AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Zero no Tsukaima

Notices

Old 2006-07-11, 22:19   Link #101
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI
This cracked me up
Quote:
Motsognir's my familiar

(Originally "Waga tsukaima moto sugu niru yo" - "my familiar has been with me for years")
? Elaborate please?
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 22:43   Link #102
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
? Elaborate please?
It's only understandable by those who watched the impure version of Zero no Tsukaima.

"Someone" translated Osmond's line to " Moto sugu niru aka Motsognir is my familiar."

A case of mistranslation of "been with me for years" to "Motsognir".
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 14:59   Link #103
iczelion74
Lost Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos
Here's one. I'll make some more later.

Edit:

Two more.

Thanks Alot!
iczelion74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 15:38   Link #104
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
It's only understandable by those who watched the impure version of Zero no Tsukaima.

"Someone" translated Osmond's line to " Moto sugu niru aka Motsognir is my familiar."

A case of mistranslation of "been with me for years" to "Motsognir".
I had no idea what you guys were talking about, since "moto suru niru" makes no sense in Japanese, so I looked through the 2 episodes and finally realized what you're referring to.

"我が使い魔モートソグニルよ、お前とも長い付き合いじゃの。"
"Waga tsukaima Motosoguniru yo, omae tomo nagai tsukiai jano"
(My familiar Mortsognir, we've been together for a long time)

The above line in episode 1, where Osman was talking to his mouse familiar?
Old 2006-07-12, 15:46   Link #105
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

This seems like an interesting anime. Almost like an anime version of Harry Potter. I'll write more after finishing the episode.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 16:45   Link #106
yuusha

can somebody resume what happens in the novels because i cant read japanese and i know that the anime will cover up to volume 3
yuusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 19:43   Link #107
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
I had no idea what you guys were talking about, since "moto suru niru" makes no sense in Japanese, so I looked through the 2 episodes and finally realized what you're referring to.

You are right, his mouse familiar's name is "Mootosoguniru", first introduced on page 73 of book #1.

Perhaps they thought it was "moto sugu ni iru" but that also makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusha
can somebody resume what happens in the novels because i cant read japanese and i know that the anime will cover up to volume 3

They are called novels, because they are long and alot happens. Not to mention there are 8 of them.
In an earlier post I have elaborated on character development through the end of novel #5.
(I didnt want to post too many more details because that would perhaps spoil the story for you )

As for what the anime will cover: there is no way they will get every event in novels 1-3, there is just too much.
Alot would have to be truncated for that to happen. There is a nice huge finale at the end of book #3, so I can understand why
they might want to target that. But with the amount of material 24 episodes would have been a more comfortable fit than 13, imo.

Looking at the announced titles, after episodes 1-6 we will still be in book #1.

Last edited by Srin Tuar; 2006-07-12 at 19:59.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 20:31   Link #108
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
As for what the anime will cover: there is no way they will get every event in novels 1-3, there is just too much.
Alot would have to be truncated for that to happen. There is a nice huge finale at the end of book #3, so I can understand why
they might want to target that. But with the amount of material 24 episodes would have been a more comfortable fit than 13, imo.

Looking at the announced titles, after episodes 1-6 we will still be in book #1.
They already skipped a few events and only lightly dabbed on some other ones. I would surmise that this is pretty much the kind of coverage the anime will be offering throughout the whole thing. Fortunately, unlike Higurashi, there isn't a great sense of things being "rushed" here so far.

Volume 3's ending is really the only plausible ending for the anime (unless they want to pull a Shana and make up their own ending again), considering that the anime is only 1-cours. Vol.3's ending was grand, breathtaking, and served as a significant turnpoint in the overall story. Novel-wise, the end of vol.3 is really only the end of the "beginning", with vol.4 serving as the beginning of the "next-stage" in the story. But anime-wise, I think it'll make a fine finale.

The interview with the director has also revealed that although the anime's main plot will only focus on vol.1-3, they'll still be using contents from later volumes to add to the overall story (for example, from Siesta's sailor uniform spin in the OP, we know that the whole sailor uniform fiasco from vol.4 will be in the anime ). Past vol.6, the story steps into another serious arc with the whole war business, so the farthest the anime will go is probably vol.5.

There's also an original episode about Siesta in danger of being taken away by a noble, which is going to be episode 4, apparantely.
Old 2006-07-12, 20:51   Link #109
FlyByNite

any role which has Rie Kugiyama shouting urusai a lot makes me happy. It's like they cloned Shana and picked her specifically for it.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 03:19   Link #110
SinsI

His name is really "Montsognir"? Now that was unexpected... makes the whole point even funnier...

BTW, which qualities she really wished for? Was that devoted or holy?
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 05:10   Link #111
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Hazard a guess but

Spoiler:

Something about this show's appeal next to the fierce jailbait and seemingly hapless male combo. It's probably a warning of getting exactly what is wished for, the other is the likely reason why Louise hangs on to the poor guy so tightly. He is the result of her first fully successful attempt at magic. I'm betting after that she just kept getting better at spellcasting.

Think of Louise as someone with the headpower for magic but with a luck of 1 [in AD&D terms a chronic fumbler ]. The very moment she gets a break in the form of opening a dimensional gate and having a sort of lucky charm fall out she isn't about to let go. With that in mind, I'd say the girl will go as far as enslaving the poor sod for the rest of his natural life. Looking at how desperate she is at holding on to him, I'm wondering who is really wearing the collar in this relationship
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 20:31   Link #112
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 02 had many more laughs then the first episode, and its good to see this series can deliver some good old action. It looks like the mystery behind Saito's logo on the hand could be very interesting to see more of.

I can see it becoming a personal fav'.
Old 2006-07-14, 11:42   Link #113
Kisuke06
I see...

Espisode 2 was very good. This serie is going to be very good, IMO. Let's wait and see what else Saito can do.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-14, 13:23   Link #114
uruchai
"You'll be blessed!"

Thumbs up

just finished watching ep2; and it was better than the first episode, which for me was actually a good first episode. so, that says a lot about this series. the characters are really growing on me. i'm not usually a fan of bossy girls (wouldnt like Naru from Love Hina if her VA is not Yui Horie; and I despise Chidori from FMP). but, Louise, for some reason, I really like her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana3007
But the real surprise for me was the fact that I actually like Saito a lot. He is not a wuss or an idiot. The guy goes for it to get at the pretty boy and he has decent powers that he isn't afraid to use. Beats nearly half of male leads in most of the anime I watch.
I was surprised as well about the male lead. I mean, I was expecting another quite passive, half-perverted wuss to show up. but instead, we have this guy who speaks his mind and didnt necessarily fall into the i'm-such-a-good-guy character. he has some naughty personality as well (i like how he "ruined" Guiche's flirtations w/the blond girl).

anyway, I really like this series, surprising because it kinda falls into the "magical girl" genre (w/c i'm not such a big fan of).
uruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-14, 13:35   Link #115
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Episode 2 is funny! I think in episode 3, there is going to be a magic fight or something like that.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-14, 13:53   Link #116
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by uruchai
I was surprised as well about the male lead. I mean, I was expecting another quite passive, half-perverted wuss to show up. but instead, we have this guy who speaks his mind and didnt necessarily fall into the i'm-such-a-good-guy character. he has some naughty personality as well (i like how he "ruined" Guiche's flirtations w/the blond girl).
He does appear to have a (quite refreshing) mean streak, and he doesn't shy away from a fight. Poor Louise. Her pet human has a sense of himself. Unlike a lot of male leads, there appears to be a limit on the amount of nonsense he's willing to take.

Louise is very appealing as well. Her imperiousness was tempered nicely by her bumbling and incompetence as well as her sympathy for Saito during the fight. She's cute too.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-14, 14:10   Link #117
SinsI

I don't think she's incompetent, I think she's actually a genius magician
Spoiler:
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-14, 14:53   Link #118
LostBlue
祭囃子

Quote:

はっはっはっは... (冷汗)
これ、多分自分の事だと思う ^^;;;;;;

I couldn't make sense of what Ald was saying...
It didn't register to me as a name and I couldn't figure out what was being said.
I thought I just heard it wrong, and tried to find words similar (what I guessed):
我が使い魔、(ずっと側にいるよ)。お前とも長い付き合いじゃの。

I also take full blame for writing Osman here as well in the TL. I knew it wasn't but through process of elimination I figured that Osman was the Principal. Osman was written down as a temp filler but the script was used right away.

What boggled me the most is the first line in the ED. I hate the way it was sang. I'm still not sure if I heard it right... メッチャ聞きずらいぞ! (怒)

Well, at least I know it's a novel series now.
So, I guess I'll go find the books to prevent future screw up.
The story is not that bad...

BTW I was also picked up by WinDFS for Higurashi as well from EP 14+
Any complaints about that can be thrown at me as well.

TLって結構大変だな...ひぐらしに出てくることわざ、
火中のクリを拾うとか、王手飛車取りとか、トカゲの尻尾きりとかは英語に無いからね...
まぁ、似たような言葉で誤魔化すしかないなぁ、やっぱ。
後、暴力団は英語で何て言えば良かったかな? Violent/Riot Group しか言いようがない...

でもなぁ、TLは面白いけど、ムカツクのはやっぱTLの後の事全然加えられない事だな。
自分のTLはreleaseする当日までどう修正されたのは... ちょっとね。
例えば、「微熱」のキュルケをFever, Passionもしは Fervourで良いじゃないかと書いといたら
EP01見たら「Ardent」に変身するし... 「燃える」と全然関係ないのにT_T

まぁ、本当どうでもいいことだけど。全部微妙に外れてるからな。
[/rant]

Anywho, any complaints/suggestions/comments are welcomed my way (PM plz).
Both were my first attempts at fansubbing so any comments are welcomed.
I would like to become better at this ^^

Last edited by LostBlue; 2006-07-14 at 15:10.
LostBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-14, 16:58   Link #119
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBlue
でもなぁ、TLは面白いけど、ムカツクのはやっぱTLの後の事全然加えられない事だな。
自分のTLはreleaseする当日までどう修正されたのは... ちょっとね。
例えば、「微熱」のキュルケをFever, Passionもしは Fervourで良いじゃないかと書いといたら
EP01見たら「Ardent」に変身するし... 「燃える」と全然関係ないのにT_T
そういうのは翻訳者と編集者の話し合いで決めるのが一番。ただ、最近のFansubってスピード志向が強す ぎて翻訳者といちいちチェックするのがうっとおしい、という考え方が蔓延してて、そういった勝手解釈による 翻訳エラー(本当は編集エラー)なんて、日常茶飯事。編集作業に自分も加えてほしいって、グループに言えば 何とか対処してくれるかも。煙たがられたら、そのグループのfansubに対する姿勢が疑われるというもの 。

That's how it goes around here.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-14, 17:04   Link #120
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI
I don't think she's incompetent, I think she's actually a genius magician
Spoiler:
Possibly incompetent was too strong a word. I didn't mean to suggest she wasn't powerful. Her spells do seem to result in a lot of unintended consequences, however, which her peers find both frightening and funny. I haven't read the book, but at this juncture in the series, she does appear to have accuracy and judgment issues. This certainly makes her appear incompetent. Let's face it. You can have all the potential in the world, but if you're a chemistry student who likes to improvise, and you blow up the classroom every time you perform an experiment, you're not going to be considered competent.

She may have great potential and power. What I was trying to say was her penchant for screwing up, along with the way she moves from "hard" to "soft," makes her endearing. It helps offset her sharpness and haughty demeanor.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy, ecchi, fantasy, j.c. staff, romance, shounen, tsundere