.

There were a few segments I liked in this opening ceremony;
- Industrial Revolution part (it really gave me a sense of nostalgia)
- James Bond / the Queen part (At one time I really thought that the Queen parachuted from the helicopter for real but when I saw the Queen appearing from the stand, I was like , maybe I dreamt too much.)
- Mr. Bean part (it was hillarious seeing him pressing one key of the piano all the time)
- Olympic cauldron (while I thought it was nothing special, but honestly it surprised me at the end)
- Oh, and Sir Paul's "Hey Jude" as well. I like this song for a long while.

Meanwhile, I dislike the youth pop culture part. When the text messages appeared on the TV screen, I was like WTF? What were they trying to convey to us? Love culture? This is Olympics, right?

However, it was great when the creator of World Wide Web, Sir Berners Lee appeared. I hold a sense of respect to him really.
Old 2012-07-28, 02:10   Link #108
Random32
Also a Lolicon

The people making the London opening ceremony thought too much. Sure there is a lot about Olympic tradition, and small things about British pop culture, but it lacked the entertainment, excitement, and universal awesomeness value of Beijing's.

There were some good moments, but I was thinking "Please show me something awesome to make the all nighter I'm pulling to watch it." Ended waiting for Thailand, then decided that it wasn't too late to get a few hours of sleep.

Also, I heard the NBC stream was racist or something. Any comments on this? What exactly was said?
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 02:19   Link #109
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
but it lacked the entertainment, excitement, and universal awesomeness value of Beijing's.
I'll just say the above statement contradicts everything I feel about the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 03:58   Link #110
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post

Also, I heard the NBC stream was racist or something. Any comments on this? What exactly was said?
not really. they just cut several part for commercial like 7/7 section

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 05:52   Link #111
Blaat

Spoiler for image:
Old 2012-07-28, 05:58   Link #112
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's funny. Throughout the entire ceremony, the only think i could think of was that it would've been so much more enjoyable if were animated by KyoAni.

Anyone else think that or has anime officially ruined my life?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 06:08   Link #113
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I mentioned earlier that I was laughing at all the tsukkomi's on Chinese forums. One of the type is "next morning, people will make such and such arguments for the London opening ceremony". Here it is, as predicted.
Heh. Well, here's the surprise: I did in fact enjoy the jingoism (check out my flurry of posts four years ago ), but it was a different time, with very different priorities. Things do change very fast indeed.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 06:14   Link #114
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It's funny. Throughout the entire ceremony, the only think i could think of was that it would've been so much more enjoyable if were animated by KyoAni.

Anyone else think that or has anime officially ruined my life?
Its not ruined, but its always better to have a broader perspective of media.

British comedy like Mr Bean would not work if its anime.

Talking about comedy, where is Monty Python? Did I miss it or what? Or is it because they've always made fun of the Olympic games so they were not invited?

Old 2012-07-28, 06:42   Link #115
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
As for the comparisons between Beijing and London's opening, I strongly disagree about the "universal", "artistic" appeal of Beijing's show in 2008. Maybe that's how it would appear to some Westerners but, to most of us in this region, it was an out-and-out attempt to shock and awe, to show the world how mighty China had become. Spectacular Beijing's opening may have been, but it was nothing short of a brash show of capitalist might, deeply ironic given the supposed ideology of China's ruling party.
I disagree, while that can be definitely said of most of what the CCP pays for, besides the sheer scale of it, it did not seem as much a "brash show of capitalist might". In fact, I think Zhang Yimou's efforts might have been more subtle then most people (including the CCP) realized.

I read an interesting comment post on Roger Eberts Blog, by Tony Zhou who explained it better then me:

Spoiler for Tony Zhou's post:

I think Zhang Yimou deserves a bit more credit.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 07:19   Link #116
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Heh. Well, here's the surprise: I did in fact enjoy the jingoism (check out my flurry of posts four years ago ), but it was a different time, with very different priorities. Things do change very fast indeed.
Lol, here is a remark by a Chinese netizen (but you have to be familiar with the Chinese media/culture to get it).

Spoiler for Chinese Text:

Anyway, experience shows such discussions as we are having now never lead anywhere. It just consists of people choosing sides and exchange words. But I still find it funny that you see "Olympics tradition" in the Industrial Revolution (impressive) and National Health Service (boring), but jingoism in the 2008 ceremony. Maybe there is objectivity for this in the lens through which you view the world, but I don't see it through mine.
Old 2012-07-28, 08:23   Link #117
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I like how they had a moment of silence, so to speak, for World War I, but was there anything for World War II? If there was, I either missed it or it hasn't been shown on the US tape-delay yet.
The moment of silence wasn't just for the first world war, it was to remember the lives lost in all wars (if I've remembered what was said correctly)

I'm guessing that if the US tape delay broadcast had it's own commentary, they didn't mention that (the BBC commentary team did say what was going to happen just before the silence happened).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 08:46   Link #118
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
But I still find it funny that you see "Olympics tradition" in the Industrial Revolution (impressive) and National Health Service (boring), but jingoism in the 2008 ceremony. Maybe there is objectivity for this in the lens through which you view the world, but I don't see it through mine.
And I find it funny that you focus on those parts you found propagandist, and sidelined the symbolism of the cauldron, the passing of the torch to a new generation rather than to national icons, and the historical significance of London being the Olympic host for the third time.

Also funny that you've missed how, amid all the pomp and splendour, the Brits just couldn't resist taking the mickey at themselves (the Bond and Bean show). This is a people that has always been deeply cynical about authority and of anyone who thinks too highly of himself. Yes, it's true that London has pulled out all the stops to wow the world, but it's also true that Britons know a jackass when they see one.

It's just that you might not realise when they call you one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think Zhang Yimou deserves a bit more credit.
All that focus on shaping the historical narrative, yet what was the Industrial Revolution segment all about again?

Quote:
Anyway, experience shows such discussions as we are having now never lead anywhere. It just consists of people choosing sides and exchange words.
Aye, on that I can readily agree.

On with the Games. They're far less contentious.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 08:56   Link #119
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Also funny that you've missed how, amid all the pomp and splendour, the Brits just couldn't resist taking the mickey at themselves (the Bond and Bean show). This is a people that has always been deeply cynical about authority and of anyone who thinks too highly of himself. Yes, it's true that London has pulled out all the stops to wow the world, but it's also true that Britons know a jackass when they see one.

It's just that you might not realise when they call you one.
Another type of argument that was prophetized: "you can't appreciate the show (as well as other people do) because you don't understand the British culture. "
Old 2012-07-28, 09:44   Link #120
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:

She's probably thinking of the fun things she used to do, but can't anymore.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tags
olympics