AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-08-08, 05:25   Link #15541
cmos

I don't know if something like this was discussed already. I'll repost my shkannonless theory.
Spoiler for the text:

What do you think, everyone?
cmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 05:32   Link #15542
Moogleking

Send a message via AIM to Moogleking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
No not even a little bit. It's a lot easier to explain that scene if Nanjo and Kumasawa are faking and they disappear from the room and get killed later. Your explanation doesn't even explain their disappearance.

Furthermore I have hints in my favor for this. Kumasawa and Nanjo were Seventh and eighth twilights.
I don't know how much the twilight order should really be trusted. I mean, we know that in the first twilight people aren't even dead anyways sometimes, like game 5.

It is possible they were killed then, but weren't made into "twilights" until later.

Definitely something interesting to think about and revise the theory. Let me know if you have something that explains the scene as well.

Why would they all lie about Kanon? If they're trying to pin it on Kanon, why all the crap about they don't actually think it was Kanon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Another about arc 3
6 people: Kinzo, Genji, Shannon, Kanon, Gohda, and Kumasawa are dead!
You cannot claim that within the same sentence the same word means different things. If they are not dead then none of them are dead but Kinzo is dead.
I think this is just a point we can disagree on. There are word games in Umineko. The end of episode 6 is probably the most obvious example, where there are both 18 and 17 people at the same time.
Moogleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 07:37   Link #15543
winter 923

Yes Eva has a egale tattoo and this actually speaks for Shannon. Eva, and therefor any female Ushiromiya born will take the name of their Husbands and lose the right of the one-winged eagle. Only because Krauss and Natsuhi didn't have a child for so long Eva got Kinzo to reconsider. And still, tattooing a Servant is extreme.

"killed" does not mean being shot/attacked whatever. At least not in my country, i hate it if i read in the news "A flood killed x people" "Building collapsed X people killed".
The fact that Furniture can change since EP1 and that these pseudonym's are only bound to the job make me believe that this is possible.
"The 18 names given didn't match up with the 18 people who actually existed"

twisting the red is not absurd, actually most of the red is used against the human side and is twisted already.

Whoever Erika is he/she is not stupid. She only believes in evidence and one truth. For her even just looking in the Bathroom makes the previous red obsolete "while i was investigating the bathroom, Kanon slipped out of the closet, and 'hid again' somewhere in the bedroom!" Well she wasn't right on this one but at least it shows that red is a "truth that you can't object" and "of course isn't bound on time" you can't asume just becaus Kanon wasn't in the bedroom he will never again be (or in fact in 1 minute). Erika admits that there isn't necessarily just one truth. Just because Beatrice used another trick to solve this room doesn't make it any less important. Erika isn't here to solve the game but to show us the way.
Old 2010-08-08, 09:26   Link #15544
Qaenyin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogleking View Post
She is in the next room over because at that time she IS Shannon. She is furniture, and playing the role of Shannon at that time. There have been no scenes that suggest she gave up the name Shannon at this point in game 6.

There are scenes that suggest this in game 2 for Kanon (Jessica dies, and so does he) and game 3 for Shannon and Kanon (they both decide to fight against Beatrice and "go to sleep").
Makes no sense to claim someone stops existing as something as soon as they simply change their name. That's too arbitrary and there's been no support for it in the game so far. If Kinzo suddenly decided to call himself Kinzo's Bed would that mean he could just stand in the middle of the room during Arc 5 while Battler was arguing with Erika and the red ignored him because he was his bed? No, because Kinzo is still Kinzo, whether he calls himself Kinzo or not.
Qaenyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 10:31   Link #15545
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Who is Erika?
Assuming Erika is someone else among the rest, I tried to figure out who she could be within arc 6. She is the culprit, which helps a lot.

Krauss, Hideyoshi, Rudolph, and Gohda - Not the culprit in red
Natsuhi, Eva, Kyrie, Rosa, and Maria - Dead in red
Battler and Kanon (or Shkanon) - Body count in the guestroom prevents it

Now unless you suggest that Erika sealed the next room over while being inside and then broke it's herself (without even being aware of it somehow) she can hardly be someone in the next room over at the time it became a sealed room. Additionally ruling out George, Shannon, Kumasawa, and Nanjo.

Who's left?
Jessica and Genji.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 11:25   Link #15546
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Erika is a random char brought in by Berknkastel and her piece version, so she is the same as Rika in Higurashi.

Frederika Bernkastel
Frederrika -//-

And thats the whole problem Battler will ever have in pointing out what actually happened. All the witches just randomly add new pieces like they want to both confuse Battler and Readers.
She could be the visitor from EP 2 and was just not invited to eat with the other guests, but thats all.
Remember
There are no more than 17 people on this island
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 11:32   Link #15547
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Look at the word games this way:

"Dead" is a word with certain metaphorical connotations. The writing of Baroque cantattas is a "dead art." Jimi Hendrix is "dead." A non-functioning television set is "dead." My gay cousin is "dead to" his parents after coming out.

"Kill" is less versatile. Oedipus "killed" his father. You can "kill" a process on your computer. You can "kill" a bill of legislation, or a discussion, or a theory. Tangentially, you can "murder" a piece of music or theater.

"Attack" has slightly fewer still. You can "attack" a mugger. You can also "attack" an idea. An aggressive personality is said to be "attacking" even when it is not physically doing so.

"Homicide" has only one definition. Killing a human being.

Here is Usagi's problem: How do you determine which is being used when? The ep3 First Twilight red is a good example of this. Let's say it's true that Kinzo is biologically dead but Shannon is only metaphorically dead (because she's believed to be). The sentence, even contextualized, does not indicate how we are to determine this. It might be different to say sequentially "Kinzo is dead. Shannon is 'dead.'" But that doesn't actually happen.

There's also the problem when you mix these metaphors. You can "attack" a concept, "kill" it, and declare it "dead." You cannot, however, commit homicide against it, you cannot render it "incapable of taking action," and while you can localize its "death" to the location it was "attacked," you cannot actually kill it through this means I have just described, because unlike a human being an idea can have different truth states. If "Kanon" is a mathematical claim that 2+2=5, and you disprove it in Jessica's room, you might be able to say Kanon was killed in this room. However, I can just as easily say that to somebody a few rooms over who does not know about this proof, Kanon is alive in this room. At that point, red has become a matter of opinion. While opinion can be truth (It is my opinion that Kanon did not commit suicide is a true statement if you believe it), it is utterly meaningless to put it in red.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 11:46   Link #15548
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Just to add.
All of them had signs of fatal wounds that resembled gunshot wounds! Murder from outside the room was impossible!! And I'll say even more in red! When the 5 people other than Kinzo were murdered, the murderer was definitely in the same room!
A concept cannot have fatal wounds or anything that looks like one. And you cannot murder a concept. You can also not be a murderer of concepts.

Edit: Also there is somewhat of a bigger problem. Even if we're to accept that Shkanon can somehow evade death by furniture death this is not what the ones in favor of it are suggesting. What is being proposed, in the form it is being proposed, can be resumed to this.
Shannon and Kanon are implied not to be their only names, as thus it makes them deathproof, redproof, and senseproof.

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2010-08-08 at 12:01.
Old 2010-08-08, 11:58   Link #15549
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Actually I'd be generous and say a concept can be murdered. However, it cannot be observed to have signs of injury.

You can "kill" a device. But a device that is "killed" is not necessarily dead. If I "kill the lights" or "kill the alarm," they are in fact working properly. They do not "come back to life" when I turn them back on. In fact, a device must not be "dead" to "kill" it.

Machines can "move" and "act" but cannot do so absent specific conditions. If Kanon is a grandfather clock, he can be "attacked" and "rendered incapable of taking action," but isn't dead, assuming he can be merely restarted. On the other hand, if he's broken he's "dead," but he didn't have to be destroyed to be "dead."

Old 2010-08-08, 12:12   Link #15550
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
Just to add.
All of them had signs of fatal wounds that resembled gunshot wounds! Murder from outside the room was impossible!! And I'll say even more in red! When the 5 people other than Kinzo were murdered, the murderer was definitely in the same room!
A concept cannot have fatal wounds or anything that looks like one. And you cannot murder a concept. You can also not be a murderer of concepts.
And this is something that bothers me the most about the furniture death thing. If furniture death is really the way Kanon is able to appear after death then I don't think it can work with episode 3. Something doesn't add up. If he used furniture death he wouldn't have fatal wound. A concept can't be fatal wounded by a gunshot.
The parents found Kanon dead in the chapel. It would be stupid to assume that they didn't notice he was faking if he was plain in sight.
Also it gives problems in episode 4. Shannon and Kanon proclaim they are human before the second twilight occurs. Therefore if the furniture death applied Kanon and Shannon should died at that point this however would be impossible as Kanon was the ninth victim as stated in red.
This as basically the points where I can not find any plausible explanation that might make furniture death not matter how much I stretch.
Old 2010-08-08, 12:14   Link #15551
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

The "wounds" issue is actually a translation thing that was discussed a while back and I believe chronotrig had it fixed in the later ep1-4 patch.

They appeared to have wounds which resembled fatal gunshot injuries. The red does not say they were actually wounded, merely that they appeared to be.

Old 2010-08-08, 12:18   Link #15552
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Now let's be serious a moment. If a murderer can simply argue against a concept or make a shame out of a concept to be considered a murderer, then I guess Battler broke Knox 7th in arc 1 when he proved that Jessica's idea about how Eva and Hideyoshi died was wrong.

Applied to the detective genre in general, claiming you can be a murderer by simply arguing out a concept makes it so the entire story is completely pointless.

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2010-08-08 at 14:55. Reason: Knox 7th, not 1st, sorry
Old 2010-08-08, 12:20   Link #15553
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Now let's be serious a moment. If a murderer can simply argue against concept or make a shame out of a concept to be considered a murderer, then I guess Battler broke Knox 1st in arc 1 when he proved that Jessica's idea about how Eva and Hideyoshi died was wrong.

Applied to the detective genre in general, claiming you can be a murderer by simply arguing out a concept makes it the entire story completely pointless.
Well, what if we look at all the red as applied to a given character and determine from all those traits and statements in aggregate what they are?

Though we don't really need to as ep6 makes very clear that Kanon is at least a person, so he isn't a clock, a concept, or a costume. He may be a person in a costume or a person exploiting a concept, but he is a person.

Old 2010-08-08, 13:04   Link #15554
serverwolf

please dont ruin the game with wird answers.
if it was stated in red that someone is dead. its not a metaphora! >.<" if you say that its a metaphora its just the same as denying the all concept, and making the game pointless.

the point in red truth is to make you understand more the puzzel.
its a gift from ryukishi07 in a form of the witch's attack. denying it will make the all story pointless (if you denay that the red truth is an absulute truth, its like you spit on the gift ryukishi07 made!)
this all story is a puzzel game wich you play against ryukishi07!
it's no wonder he made that outher-woman (i allways forget her name >.>) hachi something.
and make her say that she hate it when people dont actully read her story (its obviusly what the fans show to ryukishi!) people won't belive in anything other then red. people wont belive even in the most basic red! then what the point of ryukishi's hard work?

now seriously. dont evade the puzzel with the use of "but i cant know if the red is metaphorically truth or real truth" they are real truth not a metaphora.
the rules are stated in red.
take the time of when the red was stated in consideration.
and take the 'humen' side cluse (since 'magic cannot be something imposible for humen)
and seriously try to explain the puzzels.
serverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 13:36   Link #15555
Used Can

Of course the Red is an absolute truth. I don't think anyone is saying it is a metaphor either. However, even if you're being told something that is true, that doesn't mean that it is not up to interpretation. For example:

Today I made juice. The fruits I used were round and red.

Now, what do you get from that? Apples? Cherries? Plums? Cranberries?

Spoiler for Answer:
Old 2010-08-08, 13:39   Link #15556
Qaenyin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Look at the word games this way:
*very large block of text snipped*
The problem with drawing things to that extreme is then everything falls apart and the entire mystery becomes arbitrary, thus rendering any attempt to solve it sketchy at best and wasted effort at worst, and it ruins the entire point of the story(that being that it is theoretically solvable and very clearly solvable in retrospect), which if thoroughly mangled to the degree you suggest it would very much not be.
Qaenyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 13:44   Link #15557
winter 923

Of course red is a real truth. But i don't believe in a absolute truth. Not in this game, not in the real world. If we look at some closed rooms, these who had the chain locked. In EP6 we know that the first twilight was supposed to be fake, still the chain was set and nobody could enter till Gohda destroyed the chain with a tool (don't remember the english name atm) Now to the game quote [Request: 'The rooms with the six people in them are all closed ROOMS'] Acknowledged. [Of course, that's only until Gohda and the others severed the chains and destroyed the closed rooms.] Beatrice actually does say the same thing in previous episodes. Now all that we need is Gohda actually covering up that he already destroyed the chain and the red is destroyed. Is this denying red? I don't think so. I do accept the red that these were closed rooms the same as i accept that Kanon dies or just doesnt exist anymore in room x.

Why does Beatrice need the red in almost any Game to confirm that Kanon is dead? What's so important to this body for the culprit? I don't believe he is invincible, so yes he can die in a homocide like any other person. But he and Shannon do have a reason to change the name.
Old 2010-08-08, 13:45   Link #15558
LaplaceNoMa

serverwolf, I'm pretty much sure you haven't read eps 5-6. Well I doubt you read anything at all, your words look like something an anime-watcher-only would say.
LaplaceNoMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 15:02   Link #15559
serverwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
serverwolf, I'm pretty much sure you haven't read eps 5-6. Well I doubt you read anything at all, your words look like something an anime-watcher-only would say.
now i wonder why you think that. is it becuse i said smoething you dont agree with? if so can you tell me what make you think that i didn't red EP5-6 and my words look like an anime-watcher-only? i would be happy to know what exactly in my words is so incorect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter 923 View Post
Of course red is a real truth. But i don't believe in a absolute truth. Not in this game, not in the real world. If we look at some closed rooms, these who had the chain locked. In EP6 we know that the first twilight was supposed to be fake, still the chain was set and nobody could enter till Gohda destroyed the chain with a tool (don't remember the english name atm) Now to the game quote [Request: 'The rooms with the six people in them are all closed ROOMS'] Acknowledged. [Of course, that's only until Gohda and the others severed the chains and destroyed the closed rooms.] Beatrice actually does say the same thing in previous episodes. Now all that we need is Gohda actually covering up that he already destroyed the chain and the red is destroyed. Is this denying red? I don't think so. I do accept the red that these were closed rooms the same as i accept that Kanon dies or just doesnt exist anymore in room x.

Why does Beatrice need the red in almost any Game to confirm that Kanon is dead? What's so important to this body for the culprit? I don't believe he is invincible, so yes he can die in a homocide like any other person. But he and Shannon do have a reason to change the name.
first of all when i said absulote truth i ment that the red can't lie with "metaphoras" secound i said you need to take into cinsideration the time.
the red truth of 'The rooms with the six people in them are all closed ROOMS' is talking about the time before the room was opened.
... i understand what you ment about the absulote truth. i think it will be better to change the red truth to...um... red rule. sine the red truhe is the rulse for the puzzel you need to slove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Of course the Red is an absolute truth. I don't think anyone is saying it is a metaphor either. However, even if you're being told something that is true, that doesn't mean that it is not up to interpretation. For example:

Today I made juice. The fruits I used were round and red.

Now, what do you get from that? Apples? Cherries? Plums? Cranberries?

Spoiler for Answer:
? that dosnt counter what i said.
i said that the red truth is a rule that will help you to find the answer.
your riddel is like this. "today i made juice, now what is the juie i made? -it have to be round and red-"
the rule in wich the juice ingridients is that it have to be round and red, so you need to find out with thous rules what you made.

that example really dont counter what i said its actully use what i said (kinda)

anyway. you dont have to be angry from what i said, i was only talking about the people who belive that 'non red = fake' 'even red = fake'
thous people are my only "enemy" becuse they play helf heartedly the 'game' and its make me really sad to see how they ignore so many hints and concepts that ryukishi made.
i mean comeon, you realy dont understand ryukishi's felling from EP5 and EP6 with all the "the reletionship of the outher of a mystery and a reader is like a love reletionship" "without love you can see it" "i hate (or smoething) the people who dont really read my storys"?
serverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 15:23   Link #15560
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Because arc 6 tells us the following things that you seem to have completely missed.

It clearly gave us an answer for the closed rooms, this answer was then validated by Erika. That is, they faked their death.

If you had read it enough to notice that you probably wouldn't try to answer questions that does not exist.

Also, I do not mean to be rude, but your typing is beyond awful. It is well beyond the typos of fast typing errors or even grammatical error. What you write mostly hurts to read. That simply won't help you in expressing yourself if you're barely understood by the other side and discourage many from attempting to read at all.