AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-07, 21:11   Link #1341
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phocus View Post
Care to share the link?
i think i saw a couple vids on youtube. most of the pics were ones we've seen on the Lantis spoiler video and trailers.
Old 2010-03-07, 21:17   Link #1342
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
wait the actual Haruhi 2009 DVDs had english subtitles? O_o

Image from our very own TMSIDR's blog review of the BLR DVD seen here.

(TMSIDR, I apologize for using an image without asking. My screen capture software doesn't like to keep the subtitles. Please forgive me!)

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-03-08, 00:23   Link #1343
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

oh wow that means I better start downloading the RAWs (I hope they kept the subs in it!)
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-03-08, 02:40   Link #1344
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Ouch... so we could be looking at anywhere up to a year from now?
It is very frustrating. But why do dvds take so long to come out?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-03-08, 08:40   Link #1345
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It is very frustrating. But why do dvds take so long to come out?
The movie producers want people to see the movie in the theatres, thus they wait a few months when there is little to no chance it is still showing and then a release for home watchers is put out. There is also the ability to make adjustments to fix or alter scenes (like during the pan-and-scan days where widescreen movies were not out much) during this time, so a release date is also contingent on that.

For some news, the Haruhi movie did not get into any of the top ten rankings for the weekend thus far. No word is out on the box office proceeds yet.

Old 2010-03-08, 10:22   Link #1346
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Urgent Screening Decision!

Five of the Kadokawa Cineplex theatres have decided that starting next Saturday (3/13), they will be showing the Haruhi movie. If no theatre decides to drop the movie by then, we shall have increased the amount to 29 screenings. The new theatres are the Kadokawa Cineplexes in: Mito, Okazaki, Hirakata, Ogura, and Kumamoto. There may be more as the week progresses, but these five are guaranteed to be part of the second run now.
This may be a stupid question, but why is there an urgent screening decision? It can't be because of lack of sales because the figures are pretty darn good...

Quote:
I do regret to inform everyone that if you look at your calendars, December 17th falls on a Friday, which would be the same day of the week that they've released every Haruhi DVD so far. Not saying it's set in stone, but since the movie will be still out in May and likely June, it would be close to 6 months to that date. This is purely speculation on my part and is no way locked into what is going to happen so do not get depressed by my doing.
I sent an email to a local film distributor to try and convince them to bring in 'Disappearance' because it's the only distributor that supports anime films locally. Despite my best efforts in highlighting how much profit it would bring them, I got a negative answer. Probably because of the Saga that goes on in my country, not sure if the rest of the world knows about it.

So I guess Haruhi fans have to wait for the release of the DVD then. December 17th does sound like an apt time for its release (even though it's still a long way to go) given the context.
Old 2010-03-08, 10:28   Link #1347
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
This may be a stupid question, but why is there an urgent screening decision? It can't be because of lack of sales because the figures are pretty darn good...
That was the literal translation as reported by the theatre website and the official Haruhi fansite. It was made during the middle of last week and since they are starting this upcoming weekend, I'd say that it is very urgent. They made a quick decision to start the second run sooner than imagined due to the success of the film.

Quote:
I sent an email to a local film distributor to try and convince them to bring in 'Disappearance' because it's the only distributor that supports anime films locally. Despite my best efforts in highlighting how much profit it would bring them, I got a negative answer. Probably because of the Saga that goes on in my country, not sure if the rest of the world knows about it.

So I guess Haruhi fans have to wait for the release of the DVD then. December 17th does sound like an apt time for its release (even though it's still a long way to go) given the context.
I'm not too surprised that it wouldn't be shown in Singapore. Kadokawa keeps their titles on a tight leash (Evangeleon, how did you do in theatres in the US?) and it'd be rather difficult for a small distributor to obtain the rights to show it due to all the obligations that your distributor would have to make in order to show it. It's horrible for you, the fan, but for the studios it's simply a way to guarantee it won't hurt them financially.

Old 2010-03-08, 10:45   Link #1348
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
That was the literal translation as reported by the theatre website and the official Haruhi fansite. It was made during the middle of last week and since they are starting this upcoming weekend, I'd say that it is very urgent. They made a quick decision to start the second run sooner than imagined due to the success of the film.
Hmmm... Interesting. I thought they'll let the movie stay out for a longer while, to get all the money they can get from movie-goers in that area before starting the second run. Strike while the iron is hot, then.

Quote:
I'm not too surprised that it wouldn't be shown in Singapore. Kadokawa keeps their titles on a tight leash (Evangeleon, how did you do in theatres in the US?) and it'd be rather difficult for a small distributor to obtain the rights to show it due to all the obligations that your distributor would have to make in order to show it. It's horrible for you, the fan, but for the studios it's simply a way to guarantee it won't hurt them financially.
There's also a huge obstacle in Singapore. I discussed with several fans locally too. The holder of the rights to Haruhi (I can't even mention their name for fear of lawsuits. Yes I'm absolutely serious) will apparently block all attempts to bring in the film because they want to profit from the DVD sales. I can't even begin to say how irritating that is , but yeah, like you said, horrible for fans, awesome for the studios.
Old 2010-03-08, 11:50   Link #1349
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Hmmm... Interesting. I thought they'll let the movie stay out for a longer while, to get all the money they can get from movie-goers in that area before starting the second run. Strike while the iron is hot, then.

There's also a huge obstacle in Singapore. I discussed with several fans locally too. The holder of the rights to Haruhi (I can't even mention their name for fear of lawsuits. Yes I'm absolutely serious) will apparently block all attempts to bring in the film because they want to profit from the DVD sales. I can't even begin to say how irritating that is , but yeah, like you said, horrible for fans, awesome for the studios.
That is, if you can find the DVD. As I have said to you, and for the benefit of others who might be interested to know what's it like to be an anime fan in an Asian country, I have not seen a single Haruhi DVD in the whole country, despite them having the rights. I probably stand a far better chance of finding a giant Higgs Boson particle in my room.

To the company that shall not be named for fear of them sending their own Asakura to murder me, you don't sell it, people who might be insane enough to buy it from you can't find it because it's not for sale, and you wonder why people download anime. Then you sue them and people hate you, and you wonder even more. Pffff.
Old 2010-03-08, 16:13   Link #1350
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
The movie producers want people to see the movie in the theatres, thus they wait a few months when there is little to no chance it is still showing and then a release for home watchers is put out. There is also the ability to make adjustments to fix or alter scenes (like during the pan-and-scan days where widescreen movies were not out much) during this time, so a release date is also contingent on that.
Thank you for the information. I guess I am used to over here where DVDs are usually released not long after the movie. But damn, they are definitely yanking the home watchers pretty hard. I guess there might be more extras and stuff.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-03-08, 16:20   Link #1351
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

ODEX = FAIL, amirite?
Old 2010-03-08, 19:40   Link #1352
cbfox99
Scrumy!

Just FYI.
The official guide is pretty cheap at yesasia.com.
I just bought it for $20.99+$4.99 shipping=$25.98.
It says it'll take 21 days to ship but the longest they
ever took to send me a package was 2 weeks and I've
bought from this site for years.
Sure beats Amazon Japan!
Check it out
http://www.yesasia.com/us/search/%E5...1-en/list.html
Old 2010-03-08, 21:00   Link #1353
netvope
SOS-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfox99 View Post
Just FYI.
The official guide is pretty cheap at yesasia.com.
I just bought it for $20.99+$4.99 shipping=$25.98.
It says it'll take 21 days to ship but the longest they
ever took to send me a package was 2 weeks and I've
bought from this site for years.
Sure beats Amazon Japan!
Check it out
And I've bought Yasashii Boukyaku (優しい忘却) from Yesasia

Though shipping is a little bit slow, their customer service is very good. A year ago I requested a guide book that they were not selling, and they added the item within a few days!
Old 2010-03-09, 10:15   Link #1354
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

The Haruhi webpage updated today with 20 more confirmed theatre locations, but no dates besides the ones that are showing it now and starting this Saturday. Here are the original 24:

1. United Cinemas Sapparo
2. Forum Sendai
3. Cinema Sunshine Ikebukuro
4. Wald9
5. United Cinemas Toyosu
6. Cinema Two
7. Warner MyCal Cinemas Minato Mirai
8. Kawasaki Cinecitta
9. TOHO Cinemas Ebina
10. Kadokawa Cineplex Hiratsuka
11. Keisei Rosa
12. TOHO Cinemas Ichikawa Colt Plaza 13. MOVIX Saitama
14. Kadokawa Cineplex Wakaba
15. Kadokawa Cineplex Tsukuba
16. MOVIX Utsunomiya
17. MOVIX Isesaki
18. Century Theatre Eigaya
19. 109 Cinemas Nogoya
20. Umeda Burg 7
21. Namba Parks Cinema
22. Kobe International Shochiku-Eigaka
23. Kyoto Cinema
24. United Cinemas Canal City

Starting the second run on this Saturday, March 13th, are the following five theatres:
1. Cineplex Mito
2. Cineplex Okazaki
3. Cineplex Hirakata
4. Cineplex Ogura
5. Cineplex Kumamoto

Those are all the confirmed dates that are out currently. Any other date that I or anyone have mentioned is unconfirmed and is by word-of-mouth or poster. However, it is confirmed that the movie will be shown at the following 20 theatres, but no starting date has been announced.
1. Cinema dict
2. Forum Hachinohe
3. Forum Morioka
4. Lumiere Akita
5. Forum Yamagata
6. Forum Fukushima
7. United Cinema Niigata
8. Nagano Aioiza
9. United Cinema Kanazawa
10. Fukui Cinema
11. Toyama Daitokai
12. Warner Bros. Cinema Kakamigahara
13. Warner Bros. Cinema Suzuka
14. Warner Bros. Cinema Kusatsu
15. Hiroshima Salon Cinema
16. Merpa
17. Warner Bros. Cinema Hofu
18. Warner Bros. Cinema Ayagawa
19. Miyazaki Cinema
20. Sakura Zaka

That is all on the official fansite listing here. 2ch also has the following theatres that are not mentioned above:
1. Fukuyama Picadilly Theatre (confirmed on manager's blog here)
2. Cinema Sunshine Kinuyama (spoken on radio broadcast)
3. Mitte 10 (discussed, but not confirmed on cinema's blog here)

That totals to 52 theatres that have, will, or may show the Haruhi movie in Japan, with the second run exceeding the amount of theatres in the first run. (28 to 24)

Old 2010-03-09, 15:38   Link #1355
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

Quote:
Image from our very own TMSIDR's blog review of the BLR DVD seen here.

(TMSIDR, I apologize for using an image without asking. My screen capture software doesn't like to keep the subtitles. Please forgive me!)
no problem^^.

The subtitles were not the best, but better than the ones that came with the official German DVDs of the 2006 season .

They didn't add subtitles to the Haruhi-chan DVDs but the episodes on YouTube had them. That was a strange decision...

I hope that they will also add subtitles to the Disappearance DVD/Blu-ray and wanted to ask them somehow if there's hope that they will add them. I think they have to get some feedback that there's an actual demand for subtitled Japanese stuff.
Old 2010-03-09, 20:32   Link #1356
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Box Office data is out thanks to Box Office Mojo!

The Haruhi movie raised $335,365 (30,243,216 yen) this past weekend to place 13th on the list. This was down 49.2% from the past weekend. The total sum so far for the movie is $6,074,952 (547,839,171 yen) in 5 weeks.

Old 2010-03-10, 02:51   Link #1357
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Box Office data is out thanks to Box Office Mojo!

The Haruhi movie raised $335,365 (30,243,216 yen) this past weekend to place 13th on the list. This was down 49.2% from the past weekend. The total sum so far for the movie is $6,074,952 (547,839,171 yen) in 5 weeks.
I think you can learn all you need to know about the differences between Japanese and American culture when you realize that the first two movies to dethrone Avatar from the top spot in Japan (all the way down to #3) are a movie adaptation of a drama adaptation of a manga and the 30th (WTF?) Doraemon movie. LOL...

Wonder if there will be a slight boost to the second running of Haruhi. I know there are more theaters showing it, but unless they're in different areas of the country, it shouldn't really pick up any, over the previous weeks. I'm sure they have more incentives, though.
Old 2010-03-10, 07:17   Link #1358
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Avatar wasn't that good anyway, so it's no big feat. I like to think that the Japanese care more about plot rather than pretty graphics, so it's no surprise a cheap Pocahontas/Dances with Wolves ripoff is dethroned by a doraemon movie.
Old 2010-03-10, 14:13   Link #1359
Dr. Casey

In my opinion this looks like a good movie
Old 2010-03-10, 15:32   Link #1360
cbfox99
Scrumy!

I'm a little late at introducing myself.
Long time reader, second time poster, Hi all!

I have found some disturbing news.
Trigun the movie is premiering at SakuraCon (in Seattle) 3 weeks before it's release date in Japan!
WHY? NAZE?
I love Trigun and all but I've been waiting for that movie so long, I've lost interest.

Why can't they show The Disappearance?
Honestly though, I doubt SakuraCon would have enough seats if they did show it.
I could imagine fans coming from across the nation to see all the Yuki moe.
Heck I'm one of them!

I'm writing to the top 5 anime conventions and SakuraCon and asking if/why they can/cannot play The Disappearance. Haruhi's fan base is enough, I would think, to fill their entire theaters TWICE!

Oh, here's the link if anyone wants to read it.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...re-trigun-film

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2010-03-10 at 17:26. Reason: Please just edit instead of double-posting
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen