AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-27, 22:11   Link #1241
KanaMinami

^ also agree, the least rating for me was for the second season specially when the animation was change, but the funny content wasnt change that much, still funny in my opinion

is the fairy this coming season
// Sig by ganbaru
KanaMinami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 14:00   Link #1242
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Rewatching the second series, it was actualy funnier than I remembered. I think the problem was it starting out right after the first series ended with such a huge shift in style and tone. This caused some problems, as well as the added drama problem. But going back over it, the added drama parts were not all that large (the boy may have been in a lot of the episodes, but generally he had only a single scene..usual of him passing by or something minor...only two real episodes has him and the drama that went with it). In fact there is only one episode I really didn't like of that run, and that was mainly due to the focus on the boy, who despite being given warmth of three Minami Sisters, still resisted being broken by them. It made the episode unfunny. (lucky stupid bastard) Other than that the rest of the series was fine.

The third series only has one thing lacking that I've noticed....Haruka being amazing. It had about everything else aside from that and the lack of the "serious face". The music, sound effects, and timing were all there again the third time around. (in fact the music, sound effects and jokes were still in place the second series along with the serious face...just their timing sucked for delivery of the punchlines.)
Old 2010-02-02, 00:38   Link #1243
Holgren

Can someone tell me the name of the song when Kana gives the chocolate to Fujioka?
Holgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 15:38   Link #1244
Patch&Quilt

Loved all 3 seasons of Minami-Ke, Chiaki is the best!
Patch&Quilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 01:45   Link #1245
Raiga
tl;dr

Started rewatching this recently. So nostalgic... well it's only been a little over a year but still. I'd forgotten how much I loved this show and how awesome all the characters and little running jokes and SENSEI! NINOMIYA-KUN! were. And Hosaka. Can't forget Hosaka. I also never appreciated just how good the voice acting is. The way Inoue Marina does Kana is simply... brilliant. Not like hers is the only great performance by a long shot, but it really stood out to me this time. The carefree energy and childishness, like when she's screaming Fujioka out of the apartment or asking Chiaki, "BUT... what PAGE... of the BOOK... did this question APPEAR... ON?" Absolutely gold, and just part of what makes this show so great.

I never watched past the first episode of the second season but I might give it another shot... this rewatch is really making me crave a bigger fix of the Minami sisters &co.
Old 2010-04-12, 01:54   Link #1246
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Push...get to the third season. You shouldn't be disappointed that you did. Hosaka's Curry Song is worth it.
Old 2010-04-12, 10:49   Link #1247
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Started rewatching this recently. So nostalgic... well it's only been a little over a year but still. I'd forgotten how much I loved this show and how awesome all the characters and little running jokes and SENSEI! NINOMIYA-KUN! were. And Hosaka. Can't forget Hosaka. I also never appreciated just how good the voice acting is. The way Inoue Marina does Kana is simply... brilliant. Not like hers is the only great performance by a long shot, but it really stood out to me this time. The carefree energy and childishness, like when she's screaming Fujioka out of the apartment or asking Chiaki, "BUT... what PAGE... of the BOOK... did this question APPEAR... ON?" Absolutely gold, and just part of what makes this show so great.

I never watched past the first episode of the second season but I might give it another shot... this rewatch is really making me crave a bigger fix of the Minami sisters &co.
I would watch. The 2nd season suffers in comparison to the first, but it's better than most give it credit for. I would still rank Okaeri as slightly better overall (both trail behind S1) but the better episodes of Okawari are really good. It's just that the season is highly inconsistent and contains one character everyone wishes never existed.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 01:27   Link #1248
KanaMinami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
SENSEI! NINOMIYA-KUN! were.
lol specially the game they played (Chiaki vs Kana) poor Ninomiya, always ended up being wrecked

// Sig by ganbaru
Old 2010-04-28, 01:51   Link #1249
cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The third series only has one thing lacking that I've noticed....Haruka being amazing. It had about everything else aside from that and the lack of the "serious face". The music, sound effects, and timing were all there again the third time around. (in fact the music, sound effects and jokes were still in place the second series along with the serious face...just their timing sucked for delivery of the punchlines.)
From what I can tell, they used every stored-up manga Haruka scene in season 1 and the mangaka hasn't done anything new with her in quite a while.

And also, the animation. I mean, I don't mind, but to a lot of people that's a big deal, and it is glaring at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holgren View Post
Can someone tell me the name of the song when Kana gives the chocolate to Fujioka?
That happens twice: In Okawari and in Betsubara. Which do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanaMinami View Post
lol specially the game they played (Chiaki vs Kana) poor Ninomiya, always ended up being wrecked
Kana gets wrecked in games in general (for instance see season 3 op). Which reminds me that I need to somehow talk you into playing a game with me...and to bet money on it.

(yeah, that was lame, but I haven't posted here in a while.)
(Edit: Oh god and I just realized I'm using a Chiaki avatar. Unintentional coincidence.)

Regarding S1-3, S2 is indeed the one that is strangely better on second viewing. But that original character they added was a horrific idea and had a tendency to weight down perfectly good episodes. I'd have to agree that S1>S3>S2. S2 has interesting moments and good ideas, but it's not executed well. S3 tries to recapture the magic of season 1 and gets a a significant part of it (Curry Song had us thinking the season might be epic.).
cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 04:59   Link #1250
fukarming

Season 2 is the least funny out of the 3 season, mainly because of that original new boy: Whenever he shows up, he just totally kills the mood. In a way, I think season 2 should be put into textbook of anime directing: how a certain character can totally kill the whole show, and he is not even the main character.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 12:02   Link #1251
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Season 2 is the least funny out of the 3 season, mainly because of that original new boy: Whenever he shows up, he just totally kills the mood. In a way, I think season 2 should be put into textbook of anime directing: how a certain character can totally kill the whole show, and he is not even the main character.
Exactly. I still have no idea how they even managed to come up with this character. He just didn't fit in the show. At all.
Old 2010-05-01, 10:38   Link #1252
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They probably thought he's be an insert for the audience (stereotyped lonely, young, male, introvert), thought the doormat aspect may or may not be typical Japanese 10 year old that doesn't seem to have a mother (we only see and hear about the father). He seems to move alot so he doesn't make friends.

The trouble is...he just doesn't fit it. Everyone else in the series is in some way "broken" because of their contact with the Minami sisters. The new boy gets into situations that some of the audiance would kill to be in...and he's seemingly uneffected (thus some of the rage and threats of death towards him after the one episode he really does feature in...six I believe). Also at first he seems like he is suppose to be a potential boyfriend for Chiaki...save that he's personality pisses her off, and therefore pisses the audiance off as well. He's not made likeable at all. We are suppose to feel sorry for him I suppose, and at the end, I sort of do, since he did try to make friends after getting pulled in by the Minamis a few times over...but then he is forced to leave. There is the sadness of leaving, but also that he didn't say anything to Chiaki about it...which makes it sad because she was getting use to him being there. It was just too little, too late, and not funny enough.

Fortunately, the boy is mainly a background character in most episodes he's in. Sometimes he's just used to get the plot moving, and the girls take over after that and he's hardly seen again. Only one episode focuses on him with the Minami (six) and it is painful. He gets some focus again in eleven (or was it twelve), when he leaves, and that one was alright...it was just, again, too little, too late. Most of the other episodes are pretty much like the rest of the seasons in content.

The second season's main problem was timing. Asreed didn't have the joke punchlines and reactions tuned like the First Season did, thus some of the jokes didn't work right. They managed to get it down later in the season and by the Third Season had it down again (aside from the "Serious Faces" which were missing almost completely). This is really only a problem for the first four episodes of the second season, and even then they have some good stuff happening. (one episode used the "Serious Face" effect in slow motion for great effect as Haruka slowly realized what Kana is taking about). Also there was "God Mode" Hosaka. His imagination scenes were limited the second season, but he's character model was remade to be I suppose the perfect body. Could crush steel cans with ease, and had a "GOD" beltbuckle for extra kick. Plus "Princess" Chiaki managed to go into full effect when they went to the pool. Also Yoshino and especially Uchida became much funnier and more in front for the jokes. (Also Asreed desturbingly likes Mako-chan, but the Second Season Mako-chan/Toma dynamic was awesome.)
Old 2010-05-04, 15:38   Link #1253
cicero

Sometimes I wonder whether Asread had bigger things planned for the strange original character and rapidly changed their minds upon viewing fan reaction, thus changing course in the second half of the season. If so, thank god they did. I don't know why they thought an unfunny doormat-type character would fly. At the very least, he needed to bring something amusing to the table.

The second season did a surprisingly good job with beloved secondary characters like Hosaka. Hosaka mostly lost his amazing fantasies (which really, really need to come back; I mean, just look at how godly the curry song was) but otherwise they took the satire all the way.

The second season was also the one where Uchida and Yoshino went from "friends of Chiaki" to strong secondary characters. And I miss the alliance-type dynamic Touma and Mako-chan had going on.

Second season: good mixed with bad.
Old 2010-06-05, 12:03   Link #1254
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Question: Is the manga still ongoing? The last OVA came out with volume 6 if I recall.
Old 2010-06-05, 16:05   Link #1255
cicero

Quote:
Question: Is the manga still ongoing? The last OVA came out with volume 6 if I recall.
Based off of what I've been told, ch.150 came out a month ago, so yes, serialization persists. (Now I just need copies of it...somehow) Enough material exists for a volume 7, but they're taking their time with making one. There was a 15 month gap between 5 and 6, so that seems pretty typical.

The author has slowed down his rate of production since he's also making more 5-2 and working on a new series. Supernatural, which is unusual for him. Girl looks vaguely like Chiaki and it's titled "That future is a lie", which I can't read without being reminded of Portal.
Old 2010-06-15, 17:52   Link #1256
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Good. I'm not sure but it looks like some of the Second Season episodes got made into manga after the fact (I could be wrong since I don't have dates of publication, but a lot of them are in volume 4).

I hope they get back to Minami-ke at some point. The mix of Amazing/Boss/Hime is too good to keep down....plus the Brokenness.
Old 2010-06-15, 22:07   Link #1257
cicero

Quote:
Good. I'm not sure but it looks like some of the Second Season episodes got made into manga after the fact (I could be wrong since I don't have dates of publication, but a lot of them are in volume 4).

I hope they get back to Minami-ke at some point. The mix of Amazing/Boss/Hime is too good to keep down....plus the Brokenness.
Hmm, I don't think so. Volume Four was 9/6/2007 and even Volume Five was 3/17/2008, which is right around where season 2 ended. Something like that. Since serialization is months before the actual book comes out, it's all there. There'd have to be something in volume 6 or something. (Amazon is a great source for these kinds of things.)
(Edit: Or heck, Wikipedia. It even mentions that the second season ended 3/30/2008. Should have just done that...)

I can agree with the second part.
Old 2010-06-23, 23:51   Link #1258
qwertyuiopz

gahhhh i really liked the char design for the first season
whyd they they it >:@
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 19:01   Link #1259
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Different company. Fortunately the jokes still worked (oddly by the third season the animation was about the same as the manga...the first season was the most different from the manga in places...and yet they had the best timing for jokes to visual humor (the generally named "Bible Black" Faces..even on the Tropes page...also known as the "serious faces").

I'd love it if the first company did another season in their style again.
Old 2010-06-29, 21:59   Link #1260
KanaMinami

Quote:

I'd love it if the first company did another season in their style again.
hopefully if that will happen, really like the character style of the 1st one? do you happen to know what company animated the 1st and the other season?

// Sig by ganbaru

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life