Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-01-15, 00:02   Link #141
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
What about Apple Safari?
Safari is, as far as I understand, does not natively support H.264 in any strict means.

You can check by deleting Quicktime and try view HTML5 movie encoded by H.264. You will realize Safari needs this Quicktime "plug-in" to watch HTML5 <video>.

It is actually a big lie from Apple, since one of very basic reasons we are going for HTML5 <video> is to abandon terrible plug-in problems.

Very funny thing is, right now, there are far more people who can play Theora natively as in HTML5 than H.264 thanks to Firefox's 20%+ market share, despite the fact that there are really few people who ever heard Theora (even in this forum, I assume)
Old 2011-01-15, 00:28   Link #142
Suomi
Kaiba

I hate IE. Period. It sucks badly >.<

Firefox is the best, it's my favorite.

Chrome is slow and a bit hard to navigate, but I use it when necessary or when Firefox is being annoying.

I used to use Opera sometimes but I don't remember liking or disliking it.

I don't like apple computers, that includes Safari.
Old 2011-01-19, 09:50   Link #143
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I use Safari exclusively since Google decided to be stupid and ditch H264 for the inferior WebM that has hardly any support. Just recently I installed the Xiph plugin so I get Theora support (practically any webkit browser on Mac OS X can use other Quicktime plugins for HTML5).

Still use Firefox/Opera on Windows when I use Bootcamp since I don't really use it that much besides basic browsing when I play computer games.
Old 2011-01-21, 19:39   Link #144
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Looks one of my earlier problems (recently addressed in this thread) found its resolution today, much to my relief and satisfaction - and the cause was at the antipodes of what I thought it'd be. The 'load by half then lag' issue with FF appears to have been caused by my dying PCI wifi adapter (whose central box was slightly - and quite unnervingly - swollen when I withdrew it from the PCI slot), which has been giving me grief for the past few weeks - from BSODs to uniformly skewered page rendering (for Yahoo and MSN) on all THREE browsers (Opera, IE, FF). I was quite surprised at the amount of mayhem an old wifi card could cause, to be honest...but it appears that everything has been straightened out, now that I've swapped the smoking piece of scrap with a newer Linksys 802.11n model.

I'll just have to see what other (crashes, maybe? it certainly caused BSODs and screen freezes whenever I remotely instructed my wifi router to power cycle) problems could've been caused by the faulty piece of hardware. That'll teach me to think that every software issue on my PC can only be caused by poor programming, incompatibilities and other software-related factors.

BTW, anyone got suggestions for Android browsers, aside from Opera Mini, Skyfire (a must-have if you're stuck with 2.1 Eclair and thus can't enjoy Flash support...and you can't flash the ROM in order to not lose the guarantee, either) and Dolphin HD? (currently using DHD)

Last edited by Renegade334; 2011-01-21 at 19:56.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 15:22   Link #145
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It's a good thing firefox 4 will have an option to keep the menu bar. The trend towards getting rid of it is pretty annoying. (It seemed to have gotten very popular with office 2007 with its asinine interface) I mean looking more like IE is not something I'm into. The thing is by having the menu as one button is that it takes longer to reach your list of bookmarks. What's the quickest way to reach the bookmarks menu in Opera 11 anyways? Currently I just use the bookmarks bar with icons only which works well enough but usually I have a bunch of less important bookmarks that I like to sort through.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 17:06   Link #146
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I use Safari exclusively since Google decided to be stupid and ditch H264 for the inferior WebM that has hardly any support. Just recently I installed the Xiph plugin so I get Theora support (practically any webkit browser on Mac OS X can use other Quicktime plugins for HTML5).

Still use Firefox/Opera on Windows when I use Bootcamp since I don't really use it that much besides basic browsing when I play computer games.
The Not So Evil Google decided it didn't want to pay the H264 licensing fees... and I've never even heard of WebM before that announcement was made!

I still use Firefox, but I liked the Chrome to Phone functionality. Fortunately, Firefox Sync works basically the same way, and hopefully Fennec will be ready for primetime soon... the beta still crashes like mad on my phone.

I wish I could get Opera Mobile 10 working on my phone, but it is also rather crashy (which makes sense as it's still a beta, too).
Old 2011-01-25, 19:58   Link #147
monster

So apparently Mozilla will speed up development of Firefox and people can expect to see Firefox 5.0 a few months after the release of 4.0, which is due by the end of February. It's probably a response to Chrome's development cycle, but I hope Mozilla knows what they're doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
The thing is by having the menu as one button is that it takes longer to reach your list of bookmarks.
The fastest way to access a bookmark is by using a bookmarks bar, either with the regular bar or a sidebar.

I use a sidebar in both Internet Explorer and Firefox, and a regular bookmarks bar in Chrome and I can access all my favorites/bookmarks in all three browsers quickly without needing a menu bar.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 12:40   Link #148
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Bookmarks bar is fine for the most important favorites, but I have quite a few.

I never liked the sidebar as I hate expanding tree menus where you click and it expands. I should just be able to mouseover a folder to see its contents. In an ideal world, I'd just want a separate bookmarks button menu that's separate from the menu. Like (Yikes) IE, but without the tree crap.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 18:51   Link #149
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I never liked the sidebar as I hate expanding tree menus where you click and it expands. I should just be able to mouseover a folder to see its contents. In an ideal world, I'd just want a separate bookmarks button menu that's separate from the menu. Like (Yikes) IE, but without the tree crap.
I don't use folders in Internet Explorer (even deteled the Favorites Bar folder) and I only use an opened Bookmarks Menu folder in Firefox. So I don't have to expand anything in both browsers. All my favorites/bookmarks are visible at all times.
Old 2011-01-27, 08:38   Link #150
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Opera 11.01 Build 1190 is out.

Spoiler for changelog:
Old 2011-01-27, 08:45   Link #151
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
- Removed the close button on tabs that are not selected
LOLFTW That's a really stupid change...
Old 2011-01-27, 09:08   Link #152
sneaker

I still get close buttons on all tabs. Or what's the definition of "not selected"?
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 10:07   Link #153
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Same here. Maybe it's for non-windows operating systems.
Old 2011-01-29, 02:45   Link #154
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
So apparently Mozilla will speed up development of Firefox and people can expect to see Firefox 5.0 a few months after the release of 4.0, which is due by the end of February.
I believe his quote is being misinterpreted. He was trying to say that some blockers could wait for a Firefox 4 point release, which could appear in a few months, or even wait for Firefox 5. In other words, release Firefox 4.0 now with a few outstanding blockers. In a few months Mozilla could push out a Firefox 4 point release fixing most important blockers they skipped. Other blockers could just be pushed out to Firefox 5. They want to increase the release frequency of official builds containing fixes and improvements, not necessarily the speed of Firefox 5 development.
Old 2011-01-29, 03:03   Link #155
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
I believe his quote is being misinterpreted. He was trying to say that some blockers could wait for a Firefox 4 point release, which could appear in a few months, or even wait for Firefox 5. In other words, release Firefox 4.0 now with a few outstanding blockers. In a few months Mozilla could push out a Firefox 4 point release fixing most important blockers they skipped. Other blockers could just be pushed out to Firefox 5. They want to increase the release frequency of official builds containing fixes and improvements, not necessarily the speed of Firefox 5 development.
In terms of Firefox 5, I believe this is the relevant quote:
Quote:
Cast a colder eye on your blockers. Some of them can wait for a dot release or Firefox 5 that I do believe will be only months after 4 comes out. We are going to a fast release cycle. It serves our users better. To do that we have to get this touch and go done with Firefox 4.
Old 2011-01-29, 03:09   Link #156
cyberbeing

Yep, that was the quote I was referring to in my post.
Old 2011-01-29, 03:14   Link #157
monster

Well, from that quote, he does seem to imply that we might see version 5 only months after the release of 4, which would be a much faster release than 4 has been. Of course that doesn't mean there won't be any point release before that.
Old 2011-01-29, 03:29   Link #158
cyberbeing

First you need to consider the context. Firefox 4 release is late. It keeps being delayed by blocking bugs which need fixing. He saying to forget about fixing those bugs, so they can get Firefox 4 out the door. Some bugs could get fixed in a Firefox 4 point release, others in Firefox 5 (very normal for Mozilla to do this).

The next problem was he basically combined two separate thoughts into a single sentence, which led to confusion.

It should read like:
Some of them can wait for a dot release or Firefox 5. I believe we can fix more blockers and push out a new build in a few months. We are going to a fast release cycle.

Mozilla has usually taken a year to release even dot releases of Firefox. Now he is suggesting releasing a dot release in a few months. That would be considered a fast release cycle for Mozilla.
Old 2011-01-29, 03:45   Link #159
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
The next problem was he basically combined two separate thoughts into a single sentence, which led to confusion.

It should read like:
Some of them can wait for a dot release or Firefox 5. I believe we can fix more blockers and push out a new build in a few months. We are going to a fast release cycle.
That's one possible interpretation, but not the only one.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but the way that particular sentence was written, it has an equal or better chance of talking about version 5 being released months after 4 rather than a point release.

At least, that looks to be the plan. There could still be problems and we might just get a point release anyway.

As for the context, I believe we can both agree that they're trying to have a faster release cycle, be it a point or a whole number release.
Old 2011-01-29, 04:33   Link #160
cyberbeing

I would normally be all for the easy interpenetration if it wasn't for the fact that Firefox 5 doesn't even exist yet. No code branch, no concept, no nothing. Combine that with Mozilla's slow release schedule of the past, and you'll see why releasing a major version of in a 'few months' is completely unrealistic and impossible. Beta testing alone takes a few months.

Code:
Firefox 1.0		November 9, 2004
Firefox 1.5 Beta 1	September 9, 2005
Firefox 1.5		November 29, 2005
Firefox 2.0 Beta 1	July 12, 2006
Firefox 2.0		October 24, 2006
Firefox 3.0 Beta 1	November 19, 2007
Firefox 3.0		June 17, 2008
Firefox 3.5 Beta 1	October 14, 2008
Firefox 3.5		June 30, 2009
Firefox 3.6 Beta 1	October 30, 2009
Firefox 3.6		January 21, 2010
Firefox 4.0 Beta 1	July 6, 2010
Firefox 4.0		Hopefully February 2011
You can't magically turn 2-4 years of development time into few months. Just expect something like Firefox 4.1 in a few months, which alone would be 4x faster than normal.

If they decide to rename Firefox 4.1 as Firefox 5 with no new features or design, so be it. A new major version every few months?!?! We would have Firefox 8 by the end of 2011.

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews