Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-23, 11:02   Link #101
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

EP 11. Sigh!...........I HATE Math.

But then again. Toua on offense? Yep, Johnson is now on defense. Let's see where will this go.

Awesome EP btw.
Old 2008-12-23, 17:35   Link #102
neoeagle

i love this anime.I hope it is more tha 26 episodes.
Old 2008-12-24, 05:05   Link #103
VDZ

According to ANN, 15 episodes titles have been revealed so far...so it will be longer than 14 episodes. The list at ANN seems to suggest the anime will have 25 episodes.

Last edited by VDZ; 2008-12-24 at 05:05. Reason: [/quote] doesn't close url tags...how strange.
Old 2008-12-26, 00:43   Link #104
cleo

I'm totally addicted to this series. Toua is easily the best male lead this season imo.
Spoiler for ep 12:

Found some images as well:

Old 2008-12-26, 20:01   Link #105
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

Spoiler for 11:
Old 2008-12-26, 21:49   Link #106
Anime Daisuki

Awesome anime. At first I was a bit skeptical because of the baseball theme but after seeing it, it actually goes much, much farther then simple baseball.
Old 2009-01-07, 17:15   Link #107
eris_sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
My perception of Toua is that he's a hard-minded and rational to the very core. All of his moves are planned out carefully and he comes up with a crap tonne of contingencies so that he'll always have an out, regardless of what happens. He's not someone who cares about morals and will take to exploit as many rules as possible to wring the outcome to his favor. In short, he plays to win.

Because of this, it's kind of weird that he'd start pontificating about proper forms of apology that would send the message that the apologizer was truly repentant for his actions. The speech he did was very high-minded and laudable, except he's already established himself to be a completely amoral character, neither moral, nor immoral. He just plays by the rules, exploiting them if need be to get what he wants. As such, it's hard to reconcile that speech with what I see to be his inner mindset.

However, maybe he doesn't really believe a word of what he's saying (it's entirely possible). I'm thinking that the speech can be construed as an appeal to emotion and that Toua knows that it's the best way to get him that forfeit that he needs to keep his salary up. It's certainly an interesting line to ponder over anyhow.
Toua has given a number of high-minded speeches to his team as well. He is not amoral. Remember how he got into this situation. He "lost" a bet to Kojima. He could've had that black lady's support and claim he beat Kojima but he didn't. Toua actually has a lot of repect for baseball and the players and I think he really thought that manager was disrespecting his pitchers.

I've watched Akagi and Kaiji and Ookiku Furikabutte and I loved all of them and this one too! Toua has the combination of Akagi's cool pysch manipulations + Abe's great baseball analysis. As soon as I saw him I thought, hey that's how Akagi would've looked if he were drawn more normally.

My only complaint is we don't know much about the other members of his team except for Kojima.

BTW, isn't "One Outs" grammatically incorrect?

Last edited by eris_sama; 2009-01-07 at 17:16. Reason: typo
Old 2009-01-08, 00:30   Link #108
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eris_sama View Post
Toua has given a number of high-minded speeches to his team as well.
He gives high-minded speeches to his teammates because he wants to win. I mean, how much more obvious do you want to get than that? Given the structure of his agreement with the manager, he has every single incentive to want his teammates to play well so that the other team doesn't score runs. That, and I imagine he gets a thrill out of outsmarting people.

Episode 12:

Still a whole lot of fun and I laugh every time his teammates panic, the other side becomes really confident, or even better, when the team owner starts laughing. You'd think that after awhile, the team owner would realize he's being outsmarted every time, but somehow, he never seems to learn his lesson, going as far as to say stuff that's nonsensical only to get played up for the fool he is. Maybe that's because his ego won't allow him to admit that he's lost the game before he's even started playing.

But yeah, mental battles are always a welcome relief during slow times like these.
Old 2009-01-08, 12:31   Link #109
eris_sama

Of course Toua says what he says because he wants his team to win, but the way he says it, with cold hard no-holds-bar truth, seems to be what he really believes and he's just not saying something inspiring and pretty. He doesn't say hey we can win, but you're losers if you already have that mentality. My point is that he is not completely cold and amoral. Even Akagi wasn't. That's what makes them good anti-hero type protagonsists.

That owner's a hilarious idiot in a devilish way. What other companies do he own? I think Toua will end up winning ownership of the team.
Old 2009-01-08, 15:06   Link #110
LifeILL

I finished episode 3 and it was just brilliant. I love how not only is Toua facing off against other teams, but also the owner as well. This guy is just cold-blooded.

So I have to ask, how is other baseball anime compared to One Outs??

Like Major, is it just more of your standard typical shonen anime or is it something more?
Old 2009-01-08, 15:43   Link #111
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
I'd imagine that most baseball anime tend to be typical shounen anime, though I heard Ookiku Furikabutte bucks that trend through excellent character interactions. I haven't seen it myself though, so I can't really say.

Quote:
Of course Toua says what he says because he wants his team to win, but the way he says it, with cold hard no-holds-bar truth, seems to be what he really believes and he's just not saying something inspiring and pretty. He doesn't say hey we can win, but you're losers if you already have that mentality. My point is that he is not completely cold and amoral. Even Akagi wasn't. That's what makes them good anti-hero type protagonsists.

That owner's a hilarious idiot in a devilish way. What other companies do he own? I think Toua will end up winning ownership of the team.
Maybe that's because Toua knows that's the best way to motivate his team In all seriousness, I see the point you're making though.

Also, another thought occurred to me: why so much emphasis on bunting? I've read some blog entries regarding a foreigner's perspective on Japanese baseball and all reports seem to indicate that they bunt a lot more in Japan than in the American game. So much so that when they called Johnson one of the best bunters in the league, I just started chuckling because it hardly seems like a title one would aspire to. Oh well, I'll chalk this up to cultural differences.
Old 2009-01-08, 20:14   Link #112
eris_sama

Ookiku Furikabutte is with a team of HS boys but there are references to things like masturbation so it may be more seinen than shounen. There's a lot of intelligent analysis of the players, but unlike Toua, not everything works out all the time. In that, it's more realistic. The main characters are also more developed and sympathetic and likeable.

I think bunting is a lost art in American baseball. Maybe because the ball is supposedly more lively now or something maybe it's harder to get a good bunt. Maybe players here want to get a hit rather than sacrifice for the team. I used to watch baseball religiously a long time ago but not much in past years.
Old 2009-01-09, 22:42   Link #113
Lostdreams

Toua lost a point to Johnson!!! Toua is not god!!! This theory is wrong!!!
Old 2009-01-09, 23:02   Link #114
eris_sama

Toua did not "lose" a point to Johnson. He sacrificed a point strategically.
Old 2009-01-09, 23:11   Link #115
Lostdreams

Quote:
Toua did not "lose" a point to Johnson. He sacrificed a point strategically.
along with loads of money. Very well worth the sacrifice.
Old 2009-01-10, 01:40   Link #116
gonzo562

just watched the first 3 episodes of this anime. Damn this show pretty good

Toua Tokuchi reminds me of Kira from death note for some reason lol

Last edited by gonzo562; 2009-01-10 at 04:11.
Old 2009-01-10, 15:29   Link #117
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo562 View Post
But I don't want Toua end up Crazy in the end
Old 2009-01-13, 18:28   Link #118
ThoHell

Though I'm enjoying this series, I can't stop thinking "This is lame." Indeed the sport they're playing is baseball, but it's far from real baseball.
Old 2009-01-14, 09:27   Link #119
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo562 View Post
just watched the first 3 episodes of this anime. Damn this show pretty good

Or Lelouch from Code Geass.
Old 2009-01-14, 13:18   Link #120
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post