AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-08-07, 02:47   Link #15441
winter 923

How much do the Intros count? I thought about George's POV when seeing the red sneering Faces. Also the "no dine. no knox. no fair" How strong is knox till now actually?
Knox 2nd. this one, really... Battler and Erika are pieces controlled by the Gamemaster (and maybe the Human side) yes they can't make them do things that they normaly would not but they are still somewhat directed. Also Erika in EP5 uses her Detective Authority as a supernatural ability to move People. (So that she can look at the victims/see the crime scene)
Knox 3rd. Beginning with EP 2 Beatrice says about a dozen times that there are no hidden passages by the crime scenes.
Knox 7th EP6 TIPS metaworld says that Erika is the detective and she also says it in red in the end. So a detective without being proclaimed as one can still say in red that he is a detective AND kill? Then Battler never was a detective, at least i didn't read a proclaimation
Knox 9th got broken by red by Knox's 9th, people are allowed to mistake a sheet in the wind for anything else and tell about it. ......However! Mistaking it for Grandfather in particular is not permitted in this game due to the red truth!!
However, in the cousins' room, you witnessed corpses which were impossible to MISIDENTIFY...! Are you trying to say that was a FALSEHOOD?! Without love it can't be seen. With love there will be falsehood.

With EP7 there is a chance van dine joines. We still don't know howmuch R07 will alter them but! any Organisation, Servant or more than 1 Killer theory would be dead. Also even ingame dine's "don't use cliche" destroyes EP3 Kyries/Hideyoshi cigarette blunt
Old 2010-08-07, 03:06   Link #15442
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter 923 View Post
With EP7 there is a chance van dine joines. We still don't know howmuch R07 will alter them but! any Organisation, Servant or more than 1 Killer theory would be dead. Also even ingame dine's "don't use cliche" destroyes EP3 Kyries/Hideyoshi cigarette blunt
Actually technically with a little editing it wouldn't forbid that.

Quote:
The culprit may, of course, have a minor helper or co-plotter; but the entire onus must rest on one pair of shoulders: the entire indignation of the reader must be permitted to concentrate on a single black nature.
The culprit is still allowed to have accomplices the main point of this rule could be that there can be only one central evil behind the plot.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 05:21   Link #15443
Pika_power

Here are the Van Dine rules for reference:

Spoiler for Van Dine Rules:

And here's my take on them:
Spoiler for Size:

Last edited by Pika_power; 2010-08-07 at 05:50.
Pika_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 08:14   Link #15444
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika_power View Post
*snip!*
Well there is the infamous Knox's 5th, which has been completely removed for obvious reasons.
I cannot see how Ryukishi can get around several of these, quite frankly, without severely modifying them.

No love? Yeah, let's just ignore the main theme of the entire novel.
No deceptions? Unless, as you said, this does not apply to fantasy scenes.
No servants as murderers? DAMMIT.

This is the thing that is keeping me from accepting that the new characters are Van Dine-related. Too many of these rules, unmodified, would create big problems for us and even the way we view the game.
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 08:56   Link #15445
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
This is the thing that is keeping me from accepting that the new characters are Van Dine-related. Too many of these rules, unmodified, would create big problems for us and even the way we view the game.
The Knox Rules have already been heavily modified.
Knox 5 is going to show up and bite us in the ass one day, mark my words.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 09:01   Link #15446
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The Knox Rules have already been heavily modified.
Knox 5 is going to show up and bite us in the ass one day, mark my words.
Of course, but not to the extent that these will have to change.

The Man From 19 Years Ago is actually American. Case closed 8)
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 10:05   Link #15447
ErenselTheJester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
Well there is the infamous Knox's 5th, which has been completely removed for obvious reasons.
I cannot see how Ryukishi can get around several of these, quite frankly, without severely modifying them.

No love? Yeah, let's just ignore the main theme of the entire novel.
No deceptions? Unless, as you said, this does not apply to fantasy scenes.
No servants as murderers? DAMMIT.

The theme of the entire novel isn't the love that is spoken in VD's rules. Van Dine is saying that the affectionate love shouldn't be a motive, the love that is talked about in the game is quite different. Besides, it would be stupid if that was the motive. "I loved Battler so I killed his family members." Yeah... if this is Battler's only justification for Beatrice, then I'm quitting this thing.

I see Van Dine's rules as a way to write mystery novels. Knox's rules are a way to solve them. These two are supposed to be what composes mysteries. If the game is really "mystery," then Ryukishi has to follow Van Dine's rules as well. Not to say that they should be a subject in the next game, but if anything they should be a premise through the entirety of this game.
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 11:53   Link #15448
CainSonozaki

I went through and analyzed all of the Dine rules. and going by Dlanors TIP about Wizard Hunting Wright of the TWELVE wedges i went through to see which rules probably wouldnt be included

Spoiler for Van dine:
Right now the time where magic advents.
I am Beatrice-sama! Ahaha"
CainSonozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 11:54   Link #15449
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

What Van Dine's romance rule is saying is that a murder mystery novel is not a story for hooking people up. The detective should not fall in love, budding romances between suspects should not be dwelled on, and so forth. The murderer is still allowed to kill for a love-related reason, but by the nature of being the murderer he or she will not get a happy romantic resolution since the detective is going to expose the crime.

This goes pretty harshly against Agatha Christie; Poirot was famous for matchmaking people as he was going about investigating crimes. Technically he didn't generally get involved himself, though. Spy thrillers, a younger cousin to mysteries, are also all about the incredible deceptive power of feigned romance, lust, and seduction, and in many cases these things can enhance the mystery by making it unclear who the protagonist can trust. Noir plays this somewhat straight; there's seduction, but the detective usually doesn't fall for it or is inherently suspect of it, and as a darker genre things rarely work out well for anybody (Chandler). Late-era detective mysteries also break this freely one way or another. You look at something like a Travis McGee book, it's practically old hat (though there's not a lot of it in McGee's present). And there's a lot of "romance mysteries" of late which would drive Van Dine crazy. Umineko could be said to be one of them, though depending on where you're willing to draw the line it might still loosely conform.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 12:18   Link #15450
UsagiTenpura
Artist

If they exist at all in Umineko (which I sorta doubt), I'd say VanDine 3 might be changed simply to something like "The detective's job is to bring a criminal to justice" without talking directly about love.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 12:25   Link #15451
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

If that's so, Battler and Erika have both pretty much failed miserably at it. Ep5 was as close as anyone tried, and Erika screwed the pooch on that one bad.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 12:39   Link #15452
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Complete Edit: My guesses at possible VanDine rules v.Umineko.

Spoiler for VanDine Attempt:

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2010-08-07 at 13:30.
Old 2010-08-07, 13:24   Link #15453
Marion
The Great Dine

Why would Ryukishi rewrite the rules? That goes against the whole point of using them. He could have rewrote the 5th rule for Knox, but just omitted it. Even with Knox all he did was reword some of the rules, but otherwise stuck to the original meaning and context of said rule.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 13:41   Link #15454
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Because if Van Dine is introduced exactly like it is, it cannot be applied to Umineko. VD 2-3 in particular.

Not to mention that everyones dies and accidents and suicides are absolutely forbidden by VanDine, which makes the arc's ending impossible in themselves.
Old 2010-08-07, 14:32   Link #15455
Moogleking

Send a message via AIM to Moogleking
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Because if Van Dine is introduced exactly like it is, it cannot be applied to Umineko. VD 2-3 in particular.

Not to mention that everyones dies and accidents and suicides are absolutely forbidden by VanDine, which makes the arc's ending impossible in themselves.
I don't think it contradicts nearly as much as you think it does.
The tricks and deceptions have all been put in place by Beatrice and the meta-realm. It's not like we're being lied to and don't know it.

Regarding everyone dying, I don't think there are any accidents or suicides. The bomb is killing everyone is neither of those.

The love interest one is probably the closest to contradicting, since Battler starts spending so much time on Beatrice in 5-6. But you could say that in 1-4 there wasn't much of that.
Moogleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 14:59   Link #15456
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogleking View Post
I don't think it contradicts nearly as much as you think it does.
The tricks and deceptions have all been put in place by Beatrice and the meta-realm. It's not like we're being lied to and don't know it.
My only problem with that is we're shown scenes such as Ange/Hachijou which none of the other characters are aware of. I guess it could be argued that Ange herself is the detective in arc 6 tho.

Quote:
Regarding everyone dying, I don't think there are any accidents or suicides. The bomb is killing everyone is neither of those.
It's still a bit of a stretch. There is supposed to be only one murderer, there is no mention of wether or not the motive is noble (such as stopping the culprit). That seems to prevent the idea that the culprit intended to stay alive until the end but got killed before, and that everyone left alive still dies cause of the explosion. I suppose there's probably other ways to think of it.

Quote:
The love interest one is probably the closest to contradicting, since Battler starts spending so much time on Beatrice in 5-6. But you could say that in 1-4 there wasn't much of that.
I guess it could be argued that because Battler started to fall in love with Beato is the reason why he lost his status as detective in arc 5-6. I suppose inherently there are no rules that specifies that the protagonist can be the culprit or associated with the culprit while the detective, even tho not being a culprit, is the actual antagonist.
Old 2010-08-07, 16:21   Link #15457
Moogleking

The future scenes aren't really tricks or deceptions. Really it seems like a kind of reverse backstory that tries to give us more hints and motives.

Regarding the bomb: Whoever set it, if they managed to fake their death, probably got away in at least a few games.
Old 2010-08-07, 16:30   Link #15458
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Is there a red text stating that all the games have the same cultprint? You know because of Eva...
I have to ask this because all my prime suspects get smashed by beatrice reds...Well Even though its just a range from 1- to 3 people...
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 16:43   Link #15459
Moogleking

If this plays out anything like Higurashi, I would suspect there is one person who gets other people to do the killing without getting their own hands dirty.

Game 3 is pretty hard to put together, though.

In game 3, Eva is probably innocent for Gohda/Kuma/Genji deaths in the first twilight (Shannon/Kanon are likely not dead).
The scenes in the morning suggest the adults all teamed up and did something. Not sure what the plan was here. The fact they all barricade up with guns makes it seem like they know someone is out there willing to kill them.

Eva is strongly suggested to have killed Rosa/Maria. However, this could be the work of Kanon if he faked death.
The magic scenes strongly suggest Hideyoshi died from Rudolph's gun while protecting Eva. It is difficult to say what exactly happened here, especially if Kanon is running around, but Eva probably killed 1 person max, if any of them.
George then goes and wakes up Shannon, and someone shoots both of them. Since Nanjo probably told George she was alive and locked the window after he left, he is obviously super suspicious. The person who shoots George and Shannon could be Eva, or it might not. Again, hard to say.
Then Kanon seems to come along and shoot Nanjo to save Jessica.
And then Battler is shot by Eva.

It is very easy to put almost all of it on Eva, but that kind of ignores everything about Beatrice. Game 3 is pretty tough, because we can't figure out why the first twilight happens the way it does.

And I haven't even started to say how this has anything to do with the mastermind leading everybody on. If we assume game 3 is the game where "Something went wrong", then I suspect the mastermind to have died from some actions from Eva they didn't expect.
Old 2010-08-07, 16:56   Link #15460
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Chess analogues:

Various: Maria's crown resembles a black king.

Episode 3, Virgilia vs. Beatrice:
Virgilia acts like a Maharajah (powerful motion (queen), but if captured, all is lost), while Beatrice acts like a king (limited motion, Virgilia's sole target).

Episode 3, Evatrice: Eva == pawn, Evatrice == promoted queen

Episode 4, Battler meets Beatrice:
Battler == white king
Beatrice == promoted(?) queen
Siestas == Bishops (?)

Battler mentions how there's one white square on the board, under his feet. The white king starts the game on a black square.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote