AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-18, 09:24   Link #1361
night_sentinel

I think Saki looks better with long skirt but that's just me being a heretic. She looks less moe true but she feels more final-boss like with long skirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2
In unfortunate that the rules stated "no double Yakuman in this tournament" so we won't see those high point hands.
Too bad for us...
But wait, there's no rules against stacking yakuman with one another, right? It just said "no double yakuman" but it doesn't say you can't have more than 1 yakuman in your hand.

For example:
suu ankou tankii probably counts as one yakuman due to the "no double yakuman rule" but it can be probably combined with some yakuman like for ex. "all green yakuman" or "suu kantsu".

So it is possible if you made a hand filled with 4 closed kans of bamboo without a single red in them like the 2, 3, 4, 8, 6 then you can get all 3 yakumans. If you're the dealer this hand would be something like 48,000 x 3 = 144,000.

And I think there are more better combination possible...
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 09:26   Link #1362
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
very possible if she do fusion with saki and imbued with luck from senoh kaori
Y'know what that means?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
One more interesting question: What will happen if Teru win with lower score hand than previous win?
Same concept behind Kuro dropping a dora. The Teru effect goes away, and thus, the Teru train would end up going in reverse.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 09:44   Link #1363
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
She looks less moe true but she feels more final-boss like with long skirt.
But she's not the final boss. Ideally, she's the hero taking on the final boss. I think a short skirt, in addition to looking more moe, gives a nice 'plucky upstart' look to Saki. It also gives Saki a really nice visual contrast with her sister (one reflective of their very different personalities), which ironically is displayed beautifully in your own avatar.

But I also think the skirt-length change might become fitting if the story continues on beyond Hisa's graduation. A continuation where Saki is now one of the respected vets of Team Kiyosumi, and you get some new plucky upstart joining Team Kiyosumi to give the team the needed 5th girl.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:09   Link #1364
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Y'know what that means?

Spoiler:

Same concept behind Kuro dropping a dora. The Teru effect goes away, and thus, the Teru train would end up going in reverse.
But then heres the question: What if she gets the same points again? Actually, the Teru train will go haywire... But still can run.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:52   Link #1365
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A continuation where Saki is now one of the respected vets of Team Kiyosumi, and you get some new plucky upstart joining Team Kiyosumi to give the team the needed 5th girl.
That might take a while, given Ritz's release schedule (both Achiga and mainline Saki are monthly releases ). Some people think that Nodoka and Yuuki's two underclassmen will follow them to Kiyosumi though.

Then again, it might be someone new.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:02   Link #1366
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
But she's not the final boss. Ideally, she's the hero taking on the final boss. I think a short skirt, in addition to looking more moe, gives a nice 'plucky upstart' look to Saki. It also gives Saki a really nice visual contrast with her sister (one reflective of their very different personalities), which ironically is displayed beautifully in your own avatar.

But I also think the skirt-length change might become fitting if the story continues on beyond Hisa's graduation. A continuation where Saki is now one of the respected vets of Team Kiyosumi, and you get some new plucky upstart joining Team Kiyosumi to give the team the needed 5th girl.
I guess your right...
It would be nice if we have another year continuation after the national tournament though there seems to be something going behind the scenes if the "strange rules" of the tournament is anything to go by.

The 3 freshman would be sempais by then and assuming Kiyosumi would be successful in the tournament they will probably get a lot of members. I imagine Yuuki would be the "fun" type sempai, one you barely notice is your senior and will probably be more approachable to her kouhai the most. Nodoka would be the "strict" type who will probably discipline her kouhai, ensure they get good grades, etc. Saki would be the "caring" type of sempai who will indulge her kouhai's wishes the most out of the 3 considering her personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu
Same concept behind Kuro dropping a dora. The Teru effect goes away, and thus, the Teru train would end up going in reverse
Ideally this would be the best case scenario that would happen and one that the Achiga team would be hoping for. But, were not sure if this would be the case, the reason Achiga team speculated that Teru might lose her ability if she breaks her presumed taboo which is getting a lower point hand than her last win is because they are familiar with Kuro's ability and probably base their knowledge of mahjong hax on it. But, this is just that speculations and still unproven... there are still other possibilities to consider ...

I've listed what I think would be the best to worst possibility if this would happen:

1. The scenario that Kyuu suggested as I've said above would be the best scenario. If Teru ever wins a hand value lower than her previous win then her ability like Kuro would be unusable for a period of time.

2. The next best case would be is if Teru's combo counter would completely restart from the beginning. Like when Teru is interrupted on her winning streak if Kuro and co. manage to force Teru to win by a smaller hand than last time her next hand would go back to winning by few points and building of again

3. The third best case scenario is if Teru's combo counter would start from the hand value that she last gotten. For example Teru won last time by 24,000 points but this time she only won by 8,000 points. Then, the next time Teru would win a hand larger than 8,000 instead of going back completely to the beginning.

4. The second to the worst scenario is what Scarletknive suggested Teru winning with a lower hand value wouldn't do anything. Using the above example wherein Teru won 24,000 points last time and you somehow managed to force her to win by only 8,000 points. In this scenario, Teru's combo counter wouldn't even restart at all and she will still aim for a hand higher than 24,000.

5. The worst case scenario would be if Teru's playstyle is a handicap just like Saki's +/- zero. To give her opponent a fighting chance, Teru would start her winning streak from smaller to larger hand values. If for some reason you manage to make Teru get a lower point value in this scenario Teru would stop warming up and reveal that she can probably get any hand values consecutively.

Note: This is the worst case scenario and hopefully won't happen... the match is one-sided enough without Teru getting more hax.

Truthfully, I'm hoping for the option number 2 which is a good limitation of a hax ability without being overly limiting. But, I wouldn't be surprised if number 5 happens considering how hyped Teru is.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 11:04   Link #1367
kona~chan
ヘタレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
But then heres the question: What if she gets the same points again? Actually, the Teru train will go haywire... But still can run.
i guess the points will reset again from the lowest, but yeah it doesn't mean the train will stopped just like that she will continue running away till reach yakuman, what happened after that i don't know since there's no score bigger than yakuman.
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 12:38   Link #1368
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
I guess your right...
...there seems to be something going behind the scenes if the "strange rules" of the tournament is anything to go by.
Please, we all know the answer to that already. Junichiro Koizumi is looking for the possible future leaders of Japan. After all, who knows when the 4th Reich would return from deep space? Best be prepared, after all...
Old 2012-06-18, 12:40   Link #1369
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
The Achiga girls already fill in the plucky upstart role. Saki is more on the overpowered protagoinist side.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 12:46   Link #1370
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
The Achiga girls already fill in the plucky upstart role.
up·start (pstärt)
n.
A person of humble origin who attains sudden wealth, power, or importance, especially one made immodest or presumptuous by the change; a parvenu.
adj.
1. Suddenly raised to a position of consequence.

Given how the Achiga girls have been portrayed since the Nationals started, you really think they count as upstarts?

'Upstart' fits Kiyosumi much better, imo, and it especially fits Saki well since she played such a key role in Kiyosumi gaining that 'upstart' status.

As for 'plucky'...

adj. pluck·i·er, pluck·i·est
Having or showing courage and spirit in trying circumstances. See Synonyms at brave.

Yeah, I don't think this is applying to Kuro right now. It fits original season Saki perfectly, though.

Also, "overpowered protagonists" generally don't win by the skin of their teeth, as was the case for Kiyosumi (and Saki) in the original season.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-06-18 at 13:01.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 13:04   Link #1371
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Given how the Achiga girls have been portrayed since the Nationals started, you really think they count as upstarts?
They definitely do in the grand scheme of things. Their school hadn't appeared at the tournament in years, and none of the players were known to anyone (only their coach). They're the very definition of upstarts.

Kiyosumi may also count by the same definition, but some of the players (like Nadoka) already had some fame/renown. So they'd be a team to watch, but I probably wouldn't have called them an "upstart".
Old 2012-06-18, 13:13   Link #1372
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Kiyosumi may also count by the same definition, but some of the players (like Nadoka) already had some fame/renown. So they'd be a team to watch, but I probably wouldn't have called them an "upstart".
Kiyosumi is at the same boat as Achiga, because Kiyosumi also hasn't particpated in any tournaments in the last few years because they never had enough people. The only "known" player that they have is Nodoka, because people don't know that Saki is related to Teru. Teru even denies she has a little sister, so of course they don't know.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 13:17   Link #1373
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Kiyosumi is at the same boat as Achiga, because Kiyosumi also hasn't particpated in any tournaments because they never had enough people.
Well-said, and that's why I strongly disagree with relentlessflame's assessment that Kiyosumi are not upstarts. They absolutely are upstarts. Heck, they were a mystery school going into their own regional tournament!

At least Achiga had a famous coach, one who had lead her team to the Nationals when she was a player at the same school only a few years ago. They weren't a complete unknown going into their own regional tournament. In fact, that made them a "team to watch", imo. I think it's a bit debatable whether or not Achiga counts as "upstarts".

Kiyosumi fits 'plucky upstarts' better than Achiga does, imo.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-06-18 at 13:31.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 13:19   Link #1374
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Well-said, and that's why I strongly disagree with relentlessflame's assessment that Kiyosumi are not upstarts. They absolutely are upstarts. Heck, they were a mystery school going into their own regional tournament!
...I didn't say they were not upstarts. I said "they may count but I wouldn't have called them that", because they had Nodoka. My key point was that Achiga should count as an upstart. In either case, they can both be plucky upstarts for all it matters.
Old 2012-06-18, 14:27   Link #1375
King-Slayer

Quote:
I think Saki looks better with long skirt but that's just me being a heretic. She looks less moe true but she feels more final-boss like with long skirt.
I agree. I think she looks way better with a long skirt just like Yuuki looks awesome in a cape
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 15:59   Link #1376
teja208
Critical fanboy

Also, Nodoka forgets to tie her twin tail this episode.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 16:03   Link #1377
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Also, Nodoka forgets to tie her twin tail this episode.
She had one side tied, I was wondering what's that about or if it's suppose to represent something?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 16:34   Link #1378
Kyuu
=^^=

By definition, Achiga and Kiyosumi are both upstarts, under different circumstances. Achiga lacks any kind of power player, where as Kiyosumi does. Because they're both upstarts, they're both the featured schools in each series.

Notice, both schools had to go through prefectural tournaments, which featured reputable and perennial schools.

===

EDIT: And no idea what's in this video. I'll look at it later. XD

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18080567

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-06-18 at 16:57.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 17:00   Link #1379
Triple_R
*Author

Tacos' cape is really cool. That's one change I definitely like.

Given the discussion that has sparked over Saki's skirt, I'd be curious to know who here thinks that Nodoka should also get a long skirt.
Old 2012-06-18, 17:10   Link #1380
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Actually I'm more surprised at anime-only people not commenting on Nodoka's single sidetail.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri