Notices

Old 2021-12-29, 13:46   Link #1541
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
things look desperate in the US

//
I would say that not just the US, anywhere vaccination rates are below 90% (and booster shoots are a clear and present necessity). This will be remembered in history not just like another wave, but as the first tsunami of covid19.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-29, 14:11   Link #1542
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I would say that not just the US, anywhere vaccination rates are below 90% (and booster shoots are a clear and present necessity). This will be remembered in history not just like another wave, but as the first tsunami of covid19.
True - France, Italy and Spain have pretty high vaccine numbers but still their new infection cases are shooting up again.

World Vaccine Map
Quote:
57.6% of the world population has received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
9.07 billion doses have been administered globally, and 32.45 million are now administered each day.
Only 8.4% of people in low-income countries have received at least one dose.
The hoarding of vaccines by rich people/countries was always going to be the thing that led to this inequitable distribution of it all over the world, causing this wave and future ones. I'm not sure anymore at what point this is going to become an endemic. The virus is still winning the race and mostly because of human greed and stupidity.
Old 2021-12-29, 14:20   Link #1543
ramlaen

Vaccines are not being hoarded.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-29, 14:47   Link #1544
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
Vaccines are not being hoarded.
Europe sent Nigeria up to 1 million near-expired doses of covid-19 vaccine.
Old 2021-12-29, 15:10   Link #1545
ramlaen

Thank you for an example of surplus doses being donated, sadly this article tries to vilify Europeans for their generosity.
Old 2021-12-29, 20:31   Link #1546
McW
Canaan II When?

Nigeria is surely ungrateful of the donated Vaccines, even if they are near to expire and being AstraZenca /s
McW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-30, 23:38   Link #1547
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Dr. Fauci: "Important thing: Many of the children are hospitalized with Covid as opposed to because of Covid."
Old 2021-12-31, 00:04   Link #1548
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

He is merely saying that many kids are getting covid19 but are not ill enough to go to the hospital, they go because of other reason (like getting injured while playing too roughly with friends).

In layman terms, he is trying to tell parents to not overreact if at the hospital they tell them his kid has covid19, but the ones overreacting are the conservatives, who want the flimsiest of excuses to put Fauci in jail .... and hillary ... and bill gates *facepalm*
Old 2022-01-02, 13:48   Link #1549
kari-no-sugata II

Situation in London seems to be stabilising. Cases seem to have peaked. Number of patients in hospital with COVID looks close to peaking and number of patients on mechanical ventilation has barely changed. This is despite the fact that London has about the worst vaccination rate in the country. Side note, over 30% of new hospital patients with COVID are there for other reasons and this number is rising.

Overall situation in the UK is still getting worse as Omicron radiates out from London but my guess is that overall, if we look at "excess deaths" I suspect it'll have little impact and things could even improve. It'll be a few weeks before we have enough data to know for sure though.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 18:04   Link #1550
ramlaen

CDC director says over 75% of covid deaths were people with “at least four comorbidities” and were “unwell to begin with"

Sort of interesting that people have been pointing this out since the beginning but labeled conspiracy theorists or censored for spreading 'misinformation'.
Old 2022-01-10, 18:34   Link #1551
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
CDC director says over 75% of covid deaths were people with “at least four comorbidities” and were “unwell to begin with"

Sort of interesting that people have been pointing this out since the beginning but labeled conspiracy theorists or censored for spreading 'misinformation'.
Maybe you are confusing "comorbilities" with "pretty much dead already". Last year in my city the daily report always said that less than 30% of daily deaths by covid19 had no commorbilities. The big three comorbilities were: diabetes, high blood pressure and being overweight. How does this come out in the USA?

- 13.0% of all US adults had diabetes
- Nearly half of adults in the United States (47%, or 116 million) have hypertension
- The US obesity prevalence was 42.4% in 2017

The hard to grasp reality is that atm about half of the USA population is unhealthy to start with. Add old age and you get what we call "population at risk". But that does not mean that younger and healthier are immune, simply less likely; but some people think playing russian roulette is not only fun, but righteous -_-;
Old 2022-01-10, 20:03   Link #1552
kari-no-sugata II

For what it's worth, I've not seen anyone downplaying the effect of comorbidities here in the UK.

On a different note, looking at ICU data across countries the UK seems to be weathering the Omicron storm rather well. I guess the booster jabs really helped? Not sure what else it could be.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 21:11   Link #1553
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
On a different note, looking at ICU data across countries the UK seems to be weathering the Omicron storm rather well. I guess the booster jabs really helped? Not sure what else it could be.
We will know soon enough, if the real reason is omicron's comparatively lesser mortality rate, that will not last imo:

Cyprus Finds Covid-19 Infections That Combine Delta and Omicron

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ta-and-omicron
Old 2022-01-11, 06:44   Link #1554
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
We will know soon enough, if the real reason is omicron's comparatively lesser mortality rate, that will not last imo:

Cyprus Finds Covid-19 Infections That Combine Delta and Omicron

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ta-and-omicron
This was found to be a laboratory error.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-11, 06:52   Link #1555
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Finally Vacced, and my own physician even asked me if the guy who refused to vacc me on the basis of having had a cold for two weeks (that happened several months ago) was even a doctor :P.

I knew I should have just tried getting vaccine from the drug store and go to my physician -.-.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-13, 08:23   Link #1556
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Omicron surge stats from Israel, one of the earliest and most comprehensively vaxxed countries on Earth: unvaccinated are 14% of the total population and 100% of ECMO patients.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-13, 08:52   Link #1557
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

One state alone in Australia - New South Wales, had 92k new cases on the 13th. Cases per capita, that state now exceeds almost all countries for infection rates. Every state aside from Western Australia is getting smashed thanks to the federal government forcing the state borders open (which WA has resisted). States aside from New South Wales and Victoria had avoided a major spread before this.

State election in South Australia in March and federal in May. All I can say is if things are going to get bloody.
Old 2022-01-22, 08:30   Link #1558
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

A serious question, is herd immunity still possible? Given than the vaccine do a great job protecting aganst hospitalisation and death but only about 20% protection against infection (if the lasts number are right), I can't see how we could get to herd immunity or am I missing something?
Old 2022-01-23, 03:39   Link #1559
Key Board
Carbon

Seeing the reports from other countries suggest that the vaccine we have is outdated against Omikron

It seems to only be partially effective. It does a reliable job at preventing hospitalization, death and long covid, but it's less efficient at preventing infection.

What does this mean? The virus will continue to mutate. I don't know what next year will look like.

We were winning against Covid but we predictably thought it was over, or outright denied its threat.

In the future there will probably a better protection against Omikron. But we'll run into the same problem. Too late to act. Uneven distribution, griefters muddying the waters. Freedumb. Answers based on older data and the cycle repeats.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-24, 02:27   Link #1560
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=889jhetmWaE

Belgian protests up against COVID-19 restrictions.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote