AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2016-08-05, 23:50   Link #1501
HirouKeimou

Placing my reply here because it's not music-related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Just like Frontier copied it's predecessors. It's a tribute kind of thing.
You know, it copied a little from AKB0048 on an idol-based singer group, and even its style of music is similar to it.

Frontier did copy a number of things from its predecessors, however, it did so respectfully. After all, I liked it's choices for the war, and even if people disagree, I do still like the Vajra for an enemy. Delta is directly copying from Frontier itself (by which I mean its new aspects).

Even if Michael replaced Roy for dying, Messar replaced Michael (minus emotional childhood friend), and of all three, Michael is my favorite (I liked him ). An equally disturbing element is used in Freyja, who despite looking like Ranka (younger, including rising hair in scenes), her personality is a cross between Minmei, Misa, and Sheryl. And Mikumo is replacing Sheryl on encouraging Freyja in singing (even if not as mature). Then, of course, Keith is similar in the series right now to Brera in his rivalry with both Messar and Hayate. Plus, Hayate resembled Alto in the first 2 episodes for his standoffish attitude towards Freyja (very similar to his disregard to Ranka); however, once he is called into action, he does become a likeable character by doing his best to ensure Freyja is safe (even helps her up when she trips). His character doesn't evolve from this Alto-esque attitude until he witnesses Freyja running into battle in order to sing alongside Walkure and of course he is shot down and experiences a panic attack. From then on, until Messar died, he obtained this "carefree" nature like Isamu. And I believe Roid is like Mishima in his plans for domination so far (Gramia only desired independence from NUNS and Roid is... going so much further).

It's not that Delta doesn't do all things right like this, I only like areas of copying in Frontier where its growing on the original idea/aspect and creating a new idea all its own.

I guess my point is that Kawamori is sadistic like this; he loves copying aspects from his prior installments and changing little bits and pieces like he thinks we'll never notice it.
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 03:11   Link #1502
Thess

Ehh, I never saw Hayate remotely acting like Alto. Alto knew what he wanted (the blue sky) and was frustrated he couldn't get it, then was still haunted by his playact and his feminine looks. While Hayate wasn't aware what he wanted and drifted around in places looking for a reason to live. They are fundamentally too different. Alto was serious and sour, Hayate was carefree and teasing. They couldn't be more different, personality wise, IMO.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 03:37   Link #1503
HirouKeimou

I'm referring to how Hayate is portrayed and introduced in the first episode, Thess. He comes off as lazy and standoffish like Alto is described by his friends earlier on. Of course, this is why I didn't go into Delta liking it at first (because Hayate did a 360 in episode 2 with his carefree nature showing off). It's a little off how episode 2 is a 360 of Hayate and Freyja is consistent LOL
Old 2016-08-06, 05:51   Link #1504
Gravitas Free Zone

Small practical note, the number of degrees you want there is 180, not 360.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 10:13   Link #1505
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
I'm referring to how Hayate is portrayed and introduced in the first episode, Thess. He comes off as lazy and standoffish like Alto is described by his friends earlier on. Of course, this is why I didn't go into Delta liking it at first (because Hayate did a 360 in episode 2 with his carefree nature showing off). It's a little off how episode 2 is a 360 of Hayate and Freyja is consistent LOL
Uh wasn't ep 1 whew Hayate - upon hearing he was fired - put on a show with the lifting mech? That's pretty much tells me that Hayate is a carefree guy.
Old 2016-08-06, 10:21   Link #1506
CriiGV
Junbi wa inka ne?

It's not that he was carefree, it was more that he had no sense of direction on what he wanted to do and was just "whatever, who cares, I don't give a damn" about things. There's a difference in being carefree and not giving a damn. It's kind of similar but not quite.
CriiGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 11:52   Link #1507
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
I can't picture Alto as lazy. Even in the first episode. He seemed rather stiff and serious, plus temperamental.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2016-08-06, 12:03   Link #1508
HirouKeimou

Quote:
I can't picture Alto as lazy. Even in the first episode. He seemed rather stiff and serious, plus temperamental.
And Hayate readying to yell at Freyja twice for saying his way of living is foolish isn't "temperamental..." Also, don't forget when he's talking about looking around for something he'd like, he is very serious throughout this entire speech and borderline brooding before Freyja tells him he's an idiot (in her nice way LOL). It's the traits he has which blended him with Alto for me in the first episode, from episode 2 on, I liked his difference from Alto; but it's still a jarring shift from episode 1 to 2. After all, even if he dances in episode 1, he is hardly looking like the "carefree" person we come to see for episode 2 onward, he doesn't even smile.
Old 2016-08-06, 20:33   Link #1509
Magewolf

Delta strikes me as being a blending of all the shows that came before it with a bit of extra idol group added. It seems to have mostly pulled from 7 and Frontier so far but now it looks like a fair bit of Zero is coming up.

If Mikumo is not some kind of Protoculture construct I do not know what she could be. Actually I think the show really hangs on how well it handles her arc since the Windermerians are very weak villains. They need to use her backstory to tie everything together and make a strong ending.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 01:53   Link #1510
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Hey peeps...

Which manga written right now gives more additional backstory to the Delta anime?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 09:05   Link #1511
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Ehh, I never saw Hayate remotely acting like Alto. Alto knew what he wanted (the blue sky) and was frustrated he couldn't get it, then was still haunted by his playact and his feminine looks. While Hayate wasn't aware what he wanted and drifted around in places looking for a reason to live. They are fundamentally too different. Alto was serious and sour, Hayate was carefree and teasing. They couldn't be more different, personality wise, IMO.
I don't know. Alto made me think of a guy looking for a niche, looking for a place to belong, and struggling to fit in for various reasons. It's true that he wanted open blue skies, but aside from that, he struck me as a loner really trying to find his place in the universe.

I should add that I mostly liked this about Alto, and I think it added some to Frontier's romances (as they became answers for Alto in a broader way, becoming a big part of his desired niche). Alto never struck me as lazy, but he did seem very restless to me at times.

Hayate started out the same way, but he found a niche pretty quickly. Hayate also doesn't give me the same very independent loner vibe that Alto did. I think Hayate really likes being part of a team, and has slipped in really smoothly into Delta Squadron as a whole. Granted, some of this is the comfy family feeling of the group in general.
Old 2016-08-07, 09:44   Link #1512
magnuskn

Alto definitely was looking for a place to belong, yet he had a purpose from the beginning. He had the good luck of finding that place right from the start (he was with SMS as soon as episode four) and he wanted to get there, contrary to Hayate who had to cajoled to even join Delta and even then was all "But I'm gonna do what I want!".

Alto mostly went with the program and listened to his instructors, although he also had a few moments when he did what he thought was right, contrary to his orders.

Alto had a much more compelling narrative to him from the beginning of the show. Hayate now has a chance to catch up, with the story about his father, but we'll have to see how far that goes. When Frontier ended, Alto had completed several character arcs.
Old 2016-08-07, 16:25   Link #1513
Thess

Mmm, I think Alto already belonged to a place but didn't acknowledge it. He didn't realize how important Frontier (and his home) was to him. It's like he didn't learn to put value in what he had, was estranged with it because he perceived it as wrongly stifling but Sheryl helped him make peace with it. Both Frontier and his family, in the tv series, that is. Because Sheryl is a person who lost her home, Galaxy (as far as she knew) and lost her home as a child too when her parents were murdered. She longed for a home (and by the way, Diamond Crevasse, thank you Frontier vibe is all about this gratitude). In other words, Alto didn't know what he had until he met someone who was lacking about it and got him to think and change. Ranka might have lost her family but she had a home with Ozma.

Hayate had no attachments or a 'home' until he went to Ragna I think. He only stops by with his mother once every year or so. It's not because of anger or estranged issues but he lack of perception what home is like for his drifter family lifestyle.

I like both arcs, to be honest. I think Alto's a little more original, though.

Old 2016-08-07, 16:42   Link #1514
magnuskn

Actually, that was a far better summation of Altos condition than I did (although I meant about the same).
Old 2016-08-07, 18:04   Link #1515
Ura-dora

Quote:
Mmm, I think Alto already belonged to a place but didn't acknowledge it. He didn't realize how important Frontier (and his home) was to him. It's like he didn't learn to put value in what he had, was estranged with it because he perceived it as wrongly stifling but Sheryl helped him make peace with it. Both Frontier and his family, in the tv series, that is. Because Sheryl is a person who lost her home, Galaxy (as far as she knew) and lost her home as a child too when her parents were murdered. She longed for a home (and by the way, Diamond Crevasse, thank you Frontier vibe is all about this gratitude). In other words, Alto didn't know what he had until he met someone who was lacking about it and got him to think and change. Ranka might have lost her family but she had a home with Ozma.

Hayate had no attachments or a 'home' until he went to Ragna I think. He only stops by with his mother once every year or so. It's not because of anger or estranged issues but he lack of perception what home is like for his drifter family lifestyle.

I like both arcs, to be honest. I think Alto's a little more original, though.
Interestingly, this isn't the case with Hayate. A similar and deeper arc on this topic will happen between Freyja and Mikumo, who share this homelessness. Both girls are hiding their isolation. Freyja with a smile, and Mikumo with a smirk. At the end of the day I get the feeling that Freyja and Mikumo's arcs collide more than the anime is letting on. The whole HayaFre things seems like an illusion or distraction, and Mirage will push us towards that reality.
Ura-dora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 19:20   Link #1516
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ura-dora View Post
Interestingly, this isn't the case with Hayate. A similar and deeper arc on this topic will happen between Freyja and Mikumo, who share this homelessness. Both girls are hiding their isolation. Freyja with a smile, and Mikumo with a smirk. At the end of the day I get the feeling that Freyja and Mikumo's arcs collide more than the anime is letting on. The whole HayaFre things seems like an illusion or distraction, and Mirage will push us towards that reality.
Maybe. Or she's the distraction, hence her name "Mirage." Jokes aside, while I've always expected Mirage and Hayate end up together, however so far Mirage's arc is making her a completely dependent over someone she barely knows and we've only seen them interact very little. It doesn't work for me as love story (not that Freyja and Hayate work either). I sincerely hope for the first time there's a no resolution or no one ends up together.

Kaname might help Mikumo, she's always been her confidant of sorts, plus she's the leader of Walkure. Freyja's a little busy with her breakdown about her reason to live right now.

Old 2016-08-08, 06:27   Link #1517
Father Hentai

Actually Mirage means Fata Morgana or mirror image. although an illusion there is a reality that she mirrors
Old 2016-08-08, 11:15   Link #1518
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Actually Mirage means Fata Morgana or mirror image. although an illusion there is a reality that she mirrors
Mirage's most common meaning (besides the optical phenomena which happens in the desert):

Quote:
something illusory, without substance or reality.
Anyway, I'm sure her name is taken of the military use.

Old 2016-08-08, 11:17   Link #1519
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

As long as yall ain't associating Mirage with anything French, I am a happy camper.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 11:57   Link #1520
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
As long as yall ain't associating Mirage with anything French, I am a happy camper.

- Tak
Personnaly, I associate her name with the Mirage fighters series.
Besides, why do you have something against us French ?
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote