Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-06-06, 17:42   Link #121
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

If I'd have to rank them in order so far I'd say:
1) Carole & Tuesday
2) Angela
3) Cybelle (felt the least derivative but kinda lost its edge after the first bit)

I've actually genuinely liked the above songs. I don't think they're amazing songs that I'll go back to after a week or so but I did like them. The others are "meh" to me except for the expletive mermaids who were pretty damn hilarious, though I can't believe they made the audition in the first place with songs like that.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-06, 20:37   Link #122
HandofFate

even with the music, didn't feel Angela's song was that great.

everyone's reactions were so over emphasised to try to sell her as the big rival, but meh
Old 2019-06-07, 01:29   Link #123
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
everyone's reactions were so over emphasised to try to sell her as the big rival, but meh
Yeah, that's the problem with a show like this. The musical talent among the "serious" performers isn't varied enough to make it obvious who's supposed to be "best," so they have to oversell with audience reaction.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised they had Cybelle go against Angela since that takes her out of the story already. Unless she's going to come back as a crazed stalker, which let's not.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-07, 17:46   Link #124
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Meanwhile, I'm surprised they had Cybelle go against Angela since that takes her out of the story already. Unless she's going to come back as a crazed stalker, which let's not.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what'll happen.

Anyway, in case anybody needed it:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Just gets better and better the more I listen to it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-07, 18:23   Link #125
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yeah, they wouldn't focus so much on Cybelle just to let it end like that. She's going to do something crazy for sure.
Old 2019-06-08, 06:50   Link #126
videoman190

the only reason the Mermaid Sisters lost because Mars Brightest is a family show and having a song full of curse words is asking for trouble.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-08, 12:17   Link #127
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So are the Mermaid Sisters going to bump the rating on this show from TV-14 to TV-MA when it appears on Netflix?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-09, 08:08   Link #128
Dop
Mmmm....

Truly the Mermaid Sisters are the idols that anime needs. 1940s Andrews Sisters style close harmonies with explicit lyrics. What's not to like? I was laughing so much I had to pause the show while I got my breath back.

Pretty obvious that Cybelle is going to take the crazy stalker path.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-11, 20:58   Link #129
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
even with the music, didn't feel Angela's song was that great.

It's less that Angela is great and more that at last half of the competitors are gimmicks that were probably never going to be taken seriously in the first place, like the Fire Brothers and the Mermaid Sisters.

Remember how the judges remarked that Carole & Tuesday are the only competitors competing solely on their music?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-12, 01:28   Link #130
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
It's less that Angela is great and more that at last half of the competitors are gimmicks that were probably never going to be taken seriously in the first place, like the Fire Brothers and the Mermaid Sisters.

Remember how the judges remarked that Carole & Tuesday are the only competitors competing solely on their music?
I think the problem is that none of the contestants would stand out in a local talent show not to mention a planetary one. The Mermaid Sisters were probably the best singers but they were just there as a joke. Which makes you wonder what all the auditions were for if they did not weed them or the Latin singer out. Actually why did they even let the Latin singer on since they knew about him lying and seemed to think that was enough to disqualify him? Was it just to humiliate him publicly?

Honestly, I do not understand what the show is going for. At the start I thought Carole & Tuesday's music wasn't that good because they were trying to make it seem like the work of untrained teenagers. But pretty much all the music so far has ran from bad to completely forgettable regardless of whether it comes from AI's or humans. So are they just trying to say that music will suck in the future?
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 12:14   Link #131
HandofFate

GGK was the worst of them all imo.

Also, for Angela's song this week, anyone feel it was kind of a ripoff AI-boosted version of Carol and Tuesday's previous song?
Old 2019-06-13, 14:31   Link #132
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
So are they just trying to say that music will suck in the future?
Maybe.

What message, if any, is Watanabe sending when he pairs the largely no-talent crew on display in this anime with performances by some of the most incandescent talents known to popular music like Tina Turner? At least this week's entry, a song about the power of love, might have a better connection to the story compared to other weeks. Does Carole love Tuesday? Does Cybille love Tuesday? Does Tuesday have a clue why Cybille pursues her so intensively? Isn't it time for Carole to sit the cloistered Tuesday down and have a frank talk about girls and girls? (I know that might be difficult emotionally for Carole, but she needs to put the act first.)

Meanwhile,

YouTube

I was at Woodstock in 1969. In amongst all that spectacular talent, Ike and Tina brought down the house. They were always at "eleven." Too bad their life together wasn't as successful as their music.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2019-06-13 at 14:47.
Old 2019-06-13, 17:50   Link #133
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

So are they just trying to say that music will suck in the future?
That would certainly be meta but honestly, I think that’s giving Watanabe way too much credit. I think he’s just reflective of a time when everything in anime is blander and safer, and he didn’t give enough of a flip to buck the trend.

Honestly, could there be a better metaphor for the change in the medium since ‘12 than the soundtracks of Sakamichi no Apollon and C&T?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 18:03   Link #134
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought Angela's song was the worst of them. It sounded so generic. Even Pyotr's song had more originality.

Ertegun's reaction to Carole and Tuesday being there was pretty funny. As was theirs.

I told you Cybelle was going to do something crazy. We didn't get to see how damaged Tuesday's fingers were, but no doubt she'll power through and the judges will be moved by that. Or she could play the guitar with her teeth
Old 2019-06-13, 18:16   Link #135
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For future reference, here are the songs used as titles in Carole & Tuesday. I'll update it as the weeks go by.

#1: "True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper
Images

#2: "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Images

#3: "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor
Images

#4: "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles
Images

#5: "Every Breath You Take" by The Police
Images

#6: "Life is a Carnival" by The Band
Images

#7: "Show Me the Way" by Peter Frampton
Images

#8: "All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople
Images

#9: "Dancing Queen" by ABBA
Images

#10: "River Deep, Mountain High" by the Ike and Tina Turner Revue
Images

#11: "With or Without You" by U2

Images

#12: "We've Only Just Begun" by the Carpenters
Images

Songs from the second cour are here.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2020-01-03 at 15:37.
Old 2019-06-13, 19:18   Link #136
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
For future reference, here are the songs used as titles in Carole & Tuesday. I'll update it as the weeks go by.

#1: "True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper
Images

#2: "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Images

#3: "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor
Images

#4: "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles
Images

#5: "Every Breath You Take" by The Police
Images

#6: "Life is a Carnival" by The Band
Images

#7: "Show Me the Way" by Peter Frampton
Images

#8: "All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople
Images

#9: "Dancing Queen" by ABBA
Images

#10: "River Deep, Mountain High" by the Ike and Tina Turner Revue
Images

And this week's bonus entry, "Let Me Take You Higher" by Ike and Tina on Italian television. She tries to get the audience to join in near the end, but I suspect the "call-and-response" tradition of American gospel was not too common in Italy.

YouTube
Thanks for this! It's very convinient to have this in one place.

I've been meaning to watch this show for a while, but life got away from me and I forgot. I just remembered today, and I have to say, my only regret is that I didn't start watching soooner.

This is one delightful show, I don't think I've enjoyed an original's first episode quite this much since Flip Flappers.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 20:58   Link #137
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Honestly, I do not understand what the show is going for. At the start I thought Carole & Tuesday's music wasn't that good because they were trying to make it seem like the work of untrained teenagers. But pretty much all the music so far has ran from bad to completely forgettable regardless of whether it comes from AI's or humans. So are they just trying to say that music will suck in the future?
Honestly, I think pop music and the genres presented in this show just aren't your cup of tea.

I've seen a number of people fangirl over Pyotr's Dance Tonight.

Many of the competitors are very modern Western contemporary style, including Pyotr who represents the boyband idol style of pop music while Angela's songs are R&B with increasing levels of autotune. If you don't care about pop music, then it's very easy not to care about any of these songs.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 22:39   Link #138
HandofFate

I actually felt Pyotr or all people had the best songs so far in this competition.
Old 2019-06-14, 04:10   Link #139
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

You know, there is a high chance that the final accident is not Cybelle's fault. Judging by Angela's mother reaction after talking with Tao, "she' may be up to something.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-14, 10:06   Link #140
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
If you don't care about pop music, then it's very easy not to care about any of these songs.
I don't care much about popular music these days, but I can identify talent. So far I haven't seen very much of that in C&T.

Tags
music, sci-fi