AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-06, 19:52   Link #1301
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

The anime never mentioned about Maou's long life-span so far isn't it? If that's the case, is it really okay for us who read the manga and novel to just casually mention it here to the anime-only watchers?

Please correct me if I'm wrong .
Old 2013-02-06, 20:05   Link #1302
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
No it hasn't been mentioned (yet), so it's going to be considered a spoiler. Edit your posts, boys!

Reckoner: The term used in the novel I think is Mazoku (hahaha, brings back Slayers memories doesn't it?), which IS a blanket-term for all non-human magical races. So a werewolf or a faerie will still be called a demon by a human, because the average human in this world doesn't see the difference.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2013-02-06 at 20:22.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 20:08   Link #1303
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

it should have been establish in ep4. this is really a poor choice by the director to exclude this piece of info.
Old 2013-02-06, 20:55   Link #1304
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Given that the Mage Girl (Onna Mahou Tsukai) is more correctly traslated as Woman Witch the fate of most human magic users might not be too good or very long.
The literal translation of onna mahou tsukai (女魔法使い) is "female magic user." There is a specific word for witch in Japanese, majo (魔女), which the show does not use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Reckoner: The term used in the novel I think is Mazoku (hahaha, brings back Slayers memories doesn't it?), which IS a blanket-term for all non-human magical races. So a werewolf or a faerie will still be called a demon by a human, because the average human in this world doesn't see the difference.
For comparison, the Japanese word for those evil spirits from the Christian Hell associated with Satan, is akuma (悪魔). Of course, English use of the word demon is wider than that narrow meaning, though modern uses pretty much always have an evil connotation.
Old 2013-02-06, 20:57   Link #1305
zRichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it should have been establish in ep4. this is really a poor choice by the director to exclude this piece of info.
That Demon Queen is not human?
Old 2013-02-06, 21:01   Link #1306
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
Oh, so being a non-human immediately grants you longer life-span?
Old 2013-02-06, 21:08   Link #1307
zRichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's a possibility to have in mind. It's fantasy setting, what's so strange about long lived demons?
Old 2013-02-06, 21:09   Link #1308
XFire
150% done

Quote:
No, she just looks like it. Head Maid and
Spoiler for spoiler:
are from the same clan.

Edit: I worded that wrong. I meant its easy for viewers of the anime (and readers of the manga, to be honest) to think of her as "human" despite being called Maou until they hit you over the head with her age.

Quote:
Yes. Remember in the beginning how she told Hero she had been waiting a long time? She meant over 150 years since she decided she wanted to meet Hero. Various adaptions show her watching him growing up through a crystal ball, talking about how she wants to meet him.
Old 2013-02-06, 21:10   Link #1309
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
In all fairness, there's not much "demon" about her. Even the horns were removable...
And I have to agree with Obelisk, just because she's a supernatural entity it doesn't mean that her lifespan is longer. Usually demons live longer, but they usually don't behave like a teenage girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Yes. Remember in the beginning how she told Hero she had been waiting a long time? She meant over 150 years since she decided she wanted to meet Hero. Various adaptions show her watching him growing up through a crystal ball, talking about how she wants to meet him.
I remember this scene in the anime.. except it stopped at "I've been waiting for a long time.". Which in turn says wonders about the adaptation since it keeps forgetting to mention these tidbits of information and manga readers end up spoiling it without noticing.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:17   Link #1310
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
It's a possibility to have in mind. It's fantasy setting, what's so strange about long lived demons?
Possibility isn't a confirmation. That's what I was talking about: how the anime didn't mention it explicitly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Look my friend, I read the manga too. But for anime-only watchers, they won't know until it's mentioned. And "a long time" is pretty vague in itself.

@Dark Faith
Thanx for stressing my point.
Old 2013-02-06, 21:35   Link #1311
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Did you mean that by the time the novel/manga gets to where the anime is at ep.4, this piece of information should've already been conveyed? If so, then yes, if I remember right that shouldn't strictly be spoiling according to the forum's rules. BUT, it should be put behind the spoiler tag and labeled properly, because it's a comparison between a source material and and the anime. Pure spoilers aren't allowed to exist in the first place.
Old 2013-02-06, 22:32   Link #1312
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Did you mean that by the time the novel/manga gets to where the anime is at ep.4, this piece of information should've already been conveyed? If so, then yes, if I remember right that shouldn't strictly be spoiling according to the forum's rules. BUT, it should be put behind the spoiler tag and labeled properly, because it's a comparison between a source material and and the anime. Pure spoilers aren't allowed to exist in the first place.
oh absolutely, it was when the HM was asking why the Hero didn't go see DQ even through he was back.

Spoiler:

a huge difference form the anime as the anime was making the Hero out to be another or the wishy-washy male lead.

As one of the previous poster said, the director is trying too hard to make MMY into S&W S3. This is unfair to fans of both series.
Old 2013-02-06, 23:11   Link #1313
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
1 thing I like to point out about those 200 ships getting sunk.
ITS EFFIN GIANT SQUIDS, EVEN IF YOU HAD 200000000 boats, it wont do sht against em. No way you can have naval advantage unless you had torpedoes, which do not exist in this series btw. So yea wasted lives

Noticed another thing
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Macroeconomics
Spice and Wolf - Microeconomics

Never been a better time to be a Business Major

Last edited by Polarpew; 2013-02-06 at 23:32.
Polarpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 23:26   Link #1314
fukarming

Quote:
I watched Gasaraki more than 10 years ago and I remember that it had its fair share of action you could expect from a mecha. Chihayafuru is about a game, it's fun by pure nature. Could you say the same about Utakoi?

It sounds to me that you are simply less interested in macro economics than the other two themes. The show being boring to you because it's about boring stuff. But if that's not the case, and you are into economics and social development, what would be a better way to execute the exposition?
Everyone in my anime club found gasaraki boring. Karuta is a game that I don't understand a single bit. I haven't watched Utakoi but if that is a well made show it should be interesting despite whatever material it is.

There is a whole trope called "mundane made awesome". If they can make writing and walking look awesome, it is inexcusable that they make economics and social development looks so boring. Heck my econ 101 (macroeconomics) class is more fun than MaoYuu. At least my class have charts

It is about the atmosphere, as I simply don't feel any urgency in MaoYuu. Like I said, the negotiation scene can be made plenty of fun, thru the use of music, camera angle to build tension but I got nothing in that scene.

Lots of you keep on saying "it can't be help as they only have 12-13 episode". It is not an excuse as they could simply end the anime in an earlier plot point. I didn't watch the source material so I can't say much, but it seems to me that the imminent battle looks to be important. Maybe they could use 12-13 episode and end it there?
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 23:55   Link #1315
kagato3

Quote:
The anime never mentioned about Maou's long life-span so far isn't it? If that's the case, is it really okay for us who read the manga and novel to just casually mention it here to the anime-only watchers?

Please correct me if I'm wrong .
They did state in the anime that the reason he isn't getting close to Maou is that he knows he will die before her in the anime at least implying she is natrualy longer lived as realisticly he has next to no chance of dieing in battle (the manga makes it less vague by stateing she will out live him because he is human) even the novel and manga don't get into the details at this point.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 23:58   Link #1316
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
It is about the atmosphere, as I simply don't feel any urgency in MaoYuu. Like I said, the negotiation scene can be made plenty of fun, thru the use of music, camera angle to build tension but I got nothing in that scene.
We don't need ZAWA ZAWA or Jojo levels of emotional exaggeration for Maoyuu, thank you very much.
I think the production team is going for a down-to-earth storytelling here.

Quote:
Lots of you keep on saying "it can't be help as they only have 12-13 episode". It is not an excuse as they could simply end the anime in an earlier plot point. I didn't watch the source material so I can't say much, but it seems to me that the imminent battle looks to be important. Maybe they could use 12-13 episode and end it there?
My guess is that the story will be so open-minded at that point that closing the series there would be ARMS shooting itself in the foot with a nuclear missile.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 00:15   Link #1317
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
We don't need ZAWA ZAWA or Jojo levels of emotional exaggeration for Maoyuu, thank you very much.

My guess is that the story will be so open-minded at that point that closing the series there would be ARMS shooting itself in the foot with a nuclear missile.
There is a pretty big gap between Jojo level and the current MaoYuu. I doubt I am the only person who found MaoYuu boring and forgettable.

I can't say much since I don't know about the source material. But I am in the camp believe that original material/ending is better than rushing but faithful. I will probably revisit this topic after the whole series is over.....given I stay until end........
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 00:17   Link #1318
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

The more I think about it the more sense it makes that for this kind of adaption they should have gone with the gender-swap (and giving the male lead to Shimono Hiro),posibly exluding the two little maids.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 00:20   Link #1319
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
They did state in the anime that the reason he isn't getting close to Maou is that he knows he will die before her in the anime at least implying she is natrualy longer lived as realisticly he has next to no chance of dieing in battle (the manga makes it less vague by stateing she will out live him because he is human) even the novel and manga don't get into the details at this point.
Two members said “no”, then you come and said “yes”. Aarghh! Which one is right? I guess I have to rewatch the episode again later to refresh my mind.

EDIT: Re-watched the episode. And yes it's implied but I think it's still a weak reference to her long life-span. Why didn't the anime producer made Hero say it clearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Read fukarming’s post carefully. “the use of music, camera angle to build tension” not necessarily have to equal JoJo’s exaggeration style. Some dialogue scenes can be both calm and engaging. It all depends on good execution. Have you seen dialogues in Tarrantino movies like Inglourious Basterds or in Wachowski’s The Matrix or maybe dialogues in Death Note and Code Geass? (just to give you obvious examples).

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-02-07 at 00:53.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 00:21   Link #1320
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
The more I think about it the more sense it makes that for this kind of adaption they should have gone with the gender-swap (and giving the male lead to Shimono Hiro),posibly exluding the two little maids.
I love those 2 girls.

I don't find the series boring at all. I'm an anime-only viewer.

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem