AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-01-28, 21:47   Link #12221
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
The familiar issue, I felt, is largely justified by the fact that what the Wolkenwritter did they did of their own free will. It can be argued, using that logic, that ANY familiar has the freedom to go against their master's orders. Hence why Fury's attack was a bad thing for expanding familiar freedoms.
The Wolkenwritter are not familiars, not even Zafira. They're autonomous magical constructs. Their origins are different from familiars, so is their degree of freedom. Expanding familiar freedoms is one thing, it being due to the Wolkies might need to be rethought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Looks like we now know who the baddie is
I dunno. Her punishment style is slightly different from... that person's.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 23:34   Link #12222
Vie
Rabid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
The Wolkenwritter are not familiars, not even Zafira. They're autonomous magical constructs. Their origins are different from familiars, so is their degree of freedom. Expanding familiar freedoms is one thing, it being due to the Wolkies might need to be rethought.
Which is my thought too. The Wolkenritter are rather different from the usual familiars. IIRC, Arf has never disobeyed a direct order from Fate, so that might be a sign of familiars needing to obey their masters.

Quote:
I dunno. Her punishment style is slightly different from... that person's.
Spoiler for yeah:
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 23:42   Link #12223
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
IIRC in the original series, didn't arf disobey fate by acting out against her mother?

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 00:00   Link #12224
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vie View Post
Which is my thought too. The Wolkenritter are rather different from the usual familiars. IIRC, Arf has never disobeyed a direct order from Fate, so that might be a sign of familiars needing to obey their masters.
although they're classified as Hayate's "Familiars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
IIRC in the original series, didn't arf disobey fate by acting out against her mother?
technically She did the same thing as the wolkys
Old 2009-01-29, 00:06   Link #12225
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph42 View Post
although they're classified as Hayate's "Familiars"
Classified by who?

Quote:
technically She did the same thing as the wolkys
Not quite, Fate never outright ordered Arf not to fight Precia. But Hayate did order Signum and the Wolkies not to gather Linker Cores.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 00:13   Link #12226
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Let's also not forget that classification may also refer to the unit's role rather than actual status.

For instance, the Arleigh-Burke class destroyer is classified as a Destroyer due to it's multipurpose role...but in terms of displacement and firepower it's really a cruiser. Likewise while the Wasp, Tarawa and America-class Amphibious Assault Ships are classed as Landing Ships, their displacement, tonnage and deck space puts them in the league of aircraft carrier. While these ships are classed as Landing Ships due to their role of supporting and deploying amphibious assaults, they are essentially aircraft carriers. Other nations have aircraft carriers smaller than these "Landing Ships." (It's also worth noting that these ships can, with very little fuss, be modified into full-blown aircraft carriers - just swap helos for Harriers or JSFs.)

Nevermind, most people here probably didn't understand a single thing I wrote.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 00:34   Link #12227
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
To clear this up, in A's, Zafira clearly stated that he wasn't a familiar when talking to Arf, and got rather pissed off at her for calling him one. They aren't familiars and are proud that they aren't.
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 00:44   Link #12228
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
To clear this up, in A's, Zafira clearly stated that he wasn't a familiar when talking to Arf, and got rather pissed off at her for calling him one. They aren't familiars and are proud that they aren't.
*Waves the Wolkenritter flag*

Yay for Wolkenritter pride
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 00:59   Link #12229
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post

Actually he said that he wasn't a familiar, that HE was a GUARDIAN BEAST not a familiar. Arf then yelled back that it was the same damn thing.
Old 2009-01-29, 01:06   Link #12230
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph42 View Post
Actually he said that he wasn't a familiar, that HE was a GUARDIAN BEAST not a familiar. Arf then yelled back that it was the same damn thing.
O.O

Then...are they familiars or not?! DX
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 01:14   Link #12231
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Thing is, they could be arguing about roles. As an AI program construct, Zafira is not entirely the same as Fate, who is a familliar created with Fate's mana. However, in the context of their battle, their roles are similar: they are there as support elements to aid in the battle.

Thus, while Zafira and Arf may not quite be the same thing, their role is the same.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-01-29, 01:15   Link #12232
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
O.O

Then...are they familiars or not?! DX
The wolkys - No, they're programs
but the TSAB has them as hayate's familiar (cant remember where i read that though)
But from what i understand Belka-type knights called them guardian beasts and Mid-type mages called them familiars but I believe they are the same thing
Old 2009-01-29, 01:16   Link #12233
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Like I said, Seraph, they're being classed as the same thing because of their role. Recall that Yuuno was originally classed as Nanoha's familliar.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-01-29, 01:19   Link #12234
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Like I said, Seraph, they're being classed as the same thing because of their role. Recall that Yuuno was originally classed as Nanoha's familliar.
I know, You just Ninja'd me
I'm just too lazy to do anything about it
Old 2009-01-29, 01:24   Link #12235
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Yeah, so, haven't been here in a while. Sorry all, but I've been busy. Been working on my book and my Nano-rewrite, little time for the 4koma. I don't have time for all teh backlog, so if you've written something and want me to look at it, PM me. I'm entirely too busy for IRC, though I'll drop by when I can (I miss everyone, damnit! D: ).

In other news, I need to get my mind off of some things, so I'm writing a one-shot. It'll be pretty long for a one-shot, but I want to keep it one chapter nontheless. Details are unfinished right now, but I will leave you guys with one clue.

"Begin the operation!"
Old 2009-01-29, 01:57   Link #12236
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

....D-Day Nano?! @___@

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-01-29, 02:11   Link #12237
Raging Heart
Lightning Devil

Send a message via MSN to Raging Heart
ok part three of 'Crossing Hearts.' is done.

Crossing Hearts

Previous:

Introducation, character profile and part one: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=12194

Part Two: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=12201

-------------------------------------------

Spoiler for Crossing Hearts Part three:

i know it may be short, but i am saving suprises later, enjoy it and tell me what you think.
Old 2009-01-29, 03:24   Link #12238
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
....D-Day Nano?! @___@
I smell trainwreck.
Old 2009-01-29, 04:12   Link #12239
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Well, I really really wanted to work more on this. So here is the thing, for whatever reason I wanted to make a series that had a crossover of Magic the Gathering and Nanoha. This proved very very complicated given the disparity of magic types involved. I changed my mind and took 2 of the five color pie mages and made them 16 year old privates under lightning squad as taught by Fate in stead of the cute Erio and Caro duo. This presents problems. The plot will still function the same as the StrikerS series which is not my writing so I feel like I should gloss over aspects of redundancy. Hope that works out, but I am concerned. Additionally, the direction the plot will take is far different and perhaps longer than StrikerS proper.

So the OCs have been in my sig lately. I am quite fond of them, even if they are nothing new in character design. I finished 4 chapters, but only posting one into the fire as it were. I've done some crack, but this is a full length work now. This will need manic surgery from the audience as it were. I want to be better at action scenes mostly. I know how to do romance, subtext, and comedy fine IMHO, but feel free to critique it hard. Thank you.

I am a yuri writer and I have my fav pairings. I'm not about to make everyone gay, but certain pairings will shine above others. Subtext is fun. It is shy of 4K words.
Spoiler for Animist and the Anarchist Chapter 1:

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.

Last edited by itanshi1; 2009-01-29 at 14:27.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 04:33   Link #12240
Raging Heart
Lightning Devil

Send a message via MSN to Raging Heart
I am working on Crossing Hearts Part four now.

if i can finish it today, i will post it.

oh if you want tell me what you think about the fic so far, don't be shy, rain me with your comments here or leave a message on my profile.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha