Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-19, 06:21   Link #121
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
(and the fact it was made for fanboys.)
Actually, most lonely male otakus who read and watch this have their dreams of girls being sensitive and nice crushed to death.

Something of interest I would like to ask:

Are you disgusted at the low brow humor, or are you actually troubled by the way girls are shown to be what they are like real life? Much as you would like to believe, girls in anime do not portray a real view of how girls act in Japan. Just like any other country, girls are also interested in sex much as men are.

Many of these comes from real life experiences of the manga author who herself attended an all-girl's high school. Without no men close to them to impress, girls can be compressed into a state of lust and degraded morals amongst themselves.

I have a friend from high school who later on became a teacher at an all girl's high school. Occasionally my friends would meet for a drink to see how we are all doing. The first time we all learned he became a teacher at an all girl's high, we were all jealous at him "dang, you must be in heaven!" But then, he would start to drink really heavily and began saying "shit, you don't know jack. Once you are there, you lose the way you perceive girls." Vivid details of his students squating showing their panties full blown with no embarassment whatsoever, the reeking smell of used tampons from trash bins, etc. etc. Assumingly, male teachers are not the target for high school girls' love interest, so they act with the lowest morals that most people will not see in public.

That is exactly the point the author of the manga is trying to project. Sure male otakus might read this for fanservice. But at the same time, they are subjected to the cruel reality of what girls are really like (especially as most of them have little or no experience with girls whatsoever). It may be humor, yet at the same time it also crushes the dreams of lonely guys who think of girls as being nice and sensitive. Reality is: girls are girls; they piss and shit, they have interest in sex, they speak in profanity and vulgar languages, they can be selfish and demeaning, have morals and lack of as well due to their youth, much like any other human being. So this anime shows a girl taking a piss. How is that more different that showing a guy taking a piss? What, you refuse to believe girls don't piss? Sure it's toilet humor. If male centric toilet humor exist, who says female centric toilet humor cannot exist? They are human beings living their youth in modern day Japan as well.

On the other hand, girls who read this manga might feel a sense of rapport - "shit yeah, that's how we are in real life! fuck guys, us girls have our way of having fun and interest in sex as well."

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-04-19 at 14:53.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 11:17   Link #122
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
are you actually troubled by the way girls are shown to be what they are like real life?
I have to admit that this is actually my _favorite_ part of this series.
Old 2006-04-19, 13:19   Link #123
DaFool
Resident devil

I'm a bit saddened though that my favorite girl turned out to be the non-virgin. She seemed to have a bit more, uh, class to her (maybe that's why she's the one who got the boyfriend).

Ok, so this is (besides the panty shots) realistic for a public Tokyo all-girls high school. I doubt it's true for elite Catholic girls' high school (They have nuns who impose stricter expectations than even men.)
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 13:35   Link #124
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung
I'm using WinXP Pro (can't wait for Win Vista Ultimate), and the Core Media Player. Other than waiting for Lime to come out with a version 2 (please!) fixing the problem, are there any freeware programs out there that I can use to edit it, and boost the volume?
eh? I didn't have any problems with the episodes on VLC, Aqu-kun.

Lime did release a second version of it, and the volume seems fine for me.
Old 2006-04-19, 13:52   Link #125
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Ok, so this is (besides the panty shots) realistic for a public Tokyo all-girls high school. I doubt it's true for elite Catholic girls' high school (They have nuns who impose stricter expectations than even men.)
Yamasaki is a private secular school, although going by the manga some of the staff are pretty scary. The whole point is that it's this elite institution which wasn't easy for Eriko and friends to get in to, hence their horror at what they find...
Old 2006-04-19, 14:21   Link #126
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
I'm a bit saddened though that my favorite girl turned out to be the non-virgin. She seemed to have a bit more, uh, class to her (maybe that's why she's the one who got the boyfriend). Ok, so this is (besides the panty shots) realistic for a public Tokyo all-girls high school. I doubt it's true for elite Catholic girls' high school (They have nuns who impose stricter expectations than even men.)
1. See kj1980's post about this anime destroying our illusions. In any case, I think it's also saying that not being a virgin is okay, or possibly even a good thing, from the girls' point of view.

2. In North America, the myth (true or false I don't know) is that girls from Catholic schools are especially wild, perhaps because they are under excessively tight control at school and have more impulse to rebel when they can.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 14:50   Link #127
stevency
To kill or be killed?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
1. See kj1980's post about this anime destroying our illusions. In any case, I think it's also saying that not being a virgin is okay, or possibly even a good thing, from the girls' point of view.

2. In North America, the myth (true or false I don't know) is that girls from Catholic schools are especially wild, perhaps because they are under excessively tight control at school and have more impulse to rebel when they can.
1. Well, judging from my all girls family members, my illusions to girls had long gone for decades. Hence my enjoyment(agrees to many topics this anime had talked about) to this anime.

2. In Hong Kong, the same story goes here. Let just say girls are alike.
stevency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 14:50   Link #128
Pleroma

Personally I like the realism. The typical Moe~ sterotype gets old fast and maybe its just me, but I would certainly want my ideal girl to be just as sexual and capable of vulgarity as myself or I would be rather bored.
Pleroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 18:58   Link #129
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
Are you disgusted at the low brow humor, or are you actually troubled by the way girls are shown to be what they are like real life? Much as you would like to believe, girls in anime do not portray a real view of how girls act in Japan. Just like any other country, girls are also interested in sex much as men are.
I am shocked by it, but not in a bad way; only in that you don't see such subjects portrayed on TV in the UK with such young characters (or maybe I am just watching the wrong shows!).

I am REALLY enjoyinhg though; episode 3 was hilarious.
thomasvye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 19:52   Link #130
bayoab

Quote:
Actually, most lonely male otakus who read and watch this have their dreams of girls being sensitive and nice crushed to death.

Something of interest I would like to ask:

I am not sure if it was disgusted or more of a "insulted" and "disappointed" that they would resort to it. I had watched the show because of the summary that it was like real life and I thought it would make an interesting plot. I was expecting some fanservice, but I was expecting it to be smart about it and not "Hey, we haven't seen fanservice shot in 30 seconds...".

First we have the climbing up the fence scene which was tolerable as that camera angle was possible. Then, when we came to the scene of them cutting their skirts shorter... (Instead of rolling them up on the top band on their skirts which is what I assume this is what it was trying to parody at but failed horribly.) ... and at which point I realized the point of this was so that they wouldn't have to worry about the camera angle to obtain a panty shot. As the show wore on, it became a "nice camera angle... and absolutely pointless" and "gee, now how are they going to get fanservice out of this... I wonder..." That final scene of the locked room just sealed the deal as that just beyond "thanks for reaching the lesbian joke in the most crude way possible... (not to mention pretty much impossible, but yes, its anime)".

I think the problem is I expected MORE realism out of this show. This show was being billed on its truth value, not its constant fanservice. When there wasn't fanservice on the screen, it was nice and realistic. (All 6 minutes straight. Yes, I counted while watching.) However, the stunning lack of realism when it came to the fanservice (Hospital gowns apparently make girl's chests grow 10 sizes) was very insulting and that they actually went to the toilet humor to make the jokes was equally insulting. So yes, I guess you can call it disgusted that they felt they had to resort to that level to make a joke every single time.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 22:01   Link #131
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
lolollololololol

philip72 sums it up.

bayoab stop taking it so serious.

If you want to see a realistic portray of female high school life.

Go watch a live documentry or something.
Old 2006-04-19, 22:42   Link #132
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72
Mmmm.... I as well.

For even though I had heard that there was much crude fanservice in this anime,
I (as I always do) poured myself a fine glass of port, got out the grey poupon, put on my cashmere dressing gown (with cravat), and settled in for the morally uplifting and always gentrifying evening of anime viewing.

Of course I was shocked, shocked to the core, that my delicate eyes beheld pantsu. "Can such a thing be displayed in an anime series?" I grumbled to myself. "Such crass behavior has never before been shown in anime" I bellowed.

After my twelfth viewing of the accidental 69, I put the used sock (herringbone twill) in the laundry hamper and immediately logged onto animesuki to register my rage and disgust.
You fail at troll. Legitimize, rationalize, troll all you want. Nothing makes this pos show any better or any more than fap material for lonely otaku. N O T H I N G.
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 23:00   Link #133
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

Tangent: I don't see how anyone could fap to this, but I don't pretend to understand other's fetishes. It's just that nothing in this show seems presented in an erotic way.

Edit: Except perhaps the green haired girl's daydreams...but those are so....retarded...
riznar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 23:23   Link #134
bayoab

Let me correct your failed attempt at trolling.
Quote:
Mmmm.... I as well.

No, nobody had mentioned how in your face it was. Fanservice != crude. Akbar's communication had finally reached me after I had finished watching the show and I was already looking for something else to occupy those 175 mb of hd space that doesn't make me think that the studio would be better off in ashes.
Quote:
I (as I always do) poured myself a fine glass of port, got out the grey poupon, put on my cashmere dressing gown (with cravat), and settled in for the morally uplifting and always gentrifying evening of anime viewing.
Where is this sophistication coming from? Smart does not imply sophisticated. Did your monocle break too?

Quote:
Of course I was shocked, shocked to the core, that my delicate eyes beheld pantsu. "Can such a thing be displayed in an anime series?" I grumbled to myself. "Such crass behavior has never before been shown in anime" I bellowed.
OH THE HUGE MANATEE. Panties in an anime. Okay, seriously. Learn to read. The correct comparison is renting a random movie and expecting to see Van Wilder but instead getting Deuce Bigalo 2.
Quote:
After my twelfth viewing of the accidental 69, I put the used sock (herringbone twill) in the laundry hamper and immediately logged onto animesuki to register my rage and disgust.
Thank you for being the perfect audiance for this show. You lived up to and beyond my expectations for someone who actually did not immediately delete it upon seeing the next episode preview. Way too much info too by the way..

Also animesuki has too much fanboy humpage. It needs more opinionated posts from people who have decent reasons for not liking series and not just. "OMG, this show is good!".

/Grade: FF for Fanboy failure.
// And yes. That was an attempt to troll.
///No, I am not saying pre-judging. I am saying after actually watching it. If you watch a yaoi show knowing you aren't going to like it, that is just trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
lolollololololol

philip72 sums it up.

bayoab stop taking it so serious.

If you want to see a realistic portray of female high school life.

Go watch a live documentry or something.
No, he was just trying to be a troll as PEDOS_GRANDE said and failed miserably at it. I am not saying the show should be serious. I am saying that the show is taking the viewer and going "As long as we show them boobs and panties and the occasional piece of body, we dont need a plot or even to make a real joke. "

I can see the creators now.
(W)! (W)!
IMI NASHI!!!1!
OCHI NASHI, YAMA KITA!!!!1!
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 23:34   Link #135
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Also animesuki has too much fanboy humpage. It needs more opinionated posts from people who have decent reasons for not liking series and not just. "OMG, this show is good!".
Fanboy humpage. I like this phrase. And it's very true.

Quote:
No, he was just trying to be a troll as PEDOS_GRANDE said and failed miserably at it. I am not saying the show should be serious. I am saying that the show is taking the viewer and going "As long as we show them boobs and panties and the occasional piece of body, we dont need a plot or even to make a real joke. "

I can see the creators now.
(W)! (W)!
IMI NASHI!!!1!
OCHI NASHI, YAMA KITA!!!!1!
Isn't that most anime these days? I mean it's dominated by high-school shows, harem shows, h-game adaptations, and pedophile fap-targets... It's kind of making me want to watch Camp Candy and Hammerman instead.

American cartoons may be for children, but increasingly, Japanese cartoons are for HORNY IDIOTS. And the pedophiles of course.

~_~ to this show. And ~_~ to you all.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 23:34   Link #136
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:
Mmmm.... I as well.

Good sir, I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 23:36   Link #137
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:

However if you are a heterosexual male, I'll call you a hypocrite and a liar and leave you with this piece of advice; Your not going to pick up any girls on this board by pretending to be pure of heart and hating fan service.
That would be assuming that there ARE girls here. Dude, its 1) the internet 2) anime 3) an anime board. Girls are the last thing I would expect to see here.

I prefer real girls to cartoons, thanks.

And bay and bomb are right, there is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar too much fanboy humpage here. The fanboy Groupmind explodes whenever someone dares have an opinion they dont like (hi, this show sucks, wtf) and summons the otakuhorde to its defense (see any criticism of anything having to do with Air or any other Key property). The board basically turns into one giant group pat-on-the-back. "OMG, I like this show panties are so HAWT." "Yeah, i know what you mean lol know what I mean lol" "Misuzu <3 <3" "OMG me too"
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 23:40   Link #138
bastard-sama
The Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE
That would be assuming that there ARE girls here. Dude, its 1) the internet 2) anime 3) an anime board. Girls are the last thing I would expect to see here.

I prefer real girls to cartoons, thanks.
you mean there isnt any real girls here? WHATTTT!!!?@$!% I came here for the real girls!!!!!
bastard-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 23:44   Link #139
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastard-sama
you mean there isnt any real girls here? WHATTTT!!!?@$!% I came here for the real girls!!!!!
Eh, they're expensive and unattractive.

Wait a second, I thought you meant realdolls. Meh, they're also expensive.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 00:15   Link #140
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
So seriously, what are you here for then? Aside from insinuating that anime fans are into pre-pubescents and lack intellect, what are you here for?

And I'm being called the troll, I just don't get it.
Just let it go. Not everyone understands satire. At least, I laughed at that post.

And trying to change anyone's mind when they've made it up is similarly useless. Just do what I do. Say your piece and then shut up. If they get your point, they'll get your point, otherwise repeating it is meaningless. Arguing with someone on the internet is useless.

I agree with most that there was an uncessary amount of fanservice in this show. This fanservice get in the way of noticing both the clever humor and social commentary that this episode contains, adding only a level of pruient interest and crude humor to suplement that interference. Without so much fanservice, this would be a better show.

On the other hand, I can deal with it and I recognize that it will help this show appeal to people who don't care as much about the social commentary, thus enhancing ratings and allowing it to be produced. So, I won't let that fanservice ruin a good show for me. Besides, the way it is used is mostly funny, almost as if it was parodying fanservice, so it isn't entirely wasted.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen