AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-11-04, 18:05   Link #101
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This time I was fooled. I thought the cats were the horror, especially with Zaruba saying the scent was everywhere. A ring that can control horrors seemed within the realm of possibilities, given what we've seen in previous series (thinking mainly of YamiTera).
Old 2017-11-04, 23:47   Link #102
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

One of the things that I like from this episode is that our MCs didn't really blew their covers or make a fool of themselves until they're ready for confrontation. In many anime, this kind of scenario is often ended up with the MC or inexperienced protags blowing the cover due to some idiotic action (or something along those lines) and then chaos ensues. That didn't happen here which is surprisingly good for someone like Sword and the inexperienced Sophie. Sword can even keep up with the convo of those bourgeoisie dudes, barely XD. He did his job so well to the point where the villain want to sleep with him . And yes, saying Sword's pseudo-rape scene uncomfortable is an understatement . It's like the complete opposite of Harley Quinn's "kinda-rape" to Nightwing in the recent Batman & Harley Quinn movie.

But all in all, the purpose of this episode is to acclimate Sophie in this line of horror-hunting work and to introduce and interact her with Gina. For that it has done a pretty good job.

Oh, btw, I've just watched the English Dub of episode 2. The English VA for the black couple is bad, like, really bad (at least for me). The male has this lazy Jamaican(?) accent and the female sounds like she has no soul. Both failed miserably whenever the story need them to convey emotion like anger or sadness. The male is only good during the psychotic burts and the female VA makes it obvious that she's acting her part (poorly) instead of feeling and expressing the needed emotions. *sigh* I hope episode 3 Eng-Dub is better. The rest of the VAs are pretty good.
Old 2017-11-05, 08:14   Link #103
xeviouses

Infiltration mission done right, so Sword, despite his brusque mannerism and looks can pull off a James Bond. Nice.
Old 2017-11-05, 13:38   Link #104
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Sword almost got to use his sword! Haha!

Good episode and intro of Gina, showing Sophie what she's really getting herself into. I too was fooled thinking it was all the cats. Who knew it was actually the actress.

Side question: She was so young and pretty, and thin! How'd she end up becoming so voluptuous? Do people let themselves go, or does natural biology and age take over? I'm asking this question in the general world sense, not specifically because I see it in the anime.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-05, 18:02   Link #105
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post

Good episode and intro of Gina, showing Sophie what she's really getting herself into. I too was fooled thinking it was all the cats. Who knew it was actually the actress.

Side question: She was so young and pretty, and thin! How'd she end up becoming so voluptuous? Do people let themselves go, or does natural biology and age take over? I'm asking this question in the general world sense, not specifically because I see it in the anime.

That guy was almost raped, not a funny scene at all.

She lost her shape when the monster ate her. Her shape is actually the demon's shape. And...that's not voluptuous, it's morbidly obese.
Old 2017-11-05, 19:25   Link #106
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
When his “opponent” looks like that, I doubt Sword could get his “sword” “up and ready” at the time to “pierce” anything .

I also wonder if Viola is a riff on Oprah Winfrey (but with a horror inside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
That guy was almost raped, not a funny scene at all.
Indeed, but it's a working hazard in his line of work (especially in infiltration operation). I mean, in episode 3 Gina also had to make a smaller sacrifice (by comparison) by kissing the a-hole mob boss to get his saliva with her lips. And Gina might be forced to go even further in her line of work.
Old 2017-11-07, 13:06   Link #107
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:

In regards to real world mechanics it's often a bit of both. As you age your metabolism does slow down. Meaning the amount of calories you were able to consume as a teenager/20 something and either maintain or loss weight is not going to be the same when you're a 30, 40, or 50 etc. year old. Lifestyle changes are also often a factor. If you were very active as a young person, and then transitioned to a more sedentary lifestyle, (think becoming an office worker where you sit on your butt for several hours a day, and then you go home and sit on your butt some more to either watch TV, play games, etc.) you'll also going to burn fewer calories throughout the day. People also tend to grossly underestimate how many calories they consume in a day, and the American diet especially is rife with calorie dense processed foods.

So a slowing metabolism coupled with a sedentary lifestyle, and a diet rich in high calorie processed foods, it's not hard to see why people pack on the pounds. There are of course genetic reasons, and certain diseases that can also contribute.
Old 2017-11-11, 03:35   Link #108
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yet another enjoyable episode that explores and digs into the characters a bit more. Animation took a dive this time, but not that distracting. So, Sword live in a China-resto? And I'm a bit confused about Sword's monetary situation. This episode seem to strongly imply that he's a freeloader and he provided compensation by cooking breakfast for the other residents. Yet, he seem able to afford picking up girls every now and then and going to fancy bars (with Gina). Does he spent most of his salary on girls?

And Luke has a dad that looks like Kenshiro with white hair

The horror is quite interesting and sly. Those who sat at L13 seat are really unlucky sobs. I wonder what made its barrier unstable to the point where Zaruba can sense it right away. The episode kinda glossed over that little detail. Did the barrier became unstable just because the horror got hungrier than usual?

Oh, and the English Dub for episode 3 & 4 are on point. It's a good watch.
Old 2017-11-11, 13:15   Link #109
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

The horror is quite interesting and sly. Those who sat at L13 seat are really unlucky sobs. I wonder what made its barrier unstable to the point where Zaruba can sense it right away. The episode kinda glossed over that little detail. Did the barrier became unstable just because the horror got hungrier than usual?
From what they said and how they acted at the cinema I thought it was because it was trying to eat Luke. Right after Zaruba said it was leaking pass the barrier Sword looked worried and started to move faster.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-11, 19:50   Link #110
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

One of my favorite episode of the seasons so far. We found out more about both Sword and Luke. Luke is definitely going to become the secondary knight of the series. I'm certain he has the skills, there must be something else holding him back.

Nice to see Madou Lighters back. Always liked them.

The lack of use of the armor is starting to become a problem. I think even YamiTera had more armor time than that. Do they have no budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
From what they said and how they acted at the cinema I thought it was because it was trying to eat Luke. Right after Zaruba said it was leaking pass the barrier Sword looked worried and started to move faster.
Yep, that's it. They didn't gloss over it, since Zaruba himself said it was because of Luke.
Old 2017-11-11, 21:29   Link #111
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yep, that's it. They didn't gloss over it, since Zaruba himself said it was because of Luke.
Ah thanks. I must've missed it.

Quote:
The lack of use of the armor is starting to become a problem. I think even YamiTera had more armor time than that. Do they have no budget?
Makai knight's armor is 3DCG. Wasn't 3DCG supposed to be faster and cheaper than handdrawn animation? If its true, in this episode they actually went all out with the handdrawn animation (except for things like the CG horror eye). And I consider that a plus.

If the armor performance will be as lackluster as episode 5, you might as well ditch it so that the audience won't be burned out by it (I'm looking at you, Crimson Moon). I'd rather the animator team use the armor mostly for really intense enemies. That way, there's something to hype up for when the armor appears.
Old 2017-11-11, 23:00   Link #112
xeviouses

Madou Lighters are back! gods above I missed them alot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
If the armor performance will be as lackluster as episode 5, you might as well ditch it so that the audience won't be burned out by it (I'm looking at you, Crimson Moon). I'd rather the animator team use the armor mostly for really intense enemies. That way, there's something to hype up for when the armor appears.
I agree with this, nothing hypes up a fight more than seeing a Makai Knight don his armor. It really shows how much of a threat the horror is. Plus, the original show seldom had full-on armor fights, it was mostly used during finishing moves.

IMO most of the budget goes to the madou bike.

Though when armor fights do happen like the GARO vs ZERO fight, its awesome.
Old 2017-11-12, 09:16   Link #113
Galaxian

Was I the only one expecting them to reveal that Luke is Sword's little brother?
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-15, 07:03   Link #114
B214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Was I the only one expecting them to reveal that Luke is Sword's little brother?
Probably.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-15, 09:02   Link #115
MgMaster

Liking the touch of Sword & Luke's homes somewhat reflecting on their personalities a a bit. Luke lives in a fancy but fairly empty looking apartment, in a high place that kinda goes hand & hand with his arrogance ~ no other distractions in his place but that sword shows how he's focused on the whole makai thing and not much else.

Meanwhile,Sword's the complete opposite, a rather humble place but full of stuff(like the hot blondie poster atop his bed ),punching bag & other things, reflecting on his personality that thinks one should understand people in order to properly be able to help 'em.

Really nice touches there by Mappa!
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-17, 19:19   Link #116
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMaster View Post
Liking the touch of Sword & Luke's homes somewhat reflecting on their personalities a a bit. Luke lives in a fancy but fairly empty looking apartment, in a high place that kinda goes hand & hand with his arrogance ~ no other distractions in his place but that sword shows how he's focused on the whole makai thing and not much else.

Meanwhile,Sword's the complete opposite, a rather humble place but full of stuff(like the hot blondie poster atop his bed ),punching bag & other things, reflecting on his personality that thinks one should understand people in order to properly be able to help 'em.

Really nice touches there by Mappa!
And the three bodybuilding ones on the other side of the wall. Loved it.
Old 2017-11-17, 19:50   Link #117
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, that escalated quickly. Sad to see the sister go out like this. If only Sword and Luke had been a little faster!

Luke's father turned out to be a dark knight. Not a very surprising twist, but it adds some drama, and knight vs knight battles are always awesome. And I guess it's Rook after all? We had Knight, King and Pawn in this ep. Luke/Rook isn't part of their organization though.
Old 2017-11-17, 21:06   Link #118
xeviouses

Was that Luke's father? Damn, another fallen knight it would seem.

That would explain a few things in the previous ep. The horror took the image of Luke's mother instead of his father, probably because of the animosity Luke has for him. It's easier to lure a target and get their guard down with a false sense of security.

Sad to see the combat nun go but while brief, she was awesome against that horror. Seeing a parental figure die in front of her will not bode well for Sophie's psyche though.
Old 2017-11-17, 21:10   Link #119
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Well, that escalated quickly. Sad to see the sister go out like this. If only Sword and Luke had been a little faster!

Luke's father turned out to be a dark knight. Not a very surprising twist, but it adds some drama, and knight vs knight battles are always awesome. And I guess it's Rook after all? We had Knight, King and Pawn in this ep. Luke/Rook isn't part of their organization though.
ja, tis a shame =0(. It's always nice to have competent female characters, and she put up such a good fight, all things considered. I have to say, the suspense in not knowing if Luke/Sword would show up in time was KILLING ME D0=!!! Sad that they didn't make it in time =0(.

At least now we have a clear antagonist of some kind now to tie in the current Horrors to. Been kinda feeling a bit like a random monster-of-the-week show so far(even though Garos are like that, having an antagonist out-the-gate makes it feel like it has more of a purpose).

I'm guessing the "King" is Sophie's brother. And probably Sword's little brother too.

Just to type what was said in the notebook:

Spoiler for :

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-18, 09:52   Link #120
B214

Well Sophie should've listen to the sister's advise properly.

Still El Dorado seems to be an organisation at the moment.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, garo, superhero