AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-11-17, 14:02   Link #1581
User65554
Disabled By Request

Aaargh! Nononononononono! Nearly had it there. Stoppage time goal. Damn.

Meanwhile Israel lead Russia 1-0 at half time. Probably a good thing. Qualification comes at a price, McClaren. But maybe it will be worth it.
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 14:04   Link #1582
Drakarst
Dark Star Rising

I really feel like copying Mad Dog and saying Of course I have an objection to the result, where can I complain and get this shocker of a decision reversed?! Heh and elsewhere I already see people accusing Italy of match-fixing again. *shrug*

Well Scotland played their hearts out, great job to them throughout the campaign beating France and all. They didn't deserve this end though.
Drakarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 14:57   Link #1583
User65554
Disabled By Request

Israel 2-1 Russia
Hooray!
Old 2007-11-17, 15:03   Link #1584
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Amazingly, McClaren finds himself a lifeline from the most unexpected of sources - the Israelis, who scored in the final minute to beat Russia 2-1.

England would now only need a draw against Croatia. If they do draw and Russia win, both will be on 24 points but England have a better record in aggregate against Russia.

Of course, there's no guarantee that McClaren might screw things up in Wembley.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 15:14   Link #1585
Drakarst
Dark Star Rising

Israel is always very good at home, full credit to them..I really wasn't expecting the second goal, since they hardly attacked in the second half, but that was great, just great..
Old 2007-11-17, 15:23   Link #1586
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
I know I'm quoting myself. Just when Israel gives McClaren an unexpected lifeline, he has to stage a meaningless friendly with Austria and gets Owen injured. Words fail me.
Old 2007-11-17, 15:41   Link #1587
Drakarst
Dark Star Rising

Quote:
I know I'm quoting myself. Just when Israel gives McClaren an unexpected lifeline, he has to stage a meaningless friendly with Austria and gets Owen injured. Words fail me.
lol that was yesterday..I don't see the point of having these meaningless friendlies..and playing Owen when he's so fragile..
Old 2007-11-17, 15:44   Link #1588
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
It may not have been Wembley, but he already screwed up against Croatia. Except for this game he's without goal scoring hero, Gary Neville
Old 2007-11-17, 19:04   Link #1589
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakarst View Post
Absolute DISGRACE of refereeing in Scotland vs Italy. In case you didn't see it, the Italian player clearly fouled Hutton at the end, and somehow it's a free kick for Italy?! It was a CLEAR foul. He practically shoved Hutton off the ball. It wasn't even questionable. How does a referee make that kind of mistake?!?!?! It's such a disgrace of a refereeing and Scotland does not deserve this. They played so bravely with all their hearts, giving it their all even after they went down. I'm so mad. Scotland was robbed.
While I do agree with you and the other users that the referee wasn't that good, I would also like to point out that he penalized Italy as well, not just Scotland. One goal was canceled, the one scored by Di Natale, which was absolutely regular. And the goal that Scotland scored wasn't regular at all, since it was scored in offside (watch the highlights of the game again, as soon as they'll put them on the web you'll clearly see that Ferguson was in offside position when he scored). I can perfectly understand that you do root for your own country (as I do for mine) and that you feel bitter about losing, but let's try to count all the unfair episodes (that damaged Italy as well during the game) and not just the ones that penalized your team. Supporters usually tend to see the mistakes only towards their own team.

Anyway, it was a good match, and it could have ended with a draw as well, (or maybe not, the referee made too many mistakes and we could have gone 2-0 earlier if that regular goal didn't get canceled), Scotland fought as much as we did.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 21:56   Link #1590
Drakarst
Dark Star Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
While I do agree with you and the other users that the referee wasn't that good, I would also like to point out that he penalized Italy as well, not just Scotland. One goal was canceled, the one scored by Di Natale, which was absolutely regular. And the goal that Scotland scored wasn't regular at all, since it was scored in offside (watch the highlights of the game again, as soon as they'll put them on the web you'll clearly see that Ferguson was in offside position when he scored). I can perfectly understand that you do root for your own country (as I do for mine) and that you feel bitter about losing, but let's try to count all the unfair episodes (that damaged Italy as well during the game) and not just the ones that penalized your team. Supporters usually tend to see the mistakes only towards their own team.

Anyway, it was a good match, and it could have ended with a draw as well, (or maybe not, the referee made too many mistakes and we could have gone 2-0 earlier if that regular goal didn't get canceled), Scotland fought as much as we did.
So you brought up two incorrect decisions. Then there's the foul at the end that clearly should've gone Scotland's way. And there was a handball in the first half that deserved a penalty for Scotland imo. That's at least four calls, and there were more as well. Each team's score could've been +/- 2 goals. At this point, it's not a good game anymore. It's a farce. I'm not mad at the Italian players, full credit to them for getting their points. But I think all the players deserved better refereeing than this. Especially the Scots who worked so hard over the campaign against sides that probably had more quality. The Scots put in all that effort, dedication, and heart into fighting superior teams. That's why I think Scotland deserved a real game and not a shambles of a match. It's incredibly poor refereeing like this that really takes away from the beauty of the game.
Old 2007-11-17, 23:48   Link #1591
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I absolutely agree with you in fact, the bad refereeing partially ruined a well fought match. I am sadly getting used to craptastic referees since in Serie A this year there has been a lot of absurd episodes (and most of them penalized the team I root for, Juventus. We had like SIX penalty kicks against so far, oh boy), but I still do find it disturbing when a match gets so heavily conditioned by such rediculous mistakes. As you said, in normal conditions, Italy could have scored two goals right away as well as Scotland could have scored two as well.

If I have to be completely honest, although I hoped for team Italy to win (better win and get a secure 1st spot in the group), I wouldn't have minded a draw either, since both Scotland and Italy would have qualified together. Looking at this qualification stage and the effort put, I'd dare to say that the Scots did indeed deserve a spot.

As for team Italy, they had a rough start when the qualification stage began last year, mostly because not only we changed coach (I still don't like Donadoni, and if Italy were not to qualify I was hoping for Lippi to come back) and he changed part of the roster, but also because the guys from World Cup were completely exhausted (they had no pause at all last year, no time to rest). Thankfully, even with such an unexperienced coach like Donadoni, the team still managed to get back in shape once the veterans gained back their full optimal condition. I wasn't expecting a first place in the group (I either predicted that we would barely qualify, or not qualify at all), but well, that's football for you, unpredictable.

And I can't believe the french guys rooted for us this time around (considering the two countries' rivalry), ugh. It feels so odd.
Old 2007-11-18, 00:17   Link #1592
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
And I can't believe the french guys rooted for us this time around (considering the two countries' rivalry), ugh. It feels so odd.
Too bad the wrong guy scored the winner. It would have been better with Materazzi instead of Panucci.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 10:29   Link #1593
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Lol, Materazzi is still injuried. I am not exactly a fan of him anyway (I prefer the current duo Cannavaro-Barzagli in the center of the defense). Besides, Panucci is an old veteran who's been called back in team Italy after a couple of years of absence, I am glad that he was the one who scored, he's always been a professional and serious player (quite the opposite of Materazzi, thinking about it ).
Old 2007-11-18, 12:25   Link #1594
arcadeplayer987

England got a new chance(they need to thanks Israel for that), will se wednesday if they deserve to qualify or not
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 15:45   Link #1595
Rahan

I guess they don't. They are down 0-2 at half time and Russia is beating Andorra ...
Old 2007-11-21, 15:59   Link #1596
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I guess they don't. They are down 0-2 at half time and Russia is beating Andorra ...
Too bad for them, at least my team is on top:
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/eur...report=rp.html
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 16:00   Link #1597
User65554
Disabled By Request

Robinson must be watching the game, laughing, rubbing his hand and saying "Ha-ha, who's no. 1 now McClaren? You dare to replace me?".
Or more likely "It's funny when it's not happening to me."

But seriously, playing Crouch alone up front? He needs a fast striking partner who scores goals. Although that implies that he isn't infront of 10 men who aren't playing well.

Edit: And one has come on at half time, for their holding midfielder. Not for one of the 2 attacking midfielders. And the only player to get a shot on target has been replaced by a man who hasn't been playing in a substandard league due to injury. Yay non-qualification!

Edit Edit: GOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALx2 Crouch+Lampard(pen)

Edit Edit Edit: Shit.

Edit Edit Edit Edit: WE WANT GOALS! WE WANT GOALS!

Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit: Full time. Bugger.

Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit: FT Russia 1-0 Andorra. Cries

Last edited by User65554; 2007-11-21 at 17:01. Reason: Oh dear
Old 2007-11-21, 16:42   Link #1598
Rahan

I don't believe this. What happened ? England stopped trying after the equalizer because they thought it was more or less over ?

France 2-2 Ukraine. I didn't really watch the game. I just had the TV one while I was on the computer. Seemed like a boring game and Frey sucked for his first game with the national team, so he'll probably won't be called again. Just when he thought his time had finally come.
Old 2007-11-22, 08:11   Link #1599
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

McClaren finally gets the sack. Finally.

From the moment he got appointed England coach, I never expected much from him, so I was laughing myself out all day at how his gamble backfired, now I can't stop laughing at his pathetic demise.

(But poor Scott Carson! He was just too inexperienced in the international level. McClaren has set him up for the worst possible international debut a young footballer can ever have. Yes, I blame it all on McClaren. )

Now English football can hopefully truly move forward. I mean, who can get lower than "McClown"? Think about it, England fans, it could be a blessing in disguise as those buffoons at the FA take a good look at themselves, or the media and fans will make them if they don't.

As much of an arrogant git he is, I think Jose Mourinho would be the ideal replacement. He can toy with the media as much as the media tries to toy him, as well as taking care of a whole team of "superstars". Not to mention he's more tactically astute compared to the inept McClaren.

Though news has come out that Alan Shearer could be the likely candidate. Another would be Fabio Capello.

I'm not an England so I don't really care, I don't know about how he takes it, but personally I'm glad Gerrard gets the summer off next year.

In the meantime, I heard this place is in need of a manager, perhaps McClaren ought to consider sending his C.V. there?

Spoiler for McClaren's new job:
Old 2007-11-22, 08:24   Link #1600
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK-Pitt View Post

Edit Edit: GOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALGOALx2 Crouch+Lampard(pen)

Edit Edit Edit: Shit.

Edit Edit Edit Edit: WE WANT GOALS! WE WANT GOALS!

Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit: Full time. Bugger.

Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit: FT Russia 1-0 Andorra. Cries
ROFL

Well, I dont really cared much for any national team to be honest .. and any team to include a ManU player is an auto fail at semi final stage the most .. So there

That being said, I dunno who to choose for game week 14 in my fantasy team .. Curse Anelka not back up for game and Blackburn and Villa both have double game this week.

Decisions decisions.

*nudge kinny* You know, Rafa's head isn't that far from chopping block too.. so his CV might end up there sooner or later too. :x
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer