AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

View Poll Results: Shuffle! Memories Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 7 9.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 7.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 5.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.95%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 5.26%
11 out of 10: FANSERVICE!!!!!! 51 67.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-02, 10:20   Link #101
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well... I'm kind of glad to see I'm not one of the few who noticed the fail points there. The phrase "bad fanfiction written by a horny teenager" just slices right through the episode. ("I the god-king will entertain myself by dropping phallic eels all over my daughter and the demon-king's daughter and the other girls I have been so protective of" .... wtf???)
Yeah, I know it was *supposed to be* a turn-brain-off-ogle-girls episode.... but I might have been more tolerant of "eels-slipped-into-pipes-from-offship-and-surprise-everyone" ....

As usual, the tragedy is we could have had substantially the same amount of silly fanservice but with writing that at least didn't disrespect the characters so much.

I also vote Sia for the Most Valuable Episode Saver just because of her one-liners. Maybe they'd have been better off just delivering an episode with Rin just saying, "Wai!!! I just choose you all! Into the bed with the lot of you!" and finishing out with a real orgy.
Old 2007-04-02, 13:07   Link #102
Maritime
Oceanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
well... I'm kind of glad to see I'm not one of the few who noticed the fail points there. The phrase "bad fanfiction written by a horny teenager" just slices right through the episode. ("I the god-king will entertain myself by dropping phallic eels all over my daughter and the demon-king's daughter and the other girls I have been so protective of" .... wtf???)
Yeah, I know it was *supposed to be* a turn-brain-off-ogle-girls episode.... but I might have been more tolerant of "eels-slipped-into-pipes-from-offship-and-surprise-everyone" ....

As usual, the tragedy is we could have had substantially the same amount of silly fanservice but with writing that at least didn't disrespect the characters so much.
You're right, what bothered me about this episode is that almost everyone seems to act completely out of character, or rather their negative traits are accentuated to ridiculous proportions. That's why I saw it as more of a Shuffle parody than a real episode.

Quote:
I also vote Sia for the Most Valuable Episode Saver just because of her one-liners.
Had it not been for Sia I don't think I'd have been able to make it through the episode, I found myself watching for the sole purpose of seeing if she'd do something funny or cute again.

Another minor point which raised doubts in my mind over the quality of writing in this episode was Sia's rope burning abilities. Aside from the scene in episode fifteen (where the group 'rescue' Primula) where she creates a shield, has Sia ever actually used magic? Maybe I'm just forgetting something here but I don't recall Sia ever using magic in such a way so why can she use it now?

Quote:
Maybe they'd have been better off just delivering an episode with Rin just saying, "Wai!!! I just choose you all! Into the bed with the lot of you!" and finishing out with a real orgy.
They'd undoubtedly find a way to screw that up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
Was nice to see the mayumixitsuki comedy act revived...I swear those two could carry their own spinoff
I think that Mayumi is a great character, I really do, but the whole Mayumi/Itsuki routine is beyond stale now. Itsuki pokes fun at Mayumi's chest and Mayumi destroys him, it's just the same joke repeted over and over and over again and it was never really that funny to begin with. It's kinda sad really because the two characters appear to spend a lot of time together and seem to be good friends yet after a while you just start thinking "Why does she hang out with this guy anyway?".

It's not the characters fault, it's just bad writing.
Old 2007-04-02, 14:13   Link #103
DestinyFate
Shana <3

Finally some new scenes

and the ecchi-ness of this episode rocks =X
Old 2007-04-02, 15:11   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@maritime: "bad writing" is an even shorter summation of the whole thing. At least its over and we don't have to watch the characters being tortured by terrible scripts anymore
Old 2007-04-03, 17:44   Link #105
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
ok, ive only just watched this ep, its been lying around on my hard drive since friday. but hey, was that meant to be a haruhi parody when they were fishing. as soon as mayumi said that line, i thought "hey thats from haruhi!"

禁則事項です
Old 2007-04-04, 19:49   Link #106
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I think I'll just watch this one instead of watching the first 11 episodes since it's only just recaps.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-04-06, 08:06   Link #107
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

I think the episode played to the series' strengths. I always thought Shuffle! worked best as a broad sex farce. Sia, Mayumi, and the dads are very funny. Asa and Rin make for fine straight men. Kaede and Nerine are great somewhere in the middle. And Primula is just Primula. She's an adorable, walking sight gag waiting to happen. I would hope to see a bunch of OAV's in the future, and that they would continue along these lines.
Old 2007-04-06, 14:23   Link #108
jtrog

I gave it a 8 out of 10. The new story, ship in 'gods country' was cute. The one thing they were missing that could have been added to go to ep13 even was Miss Beni(bara) could have been taken on the trip by one of the fathers as an apology or maybe her birthday gift and those 2 could have fought over her !!!!!!!

The fan service was funny since it was a 'well here it is' approach. Gotta love Primulas expressions toward the end when they all dropped back in. And the talk in the swimming pool before the water drained - girl going face in the water like to drowned her self at last for being flat chested hahahahaa. (bad at names at the moment sorry).
Old 2007-04-06, 23:51   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Maids ... got a point there. Anime Shuffle! was indeed more "fun" as a sex comedy farce than as melodrama. Ah well...
Old 2007-04-07, 02:13   Link #110
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
@Maids ... got a point there. Anime Shuffle! was indeed more "fun" as a sex comedy farce than as melodrama. Ah well...
But it had so much potential after episode 19... but alas we all know what happened after that.

Ah well indeed.
Old 2007-04-07, 23:15   Link #111
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
But it had so much potential after episode 19... but alas we all know what happened after that.

Ah well indeed.
Well, I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as a lot of people do. I do think Omegavision or Shuffle Media Partners were in over their heads on a several occasions. But they are no longer beholden to the game and the dramatic baggage that came with it. While I wouldn't mind seeing Shuffle! Memories animated, it might be wiser to ignore it altogether. I would be very happy if they would retain the rights to the characters, but put the darker stuff behind them (and us). Keep it light, sexy, and funny. If they must reference the darker stuff, do it in a self-referential, satirical way. (I'm perfectly fine with Kaede cutting the heads off of eels. No more box cutters to the face, please.)

They're set up to do this. Asa seems fine with her role as den mother/head wife, and more importantly, I find her believable in the role. (I think this is in large part due to her voice actress). Rin seems to have developed Keiichi Morisato Syndrome (KMS), so, heck, they could keep this thing going forever.

They're great characters, and I'm attached to all them. I hope they do keep the franchise going -- without the dramatic histrionics.
Old 2007-04-08, 00:10   Link #112
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
I also vote Sia for the Most Valuable Episode Saver just because of her one-liners. Maybe they'd have been better off just delivering an episode with Rin just saying, "Wai!!! I just choose you all! Into the bed with the lot of you!" and finishing out with a real orgy.
I think Sia is a scream. I appreciated her more and more as the original series progressed. She starts out as a ditz with a temper (albeit a really, really cute ditz with a temper). She remained ditsy and her anger management issues didn't improve, but she just got funnier and funnier. And I think more likable. Here's a Shuffle! memory for you:

Sia yells in frustration, "there is no God and there is no Buddha!!," as Nerine looks on in amazement. Nerine points out the irony to the Daughter of God.

I've read that the producers of the show are enamored with Mayumi, and I think for good reason. But I also think they've figure out if they need a big laugh, go to Sia. I really like the dynamic between between Nerine and Sia. It's not quite the funny man/straight man setup, but it really works. Throw Kaede in, and it's just marvelous.
Old 2007-04-08, 01:04   Link #113
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
I've read that the producers of the show are enamored with Mayumi, and I think for good reason. But I also think they've figure out if they need a big laugh, go to Sia. I really like the dynamic between between Nerine and Sia. It's not quite the funny man/straight man setup, but it really works. Throw Kaede in, and it's just marvelous.
And then what happens when Kikyou wants to come out and play?

Old 2007-04-08, 19:25   Link #114
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I wonder if there will be an actual continuation of the show. With their kids or a new cast.
Old 2007-04-11, 09:02   Link #115
Mashimaro
q8D

Is this episode the only one with new scenes? And does every episode have a different op/ed? <-- At what point are the ops/ed the same?
Closed Thread