AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-04-28, 15:54   Link #1421
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
They kind of got the bangs wrong though they're much more... Err... Voluminous than they are in Takeuchi's style... They're actually just as weird, anatomically (proportionally) as the broken legs. I also like them in her style, which is probably why it sticks out to me how wrong they look. It makes me think of that movie, Hairspray... In a bad way xD
Don't get me wrong, I didn't say they look EXACTLY like the manga. I just personally think they capture the essence of that design decently enough (compared to the 90s anime designs). Though I wouldn't want them to look exactly like the manga -- it wouldn't translate well to animation, imo.

I do agree that they have too much volume, however. Usagi and Ami have the worst of it. The puffiness of their hair makes their heads look even bigger. =/
Old 2014-04-28, 16:45   Link #1422
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
do you mean mars accidentally using jupiter's skills ?
Actually, I was referring to Negi Springfield, not Mikoto Misaka.

As for the reason, let's just say it's a spoiler for those who haven't read Negima.
Old 2014-04-28, 16:51   Link #1423
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The interview says she always wanted to play Mars as a kid but was always made to play Jupiter because of her height. Now she can play Mars for real.
Old 2014-04-28, 16:58   Link #1424
DMurphy

That makes me feel weirdly happy.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
Old 2014-04-28, 20:09   Link #1425
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Uh.... yeah....

I really don't know what to think. On one hand... MORE SAILOR MOON!

On the other hand... uh... not sure what to think about those designs. I really hope that they look better in motion. They DO look more like the manga designs than the original anime's designs did, but... there's something very "off" about them.

I can't even look at the Japanese website. Whatever they have in the background is killing my speed. I can barely scroll. Looking at the high-res pic someone posted above comparing Moon, Venus, and Mars (the latter two being my two favorite Inners), I am kinda disappointed in how they look. I was, as someone else said, kinda expecting better than this for 2014 and for the anniversary reboot of one of the greatest series of all time.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2014-04-28, 20:41   Link #1426
GDB

So, my two favorites were Venus and Mars, and now their new VAs are also my two favorite VAs of the cast (also in said order). Interesting.
Old 2014-04-28, 21:29   Link #1427
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The interview says she always wanted to play Mars as a kid but was always made to play Jupiter because of her height. Now she can play Mars for real.
Not that I don't think Rina Satou or Ami Koshimizu will be great as Mars and Jupiter respectively, because I'm sure they will, but if someone had asked me which Senshi I would want them to play, I'd probably switch them .

I'm quite surprised that, with the recasting of the other Senshi with younger seiyuu, Kotono Mitsuishi will still be playing Usagi. It'll be very interesting to see her performance, and how it'll shape up now that she's being paired up with a much younger generation. Still, it's nice to have her back as Sailor Moon .

I read somewhere that Tohru Furuya was at the event, and considering Kotono Mitsuishi is still Usagi, I'd be shocked if he wasn't kept as Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask as well .

As for the designs... I actually like them so far, even though they're quite different from what I'm used to with Sailor Moon. I think I'll have to see them with animation before I make any final judgements, though this being Toei, that might not help very much .
Old 2014-04-29, 01:29   Link #1428
elior

since in one of the anoucements they said they work on the music of the black moon arc i think it will be split cour after the first season will end
Old 2014-04-29, 15:21   Link #1429
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Oh god, what have they done to Mars' legs? They were her best feature in the original anime, now they look like matchsticks. Yes, I know it's because the designs are closer to the manga, but I don't like the manga art in the first place, so...
There's always fanart, and this particular artist seems to share your sense of aesthetics:

Images
This artist seriously should get to illustrate an "ending card" for the series
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Could anyone explain to me why Aya Hisakawa and Emi Shinohara didn't get to reprise their roles in this remake? To my knowledge, neither have retired and are still at it, so I have no idea why they were snubbed for the remake.

Speaking of the new roles, I wonder if they'll make "seiyuu jokes," like mentioning how Sailor Mercury hates to eat squid (which would be funny since her new seiyuu, Hisako Kanemoto, played "Squid Girl" in that eponymous series). We could even go see Sailor Jupiter fighting like Kallen from Code Geass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Okay, anyone else finding Rino Satou as Sailor Mars hilarious in hindsight given one her better known roles?
I'm frankly surprised she wasn't cast as Sailor Jupiter, given her fame as Misaka Mikoto in To Aru Majutsu no Index (another famous, more modern Electrokineticist). JC Staff made a similar joke when they cast the original seiyuu for Sailor Jupiter, Emi Shinohara, as Misuzu Misaka (Mikoto Misaka's mother) in an episode of To Aru Majutsu no Index, which was funny because she played Sailor Jupiter originally, and now plays the mother of a more modern Electrokineticist/Electricity User. You can see the joke outlined here:

Images
My Mother Can't Be This Sailor Jupiter!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Noo! Hisaka Youko wasn't casted as Mars. Was my biggest hope actually. :'(
I bet if someone checked the records, I'm sure we could see some pretty surprising names among the list of those who auditioned for the Sailor Senshi. I would have liked to have seen which of the Sailor Senshi that big names like Nana Mizuki and Houko Kuwashima (both of whom played major characters in Precure) would have been cast in. Or even other famous female seiyuus like Kaori Nazuka, Chiwa Saitou, Yui Horie, Misato Fukuen, Minako Kotobuki, Ayahi Takagahi, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I read somewhere that Tohru Furuya was at the event, and considering Kotono Mitsuishi is still Usagi, I'd be shocked if he wasn't kept as Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask as well .
I do hope that Tohru Furuya reprises his role as Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask for this series. He's happily done lines as that character in a number of appearances in conventions located in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Can't stop fan-gasming with Itou as Venus though!
I'm a fan of Itou-san myself, but the funny thing is, according to the subtitles I've seen for the "cast message" video, she says that she sees Sailor Venus as a "firmly reliable" girl. Those of us who have seen the original show know that there are episodes where her ditziness and clumsiness come to the fore (such as the one where she tried and failed spectacularly to nurse the other Senshi back to health during a strange disease outbreak), and that she has a lot of times when she's bubbly and airheaded.

Shizuka Itou in the video said that she would draw upon her previous experience to portray Sailor Venus. She's had experience playing air-headed characters before, such as Haruka Morishima from Amagami or Koko Hekmatyar from Jormungand (the latter is only pretending to be air-headed, but it's convincing enough). I don't recall her ever playing a magical-girl type character before, though.

I also wonder who they've got lined up for Chibi Usa (if they get that far in the story). Rie Kugimiya (who recently starred in Toei's DokiDoki Precure) is the obvious shoo-in, but I would like to see how others like Rina Hidaka or Aoi Yuuki (who also played one of the most famous pink-haired magical girls in recent memory) would sound like in that role.
Old 2014-04-29, 15:26   Link #1430
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If they kept the new series going through the various arcs and thus have the characters age a little over time, their legs might develop a bit by the time they get to the equivalent of Stars.
Old 2014-04-29, 16:28   Link #1431
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I'm a fan of Itou-san myself, but the funny thing is, according to the subtitles I've seen for the "cast message" video, she says that she sees Sailor Venus as a "firmly reliable" girl. Those of us who have seen the original show know that there are episodes where her ditziness and clumsiness come to the fore (such as the one where she tried and failed spectacularly to nurse the other Senshi back to health during a strange disease outbreak), and that she has a lot of times when she's bubbly and airheaded.
Actually she said that because she isn't an airhead in the manga she read.
Old 2014-04-29, 16:54   Link #1432
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The anime made Venus more and more of a ditz as it went on. Becoming a even more boy crazy and air-headed version of Usagi who was fairly air-headed but not as boy crazy due to her usual focus on Mamoru.

It was fun though as the clips of Venus being a ditz are quite amusing.
Old 2014-04-29, 17:04   Link #1433
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

The manga also makes her somewhat more of a ditz as time passes, which I personally didn't like. Particularly in her exam battle chapter. Sure, someone had to fill the spot, as Usagi matured, but I liked the firmly reliable, badass Venus more than the silly one.
But it's nowhere as bad as in the anime, where they just made her really silly.
There was also a hint of two in the first arc though, when she went around scratching Amis floor xD
Old 2014-04-29, 17:07   Link #1434
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
This.

There is nothing wrong with having some slips but manga Venus isn't an airhead all the freaking day.
Old 2014-04-29, 17:24   Link #1435
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
This.

There is nothing wrong with having some slips but manga Venus isn't an airhead all the freaking day.
Yeah, then manga has a good balance- just noticed that I unintentionally made it sound as if I thought the manga went overboard too. There are just a few things here and there and they're actually funny and don't take away from her competence.
Old 2014-04-29, 17:52   Link #1436
T-6000

Quote:
The manga also makes her somewhat more of a ditz as time passes, which I personally didn't like. Particularly in her exam battle chapter. Sure, someone had to fill the spot, as Usagi matured, but I liked the firmly reliable, badass Venus more than the silly one.
There was also a hint of two in the first arc though, when she went around scratching Amis floor xD
I kinda noticed that too. In the Codename Sailor V series she was almost a carbon copy of Usagi in the early years. But in the first few story arcs of Sailor Moon she was more serious and focused. But by the time Super S and Stars came around she went back to her old self a bit (though not all that much). But even in Super S and Stars, when she was serious she could give you a look that could split logs in half. Overall I preferred this Minako to the Anime version.
Old 2014-04-29, 18:27   Link #1437
elior

sailor moon going to be 26 episodes 30 minutes each episode. here the link for this information http://24.media.tumblr.com/95f862b77...yh7o1_1280.jpg
Old 2014-04-29, 18:33   Link #1438
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So that would be a year long run then.
Old 2014-04-29, 18:55   Link #1439
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
In replying to someone in a PM just now, I figured out what seems "off" about the images.

They, to me, look like graphics from a mid-late 90s-era visual novel, eroge or otherwise.

Anyone else see them that way?

Oh, and, as for the Minako/Venus discussion... definitely prefer the manga version. That's why she's my favorite character, far and away.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2014-04-29, 19:10   Link #1440
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
In replying to someone in a PM just now, I figured out what seems "off" about the images.

They, to me, look like graphics from a mid-late 90s-era visual novel, eroge or otherwise.
That's because the production team probably wanted to keep to the original manga style as much as possible, and SM manga was released in the early-mid 90s (if I recall correctly). So the character designs shouldn't be judged based on modern day anime character designs.

As for the disproportionately long, skinny legs of the characters: if you've read the manga, then the design by Takeuchi is pretty much like that. So it's not really poor anime character design on the part of the animation team but that they pretty much follow what is the original manga designs. It would be nice if they updated the character designs but then SM purists would probably be screaming bloody murder if they did.

I'm waiting to see the actual animation before I really decide whether I love or hate the character's design. I find most character proposal pics likes these to never properly reflect what will eventually be animated.

This will be the first time I'm watching SM in it's original Japanese dub; first time I saw SM it was on Western TV in English dub. Although I liked it back then, Usagi's high pitch/shrilly ditzy screams in the English dub seriously annoyed me. I hope they will tone down on the ditziness because the manga version had the characters as more mature, serious, and more capable. I was disappointed that the original anime made them into idiotic airheads too many times.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo