AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-15, 00:04   Link #1421
Swann

It really is starting look as if the next Etolie is/are Shizuma and Nagisa. I suppose Tamao will be the one to step down. After all, it’s the only way for her to stay in character. In almost every episode they made a point of clearly showing us Tamao observing Nagisa's love for Shizuma. It's no secret to her. If she were to ignore this and selfishly go against Nagisa's heart she wouldn't be the selfless Tamao which many of you like so much. Catch-22 for her but that shouldn’t be a surprise.

I agree though that they are milking this series a little too much. They should have made Tomao a little more comic like she is in the manga. And there is no need to rush the ending like this. Better to do less well than leave us with an unfulfilling conclusion.

(I expect some quality ShizumaXNagisa time in the last episode as payment for suffering induced by being a staunch fan of those two.)
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 00:59   Link #1422
htsuji

I wonder why someone who doesn't watch the show can barefacedly pretend to be an all-knowing critics, saying, "I don't watch the show. All I can do is to recite someone else's rumour which I have chosen on purpose." It seems very strange to me.
htsuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 01:02   Link #1423
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro
I don't think that's it. The thing w/KGNE is, while a lot of people hated a certain character and/or supported another, there were other people who genuinely hated the show for it's entirety such as underdevelopment, illogical behavior, poor pacing, out of place "humour" and crappy characters. Among other things. I think Strawberry Panic is suffering from that syndrome. It's just poorly written, and that's really the jist of it.
*shrug*

Lots of flashy disswords without a trace of justification. Especially in conjunction with KGNE, which I consider particularly excellent in the case of character building and logical, gradual development. And when it came to pacing, if you skim the usual review sites, the lack of drama or impact was not among the common criticisms. Again, more power to you, but after reading your verdict on KGNE, I can't help myself but to realize that your taste in anime is even more alien to me than before.

So what remains to me to chuckle at (excuse me) this heated and extremely long exchange between two people of which both seem to thoroughly dislike the show, and out of which one hasn't even really watched it. Wow

In the meantime, there's the exit, girls. Why don't you go watch something "good" instead?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 01:08   Link #1424
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsuji
I wonder why someone who doesn't watch the show can barefacedly pretend to be an all-knowing critics, saying, "I don't watch the show. All I can do is to recite someone else's rumour which I have chosen on purpose." It seems very strange to me.
How can I? Simple, the majority of characters never progress, and I knew about the major plot points from reading the manga. Nagisa of episode one is absolutely no different from Nagisa of episode twenty-four. Any generalizations I make about the characters from watching watching ten episodes will hold for the entire series. Any major going-ons in the series usually take only a sentence or two to express. ("Oh no! Someone tried to rape Hikari again!" or "Shizuma and Nagisa ALMOST kissed for the thirtieth time this episode!")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Why don't you go watch something "good" instead?
No need to concern yourself on my account, I'm well ahead of you.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 01:14   Link #1425
htsuji

I'm sorry. But I have to say... mussouka, you cannot deny the fact that you don't watch the show. It's you who has admit it, isn't it?
Old 2006-09-15, 01:16   Link #1426
musouka

EDIT: Since this post was unclear, let me clarify. I'm not trying to say no one could see SP's problems before I poked my head into the thread and stirred up a hornet's nest (my apologies), only that no one could tell I hadn't seen fourteen episodes of the series before I admitted that I hadn't. This, to me, is indicative that SP's problems are ongoing. The things I mentioned are still issues with the series even at a later date. That's all.

Sorry to have derailed the thread.

Last edited by musouka; 2006-09-15 at 17:40.
Old 2006-09-15, 01:18   Link #1427
htsuji

The show is not that bad for those who can understand Japanese well. After all, you are not a customer.
Old 2006-09-15, 01:20   Link #1428
musouka

Quote:
The show is not that bad for whom can understand Japanese well. After all, you are not a customer.
I watched the raws. Try again?
Old 2006-09-15, 01:22   Link #1429
htsuji

You are not a customer. Anyone can watch raws without understanding them.
Old 2006-09-15, 01:22   Link #1430
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Seinen yuri light novels FTW
Ahh, the second volume of the seinen manga Strawberry Panic! will be out soon, I'll post its cover when its available
Sorry but there is no stuff called seinen light novels.
Light novels are basically for underages (shounen and shoujo).
Also, mangas based on them are for underages, if there are no critical variations.
But that wouldn't mean that seinen (young men over 18 or adults) are not allowed to read them.

Last edited by warainagara; 2006-09-15 at 01:46.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 01:33   Link #1431
musouka

Quote:
Anyone can watch raws without understanding them.
But not many people go to the trouble of watching them if they can't.
Old 2006-09-15, 01:38   Link #1432
htsuji

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
But not many people go to the trouble of watching them if they can't.
Strangely, many amatuer anime critices do.

Anyway, if you don't like the show and already stopped watching them. Please ignore it.
Old 2006-09-15, 01:50   Link #1433
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
How can I? Simple, the majority of characters never progress, and I knew about the major plot points from reading the manga.
Wrong. The major plot points between anime and manga diverge quite a bit. The characters are quite different in many aspects (for example Yaya or Shizuma), and the developments are different too (for example Shizuma and Nagisa entering instead of Tamao-Nagisa).

Quote:
Nagisa of episode one is absolutely no different from Nagisa of episode twenty-four.
Wrong. That's the danger of these sweeping overgeneralizations. Nagisa from the beginning was very timid and shy, while she's much more relaxed and outgoing now. Her relationship for example with Tamao was distrustful at first and very close and cordial (but not romantic) now, and her relationship with Shizuma went through more changes than I bother to list now.

Quote:
Any generalizations I make about the characters from watching watching ten episodes will hold for the entire series.
The first two generalizations you did above did not hold. You know, you're talking yourself into a very embarrassing fix lately. Maybe you should stop.

Quote:
Any major going-ons in the series usually take only a sentence or two to express. ("Oh no! Someone tried to rape Hikari again!" or "Shizuma and Nagisa ALMOST kissed for the thirtieth time this episode!")
That's called circular logic, you know. You're feeding yourself "knowledge" gained mostly from brief and sloppy summaries, and then you conclude that the show is sloppy aswell. Reason for this theory? Well, because you know (from summaries) that this is all it is.

Just to make sure I'm not mistaken: No, StoPani isn't the epitome of storytelling and quite flawed in several aspects. Nevertheless, it's not as bad as you make it, and your "I knew right from the start how things would be" posturing is utter nonsense. In fact, most of the later developments came as a major surprise. Which is one of the redeeming factors of this show.

I seriously recommend that you leave to greener pasture shows and leave the discussion of StoPani to those who actually watched it. Thank you ^_^
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 01:50   Link #1434
musouka

Forget it.

Last edited by musouka; 2006-09-15 at 02:42.
Old 2006-09-15, 02:02   Link #1435
musouka

Don't feel like perpetuating this argument.

Last edited by musouka; 2006-09-15 at 02:42.
Old 2006-09-15, 03:39   Link #1436
DrewGSR

Find another thread to troll. =P
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 06:23   Link #1437
Kuro

Quote:
*shrug*

Lots of flashy disswords without a trace of justification. Especially in conjunction with KGNE, which I consider particularly excellent in the case of character building and logical, gradual development. And when it came to pacing, if you skim the usual review sites, the lack of drama or impact was not among the common criticisms. Again, more power to you, but after reading your verdict on KGNE, I can't help myself but to realize that your taste in anime is even more alien to me than before.
It really wasn't the lack of drama and/or impact that made KGNE a poor anime to me. And while I would justify my opinion about the show, this *is* a SP discussion, you know? Besides, people who poorly review the series on review sites can elaborate far better than I ever could. If you read some of the lower ratings, they'll probably say something along the lines of how I feel. Aside from that, I'll just leave it as different strokes for different folks. I guess H-game to anime translations aren't my thing. Well, at least ones that focus primarily on characters anyways.

Quote:
So what remains to me to chuckle at (excuse me) this heated and extremely long exchange between two people of which both seem to thoroughly dislike the show, and out of which one hasn't even really watched it. Wow

In the meantime, there's the exit, girls. Why don't you go watch something "good" instead?
Haha, you want to know what's strange? I'm still hoping for the ending I desire. That's really the only main reason I'm sticking through it. It's a slim to none chance, but seeing as I've stuck through this series through thick and thin, I might as well finish it. In the end, should my character win, it'll upgrade itself from "crap anime" to "crap anime w/ending I liked." And who can't resist to see what the writers will pull out of their asses next? The amnesia thing was golden!*laughs* Plus, I have a very single track mind when it comes to anime, so I'll continue to focus on just one show, regardless if it's crap or not. Unless it's just plain atrocious, which I admit Strawberry Panic isn't.

Long story short, I'm not leaving until the very last frame of the very last episode is played out. ^_- While what I say isn't exactly cooperative w/other fans here, it's not anything against the rules either(last I checked), so yeah. Bare w/it for just 2 more weeks =)
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 08:47   Link #1438
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
Did anyone else notice the flower that Shizuma kept watering? I think that flower repersents her and Nagisa. any thoughts?
Or maybe because Nagisa believes on that flower that's why Shizuma wants to believe on it too.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 09:15   Link #1439
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Just one little remark:

It's hard for me to remember a show which had so many people complain and whine about it, yet at the same time come back for more, discussing it over and over again. ^_^

As a little thought, a translated remark from a famous German critic of literature: "A good book is a book which doesn't bore me."

Indeed.
Oh it seems like only yesterday we had things like this happening with Mai HiME (and similarly Mai Otome) *sigh* Hopefully things will simmer down soon.
Old 2006-09-15, 15:15   Link #1440
warpshadow
wisest of generals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli
Oh it seems like only yesterday we had things like this happening with Mai HiME (and similarly Mai Otome) *sigh* Hopefully things will simmer down soon.
Now back to our regularly scheduled Shizuma vs Tamao flamewar.

Honestly I have a feeling that this anime was created prematurely. Usually a manga adaptation waits for the manga to get to at least the volume 6 or so mark before making a 26 episode show.
warpshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, seinen, yuri