AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2022-10-26, 18:54   Link #1521
Frontier

I mean, what Sakurai did was pretty scummy but he didn't break an NDA or let it seep into his work life like Suzuki did (and his wife isn't LiSA famous - even if that doesn't justify the cheating) so I don't expect it to be as dramatic as what happened to Suzuki.

But it was still a pretty scummy thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
How does this even work? That woman has been dating him for ten years and never suspected he was married? That means she never met his friends, family, or spent holidays with him. She really never found that odd? I never understood how people managed to live double lives like that.
Nobody even knew he was married, not even his agency, until the tabloids made him reveal it publicly. Maybe that's part of how he was able to get away with it.
Old 2022-10-26, 19:06   Link #1522
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
How does this even work? That woman has been dating him for ten years and never suspected he was married? That means she never met his friends, family, or spent holidays with him. She really never found that odd? I never understood how people managed to live double lives like that.
Actually, this is not really surprising. Seiyuu always try to keep a low profile when it comes to their private life, so it wouldn't be surprising if she was convinced that she shouldn't be with him all the time, lest rumors were to spread. If anything, no one knew he had an affair with her until the radio incident happened. Same goes for many other seiyuu such as Shimono who was spotted with a kid when he was on a bicycle for instance.
What's truly surprising is the fact that his talent agency never knew about that, which might be quite problematic in his case, because I expect an employer to need that info for paperwork and other administrative stuff.
Old 2022-10-26, 20:20   Link #1523
larethian

I think the agency would know he's married just maybe not the affair. And I would give the benefit of doubt in Suzumura's case that he wasn't aware. For now.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-26, 20:27   Link #1524
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Presumably (at least I hope) everyone can agree that adultery is a bad thing. It's an expression of a character flaw, to be sure. But this is still the usual Japanese otaku celebrity nonsense. Cheating (even if it sounds as if this is a pretty egregious example) should not result in a seiyuu losing jobs. It's a private matter and if sanity prevailed it would stay one.
Depends on what he said to her. If he made promise to marry her in exchange for her help in getting work, that could be considered a scam (fraud)?
We also saw Narumi Runa lose her job for cheating on her boyfriend, and she sure didn't use up 10 years of his lives.

Quote:
This guy does like 10 or 20 anime each season for some reason. He easily could make excuses on when he can meet or not meet or not come home, along with having separate houses for each person

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-26, 20:43   Link #1525
Frontier

Is cheating such a systemic issue in Japanese culture?
Old 2022-10-26, 21:50   Link #1526
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Depends on what he said to her. If he made promise to marry her in exchange for her help in getting work, that could be considered a scam (fraud)?
We also saw Narumi Runa lose her job for cheating on her boyfriend, and she sure didn't use up 10 years of his lives.
But no one has accused him of that, have they? There are a lot of things he should lose work over if he did them, but if no one says he did them what difference does it make?

As for what happened to Runa, that’s not an argument that seiyuu should be blacklisted for cheating - it’s further proof of how messed up the whole culture is.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-26, 22:13   Link #1527
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Seiyuu on black list? They might suffer some consequences temporarily, but that's kinda it.
People as scummy as Inoue Kazuhiko are still doing fine now a days.
shmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-26, 22:57   Link #1528
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
Seiyuu on black list? They might suffer some consequences temporarily, but that's kinda it.
People as scummy as Inoue Kazuhiko are still doing fine now a days.
I must have missed that memo. What’s his supposed crime - too left-wing in his politics?
Old 2022-10-26, 23:28   Link #1529
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Inoue? This guy has divorced like what, 4 times?
And his first and third divorces were because he cheated on his wife of that time.
His record with women was so terrible that his own son can't stand him. To the point that his son went to Nagai Ichirou, who is Inoue's mentor for help. Nagai end up asking Inoue to take vasoligated so he at least wouldn't producing children irresponsibly.
Old 2022-10-26, 23:38   Link #1530
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Divorce is not a crime. I think that’s the whole point here.
Old 2022-10-26, 23:47   Link #1531
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Divorce is not a crime. I think that’s the whole point here.
Which is why I brought this up?
Inoue is like the worst man in the industry when it comes to cheating on wife, and he is completely fine with his career regardless.
So a seiyuu losing job because they are indecent people in private is not a thing. Whatever damage they may take is only temporary.
Old 2022-10-26, 23:57   Link #1532
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
But no one has accused him of that, have they? There are a lot of things he should lose work over if he did them, but if no one says he did them what difference does it make?
Well, the main person that could accuse him is (was?) hospitalized, so she might not be in a state to do so... yet
What the victims do following this reveal will make things better or worse for Sakurai, that's for sure. For all we know, he could have other women as well. The guy sure is fine taking away someone's 10 (prime) years. Does his current wife want to stay with him? His lover quit her job too, so she sure has free time now.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2022-10-27, 00:09   Link #1533
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Nobody even knew he was married, not even his agency, until the tabloids made him reveal it publicly. Maybe that's part of how he was able to get away with it.
Nah, its like what larethian said. His agency knew he's married, Suzumura knew Sakurai is married;

Ironically that's part of reason why Sakurai change his agency to Suzumura's, to hide fact he's married due to how his fanbase consists mostly rabid fangirls.
It actually made sense if Suzumura didn't know Sakurai cheating on his wife. If you look into how Sakurai befriending other male VAs on various talks, Suzumura never truly part of Sakurai hangout buddies; similar to Tatsuhisa Suzuki, he's good friend with other VAs but he primarily hangout with people from his band vocalist circle (which lead to his infamous cheating).
Old 2022-10-27, 00:48   Link #1534
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Nah, its like what larethian said. His agency knew he's married, Suzumura knew Sakurai is married
That's the funny part. The agency is now saying they don't know Sakurai married.
Old 2022-10-27, 02:01   Link #1535
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Well, the main person that could accuse him is (was?) hospitalized, so she might not be in a state to do so... yet
What the victims do following this reveal will make things better or worse for Sakurai, that's for sure. For all we know, he could have other women as well. The guy sure is fine taking away someone's 10 (prime) years. Does his current wife want to stay with him? His lover quit her job too, so she sure has free time now.
That’s a dangerous slope to start down - “who knows what else he/she might be guilty of?” It basically opens the door to any speculation you like.
Old 2022-10-27, 02:31   Link #1536
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
That’s a dangerous slope to start down - “who knows what else he/she might be guilty of?” It basically opens the door to any speculation you like.
*shrug* I'm not the one that cheated.
One reason both ladies did not suspect him of cheating even though he probably disappeared sometimes to spend time with the other is likely because they didn't think he was capable of doing such a thing. They would likely justify his actions by making some excuse. Normal stuff. I see people try to defend poor stories in anime they like all the time by pulling stuff out of thin air.
But now that it is in the open, it will be that much easier for his wife and everyone else to expect the worst out of him. Good ol' Boy Who Cried Wolf, perhaps you could say.

Old 2022-10-27, 02:55   Link #1537
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

You know, Suzuki got it that bad mainly because he happen to marry a woman who is more popular in the industry than him. Sakurai will probably get away wit it just fine.

Though, I am concerbed about this wghole wave of cheting cases among male seiyuu in the later years.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-27, 03:21   Link #1538
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Though, I am concerned about this whole wave of cheating cases among male seiyuu in the later years.
You mean wave of just caught cheating cases.

Reminds me to comedy show that once invited Mamoru Miyano.
In that comedy show, after Mamo flexing his voice, one of comedians commented with, "Forget about looks, I can have ten girlfriends if I have his voice".
Considering Sakurai range of roles and their popularity, perhaps safe to say that Sakurai exploited it thoroughly. There have to be some kind of favoritism to ensure ten years of relationship without noticing he's a married man works.
Old 2022-10-27, 06:48   Link #1539
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Images
Pic VERY related.
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Reigen's got himself in pretty hot water huh.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-27, 09:26   Link #1540
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
Inoue? This guy has divorced like what, 4 times?
And his first and third divorces were because he cheated on his wife of that time.
His record with women was so terrible that his own son can't stand him. To the point that his son went to Nagai Ichirou, who is Inoue's mentor for help. Nagai end up asking Inoue to take vasoligated so he at least wouldn't producing children irresponsibly.
Jeez, Inoue .