Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
Spoiler for response:
Spoiler for response:
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 09:24   Link #142
R.LocK
My turn

A good male sidekick makes the story better. A lone male protagonist, surrounded only by girls... C'mon, it's not that interesting anymore.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 10:10   Link #143
darkofficer
just a devil

How is Lars broken ? Because he is a swordie ?
darkofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 11:07   Link #144
Jirachier

Spoiler for answer:
Jirachier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 11:33   Link #145
bulukan

^
you mean it`s like naruto and sasuke huh ?
bulukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 14:22   Link #146
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Spoiler for answer:
No, because that would be GENERIC by today's standards, we already have many of those ONE male that must go to girl school to do XXXXXXwhatever. It's more unique to have another male character, hell another male protagonist to serve as the "other" view would be great. Please see Fortissimo VN or Gensou no idea by 3rdeye.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 14:27   Link #147
Jirachier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
No, because that would be GENERIC by today's standards, we already have many of those ONE male that must go to girl school to do XXXXXXwhatever. It's more unique to have another male character, hell another male protagonist to serve as the "other" view would be great. Please see Fortissimo VN or Gensou no idea by 3rdeye.
I agree with you that there is too many male goes to girl school to do stuff, unfortunately THIS is the series that should've been doing it, not the other series where for absolutely no reason the male goes to an all girl school and he's the only male shown, in this series it would've been completely logical and good.
On the other hand copy/pasting the MC's traits has been done too many times and it makes the main guy a lot less of a badass because there is another dude around that is similar.
Old 2013-08-09, 14:31   Link #148
blitz1/2

Quote:
I agree with you that there is too many male goes to girl school to do stuff, unfortunately THIS is the series that should've been doing it, not the other series where for absolutely no reason the male goes to an all girl school and he's the only male shown, in this series it would've been completely logical and good.
On the other hand copy/pasting the MC's traits has been done too many times and it makes the main guy a lot less of a badass because there is another dude around that is similar.
Until they are actually carbon copies, I'll leave it open to the judges. Another badass doesn't undermine the main protagonist unless he OVERSHADOWS the main protagonist, then I would have a problem.

Old 2013-08-09, 15:03   Link #149
bludvein

I agree with the above. The whole "1 guy in an all-girls school" has been done to death. While thats not really the case in this novel, it might as well be if only the female characters are strong enough to be relevant.

Lars being strong too isn't hurting Kurou's rep in the slightest.

Anyway, I thought it was really strange for Manaka to just now notice that Kurou has a scar on his forehead. Its pretty obvious in the illustrations. Even if its somewhat hidden by his hair she has known him for a long time. Seemed a pretty weak plot device to tell the reader about it. Would've made more sense for the comment to come from Hinako or some other character he just met.

EDIT: Btw, IS has an insanely weak justification for Ichika even being there. Actually the plot as a whole is pretty generic.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 15:34   Link #150
Jirachier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
I agree with the above. The whole "1 guy in an all-girls school" has been done to death. While thats not really the case in this novel, it might as well be if only the female characters are strong enough to be relevant.

Lars being strong too isn't hurting Kurou's rep in the slightest.

Anyway, I thought it was really strange for Manaka to just now notice that Kurou has a scar on his forehead. Its pretty obvious in the illustrations. Even if its somewhat hidden by his hair she has known him for a long time. Seemed a pretty weak plot device to tell the reader about it. Would've made more sense for the comment to come from Hinako or some other character he just met.

EDIT: Btw, IS has an insanely weak justification for Ichika even being there. Actually the plot as a whole is pretty generic.
well everyone has his own opinion about how a badass should be.
But yeah one male:all girl has been overoveroverused, I keep trying to look for good Light Novels with action in them but somehow 99% of them have this scenario which ruins the plot in all of them.
Which brings me to my request, please guys stop liking all these cute girls doing cute things it's pretty much ruining any chance of getting a good LN because authors think that's all they need for success(sadly it is), I just checked the new volume of Mondaiji, a series which isn't as bad as others in this area but turns out all of the illustrations(except for the colored cover) are just girls being cute instead of showing us importants scenes of what happened in the volume.
Old 2013-08-09, 15:58   Link #151
blitz1/2

Quote:
well everyone has his own opinion about how a badass should be.
But yeah one male:all girl has been overoveroverused, I keep trying to look for good Light Novels with action in them but somehow 99% of them have this scenario which ruins the plot in all of them.
Which brings me to my request, please guys stop liking all these cute girls doing cute things it's pretty much ruining any chance of getting a good LN because authors think that's all they need for success(sadly it is), I just checked the new volume of Mondaiji, a series which isn't as bad as others in this area but turns out all of the illustrations(except for the colored cover) are just girls being cute instead of showing us importants scenes of what happened in the volume.
I just want a dark plot where the characters fall into despair (but not to the point of grimderp where it is dark without purpose)

Old 2013-08-10, 10:18   Link #152
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Saw the minor update and I was hoping we would get know who is this "Bastard" Kurou and Manaka was talking about, but it still unknown.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 12:04   Link #153
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike211 View Post
Saw the minor update and I was hoping we would get know who is this "Bastard" Kurou and Manaka was talking about, but it still unknown.
Huh? The only 2 people that Kurou knows from school are Sefi & Lars, and he has complete confidence on winning over Sefi every time, so "it can be her". Also, we just learned that Lars is also from a prominent family so he might have had advanced training.

Also, Hinako doesn't seem to be "part of the school", so she isn't going to be in the tournament so it can't be her, thus the only other option besides Lars is the assassin, but we don't even if the assassin is a part of the school or not; so it's unlikely as well.
Old 2013-08-10, 23:14   Link #154
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Umm I don't know, I also have thought it was Lars, but I sort of got the feeling it a 3rd person they are taking about.
Also we really don't know if Kurou knews other people in that school or not, unless you have read the raw.

Quote:
“Definitely attaining victory, something like that cannot be said for certain because————that bastard will also be there.”
If it really Lar, they are talking about, then Lar must be a rare breed since male Swordies is suppose to be a inferior and much more less powerful then female.
In that quote it sound like that "Bastard" have skills that even Kurou the disciple of Sword Saint would have trouble.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
Old 2013-08-10, 23:36   Link #155
Hiyono

I'm sorry, are we pretending we didn't see any of the above spoilers about Lars? Because I'm confused.
Hiyono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 01:31   Link #156
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

LOL, yes I have completely forgotten about the spoilers about Lars. Silly me.

I imagine there would be more male then just Kurou and Lar who have unparalleled sword skills.

Old 2013-08-11, 03:00   Link #157
bludvein

So im understanding this right, even if a male swordie is born strong they are still screwed over by superstition? Wow, that really sucks.

Freya is kind of a dumbass btw. She doesn't even realize she is practically dissing herself considering she would fall into that "weak" category she was talking about. At least compared to Kurou. Talk about an ego-trip.
Old 2013-08-11, 03:47   Link #158
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

No it not superstition, it a fact that male swordie tend to be weaker then girl swordie but as spoiler stated there are rare occasion when male swordie are stronger. eg Lar.

Old 2013-08-11, 03:51   Link #159
bludvein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike211 View Post
No it not superstition, it a fact that male swordie tend to be weaker then girl swordie but as spoiler stated there are rare occasion when male swordie are stronger. eg Lar.
If you read the update you would know that's not what im talking about. Strong male swordies are said to have demonic essense or whatever. So they are still discriminated against.
Old 2013-08-11, 05:16   Link #160
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Oh, I just read the minor update and I see what you meant by demonic essense.

it could mean, strong male win against girl = girl fell in love with his sword = REPEAT = Strong male gain a harem = other swordie blame strong male having demonic essense and gaining a herem.

Tags
fantasy, harem, mf bunko j