AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-11, 17:16   Link #12561
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
So essentially gathering spell-ring is made from mages own mana/cartridge boost, but attack itself uses any mana available be it free floating spell residue, natural mana flow or additional support from mage/cartridges in excess of gathering ring needs.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2010-09-11, 18:55   Link #12562
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
In terms of personal magic power Tia is quite likely the weakest person on the field.
Nove, Rio and Corona all possibly have less magical power, R+C due to lack of training and Nove due to her combat capabilities mostly being Cyborg rather than magic.

Caro though is a rank lower than Teana.

Quote:
It's always impressed me what she's been able to accomplish despite lacking the advantages everyone around her possesses. Girl is skilled.
That she is. Nanoha said Tiana was faster than her.
Old 2010-09-11, 18:59   Link #12563
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Actually, the explanation of accumulatory cannonfire (the type of spell Starlight Breaker is) is very specific in that it gathers all surrounding mana. Let me quote the booklet on this:

集束砲 – Accumulatory Cannonfire
Spells which uses one’s own mana to accumulate released Mana in the surroundings, then reuses and re-releases it as a bombardment attack.
These accumulatory skills are unique in that they allow reuse of Mana which has already been used. Furthermore, in addition to magic released by the user, Mana released by any opponents can also be collected and reused, allowing enormous output potential. For Bombardment Mages, these attacks can be said to be nigh-impossible ultimate attacks; however, in cases dealing with Mana levels greatly exceeding the user’s limits, the burden placed on the user’s body can be prodigious.
yeah, but i also think that it's the linker-core that permit the absorbtion and re-using. It doesn't mean Teana's SLB would be any weaker, but it *would* be harder for her to do it as quickly (absorption rate) and will have more crippling side effect on her.
Old 2010-09-11, 20:14   Link #12564
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Caro though is a rank lower than Teana.
She was when she was 10, anyway. But really, the girl can summon a godzilla-scale dragon. I can't really honestly say she doesn't have much power. Teana, on the other hand, has clearly been hampered by a lack of personal power in the past, and has worked damned hard to qualify as an enforcer despite that.

Quote:
yeah, but i also think that it's the linker-core that permit the absorbtion and re-using.
I don't think we really know enough about the linker cores to say for sure. They are the source of a mage's personal power, we know that for certain. Exercising that power can cause the core to develop, much like exercising muscles, and gives the mage more power over time. Extensive draining while the core is still immature can cause it to not develop properly, as happened with Hayate while under the effect of the Book of Darkness. And there is ample evidence that the core can mature over time as the mage grows older.

We also know that not every living being possesses a linker core, but there are creatures other than humans that have them. It has not, to my knowledge, been outright stated that some humans have them and others do not, but it seems a reasonable enough assumption. We know that without a properly functioning core, a person cannot use magic, and if the core is drained that person's ability to use magic is reduced to almost nothing for several days afterwards.

So... bringing this back around to the point, the linker cores are what allow a person to use magic at all, but we do not know that the magic gathered through Starlight Breaker and any other similar attacks is actually absorbed into the linker core. Stating it that way makes it sound like they could stop the process in the middle and have that extra power added to their own personal power. I don't think they absorb the power so much as they channel it, focusing and directing it, but not getting in its way. I think if a mage were try to absorb that kind of energy into themselves and hold on to it, it would be a Bad Thing™ at the least, and possibly result in a very spectacular but very brief incendiary finale to a mage's career.
Old 2010-09-11, 20:34   Link #12565
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Dunno of any rank changes in 4 to 6 years (ViVid and Force) from StrikerS. Remember, the Aces only went up one level in 10 years between A's and StrikerS.

Caro was A+ (Hayate: Caro's A rank, but because of her experience, she'll be A+) while Erio, Teana and Subaru were all AA rank mages.

For comparison purposes, Ginga was an A rank mage in StrikerS.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-09-11, 20:51   Link #12566
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Caro was A+ (Hayate: Caro's A rank, but because of her experience, she'll be A+) while Erio, Teana and Subaru were all AA rank mages.
Where did that information come from? Caro was C in the beginning of Strikers, and Tia and Suburu were both B.
Old 2010-09-11, 20:57   Link #12567
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Where did that information come from? Caro was C in the beginning of Strikers, and Tia and Suburu were both B.
Sound Stages.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-09-11, 20:58   Link #12568
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
One of the sound stages that takes place after StrikerS. Although it's Hayate talking about the forwards, and their potential for the future. She says something to the effect of "They could reach AA, except for Caro who would be A+. That's what Nanoha has been training them for."

Something like that. Indicating they could reach those ranks if they took the tests.
Old 2010-09-11, 21:07   Link #12569
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Sound Stages.
Gah. I can't keep track of all those things.
Old 2010-09-11, 21:18   Link #12570
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

REAL FANS CAN KEEP TRACK OF IT.

.... I just don't have time to re-listen and look at the translations~
Quote:
So... bringing this back around to the point, the linker cores are what allow a person to use magic at all, but we do not know that the magic gathered through Starlight Breaker and any other similar attacks is actually absorbed into the linker core. Stating it that way makes it sound like they could stop the process in the middle and have that extra power added to their own personal power. I don't think they absorb the power so much as they channel it, focusing and directing it, but not getting in its way. I think if a mage were try to absorb that kind of energy into themselves and hold on to it, it would be a Bad Thing™ at the least, and possibly result in a very spectacular but very brief incendiary finale to a mage's career.
Oh this brings back memories. (ノ´∀`*)

I guess you can also look at Linker Cores as total amount of magic that you can accumulate in the body. And only crazy people like Nanoha would go over the limit and permanently harm themselves.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-09-11, 21:23   Link #12571
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
One of the sound stages that takes place after StrikerS. Although it's Hayate talking about the forwards, and their potential for the future. She says something to the effect of "They could reach AA, except for Caro who would be A+. That's what Nanoha has been training them for."

Something like that. Indicating they could reach those ranks if they took the tests.
And Numbers in Strikers manga agree with assessment with they own "AA in area of specialization, A overall" about forwards. And they assessment was made before end of season events and "yet another half year of Nanoha training" after that.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.

Last edited by al103; 2010-09-11 at 22:37.
Old 2010-09-11, 21:31   Link #12572
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananoha View Post
REAL FANS CAN KEEP TRACK OF IT.
"Real fans" are nuts.

I still haven't read or listened to a lot of the non-anime material. I do what I can to catch details here and there, but as you can see there are some things I miss regardless.

Quote:
And only crazy people like Nanoha would go over the limit and permanently harm themselves.
Crazy crazy. Have to wonder how such a sweet girl ended up with such a brutal full-power approach to things.
Old 2010-09-11, 21:52   Link #12573
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
BIG BOOM's are addicting

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-09-12, 01:12   Link #12574
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Crazy crazy. Have to wonder how such a sweet girl ended up with such a brutal full-power approach to things.
I'm wondering if this is not some kind of archetype in Japan, they have coined the term karoshi in the 80's and it wasnt just for fun.
Old 2010-09-12, 14:22   Link #12575
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
She was when she was 10, anyway. But really, the girl can summon a godzilla-scale dragon. I can't really honestly say she doesn't have much power. Teana, on the other hand, has clearly been hampered by a lack of personal power in the past, and has worked damned hard to qualify as an enforcer despite that.
I would like to add that Teana is only weaker in comparission with the Behemoths she have for companions on Riot Force Six, and she's almost treated as having the level of "a regular mage in her prime"(Vice even points that Teana is at least DOUBLE as powerfull as he is). If she where studied on a more standar training camp probably she will fit better with her companions in terms of level(not only she have a pretty good level for a standar mage, she's also skilled and intelligent) but still she prefer to go to the Big Leagues and deserves recognition for that.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-09-12, 14:26   Link #12576
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Random side-note, the majority of the mages in the world are C-rankers. With even B-rank already being considered a big title. AA-ranked Teana already is far away into elite-land.
Old 2010-09-12, 14:48   Link #12577
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Random side-note, the majority of the mages in the world are C-rankers. With even B-rank already being considered a big title. AA-ranked Teana already is far away into elite-land.
True, I hadn't realized she'd gotten that far. The basic soldiers from first season and A's are A-rank themselves, as I understand it, and I didn't think Tia had passed them. If she has that much personal power now, she should be able to fly on her own.

Page claim for intelligence winning over pure power, I guess.
Old 2010-09-12, 15:42   Link #12578
prescience
Friendly Satanist

It would be nice to actually see that she is flight capable; the question has been nagging at my mind for a while now...
Old 2010-09-12, 15:44   Link #12579
Arkeus

given that she is using flight platforms, i doubt it.

OTOH, as said Vice is elite himself and doesn't have half of Striker era Tea's power.

iirc, it was said A rank is a wall most people can't pass. Tea is *far* from average.
Old 2010-09-12, 15:52   Link #12580
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Razed by feral ninjas.

Quote:
True, I hadn't realized she'd gotten that far. The basic soldiers from first season and A's are A-rank themselves, as I understand it, and I didn't think Tia had passed them. If she has that much personal power now, she should be able to fly on her own.
Sister Schach can't and she's a AAA during StrikerS.

It seems to be the other way round. Being able to achieve sustained Flight implies a minimum level of A without the reverse being true. Thus we know Isis is almost certainly at least A grade.
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen