AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-12, 08:34   Link #1301
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
I teared up due to the fact that the lyrics really match up with how I imagine Yuki to be feeling during this time. As for some news, here is a picture of the two CDs we're waiting for on 2/24:

Credit to LantisSaitos's twitter page.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-02-12, 12:39   Link #1302
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
I didn't cry...I didn't see any reason to. I mean, It's a pretty song with good lyrics, bu I never get emotional
I imagined Yuki after Disappearance sitting in her home and questioning herself, which made me tear up. Poor girl, all alone in her apartment... She must feel so lonely there that she's willing to re-create Ryoko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I teared up due to the fact that the lyrics really match up with how I imagine Yuki to be feeling during this time. As for some news, here is a picture of the two CDs we're waiting for on 2/24:

Credit to LantisSaitos's twitter page.
To settle the otaku in me... Will there be any bonuses for pre-orders?
Old 2010-02-12, 12:42   Link #1303
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
To settle the otaku in me... Will there be any bonuses for pre-orders?
For the ENOZ CD, I do not believe there was a pre-order bonus. If you pre-ordered the OST and Theme Song CD from selected stores (including the Japanese side of CD Japan and not the international side), you will receive a reversible B2 size poster. I'll have pictures when I get it.

Edit: If you prefer not to wait, the Lantis movie site has a picture of the poster sides at the bottom of the page. In addition, they confirm that the a cappella version of "Sweet Oblivion" is the -sonority- version and that the "Dreaming of one day" version is the instrumental version as correctly guessed earlier.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-02-12 at 14:15.
Old 2010-02-12, 15:29   Link #1304
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
A question for those of you who have been singing the praises of Sweet Oblivion -- do you think you would feel the same about the song if it had not been done "by" Nagato and in connection with Disappearance? Do you think you'd have the same teary-eyed reaction to the lyrics if the song had nothing to do with the Haruhi series at all?
Old 2010-02-12, 16:58   Link #1305
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
I imagined Yuki after Disappearance sitting in her home and questioning herself, which made me tear up. Poor girl, all alone in her apartment... She must feel so lonely there that she's willing to re-create Ryoko.
I sort of imagined that too. But I didn't get upset. And...if she's lonely...she should hang with that Emiri chick jk

Can't for the 24ths...I might actually buy these albums.
Old 2010-02-13, 04:49   Link #1306
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Can't for the 24ths...I might actually buy these albums.
Me too. Or, at least I'm considering buying Sweet Oblivion. And the Disappearance-soundtrack, though being that I have no idea what the music on it is actually like, (well, except for my general expectations based on what I've heard in the series) I might want to wait till I've actually seen the movie before I get that.
Old 2010-02-13, 09:17   Link #1307
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Me too. Or, at least I'm considering buying Sweet Oblivion. And the Disappearance-soundtrack, though being that I have no idea what the music on it is actually like, (well, except for my general expectations based on what I've heard in the series) I might want to wait till I've actually seen the movie before I get that.
Couple of recognizable themes from the series, and some very good orchestral pieces. Worth it.
Old 2010-02-13, 12:17   Link #1308
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
A question for those of you who have been singing the praises of Sweet Oblivion -- do you think you would feel the same about the song if it had not been done "by" Nagato and in connection with Disappearance? Do you think you'd have the same teary-eyed reaction to the lyrics if the song had nothing to do with the Haruhi series at all?
Not sure about the rest, but part of the song's charm comes from the fact that it talks about Yuki and is somewhat like a character image song (similar to Yuki, Muon Madobe Nite, SELECT? and the like). That said, it's still an emotional song about the loss of identity and the struggle to find existence in the world. As an added bonus, Minorin is the singer

Quote:
I sort of imagined that too. But I didn't get upset. And...if she's lonely...she should hang with that Emiri chick jk
That Emiri chick is too busy pandering to the needs of the Student Council President Then again, Yuki probably wants to stay after from her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
The soundtrack was (is?) up on Youtube, so you can check it out if you want. It's an excellent OST as quigonkenny has said, and highly recommended.
Old 2010-02-13, 12:35   Link #1309
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

@ ultimatemegax

Was this the ed theme song for The Disappearance Movie::
Yasashii Boukyaku -sonority-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mhj1MyHF3Y
Old 2010-02-13, 12:39   Link #1310
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealkidHaruhiism View Post
@ ultimatemegax

My goodness. This is... hauntingly beautiful. If this is indeed the ED for the movie, I think I'll remain fixated in my seat by the song alone.
Old 2010-02-13, 12:48   Link #1311
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
@ ultimatemegax

I saw that about two days ago. I cannot testify to the validity of the video not having seen the movie, though it is indeed possible since they sold the CD at some theatres (which surprises me that it's not up yet). The echoy effect is the main issue that I have with it. It feels like too much echo is going on compared to a capella versions I've heard before (Japanese ones to be precise).

There are three other things that I feel devalue the validity of it: 1. The fact that only that version was uploaded. If the person had the CD, likely all four tracks would be up from that account. 2. The fact that it's still up. Someone here posted the OST from the movie and it was taken down within the next couple of days. If they left it up, it may not be valid (especially since the title and text are in Japanese, meaning it's an easy search for Lantis). 3. The poster put " 試し♪" beside "The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya Theme Song". That (according to Rikaichan) means "test or trial." The person may be trying to imitate the ED with audio downloaded from the PV, creating that extra echo.

If it is indeed the a cappella version, then I do apologize. I just have my doubts about the validity of this audio at this point.

Old 2010-02-13, 13:58   Link #1312
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
I saw that about two days ago. I cannot testify to the validity of the video not having seen the movie, though it is indeed possible since they sold the CD at some theatres (which surprises me that it's not up yet). The echoy effect is the main issue that I have with it. It feels like too much echo is going on compared to a capella versions I've heard before (Japanese ones to be precise).

There are three other things that I feel devalue the validity of it: 1. The fact that only that version was uploaded. If the person had the CD, likely all four tracks would be up from that account. 2. The fact that it's still up. Someone here posted the OST from the movie and it was taken down within the next couple of days. If they left it up, it may not be valid (especially since the title and text are in Japanese, meaning it's an easy search for Lantis). 3. The poster put " 試し♪" beside "The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya Theme Song". That (according to Rikaichan) means "test or trial." The person may be trying to imitate the ED with audio downloaded from the PV, creating that extra echo.

If it is indeed the a cappella version, then I do apologize. I just have my doubts about the validity of this audio at this point.
If it is -sonority-, then I guessed correctly about which was the a capella... ^_^
Old 2010-02-16, 06:23   Link #1313
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
If it is -sonority-, then I guessed correctly about which was the a capella... ^_^
After you posted, I started thinking that you are right that -sonority- was the a capella. Even if that video is fake, the person likely went to the movie and made it to hold over until the official release next week.

Onto news, as I know some of you like to know special gifts that overseas fans won't have the possibility of getting. As a thank you present for buying the "Sweet Oblivion" CD, some stores are offering a special postcard of Minori from the PV on a first-come-first-serve basis next Wednesday. Here is a sample picture:

Old 2010-02-16, 13:40   Link #1314
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Onto news, as I know some of you like to know special gifts that overseas fans won't have the possibility of getting. As a thank you present for buying the "Sweet Oblivion" CD, some stores are offering a special postcard of Minori from the PV on a first-come-first-serve basis next Wednesday. Here is a sample picture:
NOOOOO~ Minorin!

Thank you Koizumi Megax-san. You just made me drunk with jealousy and want (for the postcard, that is).

That being said, I have a burning question to ask. I was on a local forum and they were discussing about the Korea-craze that's been hitting Asia. It evolved to a criticism of K-Pop and music in general. To defend his point, a poster posted a video link of Aya Hirano at Gekisou and said 'Just so you know, I'm not biased. Aya Hirano is Japanese and she's the worst singer ever. It's just that no one complained when she was singing all the Haruhi songs.'

So here's my question; I know there's been a lot of criticism of Aya Hirano (according to someone here, you either hate her or love her), but in general, how much do y'all think of our love for music stems from our love of the anime? Do we just go along with it because it's tied in with it?

Personally, I enjoy Aya Hirano's singing, especially live where she has so much energy that it comes through the song. What I don't really enjoy, however, is Yuko Goto's singing at Gekisou. I was... speechless. I remember thinking, 'This is Mikuru?' after watching it.

To me, the top 3 singers from the Haruhi series are Minorin (no surprise), Natsuko (her performance at Gekisou blew me away) and Daisuke Ono (he just oozes magic, like Itsuki). Though admittedly, all of them are impressive in their own ways.
Old 2010-02-16, 18:16   Link #1315
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
NOOOOO~ Minorin!

Thank you Koizumi Megax-san. You just made me drunk with jealousy and want (for the postcard, that is).

That being said, I have a burning question to ask. I was on a local forum and they were discussing about the Korea-craze that's been hitting Asia. It evolved to a criticism of K-Pop and music in general. To defend his point, a poster posted a video link of Aya Hirano at Gekisou and said 'Just so you know, I'm not biased. Aya Hirano is Japanese and she's the worst singer ever. It's just that no one complained when she was singing all the Haruhi songs.'

So here's my question; I know there's been a lot of criticism of Aya Hirano (according to someone here, you either hate her or love her), but in general, how much do y'all think of our love for music stems from our love of the anime? Do we just go along with it because it's tied in with it?

Personally, I enjoy Aya Hirano's singing, especially live where she has so much energy that it comes through the song. What I don't really enjoy, however, is Yuko Goto's singing at Gekisou. I was... speechless. I remember thinking, 'This is Mikuru?' after watching it.

To me, the top 3 singers from the Haruhi series are Minorin (no surprise), Natsuko (her performance at Gekisou blew me away) and Daisuke Ono (he just oozes magic, like Itsuki). Though admittedly, all of them are impressive in their own ways.
Natsuko's performance at Gekisou was horrible, in my opinion. But I can't blame her - she spent two weeks practicing Koyubi de Gyu! to perfection then was told two days before the concert she had to switch to COOL EDITION.

She's a fine singer otherwise.

I'm not into Daisuke's voice, but I'm somewhat into Yuki(Matsuoka)'s voice. Even if she's not a good singer, she sure as hell had fun up there.
Old 2010-02-16, 20:21   Link #1316
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

Quote:
@ ultimatemegax

The video is no longer available due to a copyright by Lantis.
Old 2010-02-16, 20:23   Link #1317
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
The video is no longer available due to a copyright by Lantis.
Then it must have been the actual track.

By the way, why is it always translated as "sweet oblivion"? It should technically be "gentle oblivion".
Old 2010-02-16, 21:17   Link #1318
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Then it must have been the actual track.

By the way, why is it always translated as "sweet oblivion"? It should technically be "gentle oblivion".
It may or may not be the exact track, but it is interesting that it took that long for Lantis to issue a copyright takedown. As for your question, back in December I did translate it as your exact useage, but my persuasive powers are little compared to that of Google translation, which has that as their translation and as such has been adopted here.

Quote:
NOOOOO~ Minorin!

Aya-san suffers greatly from being the main character seijuu for a series with an absolutely amazing vocalist that would make most voice actresses seem pale in comparison. As such, most of the music has to come from her instead of Minorin (except for this one instance where they did decide to go with the correct character vocalist). I think her singing style fits Haruhi perfectly, but as for herself, I cannot testify as I have not heard enough of her other songs to pass correct judgement. In the case of Goto-san's live performance, I think it's more to do with the style of her singing voice being so high pitched that it doesn't work as well live.

I prefer Natsuko-san's live version of COOL EDITION over the CD version, but that is a pure personal preference. She was able to preform both songs well on the CD. I didn't care too much for Yuki-san's first two songs, but the second CD (especially Matsutte Matsutte! Irassha~i) is much more to my liking. I'm not a fan of Sugita-san's singing style, but it amuses me that the vocals for Homo Sapiens Rhapsody fit Suigta-san better than Kyon compared to the other three songs.

For Koizumi, I cannot picture anyone else voicing or singing for him than Ono-san. His performances are so absolutely enjoyable and never fail to make me smile. He is a wonderful character to be around (especially when he's yelling "Erotic" for Adult Mikuru at the cast greeting). If they ever have to get another seijuu for Koizumi, I shall start a riot for the glory of Itsuki Koizumi!

I enjoy the songs due to the fact that I am such a fan of the series and it adds another dimension to the characters. If the songs were not attached to the show, I do not know if my enjoyment of them would change or remain constant.

Edit: It's almost hilarious at how I have mismanaged my recent order. At a specific store in Japan, when you purchase the ENOZ CD, you will get a copy of a publicity photo made from the Yuki/Haruhi image on the front. I am most definitely keeping this in mind for future orders from Japan. My middle-woman will be getting my order for the Disappearance movie most definitely now, regardless of how late it will arrive compared to Amazon Japan.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-02-16 at 21:39.
Old 2010-02-16, 21:44   Link #1319
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
It may or may not be the exact track, but it is interesting that it took that long for Lantis to issue a copyright takedown. As for your question, back in December I did translate it as your exact useage, but my persuasive powers are little compared to that of Google translation, which has that as their translation and as such has been adopted here.

Aya-san suffers greatly from being the main character seijuu for a series with an absolutely amazing vocalist that would make most voice actresses seem pale in comparison. As such, most of the music has to come from her instead of Minorin (except for this one instance where they did decide to go with the correct character vocalist). I think her singing style fits Haruhi perfectly, but as for herself, I cannot testify as I have not heard enough of her other songs to pass correct judgement. In the case of Goto-san's live performance, I think it's more to do with the style of her singing voice being so high pitched that it doesn't work as well live.

I prefer Natsuko-san's live version of COOL EDITION over the CD version, but that is a pure personal preference. She was able to preform both songs well on the CD. I didn't care too much for Yuki-san's first two songs, but the second CD (especially Matsutte Matsutte! Irassha~i) is much more to my liking. I'm not a fan of Sugita-san's singing style, but it amuses me that the vocals for Homo Sapiens Rhapsody fit Suigta-san better than Kyon compared to the other three songs.

For Koizumi, I cannot picture anyone else voicing or singing for him than Ono-san. His performances are so absolutely enjoyable and never fail to make me smile. He is a wonderful character to be around (especially when he's yelling "Erotic" for Adult Mikuru at the cast greeting). If they ever have to get another seijuu for Koizumi, I shall start a riot for the glory of Itsuki Koizumi!

I enjoy the songs due to the fact that I am such a fan of the series and it adds another dimension to the characters. If the songs were not attached to the show, I do not know if my enjoyment of them would change or remain constant.

Edit: It's almost hilarious at how I have mismanaged my recent order. At a specific store in Japan, when you purchase the ENOZ CD, you will get a copy of a publicity photo made from the Yuki/Haruhi image on the front. I am most definitely keeping this in mind for future orders from Japan. My middle-woman will be getting my order for the Disappearance movie most definitely now, regardless of how late it will arrive compared to Amazon Japan.
Hehe...Ono has to voice Koizumi. That I'm certain. Even though I don't like his singing voice too much, his normal voice is just ~fabulous~.

"Tender Oblivion" was popularized by the Haruhi Wiki and seems to be popular now.

As for Sugita, he's definitely a fitting voice for Kyon musically. Speaking-wise, I'm in two minds. Sugita's a little too intense for Kyon. Kyon in the novels is much more calm and collected and somewhat more different than Sugita's portrayal in the anime. But I can't think of another seiyuu that would fit Kyon as well.
Old 2010-02-17, 09:39   Link #1320
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
As for Sugita, he's definitely a fitting voice for Kyon musically. Speaking-wise, I'm in two minds. Sugita's a little too intense for Kyon. Kyon in the novels is much more calm and collected and somewhat more different than Sugita's portrayal in the anime. But I can't think of another seiyuu that would fit Kyon as well.
Crispin Freeman (Kyon's English VA, of course) has been touted by some as having been better than Sugita, but he is one of those few American VA's to have reached some semblance of (English-speaking) otaku fandom, so there's a lot of bias. I myself have always thought he was a very talented VA, and did a wonderful job as Kyon, just not as well as Sugita. Although I am man enough to admit that if I'd heard rhe English dub first, I might feel different about it. Which you hear first does bestow a lot of bias.