5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 6.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.27%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 4.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-04-12, 00:26   Link #121
Darthtabby

I feel having Mirage punch Hayate was a mistake. It made it seem like she lacked discipline and self control. (Though interestingly I loved the scene in Frontier I think it was a shout out to. Probably because Ozma's punching Alto after Alto asked to be allowed to pilot one of the valkyries Ozma was responsible for was a subversion of audience expectations.)

On a related note, according to one of the commenters on Random C, the gesture Hayate made with his arm/fist when Mirage stormed off after punching him is equivalent to giving someone the middle finger.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 00:41   Link #122
YF19EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
On a related note, according to one of the commenters on Random C, the gesture Hayate made with his arm/fist when Mirage stormed off after punching him is equivalent to giving someone the middle finger.
Basically
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 01:06   Link #123
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Huh? I thought it was already public knowledge. So, there's actually people who didn't catch it? Are only those born in the 80s & 90s who can instantly notice it?
Old 2016-04-12, 01:20   Link #124
Friday
Im shy too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I take it you went straight into watching episode 2 from the preview version of episode 1 instead of watching the actual TV version episode 1? Because the beginning of this episode just picks up where TV episode 1 ended.
ok thanx
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 01:20   Link #125
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Fridge thought: If the track record of the past is that
Spoiler for just in case you've not watched any of the other series:
then what does it say if the plane that saves the girl is then saved by another plane piloted by another girl?

Walkure must be amazingly popular if hundreds of teenagers are auditioning for a job that carries with it an extremely high probability of dying in a variety of unpleasant ways. Kaname even mentions this to them. The retirement bonus must be nice?
They get to be idols even though (judging by the final auditions) they can't sing.

Quote:
I feel having Mirage punch Hayate was a mistake. It made it seem like she lacked discipline and self control. (Though interestingly I loved the scene in Frontier I think it was a shout out to. Probably because Ozma's punching Alto after Alto asked to be allowed to pilot one of the valkyries Ozma was responsible for was a subversion of audience expectations.)

Yeah, I remember one of our (French) politicians doing that on TV when discussing whether France should apologize to its former colonies.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 01:28   Link #126
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Given that "runes" are apparently the thick hair things that Windermerians have, like Frejya's heart rune and the Knight's diamond runes, I'm pretty sure he does have one - in fact, he has two green diamond ones hanging from his hair.
Now then, the question is what happened to Windermere since Freyja Wion left there not just to get away from her fiance, but from the prosecution that she was influenced by music in which it's a no-no for the current government.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 01:40   Link #127
magnuskn

Who wants to take a bet that Freyja's potential betrothed isn't just the "apple farmer's son" or whatever it was she said? ^^
Old 2016-04-12, 02:45   Link #128
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Who wants to take a bet that Freyja's potential betrothed isn't just the "apple farmer's son" or whatever it was she said? ^^
Apple farm heir does not exactly mean farmer so it could mean the heir of the guy who owns the apple farm. Land lord most likely.

Between a monarchy and knights it isn't farfetched that Windermere practices feudalism.

Which could be the reason why the revolution and independence war started. Nobles were losing power to this joint government with aliens that insist human rights and democracy,

Oh I'm hoping that pet of Mirage isn't something Max picked up for her.

ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 02:50   Link #129
Arya

... Aka umbrella gesture ... for the records

Quote:
What is giving me great hope for Mirage is that the writers also tried to make Sheryl unlikeable in episode 1 of Frontier (and then utterly failed to extend that even to the second episode ^^). So there will probably be a huge turnaround for Mirage.
I'm getting some vibes, but considering her role I think they are not taking the same route. She is not a singer, she is not an idol, she is not an higher-up. She basically is miss nobody (say, Freya in one episode became an Idol). She is an underdog.

And I'd be fine. All considered I'd hope for her to stay not exactly likable, overzealous and uptight for a while.
I suppose she is acting in this way for a reason, like likely having lost someone in the battlefield or due to war. On the other hand Hayate seems the kind of person unenthusiastic, that doesn't take things seriously.
I think, letting aside Mirage aggressive behavior, she was in the right in what she was saying (well, despite then his leader was of the let-him-do-whatever kind of approach, that I don't like). We all know that it's just because he is an MC that nothing bad happened.

So, if she softened up too fast well, that would compromise a bit her character. As I said, I 'd prefer them to soften each other up, through quarrels

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 03:43   Link #130
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Mirage's anger was well justified when Hayate touched her plane without permission. Although her anger was probably compounded by Hayate's earlier actions in saving Freyja, where Mirage's attitude at the time was, imo, not well placed.

- Tak
Are you really trying imply that touching ones Valkyrie is bigger deal, than stealing military fighter and play cowboy in middle of city? Hayate could go into jail for decade or so, if commander was little less chill guy.

He should be happy he got away just with getting punched.
Old 2016-04-12, 04:08   Link #131
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
I think Freyja's fiance might be none other than Keith Aero Winderemere... or maybe Lord Heinz.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 04:14   Link #132
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Are you really trying imply that touching ones Valkyrie is bigger deal, than stealing military fighter and play cowboy in middle of city? Hayate could go into jail for decade or so, if commander was little less chill guy.

He should be happy he got away just with getting punched.
I agree. About Mirage she may have not punched him, but just because she is a solider. So now she should/could be subjected to some sanction.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2016-04-12, 04:17   Link #133
Tenzen12

Yeah, some sanction would not be out place, that much is definitely true.

Well as noted before her superior doesn't seem like someone to make neither Hayato or Mirage pay for this kind of blunder. So they are both lucky.
Old 2016-04-12, 04:58   Link #134
Arya

Yeah, I said should because of that, the commander seems the kind who follows the "ah, I was like him when I was young" BS or the like. I'm not saying he should be extremely strict, but at least the norm But as I said, I'm ok with it, even because at least there's someone (Mirage) addressing the obvious.

Old 2016-04-12, 05:22   Link #135
ReddyRedWolf

Interesting theory on why some Winderemereans hate Earth culture. Humans were engineered to be powerful fold wave transmitters, hybrids also have this potential as shown with Emilia and Mylene, as seen with the Vajra they can't normally communicate with Humans as they are not receivers. Windermereans Fold Receptor Factor is based on their Runes, organs that can transmit and receive fold waves or Space-Time Resonance energy.

In short Humans are loud uncultured primitives to them.
Old 2016-04-12, 06:15   Link #136
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Yeah, I said should because of that, the commander seems the kind who follows the "ah, I was like him when I was young" BS or the like. I'm not saying he should be extremely strict, but at least the norm But as I said, I'm ok with it, even because at least there's someone (Mirage) addressing the obvious.
Or maybe he reads past record and see that Macross Military Mavericks = badass pilots.
Old 2016-04-12, 06:16   Link #137
Dragonria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
That is a shota. So more like Prince or King.
Look more like a girl to me unless young boys are also wearing a skirt in the kingdom of wind:
Dragonria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 06:55   Link #138
ReddyRedWolf

Thinking about it Mirage will probably hear an earful from Aunt Mylene punching a civilian who jumped a Valkyrie to protect others.

That is what Mylene did at age 14 riding her mom's red VF-1J.
Old 2016-04-12, 07:03   Link #139
deadite

Kawamori has usualy been anti military thats why he prefers pmcs.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 07:06   Link #140
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhklan View Post
Or maybe he reads past record and see that Macross Military Mavericks = badass pilots.
eheh, I'm sure that's the implied reason in-universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonria View Post
Look more like a girl to me unless young boys are also wearing a skirt in the kingdom of wind:
If you raise the luminosity from say Photoshop you can even see her/him face. I'd say she is a girl, unless being a trap, of course.