AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-16, 19:09   Link #1621
rpgman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
The '90s Sailor Moon anime - movies, specials, AND STARS, all unedited and with a new dub - and Crystal have been picked up by Viz!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nime-franchise

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-crystal-anime

FANGIRL GET HYPE.
Now this is interesting. I wonder which studio Viz is going to choose to dub Sailor Moon?
Old 2014-05-16, 19:55   Link #1622
T-6000

Well, it isn't a Half-Life 3 announcement, but this is almost as big.....

I'd honestly never expect for Viz to get the Sailor Moon License for not only the new SM but the old SM as well. Hell, I *NEVER* expected the original SM Anime to be licensed at all, *NEVER* expected to get a re-dubbing, and *NEVER* expected for Naoko to give her blessing with the new Dub. This week is ending on a surprising note. It looks like the Hype machine for the new Sailor Moon anime is on overdrive.

Now all we need is a trailer for the new Sailor Moon for the internet to truly explode, too.

Since the new Anime is getting a new dub, I'd expect the new dub to stick with the original Japanese names (or maybe the proper honorifics), though I will miss the original English Voice Actress for Jupiter and Moon. I guess it goes without saying that these voice actors will also be used for the new Anime as well.
Old 2014-05-16, 20:28   Link #1623
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Since the new Anime is getting a new dub, I'd expect the new dub to stick with the original Japanese names (or maybe the proper honorifics), though I will miss the original English Voice Actress for Jupiter and Moon. I guess it goes without saying that these voice actors will also be used for the new Anime as well.
ANN's article indicates just that:
Quote:
Viz is offering the franchise without edits in its original uncropped 4:3 aspect ratio, with the original Japanese names, story elements, and relationships. It is also producing an uncut English dub with a new voice cast.
I'm assuming that all episodes even means that episode that ADV couldn't get when they had the license.
Old 2014-05-16, 20:46   Link #1624
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Does that mean that Zoisite is going to have a male voice in the new English dub?

It's funny how, when I first watched Sailor Moon on local TV back in the 90s, I totally bought Zoisite as the lone female general working for Queen Beryl. I never even once thought that Zoisite might be a man. But then, when I first watched the sub many years later (with Zoisite having a male voice), it totally clicked to me how he could be perceived as a man.

Fascinating character design in that it works perfectly well as either male or female, as long as you have the right voice for it either way.
Old 2014-05-16, 20:48   Link #1625
LKK

From Viz's Facebook post:
Quote:
We plan on releasing ALL 200 episodes, ALL uncut, ALL remastered. All relationships, genders and names will be restored to the original Japanese storyline.
It doesn't mention honorifics, but it does answer the question about character names & possibly the missing ADV episode.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2014-05-16, 21:15   Link #1626
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

That just sweet Viz got both new and old series
Old 2014-05-16, 22:01   Link #1627
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Well, it isn't a Half-Life 3 announcement, but this is almost as big.....

I'd honestly never expect for Viz to get the Sailor Moon License for not only the new SM but the old SM as well. Hell, I *NEVER* expected the original SM Anime to be licensed at all, *NEVER* expected to get a re-dubbing, and *NEVER* expected for Naoko to give her blessing with the new Dub. This week is ending on a surprising note. It looks like the Hype machine for the new Sailor Moon anime is on overdrive.

Now all we need is a trailer for the new Sailor Moon for the internet to truly explode, too.

Honorifics in dubs are lame and unprofessional, just like in manga. I was quite disappointed of the english manga re-relise, there were honorifics, which is strange and some of them were even transcribed wrong! Not to mention the funny collocation Princess Serenity-sama in English, or Motoki-oni san (oni as demon) . I am really happy about the new dub and the promise of unmatched quality for the Dvd and, oh i am going to faint - Blu ray! By the way I am a huge fan of song adaptations in different languages, and I am happy that they intend to do that. They interview is quite promising. AX 2014 will be huge!
Old 2014-05-16, 23:19   Link #1628
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
If they also provide the Japanese VAs and English subs, I will be all over that.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2014-05-16, 23:38   Link #1629
Sakuya
*Artist

Wow, that's pretty good news. The first ever bluray release! I really hope that also means Japan will come out with their own bluray releases as well? If so, I hope both versions will be the same master quality.

Not sure if any of you caught it, but a preview of the new English VA is included in the 3-minute promo from Viz at the very end. It's very interesting too that Takeuchi will personally approve the English voice cast.
Old 2014-05-16, 23:50   Link #1630
T-6000

One ting that surprises me the most is that Naoko herself is picking the cast (according to Viz's Twitter post). First time I ever heard of a Manga creator selecting the voice cast of an english dub of their anime adaptation. Either this was part of the licensing agreement or Viz is going out of their way of making her happy.
Old 2014-05-17, 00:00   Link #1631
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
One ting that surprises me the most is that Naoko herself is picking the cast (according to Viz's Twitter post). First time I ever heard of a Manga creator selecting the voice cast of an english dub of their anime adaptation. Either this was part of the licensing agreement or Viz is going out of their way of making her happy.
I gess it's a clause, included in their contract. As far as I knew, Naoko was resistant to American licensing before. I don't blame her, considering the original dub... Linda Ballantyne can literary fry your brain.
Spoiler for Video as reference:

PS: The voice of the new Sailor Moon from the promo video seems a perfect match, although it's kind of muted. They really want to keep it mysterious. It's so nice to be a moonie these days. I'd die till AX 2014 - they will show the first two Blu-ray episodes. I doubt that Toei gave them new masters, but with Sailor Moon a mere color correction can do wonders.
Old 2014-05-17, 00:12   Link #1632
T-6000

With Viz announcing that they have the rights to the old & new Sailor Moon anime, many people online are hoping that Toonami puts both anime versions on their block. For the sake of Nostalgia, I wouldn't mind seeing this happen but I don't think it'll happen. From what I have hard, Toonami have a very limited budget (so far), and Viz may ask for alot of money for TV airing rights. I mean, this is one f the most popular Anime series ever.
Old 2014-05-17, 00:55   Link #1633
Frumix

Their Blu-ray proposition is garbage and employs deceit in attempt to market it.
Old 2014-05-17, 01:03   Link #1634
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumix View Post
Their Blu-ray proposition is garbage and employs deceit in attempt to market it.
This image is not from the blu-ray release, probably the stream quality. They said in the interview they wouldn't show the actual blu-ray before Anime Expo 2014, which means 5 - 6 July. This month is going to be HOT! As for the shot they posted on ann as DVD R2 reference - it is real. The quality of the Japanese release is rather inconsistent. There are at least 6 entire episodes that look like that in season one's remastered version.
Old 2014-05-17, 01:07   Link #1635
Frumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
This image is not from the blu-ray release, probably the stream quality. They said in the interview they wouldn't show the actual blu-ray before Anime Expo 2014, which means 5 - 6 July. This month is going to be HOT! As for the shot they posted on ann as DVD R2 reference - it is real. The quality of the Japanese release is rather inconsistent. There are at least 6 entire episodes that look like that in season one's remastered version.

What?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...on-sailor-moon
They say it's a screenshot from their Blu-ray release.
No getting around the fact there's no HD masters around, too expensive to do it just for NA obviously, but least they could do is not DNR it to hell and back.
I also happen to own Japanese DVDs in their entirety, and nothing on them looks like that (except for bonus footage which uses old LD masters, and it doesn't look like that screenshot either).
Old 2014-05-17, 01:08   Link #1636
Sakuya
*Artist

The interview was really insightful. Since they're working hand-in-hand with the creator, I trust Viz on this one. They seem really into it! I'm wary of that blu-ray though as I'd much rather have Toei work on a blu-ray remaster themselves and then give it to Viz for US release.
Old 2014-05-17, 01:19   Link #1637
minaku
Princess of Hades

qq
Quote:
What?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...on-sailor-moon
They say it's a screenshot from their Blu-ray release.
No getting around the fact there's no HD masters around, too expensive to do it just for NA obviously, but least they could do is not DNR it to hell and back.
I also happen to own Japanese DVDs in their entirety, and nothing on them looks like that (except for bonus footage which uses old LD masters, and it doesn't look like that screenshot either).
Look at episode 16 then. The transformation sequence, is extremely red, in some episodes the "I'll punish you!" scene is greenish (episode 5). I can't recall the exact episode where this scene was red, but in episode 16 the transformation is like this. And the third introduction, that starts after the op, that include Ami and Rei, can't remember the actual episodes (around 20-23), is like this till the moment they change it. The Italian Dvd Release, however tuned down the redness.

Last edited by minaku; 2014-05-17 at 02:23.
Old 2014-05-17, 01:36   Link #1638
Horse

Quote:
Ugh, if that screenshot they provided is a real representation of their "BD remastering" work, count me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
Look at episode 16 then. The transformation sequence, is extremely red, in some episodes the "I'll punish you!" scene is greenish (episode 3). I can't recall the exact episode where this scene was red, but in episode 16 the transformation is like this. And the third introduction, that starts after the op, that include Ami and Rei, can't remember the actual episodes (around 20-23), is like this till the moment they change it. The Italian Dvd Release, however tuned down the redness.
The color tint is not the only problem with their shittily upscaled "JP DVD" screenshot example. Yes, the quality does vary a lot between episodes on the JP DVD, but it never looks like what they are claiming it does in the shot provided.

Last edited by Horse; 2014-05-17 at 01:49.
Old 2014-05-17, 01:57   Link #1639
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Does that mean that Zoisite is going to have a male voice in the new English dub?

It's funny how, when I first watched Sailor Moon on local TV back in the 90s, I totally bought Zoisite as the lone female general working for Queen Beryl. I never even once thought that Zoisite might be a man. But then, when I first watched the sub many years later (with Zoisite having a male voice), it totally clicked to me how he could be perceived as a man.

Fascinating character design in that it works perfectly well as either male or female, as long as you have the right voice for it either way.
You know what's even funnier? When the kiddie version of me was told Zoicite was a man, I just went "oh ok" and didn't care.
Goes to prove that the only people with a problem were the ones behind that awful piece of editing (chalking it up to the mentality of the time is no excuse), not the actual target audience.

I don't remember my dub claiming Haruka and Michiru were cousins btw so that entire thing was a lovely example of selective homophobia. Probably a big part of why I despise dubs now.

I think it's cool they're doing a re-dub though. Looks like they're planning to make up for the mess the original licensors made out of this show. The original dub was garbage in every respect, will be cool to see how this one turns out looks like they're going to do a great job
Old 2014-05-17, 07:27   Link #1640
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I had no idea Zoisite was a woman in the English dub of the anime. He doesn't look all that much like a girl to me (Fish Eye, on the other hand...). In the French dub, they made him Kunzite's little brother to make him seem less gay. Nowadays, it shouldn't be a problem anymore. I'd say he'll have a male voice in the new dub.

Tags
remake, shoujo