AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2015-05-03, 01:30   Link #141
The 48th Ronin

I don't know if its just me, but my gut feeling says a Great Purge is coming in the DxD subforum soon.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-03, 12:54   Link #142
Relthenar

I don't usually respond to the forums, but just a note. Whether there is another season of any anime is based on sales of the DVDs in Japan. Also, the vast majority of the fans in Japan are also fans of the Light Novels. (Highschool DxD has been one of the best selling Light Novel series in Japan) So they are going to be the ones that are severely disappointed in the fact that the studio changed the flow of the story line and most likely will not buy the dvd/blue rays over there. This in turn will cause no more seasons to be created. So saying that they are only setting up for season 4 is absolutely stupid.

Also, in almost every case of an anime where the studio took severe liberties with the story line as was done this season, it becomes the last season. 3 examples. Rosario x Vampire, Sekirei, and Campione. In all 3 the studios make vast changes to the story line away from the source material and the series never got another season even though there was still a lot more source material to use.

P.S. Someone also said that LN 9 and LN 10 were connected LNs. That is incorrect. 9 and 10 can stand alone. It is 11 and 12 that are connected.
Relthenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-03, 13:23   Link #143
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

^Except sales are looking good so far, and fan reaction has been extremely positive.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-03, 13:26   Link #144
DragoMuseveni
True Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relthenar View Post
I don't usually respond to the forums, but just a note. Whether there is another season of any anime is based on sales of the DVDs in Japan. Also, the vast majority of the fans in Japan are also fans of the Light Novels. (Highschool DxD has been one of the best selling Light Novel series in Japan) So they are going to be the ones that are severely disappointed in the fact that the studio changed the flow of the story line and most likely will not buy the dvd/blue rays over there. This in turn will cause no more seasons to be created. So saying that they are only setting up for season 4 is absolutely stupid.

Also, in almost every case of an anime where the studio took severe liberties with the story line as was done this season, it becomes the last season. 3 examples. Rosario x Vampire, Sekirei, and Campione. In all 3 the studios make vast changes to the story line away from the source material and the series never got another season even though there was still a lot more source material to use.

P.S. Someone also said that LN 9 and LN 10 were connected LNs. That is incorrect. 9 and 10 can stand alone. It is 11 and 12 that are connected.
Last phrase i did not understand it

And to sumarise , have you looked on the pre order till now? Well just look

On a side note volume 6 will be adapted without cutting mixing or something else
Old 2015-05-03, 13:34   Link #145
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relthenar View Post
V9 doesn't need V10, true, it could make a good finale even, but if they did a Season 4 like: Extra Life from V8 > V9 > V10 it'd be the best season possible.

TNK doesn't have the staff to make a 2 cour, so if they separated V9 from V10, Season 5 would end in V11, and that would be the dickest move among dick moves this series can have.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-03, 17:24   Link #146
MV5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiryuushintei View Post
V9 doesn't need V10, true, it could make a good finale even, but if they did a Season 4 like: Extra Life from V8 > V9 > V10 it'd be the best season possible.

TNK doesn't have the staff to make a 2 cour, so if they separated V9 from V10, Season 5 would end in V11, and that would be the dickest move among dick moves this series can have.
>Extra Life from V8 > V9 > V10 it'd be the best season possible.

This right here. Volume 10 makes for a better ending for season 4 rather than 9, in my opinion. Main reason TNK decided to condense this season with 3 volumes instead of two.
MV5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-04, 06:17   Link #147
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey Pyro View Post
^Except sales are looking good so far, and fan reaction has been extremely positive.
I haven't heard not a single good word about Born from any LN reader I know. Also, 1st BD will be released 2015.7.24 so we have to wait to judge how Japan fans reacted to all this changes in anime.

Last edited by Sacredus; 2015-05-04 at 06:27.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-04, 06:44   Link #148
MV5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
Also, 1st BD will be released 2015.7.24 so we have to wait to judge how Japan fans reacted to all this changes in anime.
That's what he meant by fan reaction. On twitter if you use #Haremking or if you just google it, you will see in real time their reactions about the episode currently airing. Now there is the occasional disappointment post when a scene/event is cut out, but overall the changes have been accepted and the feedback had been good.
MV5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-04, 07:48   Link #149
XFire
150% done

Quote:
I haven't heard not a single good word about Born from any LN reader I know. Also, 1st BD will be released 2015.7.24 so we have to wait to judge how Japan fans reacted to all this changes in anime.
Except that English LN readers don't even register as part of the fan base in regards to how "successful" the anime is. After all, we don't pay for any of it.
Old 2015-05-04, 08:21   Link #150
Archilla

Again, we're not really the main market. This anime is quite popular with regular viewers.
Archilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-04, 08:58   Link #151
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Fan reception in Japan, where it actually matters. I read the LN and have no issue with it. Ironically all the butthurt is from Western fans.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-04, 10:21   Link #152
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
I guess Western fans got too serious on this series... Still, I want Highschool DxD BorN did better!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-10, 18:15   Link #153
Relthenar

I just recently went back and re-watched the sub versions of season 1 and season 2 (I have the dubbed versions also, just wanted to compare them with season 3 subbed) The main thing I noticed was that in seasons 1 and 2 the flow of the story was a lot more smooth and in season 3. I am not talking about how they used the material or how close it is to the LNs. I am talking about how it flows from one episode to the next. It is very disjointed. I personally believe that is because of all the extra stuff they put in and the re-ordering of the story line like they did. Not enough attention was given to how the story flowed.

My best guess is that while the original LNs had an editor making sure that the story flowed, this wasn't as big an importance to TNK. They wanted more show and less story. And even though the original author "approved" this, that doesn't mean that it was edited correctly like the LNs. I think this may possibly be why a lot of the fans of the LNs aren't taking to this season as much.

To give an example, in season 2, we have the 2 stories, The Excalibur arc and then the First Chaos Brigade story. While there were additional nuggets in each, for the most part it went through it and was done, and it flowed through it smoothly.

In Season 3, because they changed the story line, you got part of the Loki arc at the beginning and you think it should be over several times, but they keep going back to it. Then you got mixed in the Astaroth Arc which while it was smoother than the Loki part, it still wasn't smoothly done.

Also the ecchi parts seemed a lot more forced than in season 1 and 2. That starts with the "dream" sequence in episode 1. While I didn't mind it, it didn't seem to have anything to do with anything in the season so far, even though everyone knows it was the beginning of them handling Issei's trauma caused by Reynare. The only ecchi scene I find that is smooth is the part when Issei (and Rias and Asia) find Koneko under the covers. Everything else is no where as smooth or fun as in the first 2 seasons.

Now we still have the totally "new" content that they are covering in episodes 10,11,12 about Loki's curse (which again makes absolutely no sense as it does not move the overall story along in anyway). So again it is completely disjointed from the rest of the season. No matter how you want to sell it. Either as NTR (which it definitely isn't) or as "fixing" the story line, which IMO is breaking it worse than anything in the LNs ever was.

This is why I pray that people are right and the Japan public buys this enough to justify a 4th season. Though again personally, I feel it is going to be a huge flop and going to fall to short to justify a new season.
Relthenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-10, 19:08   Link #154
G147

To me this Season is the same as the previous 2. The previous 2 seasons also had all those rearranging and changing of details. It's whether or not you want to accept it or you don't want to.
Back with the previous 2 seasons, TNK was also doing the same. The FA trio, introducing the Student Council earlier, changing the method how Ise thought of and trained the Dress Break. In fact, just in the previous season itself, the final fight between Issei and Vali while it was fun to watch, it was also undoubtedly forced. They had the leaders watching, are you seriously saying none of the leaders, especially Sirzechs, could interfere in that battle between Ise and Vali.
G147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-10, 20:10   Link #155
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by G147 View Post
To me this Season is the same as the previous 2. The previous 2 seasons also had all those rearranging and changing of details. It's whether or not you want to accept it or you don't want to.
Back with the previous 2 seasons, TNK was also doing the same. The FA trio, introducing the Student Council earlier, changing the method how Ise thought of and trained the Dress Break. In fact, just in the previous season itself, the final fight between Issei and Vali while it was fun to watch, it was also undoubtedly forced. They had the leaders watching, are you seriously saying none of the leaders, especially Sirzechs, could interfere in that battle between Ise and Vali.
He probably could, but leaders never interfere in any of the major ORC fights even in the LN. He probably also wanted to see how his future brother-in-law dealed with a much stronger opponent.

Personally, aside from the way they handled Akeno's development, I'm really satisfied with this season. They made Loki into an actual villain at the expense of the RG which was really boring except for the Saji scene and Bilingual, and since the former got a buff in strenght and the latter still got an amusing introduction, I don't really have any complaints about the removal.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-10, 21:37   Link #156
XFire
150% done

After watching everything up to this point, I think I've isolated what I love and hate about this season. Fair warning, I've tried to avoid reference to anything not already shown in the anime, but it does involve refernces to the original, so if you haven't read it, tread carefully.

WHY I HATE IT

It's anime original. It twists several things that I was expecting, and removes others entirely. I also feel there's several parts it failed to represent the original material correctly.
  • Saji lost his entire character arc here. Volume five was what changed Saji from a weaker, less pervy version of Ise and into his own character.
  • The Rating Game is gone. The loss (we all know what I mean) here really added something to the series, and I miss that part even though I hated the fact that Ise went down
  • Fenrir was horrifically powerful and dangerous in the novels, while here he's.....meh. Not sure why Vali wanted him here.
  • TANIN. The screwed our Dragon-Ossan so badly here. He was one of the best characters in the show, and they threw him under the bus
  • And the giant pulsing sore that is a nearly irredeemable failure? Akeno's arc. They brought it up and concluded it almost instantly, ruined the drama between her and her father, and destroyed the use of Bilingual. GrrrrRAAAAGHHH. *ahem* Anyway, that part I'm pretending didn't happen.

WHY I LOVE IT

It's anime original.

Don't look at me like that.

In all seriousness, the series has done several things right that the novel struggled with.
  • Foreshadowing. The series actually built up the other threats besides Loki before we saw them, much like they showed Azazel before revealing him. In the novel, his intro and reveal are simultaneous.
  • Flow. The anime isn't obviously divided into separate novels. The studio went to great lengths to intertwine the story threads, and they did a fine job at it.
  • They are actually dealing with Rias and Ises doubts about each other. This just kind of came out of nowhere in the novel in volume 10, so it's good to seee them actually confronting it here. Of course, now I'm worried that they'll do the event that happens at the end of volume ten now, which would require the release of several rapid dragons on the writing staff.
  • The anime has done a wonderful job visualizing some of the things we never saw in the novel illustrations. Loki looked dumb, sure, but the fight was awesome and Mjonlir stole the show. Of course, what I'm really talking about is Juggernaut Drive. This was FANTASTIC. The power, speed, and sheer ferocity of JD really came across here. And they saved it from it's one true flaw: THAT STUPID F***ING SONG!! They gave it a legitimate conclusion and an adequate amount of drama for the situation. I nearly cheered while watching it.
Old 2015-06-11, 08:26   Link #157
Weather
Wonder Wind

Quote:
The Rating Game is gone. The loss (we all know what I mean) here really added something to the series, and I miss that part even though I hated the fact that Ise went down
Does that part really matter that much?, I can just imagine the shitstorm if that was animated, and honestly while I miss Saji's development, that fight was utter bullshit in general, and we all know that.

Quote:
Fenrir was horrifically powerful and dangerous in the novels, while here he's.....meh. Not sure why Vali wanted him here.
It was the same in the LN XFire, Fenrir didn't do anything important there, is just that Issei's internal monologues made him look better in the LN.

Quote:
TANIN. The screwed our Dragon-Ossan so badly here. He was one of the best characters in the show, and they threw him under the bus.

And the giant pulsing sore that is a nearly irredeemable failure? Akeno's arc. They brought it up and concluded it almost instantly, ruined the drama between her and her father, and destroyed the use of Bilingual. GrrrrRAAAAGHHH. *ahem* Anyway, that part I'm pretending didn't happen.
I will agree here.

Quote:
Foreshadowing. The series actually built up the other threats besides Loki before we saw them, much like they showed Azazel before revealing him. In the novel, his intro and reveal are simultaneous.

Flow. The anime isn't obviously divided into separate novels. The studio went to great lengths to intertwine the story threads, and they did a fine job at it.

They are actually dealing with Rias and Ises doubts about each other. This just kind of came out of nowhere in the novel in volume 10, so it's good to seee them actually confronting it here. Of course, now I'm worried that they'll do the event that happens at the end of volume ten now, which would require the release of several rapid dragons on the writing staff.

The anime has done a wonderful job visualizing some of the things we never saw in the novel illustrations. Loki looked dumb, sure, but the fight was awesome and Mjonlir stole the show. Of course, what I'm really talking about is Juggernaut Drive. This was FANTASTIC. The power, speed, and sheer ferocity of JD really came across here. And they saved it from it's one true flaw: THAT STUPID F***ING SONG!! They gave it a legitimate conclusion and an adequate amount of drama for the situation. I nearly cheered while watching it.
THIS x100 Boosto

Respect the Earth! If not... Who knows? You might get cursed... heh heh~
Weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-11, 10:54   Link #158
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather View Post
Does that part really matter that much?, I can just imagine the shitstorm if that was animated, and honestly while I miss Saji's development, that fight was utter bullshit in general, and we all know that.
No, that fight highlighted the real weakness of the Gremory Group (their over-reliance on power), and their admittedly humiliating performance here is the reason they survive their encounter with the Hero Faction. Because it basically a wake-up call that their power can and will be countered if they try to Dragon Ball their way through fights. It's also the start of Rias' complex about holding back the others, which in turn led to her complex about Ise.

Oh, and this was originally where Akeno (without dealing with her trauma) used Holy Lightning because Ise goes down and she loses her shit. And Koneko starts to ease herself into her own powers, albeit only sensing at first.

Quote:
It was the same in the LN XFire, Fenrir didn't do anything important there, is just that Issei's internal monologues made him look better in the LN.
He beat the utter shit out of everyone, dominating the entire fight. He was the threat, not Loki. Mjonlir and the chains (can't remember their name) were all there to deal with Fenrir, not Loki. Hell, they ranked him with the Two Heavenly Dragons before binding him.

He nearly killed Ise, ripped Vali apart, matched Juggernaut Drive, and was the only reason Odin and Sirzechs didn't just step on Loki like a bug. Because fenrir would have killed them. You could actually tell why Vali wanted him in the novel.

Quote:
I will agree here.

THIS x100 Boosto
Old 2015-06-15, 08:12   Link #159
Biohazardous

Lol at the "THIS x100 Boosto"
Old 2015-06-16, 08:16   Link #160
reinastar
Corrupted Yandere ~^_^~

I really hope that Evil Rias Onee-Sama stay evil ^_^~