AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-16, 19:12   Link #1521
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Hikari's little outbreak was rather hard to watch, not because it was bad, but because it was sad to see him that way, especially when he was having some blame put onto him on not going to see someone. At the same time though, I was glad that out of everyone, he had his outbreak at Tsumugu. It may be me, but the entire time i've watched Tsumugu in his adulthood scenes, i've really not liked his character. I can't fully explain it, it may be the way his character interacts with everyone, has he even smiled yet? I felt like Hikari was telling him off in a way, or rather venting out his anger on someone that deserved it.
Old 2014-01-16, 19:31   Link #1522
leorodri100

man i'm sure that manaka will come back even in the OP she is naked in the bottom of the sea, and the fact that hikari can't get to the village is probably to not disturb the others hibernating i mean uroko-sama did say that the sea children could no longer go to the surface
SHE IS ALIVE, SHE IS COMING BACK SHE IS GOING TO TELL HIKARI HOW SHE FEELS or so i hope
but it makes sense!
leorodri100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 19:32   Link #1523
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That scene was kinda disappointing for me. I understand Chisaki's dealing with a lot, but she's basically an adult now. Yet she seemed too fragile in that scene. Hikari seemed so much more mature than her even though he's just a kid and is dealing with a lot of shit as well.

Good for Hikari I guess, but Chisaki was disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect her to be completely level-headed or anything, but I didn't think she would be so weak either.
Yeah, I agree with this. The other characters all seemed just about right to me, but Chisaki's sadness/weakness did seem a bit overdone to me.

But still, that means I think this episode did a good job with Hikari, Miuna, Tsumugu, Sayu, and Akari. 5/6 is rather good.

On the whole, it was an excellent episode, handled almost perfectly (Chisaki being the only exception, and even here, I did like the tasteful way the clothes changing scene was handled). This episode also has incredible visual appeal, beauty, and attention to detail. A real P.A. Works strength on full display here!

The way Miuna crushes on Hikari is just too adorable for words. It makes me very supporting of that pairing.

As for Tsumugu... I think he's a generally good caring guy who's very perceptive about the emotional needs and desires of the people that are close to him. But he is starting to strike me as the classic case of a guy who gives great advice but doesn't follow it himself. In other words, he's encouraging to others but he needs to encourage himself. It's clear that he has a crush on Chisaki, but that he's restrained himself from more clearly acting on it, and I think that may come back to haunt him if he doesn't snap out of it soon.

To be fair, him complimenting Chisaki on her prettiness is a step in the right direction, and he deserves credit for that, but he can't stop there. He needs to be like Tamayura, and become More Aggressive.
Old 2014-01-16, 19:33   Link #1524
blottyparchment

It seems that, after the time skip, they've been focusing mainly on two households, the Shiodome and Kihara and we've been jumping focuses between the two - Chisaki, Tsumugu, and the professor (what was his name again) and then Hikari, Miuna, and the rest of the Shiodomes. Which begs the question, where will Kaname stay? He hasn't forged that deep of a connection with any of the landfolks.

I can see Akari taking him in, so it would be easier for the two sea boys, Hikari and Kaname, to adapt to their new life, but I can't help but think that Tsumugu might be more likely the one to find Kaname and bring him home like, "Here, honey (to Chisaki), I brought home some fish." But really, I think it would serve as great drama to have Kaname so close to Chisaki, yet so unreachable, as Kaname would see their differences. If Hikari's return made Tsumugu more open about his feelings for Chisaki, I think Kaname's reappearance would help Chisaki be more aware AND responsive of Tsumugu. That guilty look Chisaki had, though, when she returned home after meeting Hikari, it was similar to something like feeling guilty about cheating on your spouse, which might mean that Chisaki could be aware of Tsumugu's feelings subconsciously.

But going back to Kaname, he really only considered Tsumugu his rival, rather than Hikari and knowing that he's going to lose again, he might live off on his own (despite being 14) and become estranged from the group for a while. I'm counting on Sayu to help him recover, though.
blottyparchment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 19:36   Link #1525
Arya

Another great episode. Even if I was expecting the same heavy atmosphere of the previous episode this more lighthearted mood was fine. Very strong writing.
I liked how Hikari tried to handle everything and supposedly he is still trying. And I liked how he opened up with Tsumugu. I was curious to know how they would have handle the time gap, because somehow I was expecting that they'd strengthen their friendship sooner or later, but the 5 years gap did worry me. Instead apparently there's still room for it. And I'm curious to see how.

Damn Okada. I was too optimistic about Chisaki and Tsumugu. Apparently I was wrong (not still convinced) and Tsumugu was right. Ah-a. Chisaki has still feelings for Hikari.
Surely they share strong bonds and Tsumugu is clearly in love with Chisaki, just the way he slammed his cup on the table the moment he heard the teacher badmouthing her said everything. Chisaki instead seems to be still stuck in the same middle ground. Tore between past and present, between unchanging and changing, Hikari and Tsumugu. The show made say it to her clearly by both of them. Hikari said that she is still the same, Tsumugu said that she does have changed. And she still want to go back to what I'd call her comfort zone. Much more now probably due to her surviving guilt. For the same reason she acted as a little girl facing Hikari. Because that what she was back then. And she still doesn't want change.

So, despite the ending seemed to imply that Chisaki still has feeling for Hikari, that she clearly has, I think that her main issue is and will be not related to Hikari as a lover, but more about this whole concept. She feels guilty because she grew up when her friends, sea friends, didn't. So when Hikari told her she didn't change she was relieved. Even if that's was a lie. On the other hand Tsumugu's telling her that she is pretty, much prettier, is not only referring to the fact that she is hotter, but, most importantly, to the fact that she is not accepting herself, probably seeing herself as ugly. So his compliment is more deeper that what it seems. And what you would expect from Tsumugu. And why I like him so much.
So, about the bath scene, I loved it in True Tears, I obviously loved it in this one too. When you are expecting the obvious cliche gag and get the opposite instead! Powerful.
In this case Okada added the symbolism of the closed sliding door between them to show that there is still a wall between them that they need to broke if they want to go anywhere.
The last scene where he, as usual, read her, and then she got surprised could means anything, I'm looking forward to see how uphill Tusumugu's road will be, given that Kaname is not even in the picture yet.

Ok, this is the Okada I love. And if I have to wait each time 5 years (ops, coincidence?) for it, I will. I just hope she won't disappoint me this time. But I still don't think she will, as I didn't back then!!

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 19:41   Link #1526
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
I felt like Hikari was telling him off in a way, or rather venting out his anger on someone that deserved it.
Tsumugu deserved that because you don't like him? Some standard you have.
Old 2014-01-16, 19:45   Link #1527
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
Tsumugu deserved that because you don't like him? Some standard you have.
I gave my reasons to why I didn't like him did I not? Oh right, let me use this quote then to satisfy you:

In my opinion, Hikari was venting out his anger on someone who I feel deserved it.

It's as I said, the way he's been interacting with people recently is what's getting on my nerves. Betetr him than someone, who in my opinion, does not deserve it.
Old 2014-01-16, 19:47   Link #1528
Kazu-kun

Quote:
It's as I said, the way he's been interacting with people recently is what's getting on my nerves.
That doesn't explain anything. What is it about his interactions with people that bothers you?
Old 2014-01-16, 19:56   Link #1529
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
That doesn't explain anything. What is it about his interactions with people that bothers you?
He's never happy now, not even with friends or family. How about the interaction with Miuna, where she herself said she was getting left out again. Miuna also mentioned how neither he or Chisaki had visited Hikari the 2 days he had been back.

The way he slammed his cup onto the table after that scientist guy mentioned how cold Chisaki is. Fair enough, he didn't like that comment, but he didn't exactly defend her now did he?

When he tried putting the task and blame onto a young, baffled Hikari to meet Chisaki rather than the other way around. Perhaps that was him defending Chisaki, but you still have to factor in that he tried to pin Hikari with being the one to blame for them not seeing each other yet without considering his feelings and his side of the story too which is much more justified than Chisaki's "I've changed".

Before he was an adult, he smiled more often, he had friendly interactions with people. His interaction with people now is beginning to annoy me, henceforth my opinion on why it's better better for Hikari to vent out his anger on someone who I feel is becoming a problem character rather than someone like Sayu or Miuna or Akari.
Old 2014-01-16, 20:13   Link #1530
leorodri100

i'm going to re-watch all episodes now a marathon of nagi no asukara if i overlooked anything now i shall know
leorodri100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 20:19   Link #1531
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I have always found the anti-Okada rage excessive
The rage pretty much non-existent by now when people realised this is actually a legitimately well made show with many layers, themes and concepts going for it and not just the earlier eps it where it was dominated by adolescent-drama wangstfest antics. I know this because I was one of the ragers at the start and put the series on hold for about 1.5 months before picking it up when "reliable" people I know said the series improved significantly. Oh boy has it improved. I'm actually really impressed that the series has come out the way it has so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira22 View Post
and then it was not a sentimental or romantic background
Tari Tari had some sentimentality (largely through Wakana and towards the end with graduation and all that), but yeh wasn't a romance series. Though there was some nice undertones between Taichi and Sawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Hanasaku?
Weren't people shipping Ohana with the cool guy alot and hating on Kou-chan yet didn't she end with Kou-chan?

You need to pay attention and be careful with Okada.
The guy's name was Tohru .

HSI's romance/shipping elements are of the annoying and frustrating type, much like NagiAsu's were during the early episodes. It's unfortunately compulsory baggage that comes with Okada series, at least to some extent. It is however still way more tolerable than your average light novel harem hijinks. Then again Romantic drama or love triangle/polygon centric anime that are well made like last season's White Album 2 only come out once in a blue moon. I don't think NagiKara would quite get on that level, but this 2nd cour is showing that it can deliver the goods.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2014-01-16 at 20:31.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 20:28   Link #1532
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
He's never happy now, not even with friends or family. How about the interaction with Miuna, where she herself said she was getting left out again. Miuna also mentioned how neither he or Chisaki had visited Hikari the 2 days he had been back.

The way he slammed his cup onto the table after that scientist guy mentioned how cold Chisaki is. Fair enough, he didn't like that comment, but he didn't exactly defend her now did he?

When he tried putting the task and blame onto a young, baffled Hikari to meet Chisaki rather than the other way around. Perhaps that was him defending Chisaki, but you still have to factor in that he tried to pin Hikari with being the one to blame for them not seeing each other yet without considering his feelings and his side of the story too which is much more justified than Chisaki's "I've changed".

Before he was an adult, he smiled more often, he had friendly interactions with people. His interaction with people now is beginning to annoy me, henceforth my opinion on why it's better better for Hikari to vent out his anger on someone who I feel is becoming a problem character rather than someone like Sayu or Miuna or Akari.
He's a quiet, stoic person, but deep inside he's suffering a lot.

It subtle at times, but Tsugumu has never been a robot especially now.

Would you be happy if all your friends disappeared in a blink of an eye and you had to watch your crush suffer for 5 years without having the power to do anything to help her while holding back your own feelings as you live together knowing she might still have a thing for another guy?

*catching my breath*

If I was him, I would need therapy or move out to the city. Oh wait.

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2014-01-16 at 21:27.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 20:32   Link #1533
Kazu-kun

^ And let's not forget that his grandpa's in the hospital. He really doesn't have much reason to be happy right now.
Old 2014-01-16, 20:34   Link #1534
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
He's a quiet, stoic person, but deep inside he's suffering a lot.

It subtle at times, but Tsugumu has never been a robot especially now.

Would you be happy if all your friends disappeared in a blink of an eye and you had to watch your crush suffer for 5 years without having the power to do anything to help her while holding back your own feelings as you live together with her?
That's a fair argument, but you could also bring up Chisaki. Here we have a young school girl who has had her village, childhood friends, crush, family and recently her and Tsugumu's grampa taken away from her for many years, and yet in the present day she is able to interact friendly with others and hold a proper conversation that didn't feel awkward. Why can't Tsumugu do that? One would say Chisaki is weaker than Tsumugu and yet she's able to handle herself fine.
Old 2014-01-16, 20:39   Link #1535
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
He's never happy now, not even with friends or family.
Of course he's not happy. He's living with a girl that he has a huge crush on, he's done so for several years, and things are going nowhere between them. Dude is very sexually frustrated, so what do you expect?

He could be more aggressive, like I think he should be, but unfortunately for him, that doesn't come easily to him. He's a good advice-giver, but naturally passive when it comes to his own relationships.

He slammed his cup onto the table because he didn't like the comment, yes, but also because he can't really counter it. The scientist guy is kinda right, and it ties into elements of Chisaki's character that likely frustrates Tsumugu. He doesn't like her being insulted, but the insult is painfully valid, so that just makes it sting even more.

All of this probably ties into him having mixed feelings over Hikari coming back. Hikari was his childhood friend, and he's glad that Hikari's awakening likely means the hibernation is/was a success and won't last too much longer. But on the other hand, it means that his chances with Chisaki are getting even lower now.
Old 2014-01-16, 20:39   Link #1536
Kazu-kun

Quote:
That's a fair argument, but you could also bring up Chisaki. Here we have a young school girl who has had her village, childhood friends, crush, family and recently her and Tsugumu's grampa taken away from her for many years, and yet in the present day she is able to interact friendly with others and hold a proper conversation that didn't feel awkward. Why can't Tsumugu do that? One would say Chisaki is weaker than Tsumugu and yet she's able to handle herself fine.
Chisaki's putting on a facade. Tsumugu doesn't bother. I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 2014-01-16, 20:44   Link #1537
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Chisaki's putting on a facade. Tsumugu doesn't bother. I see nothing wrong with that.
Chisaki puts on a facade half of the time, and cries like a water fountain the other half of the time. I really have to take issue with the idea that she's handling herself fine. I think her approach is risking a serious emotional breakdown.

If anything, I prefer Tsumugu's approach.
Old 2014-01-16, 20:46   Link #1538
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
^ And let's not forget that his grandpa's in the hospital. He really doesn't have much reason to be happy right now.
that too.

This is what I think happen during the reunion.

Hikari accepted this reality once he saw her adult form and took his first steps toward Chisaki. You even see his footprints on the snow as he moves forward to gives out advice or tease Chisaki.

This is his way of telling her that she can move on from her 5 year frozen state in a playful way.

Fast forward to Chisaki's in front of Tsugumu's door step where she's hesitating to go inside. I have feeling she's remembering her own repressed feelings that are starting to come out.

The way she stuttered when Tsugumu opened the door tells me that she will start being more aware of his presence since meeting Hikari again and knowing he's doing fine.

Before Tsugumu asked her about Hikari, he called her name and she gave this look.

I have a feeling that she remembered what he said how pretty she is and was expecting him to follow through with something here.

That's why she's blushing.

She has this "I have no idea what he's gonna say to me right now? Is he gonna confessed to me? What do I do?" look.

When she saw his sad expression, I think Chisaki felt guilt and disappointment on herself. She's the type of character that would blame herself for making others sad.

They're so close, yet so far at the moment and someone pointed out the closed door/wall between on any earlier post.

This should fun to watch.

10/10
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-16, 20:47   Link #1539
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
Is it a facade? Maybe some yes, but all of it? Can you be so sure? And you're exactly right, Tsumugu doesn't bother, he doesn't try. That's what i'm annoyed about, he is no longer a pleasant character to interact with. This is the point i'm making, I don't like his character interactions, I don't like his character at the moment, he's just not trying.

His granpa is in the hospital, but he doesn't visit him. He's not trying. Hikari, the first sea dweller to come out of hibernation is at a house he is familiar with for 2 days and yet he makes no attempt to even drop in to say hello, see how he's doing. He isn't trying. Isn't Tsumugu studying the sea and the sea village, researching the hibernation etc? And yet he makes no attempt to get information out of Hikari for his work? He isn't trying.

Now you can see why I feel like his character deserves it. He isn't trying.
Old 2014-01-16, 20:51   Link #1540
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Now you can see why I feel like his character deserves it. He isn't trying.
Chisaki isn't trying either. She's just putting on a facade. It's different. Her whole persona is a lie. It would be great if she could grow the fuck up and turn the lie into reality, but right now I'm not even sure if she does want to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If anything, I prefer Tsumugu's approach.
I agree.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
This is what I think happen during the reunion.

Hikari accepted this reality once he saw her adult form and took his first steps toward Chisaki. You even see his footprints on the snow as he moves forward to gives out advice or tease Chisaki.

This is his way of telling her that she can move on from her 5 year frozen state in a playful way.
Hikari's strong enough to accept things as they are. This doesn't mean Chisaki is suddenly capable of moving on or anything. You're confusing his character development with hers. She's still stuck in the past and Hikari accepting her doesn't change that, especially since his rationale is that she really hasn't changed, which is not true. She changed, and she has to face that reality. She can't hid behind Hikari's kindness and strength forever.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-01-16 at 21:08.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen