AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-12-02, 20:34   Link #1301
Akane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
If I may jest a little... guys, there are two solutions to this old/new Banri conundrum:

1) harem end OR

Spoiler for Comparison to Toradora:

... and obviously, I meta-bet on the later
Spoiler for Toradora!:
Akane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 22:02   Link #1302
Preciize
Them Feels~

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Basically her number one reason for saying no to him in the past is because she didn't want to risk breaking the relationship she had with him. But Banri had basically put it all on the line, so if she didn't say yes to him in the past, she would have been walking out of his life forever. But now, she's back in the same dilemma: if she says yes, she risks ruining the relationship they've re-built and could certainly torpedo his growing relationship with Kouko. So I agree that she said that mostly in considering current Banri, and it wasn't what she would have said in the past. Linda's "problem" is that she's too afraid of hurting others to be honest with her feelings, and that in turn hurts others. So her only way out of this whole thing will to, at some point, finally just be honest.
Yeah, I think the old Tada will be pretty aggressive with his feelings this time and cause her to finally admit how she really feels about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The only thing that worries me about ghost Banri is that I find the idea of him literally possessing the body quite strange. Banri is a scary person if he literally has developed a split personality. They don't share each other's memories? That's not how I remember simple amnesia working !

We'll see where they go with this, but I question that they'd opt for split personality over the memories simply coming back to him. What would Banri do if he remembered everything? Seems like this is a more convenient plot excuse to ignore that question for the time being.
What I'm wondering right now is if Banri has a split personality now or if the old Banri has completely taken over the body. Honestly, I'd like it to be the new Banri with all his memories regained. Having the old Banri back seems like it'll be pretty weird, with him going 180 on Koko. It would be much more interesting if it was the new Banri with his memories back as that'll create better development in my opinion.
Old 2013-12-02, 22:46   Link #1303
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciize View Post
What I'm wondering right now is if Banri has a split personality now or if the old Banri has completely taken over the body. Honestly, I'd like it to be the new Banri with all his memories regained. Having the old Banri back seems like it'll be pretty weird, with him going 180 on Koko. It would be much more interesting if it was the new Banri with his memories back as that'll create better development in my opinion.
The author might want:

Old Banri to chase Linda
Linda torns between Old Banri and Koko
Koko fights back
Linda accepts Old Banri and fights Koko
New Banri comes back fights with Old Banri
Whole Banri gets confuse and get into accident
Whole Banri remembers past
Old Banri surrenders to New Banri
Linda rejected
BanrixKoko....^^
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 23:35   Link #1304
Preciize
Them Feels~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
The author might want:

Old Banri to chase Linda
Linda torns between Old Banri and Koko
Koko fights back
Linda accepts Old Banri and fights Koko
Whole Banri gets confuse and get into accident
Whole Banri remembers past
Old Banri surrenders to New Banri
Linda rejected
BanrixKoko....^^
What about whole Banri torn between Koko and Linda?
Old 2013-12-02, 23:48   Link #1305
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
What about whole Banri torn between Koko and Linda?

Whole Banri gets confuse.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 00:37   Link #1306
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm 100% for New Banri. Who he ends up with, if anyone, is up to him. But I admire his willingness to go forward, and not mess with the past. Yes, something obviously will catch up with him, but he himself is new, not just the frustrated wimp he was.

To me, it's important to be able to let the past go and go forward. I suppose it's unrealistic, to an extent, but otherwise, we are all stuck where we have always been, and there is no hope of change.

So this means I do not like the latest development, and hope Thursday brings us some change. He can certainly decide to go with Linda, who is a lot more stable and easy to get along with, and has enough inner strength to be able to help others, rather than just being locked up in her own problems. But I don't want him to go back to the old Banri (at least the old him portrayed earlier; a little new Banri crept incongruously into his personality in the flashbacks in this episode).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 00:49   Link #1307
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

I'm still sticking with 50/50 on Koko & Linda. Cause I'm here to enjoy the drama.

Well, yeah. Letting go of the past is a good thing, especially those who had a bad memories about those days back then. But, should you completely forget everything about your past while pursuing for a little bit of bliss? Would you find those bad past helpful for you to face your 'ghosts & demons of the past' in order to grow up until you eventually get your problems done and over with?
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 00:55   Link #1308
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But I don't want him to go back to the old Banri (at least the old him portrayed earlier; a little new Banri crept incongruously into his personality in the flashbacks in this episode).
I think that was the whole point of the flashback, to show that this new Banri do not appear out of nowhere the minute the amnesia striked in, but instead was always a part of Banri's character, even if the whiny side show up more often.
One could certainly make a point that thats one of the central themes of the series, and opens the door to a lot of questions: is character something you're born with o is it affected by experiences? Can you go change into another person completely different in every way to who you are should yo be given a blank slate? or do ciertain things are caried with you?.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 20:18   Link #1309
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The latest episode was excellent... with the possible exception of "ghost Banri" taking over his current physical self.

This takes ghost Banri beyond the role of purely symbolic observer and makes him more of an actual character in his own right. I have very iffy feelings about that...

Still, excellent dialogue, and great scenarios. The scenario faced by Linda and her brother was wonderfully written. It was portrayed with impressive realism, and it's definitely one of the more difficult moral dilemmas a person can run into in real life. Linda's range of emotions, and changing opinions, over the whole thing, makes perfect sense. She probably ended up making the wrong decision, but I can see why she briefly thought it was better to handle things discreetly in an "adult" way.

I don't have a favored ship in this show, but Linda is probably my favorite character. She just feels very true to life to me, while also being a nicely complex character.
Old 2013-12-03, 22:43   Link #1310
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
I think that was the whole point of the flashback, to show that this new Banri do not appear out of nowhere the minute the amnesia striked in, but instead was always a part of Banri's character, even if the whiny side show up more often.
One could certainly make a point that thats one of the central themes of the series, and opens the door to a lot of questions: is character something you're born with o is it affected by experiences? Can you go change into another person completely different in every way to who you are should yo be given a blank slate? or do ciertain things are caried with you?.
Do we even really know his whiney side showed up more often? Granted, that t-shirt moment was pretty whiney, but isn't that all we have for whininess? I assume his personality is more or less the same, just more mature now as opposed to then.

I mainly oppose old Banri for trying to revert things back to Linda, which would break Koko's heart. She's already too sensitive to have that happen to her. That, and, Linda seems to be fine with how things are now, so switching his affections to her really doesn't help anyone but himself.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 23:00   Link #1311
Preciize
Them Feels~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
Well, yeah. Letting go of the past is a good thing, especially those who had a bad memories about those days back then. But, should you completely forget everything about your past while pursuing for a little bit of bliss? Would you find those bad past helpful for you to face your 'ghosts & demons of the past' in order to grow up until you eventually get your problems done and over with?
I think the whole point of this series is to explore these questions. I think Banri will eventually find peace with himself about the past and be able to move forward. In fact, I thought the new Banri was handling the situation fairly well with his optimistic personality. I wonder how this new situation with the old Banri coming back will turn out. I personally don't like it at all but I guess we'll see :\
Old 2013-12-03, 23:18   Link #1312
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
We'll see where they go with this, but I question that they'd opt for split personality over the memories simply coming back to him. What would Banri do if he remembered everything? Seems like this is a more convenient plot excuse to ignore that question for the time being.
Yeah, I was going to respond to this, but I was going to say essentially the following:

Quote:
I think the whole point of this series is to explore these questions. I think Banri will eventually find peace with himself about the past and be able to move forward.
I think this current state is manifestation of that false dichotomy from earlier on where Banri put this wall between his new self and his old self, and thought that if he went back to the past his current self would die. So now we see that manifesting itself (like he cut his past off to the extent that it is like a split personality), but I think the ultimate goal is to disprove the dichotomy and for the two sides to merge. And, as was also said, I think a key point is that they've been trying to show that, other than memories/experiences, the two Banris aren't really all that different.

So yeah, I guess maybe you could say it's an excuse to ignore that question for now, but I'd rather think that it's just another way of arriving at the same destination. (Having him just start remembering things is also convenient in its own way, whereas this allows a lot of "inconvenient" developments -- which is also, of course, convenient. Either way, amnesia is itself a rather convenient plot tool, but it's how it plays out that makes it interesting.)
Old 2013-12-04, 10:53   Link #1313
Nerroth
NePoi!

So now "the man who regrets and the man who forgets" are set to make things interesting.

There's never a good Doctor around when you need one.

In the long run, even if both regenerationsmanifestations of Banri were to reconcile, that might still make him different, in the end, to either of them as they are now.

And if that is to happen, the question would then be: would either Linda or Kouko be willing to re-evaluate their respective views on him, and accept him for who he is... or rather, who he will be?

It could be that the answer is neither, in which case all three of them will have to look elsewhere in the long run.
Old 2013-12-04, 15:06   Link #1314
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Do we even really know his whiney side showed up more often? Granted, that t-shirt moment was pretty whiney, but isn't that all we have for whininess? I assume his personality is more or less the same, just more mature now as opposed to then.

I mainly oppose old Banri for trying to revert things back to Linda, which would break Koko's heart. She's already too sensitive to have that happen to her. That, and, Linda seems to be fine with how things are now, so switching his affections to her really doesn't help anyone but himself.
He hasn't tried anything yet, though. He hasn't had the power to. All he could do was "wish", and even then, it's unclear what he wished. He didn't say he wanted new Banri to get together with Linda. He just wished he knew what she used to mean to him. Which is understandable. It can't be fun watching him throw away something so precious and not even know it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 15:51   Link #1315
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He hasn't tried anything yet, though. He hasn't had the power to. All he could do was "wish", and even then, it's unclear what he wished. He didn't say he wanted new Banri to get together with Linda. He just wished he knew what she used to mean to him. Which is understandable. It can't be fun watching him throw away something so precious and not even know it.
I have an issue with him after awakening in the body going "LINDA!" right away. Like he's about to jump up and run to her to do something. I mean, he's been watching new Banri in his environment for ages, so he should know how what the situation is and how much is at stake. That he still behaves like this gives me a very uneasy feeling for what would possibly happen if he managed to regain the body long-term.
Old 2013-12-04, 17:23   Link #1316
Arya

Quote:
Very interesting observation. Instead of running to Linda he could really leave a letter to himself explaining how things were before he lost his memories. In this way he wouldn't mess new Banri's life directly (just indirectly), giving him a wider view of his inner self situation before the accident. Leaving untouched his free will.
Yet I don't think the show will follow this Total-Recall-like way (nor that he will run to Linda btw), if not as a minor final twist, exposed in a dense inner-dialog that could sound like:

Darth Banri: Banri, you do not yet realize my importance. You have only begun to discover yourself. Join me, and I will complete you. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to our galaxy.
Banri: No, I'll never join you!
Darth Banri: "I'm your true self, search your feelings, you know it to be true!"
Banri :"But I already knew it, you wrote me a letter. Moron!"

This to enforce Banri's eventual decision, giving us the insight that he took it (decision) knowing everything he needed to know.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 17:31   Link #1317
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
I have an issue with him after awakening in the body going "LINDA!" right away. Like he's about to jump up and run to her to do something. I mean, he's been watching new Banri in his environment for ages, so he should know how what the situation is and how much is at stake. That he still behaves like this gives me a very uneasy feeling for what would possibly happen if he managed to regain the body long-term.
People are demanding a lot of selflessness from Old Banri, I feel. Not that I want New Banri or Koko to get hurt. (I said it earlier. I'm bracing myself to hate Old Banri for what he may do to Koko... I'm just saying he hasn't really done anything yet.)

Another point: New Banri feels absolutely no obligation to Old Banri and was content and eager to leave him buried. Old Banri may care just as little about New Banri's feelings and relationships...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 17:43   Link #1318
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
People are demanding a lot of selflessness from Old Banri, I feel. Not that I want New Banri or Koko to get hurt. (I said it earlier. I'm bracing myself to hate Old Banri for what he may do to Koko... I'm just saying he hasn't really done anything yet.)

Another point: New Banri feels absolutely no obligation to Old Banri and was content and eager to leave him buried. Old Banri may care just as little about New Banri's feelings and relationships...
I don't think you are interpreting my post correctly. I did not state or imply that he needs to be selfless. My point is, if he behaves like I fear he will, he'll hurt everybody in the process, including Linda. So therefore he isn't really in a position to not care about new Banri's relationships, because Linda is part of them.

Furthermore, I don't think your point towards new Banri is totally fair. Unlike new Banri the ghost Banri has been watching him the entire time, which is what, over a year? So he knows about the situation. On the other hand new Banri only felt the pressure from the fact that he used to be different before the accident. To use his own words, he felt being watched, being in a prison. And don't forget, Linda herself encouraged him to break out of it, leaving his past self buried.
Old 2013-12-04, 20:35   Link #1319
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i'm on ep 6 right now. is this supposed to be enjoyable? i haven't found a main female character this annoying in a long long time. unless things drastically change, i think its almost impossible for anyone to ship Koko over Linda.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 21:13   Link #1320
l.kostas

Episode 10 preview screenshots:
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/765/765495/

BD/DVD 2 cover art:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by l.kostas; 2013-12-05 at 06:37.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, comedy, drama, love triangle, romance, seinen