Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Gameplay demo on the Mansion part.

Let's see here...

Creepy looking mansion - Check
Game based more on exploration and won't be linear - Check
Traps implemented during certain parts of a level as a benefit or deadly hindrance - Check
Benefits and side effects of health items - Check
Creepy traditional survivor horror stalker - Check

Okay I really like those features shown in the video, but the item system doesn't really look that impressive. Then again it's still an alpha build so it could likely change in the final version. I must say, the lighting and darkness effects in the mansion are really good, and it truly captures the whole "be sure to watch every corner" feel to it.

The bit with the health items really make healing a double edge sword. I find this to be fascinating as it tests our wits on how we can conserve health and the dire necessity to chose quality over quantity when it comes to healing. I heard talks of safe rooms, but likely you won't be in them often to rest and take a breather so often anyways.

Beside Ruvick I wonder if the Chainsaw will stalk you as well similar to Billy in Outlast. I wanted that guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Ok wtf?!

Rating - Everyone to Mature?!
That's weird. But I wonder if it's to illustrate the whole pending rating concept that the game is going towards? If that's the case it doesn't really need it as the game speaks of an M rating already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddler Naruto View Post
I can't wait to be scared ****less by Evil Within, always nice to scare yourself every once in awhile, makes you feel alive.

(I usually dislike being scared too heh)

Hopefully the game is even better than Resident Evil.
It's being created by Shinji Mikami-sensei who created Resident Evil so there's no doubt that this game will be terrifying. But lately there have been rumors that this game might gear towards a little action and that worries me. But for now all we can do is hope that the survivor horror is pure in this one.
Old 2014-06-11, 19:53   Link #102
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
It's being created by Shinji Mikami-sensei who created Resident Evil so there's no doubt that this game will be terrifying. But lately there have been rumors that this game might gear towards a little action and that worries me. But for now all we can do is hope that the survivor horror is pure in this one.

"For me, personally, why I came back to survival horror is that survival horror as a genre is becoming all action now. There aren't any real survival horror games in the world right now. That is the biggest motivation for me."

Combat will be limited to basic weapons such as knives, axes and handguns. Players will be able to craft traps, but there will be no "heavy weapons" such as a machine gun.

source
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 20:50   Link #103
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

You may never know dude. Call me a cynic or a pessimist or whatever, but after knowing that Mikami-sensei directed RE4 and went the action route (with or without his consent I don't know "shrugs shoulders"), there could be a chance he might want to explore that option again since it made RE4 a success and gave birth to other iterations based on that concept that followed.

So in other words = What worked once it could likely be used again. All that's left for me to do is believe that he won't follow Cashcom and in all their franchise ruining wisdom in the mentality of "Survival Horror Is Not Profitable Anymore" "Shudders in disgust"

Like I said: you may never know "shrugs shoulders"
Old 2014-06-11, 22:40   Link #104
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I think it's pretty clear by now that he's definitely including some stuff from RE4, specifically the third person camera angle shooting, while adding new stuff like traps, burning bodies and melee.
Old 2014-06-12, 00:13   Link #105
TaintedDream
Translator

The review posted earlier in this thread along with the interviews is really starting to make me wonder, if in fact the wild guess was correct.

The guess that the player / Sebastian, turns out to be the main antagonist that is, might actually be true.
TaintedDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-12, 00:58   Link #106
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
I'm one of the few RE fans that actually enjoyed RE6 (I kept dying during first few mins of RE1-5 and gave up).

I'll still give Evil Within my best efforts though, no matter how it turns out.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-12, 09:40   Link #107
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Old 2014-06-13, 23:24   Link #108
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Resident Evil creator talks horror games and The Evil Within

Quote:
Wired.co.uk: Playing The Evil Within, there are hallmarks found in a lot of your games --creepy mansions being the obvious one. Are there certain motifs that you like to put in your horror games?

Shinji Mikami: Nothing deliberate, actually. Asylums, prisons and mansions are things I looked into and researched heavily for this.

What sort of influences did you tap into for the game? There seem to be nods to the film Reanimator with the game's brain experiments, the works of Lovecraft with its tone.

Some of that is probably a coincidence. It was just us wanting to make a science horror thing! We thought it was a cool idea, we didn't know it would be like Reanimator. For Lovecraft, I was probably more influenced by [his work] when making the first Resident Evil. Not in theme, but in terms of look and visual identity.

The puzzles involving the brain surgery are quite disturbing, with the still-twitching eyes and such.

Yeah, I researched lobotomies and trepanning a lot for this game. Even the loading icon is about lobotomies!

What were your inspirations for the background and setting of The Evil Within?

Shutter Island, the movie, is one example. Looking back at Resident Evil 1 and 4, obviously. Silent Hill - not for me, but the character designers on The Evil Within love the games. I love David Lynch's work. And there's one Japanese TV commercial director I like the style of, but I can't remember his name!

Are you mashing different retro horror styles together with The Evil Within? [Protagonist] Sebastian is dressed like he's from the 1940's but the settings look more Victorian.

In terms of the character Sebastian, when we started this project we set the story in an earlier time, so that's why his costume is like that. But today's horror and action don't match well anyway.

What's your view on horror in games since you made the first Resident Evil? Do you think audiences' ideas of interactive horror have changed?

In games in Japan, a typical horror game is something like Clock Tower or Silent Hill but survival horror, the kind of game I like to create, is also entertainment. The horror aspect of the game and the entertainment aspect of the game have to mix together.

Do you think Western gamers view them in the same category? They might look at Silent Hill or Resident Evil and just seem them both as 'Japanese horror'.

Yes, it's a close genre but the difference between pure horror and survival horror is that in the latter you can defeat the monsters and feel good about it. You have to have that sense of being able to defeat a monster, even if it's tough. I've made Evil Within to be a very difficult game but when you finish the game, you will feel a sense of achievement. It is scary, but don't be scared too much.

How have you felt making The Evil Within for a largely western company? How is it different when making stuff primarily for Japan?

American production styles are more systematic. Other than that there's not much difference [but] most of the companies in Japan are shifting their focus to mobile and social, so I feel quite sad about that.
Old 2014-07-10, 00:47   Link #109
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Trade blood for Evil Within items and stuff!

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/09/tr...g-at-quakecon/
Old 2014-07-10, 12:35   Link #110
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Speaking of Evil Within and trading blood. One of our good old favourite Youtubers in the Youtube community has somethings to say about this news.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-07-10, 17:18   Link #111
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

^I love the fact that he says no gaming media or news broadcast has a coverage for this promotion of the game.

Yeah that's a mini rant right there on my part.

Official Japanese Website http://psychobreak.com/.

Also this tweet with tentacleBoxHead very funny Mikami

https://twitter.com/PsychobreakJPN/s...88376509865984
Old 2014-07-10, 20:14   Link #112
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Well, at least Mikami is having fun
Old 2014-07-14, 15:09   Link #113
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

The Evil Within/Psycho Break is censored in Japan. Interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7mRhBxYBA

The Evil Within having a prequel comic in the works.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bet.../1100-6419347/
Old 2014-07-14, 15:24   Link #114
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Any complaints from people that he's just another cliche white protag? lol
Old 2014-07-14, 20:31   Link #115
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

No, it's that he's not 'expressive' enough, or that he doesn't 'respond' to terror.

Mind you, this is in-game character model and not cut scenes they were referring to, which is stupid because once again, "Neither does Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Fatal Frame etc."

Quote:
The Evil Within/Psycho Break is censored in Japan. Interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7mRhBxYBA
Lol that's one way around it, I remember it being mentioned before that DLC don't have to go through rating systems.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-07-14 at 23:31.
Old 2014-07-14, 21:08   Link #116
Zer01

I hope the game doesn't disappoint
Zer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 07:04   Link #117
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

gore mode dlc....
anyways I remember the time 1996 where the imported RE1 was more gory than the US release
Old 2014-07-18, 01:29   Link #118
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The Evil Within will release one week early

Quote:
The Evil Within, previously dated for the week of October 21, will now launch a week earlier, on October 14 in North America, October 17 in Europe, and October 16 in Australia, Bethesda Softworks announced at QuakeCon.
Old 2014-07-19, 19:58   Link #119
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

There seems to be a 16 minutes gameplay video out there, unfortunately, it's being played by Pewdiepie... ~_~

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858007
Old 2014-07-21, 17:36   Link #120
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
There seems to be a 16 minutes gameplay video out there, unfortunately, it's being played by Pewdiepie... ~_~

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858007
I don't really like or hate on the guy, but I'd rather see others or just the gameplay itself with no commentary guy doing a lets play on it.

Tags
bethesda softworks, evil that resides within, shinji mikami, survival horror, tango gameworks