AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-16, 05:05   Link #141
freakonboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I totally agree with you.
Spoiler for Vol. 9:
IIRC Kyon didn't call Haruhi by her given name until after the Haruhi's dream event in the last part of Melancholy.

My point is at that time he's pretty sure that Haruhi has some feelings for him.
Old 2009-09-16, 05:24   Link #142
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonboard View Post
IIRC Kyon didn't call Haruhi by her given name until after the Haruhi's dream event in the last part of Melancholy.

My point is at that time he's pretty sure that Haruhi has some feelings for him.
Are you sure? I don't ever remember he caling her 'Suzumiya' either.

Btw, there is something very wrong with the link of that images.
Old 2009-09-16, 10:12   Link #143
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Kyon pretty much used "Haruhi" from the start.

Spoiler for the stuff that's been in recent spoiler tags:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-16, 10:46   Link #144
typhonsentra

No, in actual conversation he indeed started with calling her "Suzumiya", at least when he spoke her name aloud. During the first "Mikuru Rape", he shouted "Su-Suzumiya!". It might be hard to catch but he doesn't start calling her Haruhi to her face until later in the book.
Old 2009-09-16, 10:51   Link #145
freakonboard

Here's screenshot with sub form Melancholy 3 and Baka-Tsuki's translation chapter 5 excerpt.

"Say, Suzumiya. Do you know the story of the 'Blue Bird of Happiness'?"

It's common in Japan to call each other by family name, unless they are very close.
Old 2009-09-16, 12:36   Link #146
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
No, in actual conversation he indeed started with calling her "Suzumiya", at least when he spoke her name aloud. During the first "Mikuru Rape", he shouted "Su-Suzumiya!". It might be hard to catch but he doesn't start calling her Haruhi to her face until later in the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonboard View Post
Here's screenshot with sub form Melancholy 3 and Baka-Tsuki's translation chapter 5 excerpt.

"Say, Suzumiya. Do you know the story of the 'Blue Bird of Happiness'?"

It's common in Japan to call each other by family name, unless they are very close.
I see, thank-you you two. Oddly, he sees to reffer to her as 'Haruhi' since the begining. Using 'Suzumiya' only few times, whn directly speaking to her. This might be why I get confused.

This also open a new question. Is the narration really his toughts? Or he is telling/writing it from the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Spoiler for the stuff that's been in recent spoiler tags:
Spoiler for same:
Old 2009-09-16, 13:02   Link #147
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Spoiler for same:
Spoiler for ...:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-09-16, 13:14   Link #148
Heatth

Quote:
Spoiler for ...:
Spoiler for ...?:
Old 2009-09-16, 13:20   Link #149
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Spoiler for ...!:
Old 2009-09-16, 13:27   Link #150
Heatth

Quote:
Spoiler for ...!:
Spoiler for ...¿:
Old 2009-09-17, 03:16   Link #151
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Spoiler for ....:
Old 2009-09-17, 03:25   Link #152
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Spoiler for ....:
Spoiler for ¨¨:

We had already stoped 14 hours ago. And the spoiler tags are needed for everything that didn't appear in the anime yet.
Old 2009-09-17, 03:53   Link #153
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Oh...

Carry on then.
Old 2009-09-17, 08:14   Link #154
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Spoiler for ...:
Old 2009-09-17, 11:16   Link #155
Tornadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacundim View Post

[spoiler]
Anyway, we've discussed Kyon's awareness of Haruhi's feelings toward him a few weeks ago. This is the link to my post on the topic, but to summarize:
Spoiler for Sighs II, Live Alive, novel 9:

Well It's pretty much a given at this point that Kyon knows Haruhi has feelings for him. His denial and subsequent contradictory actions tend to hint at his true feelings rather than those expressed.

Quote:
I must say that I think that this thread has recently taken a bit too much of a Kyon x Haruhi shipping bent. The way I see it, we've got to take Kyon's failure to pursue Haruhi at face value (more so considering the spoiler above) and just say that she just annoys him too much.
It has nothing to do with Shipping really. The Majority of the Haruhi fanbase agree that this is the most likely Canon ending so therefore we are discussing it. The problem with your arguement is..Well that Kyon doesn't need to pursue Haruhi at face value he already has her in his hands. He just needs to take the chance. Oh and by Book 9 he pretty much admits he loves what Haruhi does and isn't really annoyed by her. Hell he loves the weird things she does.

Even he starts to come around to the idea in Book 9, beforehand he would never even admit it. It's character development really.

Quote:
I'd say that so far in the story, Kyon would prefer a relationship with Asahina more than with any of the other girls—and the relationship would fail, on many grounds.
Openly Kyon would say himself he would prefer a relationship with Mikuru, However we already know that it really isn't the case. He finds Haruhi much more interesting than he does Mikuru. Mikuru is basically his "white knight" crush and nothing more.

Haruhi and Kyon is basically pushed at every possibility while everything else is totally ignored in terms of development or even internal referencing.

Quote:
More generally, I think that Kyon and the three girls would have to develop and mature more for any of the pairings to work. We're not going to see any couples in this series until we see some more important character development happen.
Yea i totally agree, The only one at this point which COULD happen in Book 10 would be Haruhi and Kyon although that would have to be written very well for it to work. The rest...Oh man they would be so pathetic and forced it's unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Taking anything Kyon says about how he feels at face value is an exercise in futility.

Case in point:

Spoiler for Up to Vol. 9:

Two other things: a) KyonxMikuru has pretty much been impossible from the beginning, and if you don't believe that Kyon, at the very least, cares about Haruhi a hell of a lot, you need to read Vol. 4 again.
Totally agreed with the entire post.

Especially the last point.

Disapperance and the subsequent novels is really where the serious development starts (Since TMoHS Ep 6 at the very least). That and Kyon is a CLASSIC unreliable narrator. Attempting to piece his true feelings and intentions without taking in the Hints and subtle additions is just inconcieveable.
Old 2009-09-17, 15:18   Link #156
typhonsentra

I think the biggest tell on Kyon's true feelings for Sasaki was something she said in passing during her second meeting with him in Chapter 1.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-09-24, 10:11   Link #157
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Re: Heatth & Kogetsu name discussion...

Spoiler for volumes 9 and 8.:
Old 2009-09-24, 16:40   Link #158
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Tornadium - This is my current take on Kyon's approach to Haruhi...

I think that the author has skillfully set things up so that he can believably go with out a romance being set up between them, or with a romance set up between them.

If it doesn't happen, he can say "Well, Kyon obviously snarks a lot about Haruhi. She really does annoy him a lot at times. He can tolerate that in a friend, but not in a life partner."

If it does happen, he can say "Well, as many Haruhi fans point out, Kyon is an unreliable narrator. Hence, a lot of what he narrates and says you can't take at face value."

So... he's left it open to either 'play it straight' (mostly anyway) or 'play it self-deceiving' (mostly anyway).
Old 2009-09-25, 17:59   Link #159
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Re: Heatth & Kogetsu name discussion...

Spoiler for volumes 9 and 8.:
You forgot 'Mikuru Asahina' is also most probably a fake name. I would agree with you few books ago. However
Spoiler for Book7-9:

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-09-26 at 02:36.
Old 2009-09-26, 02:34   Link #160
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
You forgot 'Mikuru Asahina' is also most probably a fake name. I would agree with you few books ago. However
Spoiler for Book7-9:
You forgot the "r" in your initial spoiler tag. Please fix it.
Spoiler for Volumes 9 and 8:

Tags
characters