Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-29, 07:23   Link #1381
LazyCanuck
I do nothing all the time

I completely and 100% ignore reviewers

Reviews serve no purpose to me what so ever, I and I alone will decide if an anime is good or not (to myself anyway), and as Chaos~ said, far to many Reviewers just nit pick at the most ridiculous things ever, like slight animation errors, or whatever, and some of them ONLY talk about the bad and not the good, and frankly if you honestly found nothing good about the anime, no one gives a shit that you thought it was the most horrible thing you've ever seen and the 5 paragraphs that follow.

If i were to read reviews it would be an anime that i already had the intention to watch, and i dont care about every single little detail about what sucked, i wanna hear what was good so i can get more motivated to watch it. I really think the saying "If you dont have anything good to say, dont say anything at all" fits well IMO

I do usually pay heed to word of mouth, just because its fast and easy and its usualy by people who have somewhat the same kind of tastes as me, but for the most part I pick what to watch and whatever by myself for myself ~_~
Old 2009-01-29, 08:18   Link #1382
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
That would be 7arcs. But hey, no one knows or cares about them.
Mhmm... backing way up, but I just realized something... might be old news to some, though.

Seven Arcs has got Asura Cryin' in the works. Genre is fantasy. According to this blog entry (check the poster) it is:

"A both lighthearted and serious school action story revolving around Tomoharu Natsume, a boy who has been haunted by a ghostly girl who seems to be his childhood friend."

Seiyuu lineup includes Ai Nonaka, Haruka Tomatsu, and Rie Tanaka.

There's nothing on the Seven Arcs website, but here's the ASCII site for the light novel/manga.
http://asciimw.jp/mediamix/asura-cryin/

*Just looking at that cover, my guess would be that Rie Tanaka will be the dark haired girl with her hands pressed together, and Haruka Tomatsu will be the redhead... maybe?*

Might be something to look forward to for the coming year. Especially after Haruka Tomatsu's breakout performance in Kannagi. More of her will be a good thing.

AS topic in the 'Unaired' forum (someone gave a link for the manga):
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=72446

The redhead looks moe
Old 2009-01-29, 11:06   Link #1383
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
Another great article. Very good explanation of moe. I'm looking forward to your future articles. One thing that I would like you to address in your blog, if possible, is your own view about that discussion we had a little back in here about what sources you think people should use to base their moe for voting in ISML.
Most likely, I'd talk about that during the Touhou and the Screentime rule article, but if I don't, I'll tack it on to the articles somewhere...
Old 2009-01-29, 11:29   Link #1384
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Round 3 is fail. I rallied atleast 5+ votes for Anya and she still lost! If she doesn't this round I give up.
Old 2009-01-29, 11:42   Link #1385
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyCanuck View Post
gah i've been playing too much touhoumon, i had to read like 4 pages and some of you like to type too much D:
Same here, same here ;_; Luckily most of the talk didnt interest me very much so I could just skip the majority.

Votes votes:

Group D fails for putting Vita and Shiori in the same group DDD:
Old 2009-01-29, 13:25   Link #1386
Blacksmith_Tony

Quote:
anyway same as before, Groud B goes to Yuuko, Group C goes to Miyamiya(as useless as this is since no one loves Miyamiya )
It may be useless, but some of us do love MiyaMiya. If one ef girl could get through I'd much prefer it was her, however I don't really see it happening .

Spoiler for Round 4 Votes:

Two new girls to vote for this time, although Haruka only just edged out Yuuko. Group A was interesting though, since it seems there's a concentration of the majority of characters I don't know put into that group. Although I'm pretty happy to vote for Matsuri anyway.
Old 2009-01-29, 17:25   Link #1387
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
I completely and 100% ignore reviewers

Reviews serve no purpose to me what so ever, I and I alone will decide if an anime is good or not (to myself anyway), and as Chaos~ said, far to many Reviewers just nit pick at the most ridiculous things ever, like slight animation errors, or whatever, and some of them ONLY talk about the bad and not the good, and frankly if you honestly found nothing good about the anime, no one gives a shit that you thought it was the most horrible thing you've ever seen and the 5 paragraphs that follow.

If i were to read reviews it would be an anime that i already had the intention to watch, and i dont care about every single little detail about what sucked, i wanna hear what was good so i can get more motivated to watch it. I really think the saying "If you dont have anything good to say, dont say anything at all" fits well IMO

I do usually pay heed to word of mouth, just because its fast and easy and its usualy by people who have somewhat the same kind of tastes as me, but for the most part I pick what to watch and whatever by myself for myself ~_~
So because many reviewers nitpick that means all reviews are bad? Stop over-generalizing things. As a reviewer your words hurt me, thanks.
Old 2009-01-29, 17:53   Link #1388
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
So because many reviewers nitpick that means all reviews are bad? Stop over-generalizing things. As a reviewer your words hurt me, thanks.
I *think* he's referring to reviewers at official anime sites such as ANN, not casual reviewers or fans who do it out of love. At least, that's who I was referring to.

For instance if I read one of your reviews on MAL, I'd consider it more a word-of-mouth recommendation, rather than that of someone who made a living off of it and so might skew his/her review towards snarkiness, sensationalism, or other tricks to gain attention (and sales/ad revenue etc).

Usable reviews (i.e. those not done for profit or personal gain) are useful tools to learn about anime to consider watching
Old 2009-01-29, 17:56   Link #1389
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Critical analysis means diddly squat to some people, especially ones who choose not to think very much about what they watch. I'm sure LC is the first to admit he is like this.
Old 2009-01-29, 18:26   Link #1390
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just over a half hour left in voting today.
Old 2009-01-29, 18:35   Link #1391
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Luckily most of the talk didnt interest me very much so I could just skip the majority.
Sorry, I'm a NEET without a life. Writing here to let off some energy is one of the few things I manage to find the motivation to do.

*shrug*

Re: Touhou and sources for moe evaluation... Here's an interesting article I found:

Riding on Fans' Energy

It's another long one, so for the tl;dr crowd, here's a highlight.
Quote:
Touhou is ZUN’s work as much as it is a gigantic repertoire of fan-made manga, games, music, and video clips. I estimate that there are roughly at least three thousands short manga, five hundred music rearrangement albums, and one hundred derivative games created since 2003. These works are traded mainly in conventions dedicated to them, and some commertial firms are starting to capitalize on their popularity. Doujinshi shops like Tora no Ana and Mandarake have shelves dedicate to Touhou comics. And Amazon.co.jp are carrying CDs of arranged/sampled Touhou music (but not ZUN’s originals). More and more people are attracted to the franchise because its diverse derivative works provide a variety of entry points for potiential fans.

---

What we see here is the rise of a media franchise from obscurity to stardom, riding on creative energy of its fans. Touhou inspires its fans to create. Fan creations then would become integral to the franchise itself, and would bring more fans to be inspired to create yet again. This chain reaction bestows Touhou with free publicity and a community of loyal fans/producers, an extraordinary feat for a project with such little capital investment.
Emphasis added.

I think I'm beginning to understand how fans might feel if you consider the "creative energy" aspect of the franchise. It's fairly easy to see how "collective pride" could drive such a phenomenon and how that pride, in being part of something so unique, could lead to the kind of fervent outpouring of support when "their" girls suddenly show up in a contest like "ours."

And something else I came upon concerning ZUN. I don't know if the only article people read about his concern for the anime was at Sankaku Complex, but this blogger has a different take that makes him seem a little less uptight about it.

The thin balance between canon and fanon

Also, hot of the press. Shana III in Autumn

Last edited by Mushi; 2009-01-29 at 21:32.
Old 2009-01-29, 19:23   Link #1392
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Are you guys ready for rage? I suspect that since the "characters people would most likely multi-vote on" are out, this process might take less time. On the other hand, minty is sick...
Old 2009-01-29, 19:26   Link #1393
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Might as well crown Shana with the Tiara now.
Old 2009-01-29, 19:29   Link #1394
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Sorry, I'm a NEET without a life. Writing here to let off some energy is one of the few things I manage to find the motivation to do.

*shrug*
You didnt take that offensive, did you? D:
Old 2009-01-29, 19:34   Link #1395
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Might as well crown Shana with the Tiara now.

If it's true, the arenas will be in for a bit of a tumble come double-elimination time.

Back at Touhou... here's some awesome fan art.
Old 2009-01-29, 19:38   Link #1396
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
You didnt take that offensive, did you? D:
Oh, no.... just making excuses for myself.

I don't always like to read long posts either, but if it's something I'm genuinely interested in then I appreciate it when people take the time to put some thought into the subject at hand.
Old 2009-01-29, 19:41   Link #1397
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Are you guys ready for rage? I suspect that since the "characters people would most likely multi-vote on" are out, this process might take less time. On the other hand, minty is sick...
What? :\

-Prepares self for the worst?-
Old 2009-01-29, 19:58   Link #1398
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Is he sick, or did he happen to watch the RAW of After Story 16 today?
Old 2009-01-29, 20:20   Link #1399
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonae View Post
What? :\

-Prepares self for the worst?-
Kholdstare's just trolling, like he does best.
Old 2009-01-29, 20:42   Link #1400
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Quote:
Hm... I- I don't quite know what to make of the pic at that blog

I think I'll just save it for future... use. Er, "reference"

Can't complain about more Shana

Tags
international, saimoe