Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-03, 09:22   Link #14641
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata-chan View Post
Yeah, it's pretty outdated, though I'm glad that my rooks and one bishop all made Elite 8 status. Only one king made it to Elite 8, and the other king and queens were all eliminated. Now that's one weird game of chess!

Didn't catch the White Devil being the Black Queen! lol, my bad. ^_^
Not to mention the Knight's Pawn that made it all the way to the last rank and got Queened!

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2007-12-03, 20:34   Link #14642
ando

I sometimes consider Saimoe, Best Moe, or other Moe tournaments as the Grand Slam Tennis tournaments; Wimbledon, Roland Garros, U.S. Open, Australian Open.
Old 2007-12-03, 21:07   Link #14643
OverFunk
It will never be the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
I sometimes consider Saimoe, Best Moe, or other Moe tournaments as the Grand Slam Tennis tournaments; Wimbledon, Roland Garros, U.S. Open, Australian Open.
Thank god there isn't a moe Federer. It may be fun in Tennis, but it'd be boring in moe tournament.

Never forget
Old 2007-12-03, 21:50   Link #14644
ando

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
Thank god there isn't a moe Federer. It may be fun in Tennis, but it'd be boring in moe tournament.
Lol, moe Federer. Someone should draw the picture of Federer in Maid costume with Raising Heart.
Old 2007-12-03, 21:53   Link #14645
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

Let's see... I see SaiMoe as the Wimbledon, Korean Best Moe as the French Open (total opposite of the SaiMoe in terms of voting preferences(?)) and Super Best Moe as the Masters Cup. Australian Open and US Open is still lacking

Last year, IMO a seeded player won SaiMoe (Suiseiseki), this time I believe an unseeded player won (really, who expected Rika to win in the beginning?)
Old 2007-12-04, 13:56   Link #14646
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustra View Post
Let's see... I see SaiMoe as the Wimbledon, Korean Best Moe as the French Open (total opposite of the SaiMoe in terms of voting preferences(?)) and Super Best Moe as the Masters Cup. Australian Open and US Open is still lacking

Last year, IMO a seeded player won SaiMoe (Suiseiseki), this time I believe an unseeded player won (really, who expected Rika to win in the beginning?)
I have posted your posts on Korean Best Moe Forum and all have said that these analogies are very appropriate. Good Thinking!
Old 2007-12-05, 11:47   Link #14647
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Okay, I'm going to owe you guys big time here. I've been holding off the KSBM Review for a while, and I don't think I will be able to do them at all. Lately, I've been working on Villa of Jade and Crimson Connections (why do I keep changing the title names?), but more importantly, I've been overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do to pick up my grades, especially with final exams right around the corner. So, no, you probably won't see Shana's post interview like I had promised and hoped.

As for my two fanfics, I kind of have been wanting to hold those off for a moment too: 2006's Villa of Jade is waiting for Eundong to post the 2006 archives for Korea, since I want to do Korea first before we head to Japan and end it with Suisei & Sousei vs. Fate & Nanoha. 2007, I might do before or after 2008, but since I am partly using 2006 to lead into 2007's story, I may want to do the same in the case I want to do a 2008 story as well, and that will all depend on how the returning characters do as well.

Speaking of which, my time will probably be filled with free time slots to watch... you guessed it... anime. I just realized that it will be hard to do 2006's story with emphasis on Rozen Maiden without having ever watched Rozen Maiden, so I'm going to have to start on that first, along with the Nanoha series (at least up to A's), Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu and School Rumble, along with other series that I may need along the road, such as Hayate no Gotoku, which I will need to do eventually. (And yes, Shuffle! and Mai-Hime hold top priority, since they have already been downloaded but not watched.) This fanfic may take a while to develop, but chances are I will be able to release episodes by episodes to the public probably in the Spring.

And just to let you know, a good thing about storywriting is that you don't have to write the story arcs in order. The following story arc is the arc that has so far been the most developed (or most jumbled, I don't know).

WARNING: THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION

Spoiler for Shana vs. Sugintou:

And I won't go any further, since I believe that's 2-4 episodes of content right there. Basically, as it stands right now, this is the beginning of the climax of the 2007 story. On top of Suiseiseki's problems, which could have been dealt with that very night, Shana also faces accusations of cheating, which puts the Fate vs. Yuki match on hold and therefore causing tension all over Korea. And when that's resolved, there's a love confession somewhere in this story, which leads to Suiseiseki bombing the match with Maria, and everything goes haywire and ... oh yeah, it's up to 2007 Korea champion Hinagiku to fix every blasted relationship problem here.

Well, you get the picture. The bottom line is, if the 2006 Korea archives don't go up soon, we may never get to this part.
Old 2007-12-05, 13:22   Link #14648
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Unwritten rule 1: RL takes priority.

Unwritten rule 2: Don't create 'doujin' material (this includes fanfics) until you're familiar with the original material.

So yeah, it's correct for you to focus on your grades and then on anime. We don't need a "Marisa saying 'Ore'" ruining your work (see link for an explanatory note somewhere).

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2007-12-05, 13:24   Link #14649
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

I like how it is going... but Suigintou isn't THAT sly. There is no reason for her to not tell Suiseiseki that she doesn't have Souseiseki's Roza Mystica anymore (at least I believe that is a little bit OOC). Of course, I guess you'll just have to watch RM and Nanoha in order to get the characters correct.

Don't worry about the interview. We are all busy. Personally that edit you requested for that teaser poster will have to wait too. I have been busy, so I kind of have been inactive in the forum lately. >_<
Old 2007-12-05, 18:08   Link #14650
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye View Post
Unwritten rule 2: Don't create 'doujin' material (this includes fanfics) until you're familiar with the original material.
It's a DRAFT. It's supposed to be way off. And yeah, I do plan to watch every single anime of the characters I'm using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellDemon View Post
I like how it is going... but Suigintou isn't THAT sly. There is no reason for her to not tell Suiseiseki that she doesn't have Souseiseki's Roza Mystica anymore (at least I believe that is a little bit OOC). Of course, I guess you'll just have to watch RM and Nanoha in order to get the characters correct.
Exactly. I may exactly have a list ready. Assuming I get to the three I promised my suggestion thread (and that includes Haruhi):

Step 1: Watch Rozen Maiden
Step 2: Watch Nanoha
Step 3: Watch School Rumble
Step 4: Get the basic plot ready.
Step 5: Study Suiseiseki's and other key characters' matches and decide which to focus on
Step 6: Watch the anime of opponent's character.

That should do the trick.

And yeah, just to let you know, I've seen a handful of episodes for Rozen Maiden... those with emphasis on desu-chan, of course.

Last edited by minhtam1638; 2007-12-05 at 18:18.
Old 2007-12-06, 01:55   Link #14651
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Quote:
It's a DRAFT. It's supposed to be way off. And yeah, I do plan to watch every single anime of the characters I'm using.
I stated that before I even read your draft. I don't know how off it is, but 'unwritten rules' are meant to be rules of thumb anyway - can't go wrong stating them as they're there as reminders, not absolute enforcements.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2007-12-06, 06:35   Link #14652
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
The draft is not so good, you need to finish watching the related animes first imo.
It's nice you already have them listed for watching.

EDIT: Seems like this thread is finally coming to rest.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2007-12-10 at 11:09.
Old 2007-12-17, 02:33   Link #14653
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

So I was waiting for some anime to finish uploading while studying for final exams, and I kind of got bored, so I came up with this. If you have the Splendid City Scheduler program, please take a look at it. If not, I don't know if this file will be viewable for you.

Basically, it's just a schedule for an International Moe League I was thinking of having. 64 girls compete against each other, and all of them will face each other at least once. A contestant must have placed in the top 16 in either Korea 2006/2007 or Japan 2006/2007. Due to many overlaps, 17 slots are open for fans to nominate any girl (and I mean any girl) to enter this prestigious competion, and they will be entered into the schedule depending on how they end up in the fan-polls. (Could have been 18, had Mai not placed in the top 16 in the Super Moe tourney)

I tried to set the schedule up so that some prestigious battles took place on Thursdays and Saturdays, with Hinagiku vs. Shana in the Jan 31 opener and a double-header in the finale. Also went with the halftime hoopla, purposely pitting the S.O.S Brigade against the Kugimiya Trifecta on March 1.
Old 2007-12-17, 14:16   Link #14654
wontaek

Quote:
So I was waiting for some anime to finish uploading while studying for final exams, and I kind of got bored, so I came up with this. If you have the Splendid City Scheduler program, please take a look at it. If not, I don't know if this file will be viewable for you.

Basically, it's just a schedule for an International Moe League I was thinking of having. 64 girls compete against each other, and all of them will face each other at least once. A contestant must have placed in the top 16 in either Korea 2006/2007 or Japan 2006/2007. Due to many overlaps, 17 slots are open for fans to nominate any girl (and I mean any girl) to enter this prestigious competion, and they will be entered into the schedule depending on how they end up in the fan-polls. (Could have been 18, had Mai not placed in the top 16 in the Super Moe tourney)

I tried to set the schedule up so that some prestigious battles took place on Thursdays and Saturdays, with Hinagiku vs. Shana in the Jan 31 opener and a double-header in the finale. Also went with the halftime hoopla, purposely pitting the S.O.S Brigade against the Kugimiya Trifecta on March 1.
So at what website will you run this tournament and how?
Old 2007-12-17, 16:06   Link #14655
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
So at what website will you run this tournament and how?
Who said I was actually going to do it? I got a fanfic to work on, and I don't have the money or resources to pull this kind of thing off. But if everyone is interested and might want to help me out, I might try to look into it. We'll see.

Obviously if we're going to do something like this, I can't use my Tripod website, so the first step is to find a secure server, then it's all on advertising and such, and since I used "international", I need loads of web pages of translations. We'll see if something like this will actually exist, but don't count on it (If it does, it may be pushed back 4 weeks).

Of course, I can always ask Eundong to help (not likely), but who knows?
Old 2007-12-18, 08:43   Link #14656
Psieye
Lore Hunter

No, your first contact should be todkapuz - ask him about the webspace reserved for Saimoe Arena tests (which never got used). Then contact melange and ask him to forward what technical advice we got about running these tournaments, and also ask him to connect you with TSO for further techical advice (assuming you have the expertise to do the sys admin job of the tournament yourself).

That is, assuming you're serious about this. And if you are, for the sake of sanity please have the site produce automated output for matches - comma separated lists for easy manipulation and analysis.

Old 2007-12-18, 19:28   Link #14657
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
No, your first contact should be todkapuz - ask him about the webspace reserved for Saimoe Arena tests (which never got used). Then contact melange and ask him to forward what technical advice we got about running these tournaments, and also ask him to connect you with TSO for further techical advice (assuming you have the expertise to do the sys admin job of the tournament yourself).

That is, assuming you're serious about this. And if you are, for the sake of sanity please have the site produce automated output for matches - comma separated lists for easy manipulation and analysis.
Hmm... well, I am a Computer Engineering major (undergraduate at the moment), so it shouldn't be too hard. My concern is if I can access that webspace from multiple computers, since I would most likely be home rather than college for these tourneys. Also within concern is availability, since I am a Roman Catholic and will be reserved during the Easter Weekend (sort of). We may see a lot of match days rescheduled in the case that I know that I'm not available. Of course, this problem can be minimized if I hired others to be moderators with access to that webspace and tack on votes.

We'll see if I get this up and running or not. Who knows how this will work?
Old 2007-12-20, 00:36   Link #14658
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Alright, I can't hold anticipation any longer. I'll give the IML a shot. I've sent a message to todkapuz, and I hope to get a response back. But I'm going to need a lot of help in running this, so if anybody's interested, you're all willing to help me out. Hopefully I'll get a website for this going in time so that we can actually nominate some moe characters for the 17 open slots without pressure.

If interest in this picks up by a lot before January 24, I will have to create a new thread, since it would be no longer 2007. However, interest must be high.

Here are the list of participants that are automatically eligible for the International League.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yutsuu (5)
  • Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Yuki Nagato
  • Mikuru Asahina
  • Tsuruya
  • Kyon's Sister

Hayate no Gotoku (4)
  • Hinagiku Katsura
  • Nagi Sanzenin
  • Maria
  • Ayumu Nishizawa

Negima?! (4)
  • Konoka Konoe
  • Nodoka Miyazaki
  • Evangeline A.K. McDowell
  • Yue Ayase

Rozen Maiden (4)
  • Suiseiseki
  • Shinku
  • Sugintou
  • Souseiseki

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (3)
  • Rika Furude
  • Rena Ryuguu
  • Mion Sonozaki

Lucky Star (3)
  • Konata Izumi
  • Kagami Hiiragi
  • Tsukasa Hiiragi

Kanon (3)
  • Nayuki Minase
  • Sayuri Kurata
  • Mai Kawasumi

Nanoha A's/StrikerS (3)
  • Nanoha Takamichi
  • Fate Testarossa
  • Vita

Utawarerumono (3)
  • Aruruu
  • Eruruu
  • Touka

Fate/Stay Night (2)
  • Rin Tousaka
  • Sakura Matou

Strawberry Panic (2)
  • Chikaru Minamoto
  • Tamao Suzumi

To Heart (2)
  • Tamaki Kousaka
  • Konomi Yuzuhara

ARIA (1)
  • Alice Carroll

Code Geass (1)
  • C.C.

Full Metal Panic (1)
  • Teletha Testarossa

Hidamari Sketch (1)
  • Yuno

Kamichu (1)
  • Yurie Hitotsubashi

School Rumble (1)
  • Eri Sawachika

Shakugan no Shana (1)
  • Shana

Tsubasa Chronicle (1)
  • Sakura

Zero no Tsukaima (1)
  • Louise Francoise

17 slots open for nomination

Last edited by minhtam1638; 2007-12-20 at 15:54.
Old 2007-12-20, 03:50   Link #14659
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Ah~ Another plan has cracked under anticipation and happened~ For everyone's sanity, please have the site produce optional comma separated output (of everything relevant to the match - date, show, etc) for easier data-input elsewhere. Especially mine - I need to write scripts to do the wiki formatting for me instead of manually typing everything in after some crude copy/paste.

Btw, Touka? Shouldn't she be under Utawarerumono, not Suzumiya Haruhi? And define just how far 'any girl' can be - I presume the minimal requirement is "must be in anime, manga or light novel of any year". Will you also allow game characters (ren'ai charas, Touhou charas) provided there exists sufficient support material to have a good campaign?

Old 2007-12-20, 11:36   Link #14660
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Ah~ Another plan has cracked under anticipation and happened~ For everyone's sanity, please have the site produce optional comma separated output (of everything relevant to the match - date, show, etc) for easier data-input elsewhere. Especially mine - I need to write scripts to do the wiki formatting for me instead of manually typing everything in after some crude copy/paste.
I may need an explanation of comma separated output. I have an inkling I know what that means, but I can't be too sure.

Quote:
Btw, Touka? Shouldn't she be under Utawarerumono, not Suzumiya Haruhi? And define just how far 'any girl' can be - I presume the minimal requirement is "must be in anime, manga or light novel of any year". Will you also allow game characters (ren'ai charas, Touhou charas) provided there exists sufficient support material to have a good campaign?
Touka... oh, you're right. Altered the list. So far, the 'any girl' nominations are limited to anime only, since all moe tournaments (at least to my knowledge) have been anime only. It's an all-time nomination, so just about any anime from any year counts, including anime that has aired after July 2007. I have inklings as to who will win some slots: 2002 champion Sakura Kinamoto (still debating whether to keep Cardcaptor Sakura and Tsubasa Chronicle seperate) and Saber, the only China top 8 finisher not on the proposed list, are possible ones. And I believe Ayu has been nipped of this list as well, so she might get in. Not to mention possible characters from CLANNAD have caught my attention.

As far as other things go:

The schedule I have provided earlier has been altered. If I had not altered it at all (and the first schedule was altered), many girls would have faced Suiseiseki and Shana in back-to-back days, so I had to change it a bit. Some more big name matchups - in my opinion - have been detected and moved to Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. (I've tried to put all the boring ones on Mondays just to relieve myself)

If I have this league next year, eligibility will be as follows:
  • At the end of this season, the top 16 will be seeded and run for a championship. Undecided whether it will be single or double elimination.
  • The top 32 will return for next year. Any girl under that point will have to make either top 16 in Japan or Korea or be nominated in order to return.
  • The final 32 spots will be determined by the top 16 finishers in Japan and Korea. Any overlapping slots (as if Shana isn't going to finish in the top 16) will be given to the fans for nomination.

If America and or China produces a successful moe tournament with sufficient international participation, I will include those tournaments and may limit it to top 8.

Last edited by minhtam1638; 2007-12-20 at 11:47.
Closed Thread