AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-05-11, 05:31   Link #141
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

why oh why do they have to CG this? As much as I love Vandread it better not look like that.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 06:20   Link #142
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

The CG does look weird in a way. Somehow I couldn't connect it with the erstwhile hulking, hunched shape that Eva-01 once offered. Somehow I find it too tall, too thin, too spindly...although, yeah, Unit 01 was anoxeric-looking already - enough to make Kate Moss blush - though not that much. It's probably the body proportions that mess up with the overall, original look. Anyway, it's not the first thing they seem to have botched somewhat.

Just looking at the new versions of the SEELE and NERV logos has me weeping for bygone times and screaming "oh the sacrilege!"

Anyway, on the topic of Kaworu, he might appear shortly before
Spoiler for spoiler for manga vol.09 and onwards:
Old 2007-05-11, 06:25   Link #143
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Spoiler:
You know, seeing as though this is going to be a retelling --- Kaworu could appear near the start for all we know. The manga route is probably the best idea, though they could do anything at this point.
Old 2007-05-11, 07:20   Link #144
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
The CG does look weird in a way. Somehow I couldn't connect it with the erstwhile hulking, hunched shape that Eva-01 once offered. Somehow I find it too tall, too thin, too spindly...although, yeah, Unit 01 was anoxeric-looking already - enough to make Kate Moss blush - though not that much. It's probably the body proportions that mess up with the overall, original look. Anyway, it's not the first thing they seem to have botched somewhat.

Just looking at the new versions of the SEELE and NERV logos has me weeping for bygone times and screaming "oh the sacrilege!"

Spoiler for spoiler for manga vol.09 and onwards:
All is not right with the world, Satan is now now our God more like it EWWW GROSS
Old 2007-05-11, 14:28   Link #145
Dynzel
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

Quote:

Not that I care for the SEELE logo but wtf @ NERV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
For those of you interested in seeing a clear shot of the "new" Eva Unit 01 for the movie, click the spoiler.

Spoiler for Click for picture:

This was from the last issue of Hobby Japan, among other shots of it.
I gotta ask--why did they bother changing that one mid-section area of EVA-01 to green?... I hope they don't think that's supposed to make it cool[er]. Lol.

Either way, I kind of dread yet anticipate the movie releases. Cheers!
Dynzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 22:51   Link #146
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
The new SEELE logo makes it look more official, as if it might not be an ultra-secret organization anymore but something else altogether. I've also seen a version of the new NERV logo where it was just the apple, so let's hope this isn't the final version.

Maybe this green just worked better with the CG, or plays some part in the movie itself... anything's possible.
Old 2007-05-12, 08:54   Link #147
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
I also believe they'll insert the now-officially 'canon' data implemented in the NGE 2 game, where the origins of Adam and Lilith are explained, and what exactly the Angels seek...
Wait, that's explained on that game? By any chance, would you know a site where I can find that info?
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 09:38   Link #148
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Err...Wikipedia is your friend...but if you want thorough information on the game, then I guess this link might satiate your deepest thirst(s).

Warning: as you can imagine, this has the nearly ultimate spoilers on the series, as the game was supposed to explain the remaining mysteries of the NGE plot (universe-wise, I suppose - not necessarily about the character interactions).
Old 2007-05-12, 09:47   Link #149
Kisuke06
I see...

^ Thank you so much! *saves*
Old 2007-05-15, 02:01   Link #150
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Here is my personal gess of what we will see in new evengelion rebuild given from the little information that we have. Because of that it can't be treated too seriously as it is mainly just shooting in the dar with having one's eyes closed, but still...

As we all know, The title for the new film series is "Evangelion Shin Gekijou Ban", it will consist of 4 parts (First volume, Second part, Latter part and Final story) with the first part arriving in Japanese theaters in early summer, 2007.

The scenario of the 1st part will be written by Hideaki Anno with storyboard by Shinji Higuchi.

According to that information: -The content is quite different though the time base of the story is the same as the original TV series. - It will be a remake, however, it is not a re-creation but a "new work". - There will apparantly be a large amount of new material.

The cover illustration featuring characters Ayanami Rei and Nagisa Kaworu is by Shunji Suzuki. Suzuki had worked on the Shin Seiki Evangelion TV series as chief animator and on the End Of Evangelion movie as an animation director. Although not officially connected by name to the new project as yet, his image appearing on the Newtype cover would suggest involvement.

Images released so far depict Rei Ayanami in observably more provacative and animated moods than before. How will she change? The silent and submissively naturered character with her trademark blue hair and style made her an all time fan favorite of otaku everywhere, catapulting her to the top of the monthly Animage character poll for many, many issues.

The Newtype cover image featuring Rei and Kaworu symbolizes the new movie project. Japanese fans have questioned whether this is a hint at Rei And Kaworu's possibly being at the center of the new story or getting expanded focus in the course of the story of the films.

First off they mention the original 3 Eva films made 4.5 billion Yen in total at the Japanese boxoffice. The manga published by Kadokawa Shoten has exceeded 15 million copies sold over the existing 10 volumes. Videos and DVD's sold exceed 4.5 million copies and about 30 billion Yen. Total goods sales exceeds 100 billion Yen.

While the overall project is being called "Evangelion Shin Gekijou Ban" as mentioned in Newtype, the individual films are being titled "REBUILD OF EVANGELION".

The First Volume, REBUILD OF EVANGELION:01 is due out in early summer 2007 it will have an estimated running time of 90 minutes.

The Second Part, REBUILD OF EVANGELION:02 is expected in January 2008, also with a running time of 90 minutes.

The Latter Part + Last Program of the series, REBUILD OF EVANGELION:03-04 are expected in early summer (possibly June) of 2008, they will have an estimated length of 45 minutes each. 3rd part (Latter Part) (which corresponds to the events of the movies and episodes 25 and 26 of the TV series) and the 4th "Last Program" will be mostly new stories and material.

Parts 1-3 will use some key animation sequences from the original TV series, with new backgrounds (settings) and music. Shinji Higuchi is confirmed on the project and has already completed a new story board for the 1st film. A good deal of 3DCG animation will be implemented. The total economic effect of the 4 new Evangelion films is estimated at around 100 billion Yen or more.

So what would be mine comments and guessing about the things that wait for us in the future?

My guess is that while Rei and Kaworu will get more screen time - Asuka's and Misato's screentime will be reduced.

Think about

1-6 episodes - 90 Minutes

7-24 episodes - 90 Minutes

25-26 episodes and Movies - 45 Minutes

"Last Program", basically a new content and ending - 45 Minutes

So while first movie will be relatively slow paced, without chopping out too many scenes from characters and adding new ones (I hope it will be Rei more, rather than Kaworu), the second movie will be kind of ugh.

In the second movie's 90 minutes they will have to fit in Asuka's scenes, Touji's scenes and so on. Basically freaking 17 episodes (though I can guess that such episodes like 7th will be ignored in total). Thus characters there will get less screentime and it will be more plot-centric.

So, characters taht are presented there and that should have the most screen time there originally will be much more shallow than the ones taht have key moments in the first movie, as time limit simply wont allow you to center on these cherecters (other than Shinji, who's character is combined with general plot).

And also, remember that the new character(s) should be introduced there as well. Means that more scenes should be chopped down from the original. I mean, not oly they will have to fit freaking 17 episodes into 90 minutes (whike the first will have 6 epsiodes to fit 90 minutes) but also have ADDITIONAL time for new character... Can you imagine that?

Personally, I cannot. At least I cannot imagine that characters, that will be presented in such a rush mode will be important ones and would have the same depth as the ones that will be presented in the first movie. Come one, Asuka's synch training, Toujis death/injury, Shinji running away, Shinji being swallowed by his own EVA, New eva character, Kajis death, Misato's depression, Asuka's Mindrape, Rei II Death, Kaworus death, Asuka's attempt on suicide, Shinji's fall, Gendo vs SEELE - and all that in 90 minutes... I seriously doubt that they would have time for going deeper into the characters if its not connected with most general plot there.

Thus my guess is - quite a big part of Asuka's scenes will be taken out, episodes like 7th or 13th will be ignored in general, there will be no A/S (there will be no time for that) except few comical relief scenes like in Sadamoto's manga, the new character will become shalllow due to the little time he/she would get. Or maybe they will make new charcter have more screen time, but reduce Asuka's screen time even more, also taking out quite a few scenes of Misato and Ritsuko.

I really would wish that the last two movies would be 90 minutes each instead of 45, and that would let them actually go in slower pace in second movie. But if nothing changes we will get quite a butchery in the second movie.

As a result -

Rei-fans will be happy (she will get more time). R/S fans will be pleased as it might get new scenes between the two. Unlesss Kaworu will be really greedy and take a lot of screentime.

Shinji-fans will be so-so (there arent all taht many Shinji fans really)

Kaworu-fans will be happy (if nothing changes he will have a major increase in his screen time, which I hope will never happen, but most likely it will)

Asuka-fans - will be sad as she will be reduced to something shallow, similar to Sadamoto's manga's blond bimbo (aka Asuka). Oh and A/S shippers will be extremely unhappy (my guess is taht it will be almsot totally ignored, due to little time they will have to fit in, except few short comical scenes now and there).

Misato's fans will be...I don't know. It depends on how they will treat Asuka and the new charcater, if both of them will have little screen time and turn into filler-in characters, then Misato might have some additional scenes boost, but otherwise her scren time will be reduced.

Ritsuko-fans - unhappy, as her screen time will be reduced (just like Asuka, Ritsuko is on the top list to be sacrificied in order to fit in the time limit).

New character fans - there will be no new character fans as it wont have enough time for him/her to develop unless they kill Asuka in an isntant or they pull up some magic trick and the few scenes that new charcter will get will be really meaningful and touching.

Other characters (Touji, Maya etc) - might be the same, with some cases of screetime cut because of the time limit.

Basically I dont think the future is bright unless you are Rei, Kaworu, Shinji and maybe Misato fan.

Don't misundersatnd me - I hope that Asuka would get more scenes and all, but concidering the time limit ot os EXTREMELY unlikely.

Actually, if I were in GAINAX and would have to deal with the same problem here (allready having promised to add more Rei and Kaworu scenes) I would go of with killing Asuka's character as well... It solves quite a few issues for GAINAX, and costs only one character, so its fair trade. And I say so, being Asuka-fan myself. But thats the only logical sollution I see.

Though Asuka is second most popular character of NGE (after Rei), she also gets quite a lot of screen time in second half, thus chopping her character is a necessity. If I would make her the same substantial character as Rei, Shinji and Misato I would barely have time for anything else in the mkovies (I would reach episode 17th or so, at most, not adding new character(s) in the process as well). And gainax have to tell all the story in those same 90 minutes.

As I see it Asuka will be reduced to more or less filler in character, that has her own few angsty scenes but nowhere as important as Shinji, rei, Misato and, probably, kaworu. heck, I think that in the process touji might end up as being more in depth than her.

Sure she will have her own scenes, but I guess it wont be as in depth and wont have such great impact as she would appear and be gone in the same movie added with few other great scenes of other characters (like Rei's death and so on).

This is all speculation based on the leght of movies and the episodes they should cover. Besides it only makes sense if the new movies will carry some similarities with the original, as if it would be something totally new it would loose any sense to speculate about it while having the original anime as one of the basis.

I personally don't think that changes would be so drastic that would change the general concept, but who knows...

But enough about that. What do you think the new NGE movies might bring in terms of plot and characters?
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 09:49   Link #151
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
The hulking jerky movements were perfect for such a fatally flawed mech. t emphasized how imperfect they were. Crappy range, difficult to control, weapons not really understood by operators etc etc it really hammered home for me that they were pretty much working for a miracle and the desperate nature of the stakes.

I remember watching the series 1st time around and thinking what a POS mech (coming from the kickass nature of macross Valks and gundams)
Old 2007-05-17, 22:02   Link #152
Monkey D. Luffy

I think we need to wait to see how the Eva's turn out since we can't tell much about them, but like hobbes_fan said Eva's flaws and problems add to their character and the overall feeling.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 12:40   Link #153
Kisuke06
I see...

So, just a new info that has been released: The theme song for the first movie will be composed by Utada Hikaru, it's going to be called Beautiful World. The song will be on the single Beautiful World / Kiss & Cry which is going to be released on August 26th.
Old 2007-06-29, 14:24   Link #154
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
The new SEELE logo makes it look more official, as if it might not be an ultra-secret organization anymore but something else altogether. I've also seen a version of the new NERV logo where it was just the apple, so let's hope this isn't the final version.
Can someone confirm what the new SEELE motto translates into? As far as I can make out, it's something like

"As God works from beyond the starred canopy, likewise do we."

Sounds pretty mysterious and ultra-secretive to me.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 14:33   Link #155
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

http://www.moetron.com/2007/06/28/ut...ords-2007-mix/
A sample of the song on the bottom of the page.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 19:09   Link #156
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Utada is disgustingly "modern".

I once listened to a whole official album with something like 25 different versions of "Fly Me To the Moon" and they we all superior to this mind-numbing faux-R&B bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Can someone confirm what the new SEELE motto translates into? As far as I can make out, it's something like

"As God works from beyond the starred canopy, likewise do we."

Sounds pretty mysterious and ultra-secretive to me.
SEELE's motto is "Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet" which is a quote from Schiller's poem "Ode to Freedom", better know as the basis for Ludwig van Beethoven's Ninth Symphony's "Ode to Joy".

It is translated as "Above the starry canopy, God judges as we judged".

Last edited by MrProphet; 2007-06-29 at 19:22.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 02:06   Link #157
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I guess I'll bring this up here:

Has anyone ever noticed the incredible similarities between Evangelion's Decisive Battle Theme and John Barry's 007 theme.

You can compare samples of the two with these:

Decisive Battle Video From Super Robot Wars

John Barry's 007 Theme

It surprised me the first time I watched Evangelion because I didn't expect to hear a James Bond song in a show about 3 teenagers in mecha fightings angels.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 16:47   Link #158
Monkey D. Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I guess I'll bring this up here:

Has anyone ever noticed the incredible similarities between Evangelion's Decisive Battle Theme and John Barry's 007 theme.

You can compare samples of the two with these:

Decisive Battle Video From Super Robot Wars

John Barry's 007 Theme

It surprised me the first time I watched Evangelion because I didn't expect to hear a James Bond song in a show about 3 teenagers in mecha fightings angels.
I always noticed the similarities and thought it was great how they sampled it and it does sound very similar, that song theme is one of the most recognizable out of all of the series. Thanks for posting this.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-10, 00:02   Link #159
7Th
Mixtape

I hear someone wanted a trailer with... ACTUAL ANIMATION!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWj2mCm5TU

Looks nice in a KyoAni kind of way... but I can't say anything from such a low-quality video. The song, however, is just plain terrible.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-10, 02:31   Link #160
Mitheor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
I hear someone wanted a trailer with... ACTUAL ANIMATION!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWj2mCm5TU

Looks nice in a KyoAni kind of way... but I can't say anything from such a low-quality video. The song, however, is just plain terrible.

Amazing!!!!
Mitheor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, remake