Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-06-22, 07:25   Link #121
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
To quote my friend Joey, a hardcore Duke Nukem 3D fan who still plays that game and its endless mods to this day:

From this I conclude that DNF sucks balls.
It did. I finished the game and I concluded that it wasted me 10 hours. I was hoping for more gratifying violence and crudeness, but this game looks like a modern shitfare hitting a spinning helo blade.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 07:33   Link #122
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Man, I wish tanks were that easy to take out...

In any case, DNF was finally delivered. Certainly wasn't expecting anything but par for the course, and it came about average to goodish. 12 years in development doesn't signal good game to me, more like "we just gotta throw this out so that people will stop whining about it."

L.A Noire, however...hehe.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 13:26   Link #123
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That makes Freespace 3 the next "Show X will be done right after game Y is finished" joke. With Full Metal Panic usually in the X spot.
Old 2011-06-30, 20:39   Link #124
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Technically Halo, but this article of the development of Halo 2 DOES cover some similar game production problems that Halo 2 suffered that Duke Nukem Forever did.

Quote:
"We absolutely could have used another couple of months to polish, but then we would have missed the last Christmas... It really wasn't an option," says Griesemer. Surprisingly, though, the team doesn't envy the ability of developers like Valve to state "when it's done" as their release date. "The problem with 'when it's done' is that it would never have been done," admits Griesemer cheerfully. "We could create and scrap 20 versions of the game and never ship any of them."

"Moving to that kind of schedule would only have caused us to lose our focus on getting the game completed," concurs Butcher.
While they use Valve as the example (maybe unfairly), if you replace them with 3D Realms the analogy becomes uncanny.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-30, 20:44   Link #125
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That makes Freespace 3 the next "Show X will be done right after game Y is finished" joke. With Full Metal Panic usually in the X spot.
Really? swoit.. bring on FS3 and FMP!

Srsly though, I'd raze a small country for FS3. Played a few of the single player campaigns created for FS2, some of them are totally awesome.

Could replace Valve with Blizzard too for the 'when its done' approach.
Old 2011-06-30, 21:09   Link #126
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Could replace Valve with Blizzard too for the 'when its done' approach.
Except Blizzard DOES mostly release it's games eventually And the one's they don't, they actually wisely choose to abandon than trying to work on them nonstop for over a decade through constant different builds.

I mean, It's only really 3D Realms that ACTUALLY went the whole flanderized route of development hell where it was literally working on Forever full time for over a decade.
Old 2011-07-01, 04:37   Link #127
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*snort* I'm sorry, but the "we could have used a couple more months" excuse doesn't fly for the game which holds the current record of being the longest in development ever.

Most complaints are about the actual gameplay itself anyway, graphics and bugs are secondary.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 06:59   Link #128
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*snort* I'm sorry, but the "we could have used a couple more months" excuse doesn't fly for the game which holds the current record of being the longest in development ever.

Most complaints are about the actual gameplay itself anyway, graphics and bugs are secondary.
...how was Halo 2 the longest game development time ever? Did you misread the article?
Old 2011-07-01, 10:19   Link #129
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

You used it as an analogy, I'm saying it doesn't fly for Duke.
Old 2011-07-01, 12:28   Link #130
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They did wait a couple of more months though....many, many times. And it suffered because of it.
Though at some point, perfection left and something else entered the picture.
Old 2011-07-01, 12:51   Link #131
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

They woulda made more just making a better looking DN3D
Old 2011-07-01, 20:11   Link #132
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
You used it as an analogy, I'm saying it doesn't fly for Duke.
HOW doesn't it fly for the development hell that Duke Nukem 3D went through? Wasn't THAT bassically a case of endless yearning for perfectionism, resulting in a game that was in development forever and went through countless different builds?

How is that not a spot on analogy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
They woulda made more just making a better looking DN3D
I find it questionable if 3D realms was physically capable of clamping down on a final list of features they wanted for the game.
Old 2011-07-01, 22:20   Link #133
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
I guess that 3D Realms has just screwed Duke Nukem franchise when it comes to others like Max Payne, Prey (2006) & Alan Wake. Wait, Just Max Payne.

12 Years of waiting has just turned into a complete waste of time.

Way to go, assholes (The people who made DNF).

To me that I never stick to the game based of what reviews judge & bought some games depends of 6 - 9 out of 10 score instead.

PS - I rather check out 'EXTRAS' section on the menu instead (I mean I finished the game already).

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-07-02 at 09:15.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 23:26   Link #134
David Watts
Stay Free

Send a message via MSN to David Watts
I have heard so many disappointing things about this game..I kinda thought this would have been a cool game to play but now...
Old 2011-07-02, 04:54   Link #135
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Honestly the only things that i liked were the funny moments , the references & the vulgarities.
After , the gameplay & cie are just standard & not interesting.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 08:56   Link #136
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
HOW doesn't it fly for the development hell that Duke Nukem 3D went through? Wasn't THAT bassically a case of endless yearning for perfectionism, resulting in a game that was in development forever and went through countless different builds?

How is that not a spot on analogy?
*sigh* Because I was referencing this line:

Quote:
"We absolutely could have used another couple of months to polish, but then we would have missed the last Christmas... It really wasn't an option,"
Which is an excuse Duke can't use. Ever. Because it's had 180 of those.
Old 2011-07-02, 11:09   Link #137
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Which is an excuse Duke can't use. Ever. Because it's had 180 of those.
You're missing the forest for the trees.

Quote:
"We absolutely could have used another couple of months to polish, but then we would have missed the last Christmas... It really wasn't an option," says Griesemer. Surprisingly, though, the team doesn't envy the ability of developers like Valve to state "when it's done" as their release date. "The problem with 'when it's done' is that it would never have been done," admits Griesemer cheerfully. "We could create and scrap 20 versions of the game and never ship any of them."
The point isn't that Duke Forever just needed a few more months to be a good game (which as you say is FAR from the case). The point is about the idea's of not having solid dead lines, which is something that Duke Nukem Forever entirely lacked unlike Halo 2. The analogy works because the reason Duke Nukem Forever wasn't released was because of 180 months spent trying to make the game obsessively perfect.

Tags
first person shooter