AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2015-04-14, 19:35   Link #121
Starway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Wow, reading this alongside what I've read about the Date A Live dub...it really seems like Funimation or their scriptwriters take a look at what they're adapting, see "Action-Harem with Fanservice," and thinks that gives them free rein to take plenty of liberties with the dub script to make it more "colorful" or "acceptable" for American audiences. Even when it comes at the expense of the plot or the characters .

I mean, I can understand changing certain things that maybe the general American audience might not understand easily, and having Issei call Rias by her first name is at least somewhat forgivable since they probably had no idea how plot-important it would become to their relationship, but outright changing a characters name? That just seems really unprofessional, unnecessary, and is especially disappointing to see in a Funimation dub since they're generally a lot more respectable a studio compared to 4Kids. I don't think a dub script should ever change things so much that it adversely effects the plot or characters, or really changes characterization.

It's disappointing to see this effect DxD since it seems like the dub cast is pretty solid overall, they just have to deal with a script and direction that could be more true to the source material. Though I seem to recall being very disappointed with what they did with Akeno's voice...

I'm genuinely curious, how did they handle the Religious elements in New? I know they downplayed it in the first season, but I doubt they could have done it as well here, especially in the first arc or when Michael shows up.
What did they do with the date a live dub?
Old 2015-04-14, 21:35   Link #122
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
In english he's often known as Vlad the Impaler, but it still doesn't warrant a name change. Then again, neither did giving Koneko a taste in rap music, but they still did for some reason.
Koneko does like rap music. She was a big fan of the Rapping Kappa.

The only issue i have with the dub is the calling Rias by her name. THe others such as gasper bloody i didn't even notice or really care. Since I knew it was vladi, I must have just heard bloody as vladi. close enough.

As for the 4-kids treatment remark. I think too many people give dubs a bad name. We think things all sound super cool in japanese and try and put some super clever meaning behind every joke they say and when it doesn't get translated PERFECTLY the same we throw a fit.

I always find it amusing how when say a manga chapter comes out for One Piece, 99.99999% of the people don't get a joke that was referenced in one panel. Then Aohige or someone comes in and explains the joke, which takes multiple paragraphs about translating, naming, history, kanji, ect. And then eveyrone is like "oh i get it now, that is pretty funny" Then when the anime gets to it "dub wise" the anime team will change the joke to something that american viewers would get without having to have a booklet accompanying the episode to explain why its funny, yet this causes all those people who didn't get the joke in the first place to start throwing shit at the screen and saying Funimation ruined it.

This series, like most other japanese anime, has jokes that do not translate well if at all. Getting upset over every little difference is just stupid.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-15, 00:11   Link #123
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starway View Post
What did they do with the date a live dub?
Apparently, some of the dramatic scenes are reduced in the dub scripts and their is some political undertones inserted into certain characters dialogue .
Old 2015-04-15, 08:37   Link #124
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
Koneko does like rap music. She was a big fan of the Rapping Kappa.
Doesn't mean they need to make her stupidly talk like a rapper. There's a HUGE difference there.

Quote:
This series, like most other japanese anime, has jokes that do not translate well if at all. Getting upset over every little difference is just stupid.
Yeah, I don't care about all that. I care about characters feeling the same. Which they don't in this. I want the same attention to detail that, for example, Steins;Gate got.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-15, 15:02   Link #125
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Doesn't mean they need to make her stupidly talk like a rapper. There's a HUGE difference there.
I don't even think it comes up in the anime at all, and I doubt the people writing the scripts were aware of it, which means it was just put in there...just because .

Quote:
Yeah, I don't care about all that. I care about characters feeling the same. Which they don't in this. I want the same attention to detail that, for example, Steins;Gate got.
Yeah, definitely. I don't think a professional dub should, at any point, come off like an abridged series and take the type of liberties you could expect to see there. Not to say that the entire DxD dub comes off like that, especially having never watched a full-episode of the dub, but some of the decisions made in terms of the scriptwriting make it sound like it gets like that at some points.

A scriptwriter shouldn't look at the content of an anime and think that they can be a lot looser with it compared to another series just because of it's content. If there's a lot of jokes that only a native Japanese speaker or someone with knowledge of the culture could understand, then I can get making changes there. But I can't really think of many instances in either season one or New where you'd need to understand Japanese culture to get the jokes or plot. And it seems like some of the new joke comes at the cost of characterization .
Old 2015-04-15, 17:19   Link #126
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Let's move the dub discussion here (Dubbing of High School DxD) since this thread isn't really for that.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-01, 08:16   Link #127
ukulelembo
Detective

Some news from Ishibumi's blog:
Spoiler:

Last edited by ukulelembo; 2015-05-01 at 09:32.
ukulelembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-01, 09:19   Link #128
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulelembo View Post
Some news from Ishibumi's blog:
You should use spoiler tags for these things, this is the anime thread.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-01, 09:33   Link #129
ukulelembo
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiryuushintei View Post
You should use spoiler tags for these things, this is the anime thread.
I didn't see any rules in the first post but as you wish.
Old 2015-05-01, 13:44   Link #130
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

It's a general rule for the forums. Unless it's specifically stated what the policy is in any given thread, you should always assume that there are people watching the anime who haven't read the source material, and that openly talking about spoilers is not allowed.

Basically, err on the side of caution. There's less trouble that way.
Old 2015-05-02, 00:45   Link #131
ukulelembo
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Well, point is also that those basically aren't spoilers from novels, but information from creators. Ishibumi actually is ambiguous enough to don't spoil anything important. That's why I assumed that it was okay to post it here. Especially when there are no written rules in first post. If you want to practice "don't spoil even trailers and promo informations" policy, then would be better to write it into first post.
Old 2015-05-02, 00:53   Link #132
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulelembo View Post
Well, point is also that those basically aren't spoilers from novels, but information from creators. Ishibumi actually is ambiguous enough to don't spoil anything important. That's why I assumed that it was okay to post it here. Especially when there are no written rules in first post. If you want to practice "don't spoil even trailers and promo informations" policy, then would be better to write it into first post.
That wasn't promo information though, it was stuff the author said in his personal blog to calm down LN readers who were mad with the changes between the anime and LN. And the sole mention of the C-word already spoils it's existence, so it's still quite a heavy spoiler.

But I agree the first post should be edited to avoid misunderstandings.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-02, 05:06   Link #133
ukulelembo
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiryuushintei View Post
And the sole mention of the C-word already spoils it's existence, so it's still quite a heavy spoiler.
Does really? Considering all changes.... Well, maybe.
In any case, if there were written rules in first post I'd be much more careful when its writing.
Old 2015-05-02, 13:57   Link #134
XFire
150% done

Well, there went any hope of actual continuity. And despite my supporting the new version previously, they ruined my favorite scene in the series so f**k this shit.

Eh, I'll probably calm down later.
Old 2015-05-02, 19:59   Link #135
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Well, there went any hope of actual continuity. And despite my supporting the new version previously, they ruined my favorite scene in the series so f**k this shit.

Eh, I'll probably calm down later.
I believe i warned you about this after the first few episodes but u said i was overreacting hm.

Im the current vice-general of the DxD Army (aka the translators army.
We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-02, 21:12   Link #136
Starway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
I believe i warned you about this after the first few episodes but u said i was overreacting hm.
Yep thats the way it goes we see some slight problems thats a really bad idea and we know it might get worse we're told how wrong we are cuz the author said it was fine or how you can't expect a 1:1 copy of the LN(missing the point much) then this happens and people start ever complaining about the stuff we've been conplaining about or they bring up the 1:1 thing and complain that people what the anime to follow the LN closely which Is missing the point on so many levels it not even funny. adding both filler scenes and the first half of volume 7 into these episodes was a horrible ideas some of the filler is good but cuz of that were rushing the canon scene people want to see, on the other hand the Loki filler and adding the first half of volume 7 was the most stupid idea ever not only it contribute nothing it make it's make it worse.

Hopefully volume 5 6 and the end of volume 7 do better cuz this was horrible wasted time and ruined lots of scene everyone wanted to see not to mention any scenes that are geting skipped hope they get put in next season or something.

Edit post came off a little rude sorry about that just not happy.
Old 2015-05-02, 21:17   Link #137
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Speak for yourself. You're still only part of the minority in that opinion, at least as far as this forum's concerned. Try not to turn this into ZnT forum 2.0, please.
Old 2015-05-02, 22:59   Link #138
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
It's not actually that bad, but Akeno's been my favorite ever since volume seven so this episode pissed me off.
Old 2015-05-02, 23:00   Link #139
GDB

Agreed. Instead of merely being disappointed that a scene you wanted to see animated wasn't done perfectly, you resort to raging. And some of you are clearly looking for faults just so you can complain rather than trying to enjoy the series.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-03, 00:06   Link #140
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quoting myself to make the same point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
There's a thread in the novel sub-forum that's sadly underused: High School DxD - Weekly Anime Episode-to-Novel Comparison Thread [Spoilers Aplenty]

And I would HIGHLY SUGGEST that all this discussion move there.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote