AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-06-04, 17:14   Link #1681
Jagger

So how much dragonglass they've got left? I remember they had found a few buried, didn't seem like many. Surely they don't have enough to equip a whole army? It kinda feels like they NEED dragons, surely Dany should show up in Jon's storyline at some point.

Also this is a huge pet peeve of mine: MOUNT THE DRAGONGLASS BLADES ON SPEARS ALREADY. They could have used them right then and there during the fight but instead they were left into a bag because they're little shitty daggers with no hilt and no reach.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-04, 17:31   Link #1682
Jaden

The 'dragonglass' is just obsidian, right? Dragonstone and other places of volcanic activity would have plenty of it lying around. The issue is it's actually quite a flimsy material. It takes some advanced smithing to attach those pieces into wooden or metal poles or arrow shafts in a stable way. That's why it's best used as daggers.
Old 2015-06-04, 20:50   Link #1683
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Stannis told Sam that they have it in spades over at Dragonstone (makes sense, it was a Targarean stronghold before teh Baratheons took it).
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-04, 22:36   Link #1684
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Why is everything Jon Snow in so good? His storyline never ceases to entertain me =03. I was also impressed with Torman. Never expected him to be so good with words and be charismatic in Jon's defense

Dany and Tyrion teaming up? That's certainly something I can get behind =03. Too bad for ser Mormon though =0(. I really liked him as Dany's adviser and primary protector(after Drugo[sp?]), but I guess with him becoming a stoneman, his time will be short-lived.

Didn't really care about Aria for once =0(. I think I found it more entertaining when she was wandering the countryside with various people, getting into stuff. Hope this "training" helps her to become something interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
When Jon's boat was getting away, I kept thinking the white walkers would just freeze the sea with their magic and march on.
Oh man, me too =03!!! Esp when he slowly raised his hands up, I def expected that to happen. Looks like Jon is WW king's #1 enemy.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 12:27   Link #1685
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
So how much dragonglass they've got left? I remember they had found a few buried, didn't seem like many. Surely they don't have enough to equip a whole army? It kinda feels like they NEED dragons, surely Dany should show up in Jon's storyline at some point.
They only really need enough dragonglass or Valaryian steel to arm their best fighters. The regular undead can be destoryed through enough smashing and fire; the only ones that NEED special weapons to kill are the white walkers themselves and there are only a few of them.

And ya, having a dragon would be great against the white walkers, though i'd question how much time they have. That village isn't that far from the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Oh man, me too =03!!! Esp when he slowly raised his hands up, I def expected that to happen. Looks like Jon is WW king's #1 enemy.
Heh, when i saw that scene i simply found myself asking "Good thing Zombies can't swim... Right?"
Old 2015-06-05, 13:10   Link #1686
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The 'dragonglass' is just obsidian, right? Dragonstone and other places of volcanic activity would have plenty of it lying around. The issue is it's actually quite a flimsy material. It takes some advanced smithing to attach those pieces into wooden or metal poles or arrow shafts in a stable way. That's why it's best used as daggers.
I always assumed it to be Obsidion as well, I don't remember it ever being said specifically it was or had to be forged by dragon fire. I could be wrong though.
Old 2015-06-07, 23:54   Link #1687
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

OK, latest episode of Game of Thrones is out, and

Spoiler for Spoilers:

It'll be interesting to see how the season ends.

Something now, something I first did on the Aldnoah Zero thread (and was totally wrong), but lets try it again anyway!: 119's Death Predictions

Spoiler for Its a death prediction, of course there's gonna be spoilers!:
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 05:49   Link #1688
Jaden

The fights in this episode were pretty cool...

...until Jorah did a frickin' Dark Souls roll into his opponent. I facepalmed pretty hard at that. Only in the world of video games should that be an effective combat maneuver.
Old 2015-06-08, 07:05   Link #1689
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for Season 5 ep 9:
Old 2015-06-08, 07:09   Link #1690
Maxulous
mono no aware

The scene prior to the fighting pits gave real pause. A new low which seems to all but affirm that D&D have a bigger taste for blood than GRRM, who we know writes pages with the stuff. It seemed tasteless and ill-timed to follow up with cheesy Hollywood spectacle after that harrowing scene in the snow (Dany's material has had quite a mauling too). Pleased for Jorah though.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Maxulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 08:02   Link #1691
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

I wonder what the people who complained about Sansa Stark rape scene feel about Shireens death scene. Why is it considered a mercy to show off screen the death of Shireen but not a mercy to show off screen the rape of Sansa? Was Shireen being used as a means to another characters development, Stannis, the same way Stansa was argued to be used as a means to Theons?

This episode had a lot of thematic threads running through it. One that really stood out for me wast the emphasis of children. Arya and the underaged prostitute show the fate of Shireen had she stayed back in castle black with the soldiers. Likewise the scene with Daenerys and her son Drogon showed us the power of the child to save the parent and make a path towards the future. Mycella and Tristaine are shown as remnants and sponges of their parents. The sand snakes as the legacy of Oberyn and being the link that saves Ellaria's life with Doran.

Perhaps the greatest thread runs from yesterdays episode with the zombie kids. All these intricate developments and stories between the child and the parent share the same fate in their future. It is this point that may justify Stannis' decision. He truly believes that he is the only thing standing between Westeros and the White Walkers. His decision is that of parent not to a daughter but to a kingdom
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 09:44   Link #1692
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I'll remember Shireen.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 10:09   Link #1693
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
It is this point that may justify Stannis' decision. He truly believes that he is the only thing standing between Westeros and the White Walkers. His decision is that of parent not to a daughter but to a kingdom
By justify his decision, I assume you mean in his mind. There are other ways to kill White Walkers, and in the end, I still get the vibe that Melisandre is a psychotic cult leader who happens to have some magical abilities- more a corrupting influence rather than an actual prophet...
Old 2015-06-08, 15:58   Link #1694
Theo

Stannis "Medium-Rare the Heir" Mannis

Stannis "Cook the Books" Mannis

Stannis "Red the Well-Read" Mannis
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 16:25   Link #1695
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Yeah... wow.. now that was one properly harsh episode.
Poor Shireen, poor brothel child and poor Drogon.
God, I do hope he comes back from all those spear wounds but my prognosis is not a very good one.

Now...
Arya, would you kindly please do us all a favor and slaughter that piece of fecal matter with extreme prejudice?
Old 2015-06-08, 22:10   Link #1696
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
By justify his decision, I assume you mean in his mind. There are other ways to kill White Walkers, and in the end, I still get the vibe that Melisandre is a psychotic cult leader who happens to have some magical abilities- more a corrupting influence rather than an actual prophet...
Stannis believes he is the only one who can stop the White Walkers. He is partly right aswell Cersei, The Sparrows, Daenerys, Tyrion, Petyr Baellish, Varys, Roose Bolton, Walder Frey..none of them give a shit about what's going on beyond the wall. Save Jon Snow, Stannis seems to be the only leader that realizes just how much of a threat the WW are
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 23:51   Link #1697
rantaid

now, i start to think Joffrey was the best King the series ever had.

Robert was a drunken and squanderer. even his council can not control him.
The Four of the Five King likes Renly, Robb, Stannis, Balon all is disloyal individual who bound to rebel anyway. Renly states outright he want to be king during Robert last days, Robb is uncapable aovereign (only a good commander), Stannis... he let himself controlled by a woman (and an incapable one if i may say) , Balon is like a floating Baloon.
The Frey and the Bolton lacked ambition beside their discontent and psycopath tendency.
Daenerys act like spoiled princess.

Joffrey let his rule being controlled by reliable and more capable individual like Tyrion, Tywin and Margaery.
rantaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-09, 12:09   Link #1698
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantaid View Post
now, i start to think Joffrey was the best King the series ever had.

Robert was a drunken and squanderer. even his council can not control him.
The Four of the Five King likes Renly, Robb, Stannis, Balon all is disloyal individual who bound to rebel anyway. Renly states outright he want to be king during Robert last days, Robb is uncapable aovereign (only a good commander), Stannis... he let himself controlled by a woman (and an incapable one if i may say) , Balon is like a floating Baloon.
The Frey and the Bolton lacked ambition beside their discontent and psycopath tendency.
Daenerys act like spoiled princess.

Joffrey let his rule being controlled by reliable and more capable individual like Tyrion, Tywin and Margaery.
I have to disagree. Robert may have been a drunkard and wasn't a good king, but the kingdom DID remain largely stable for throughout his reign. The only hiccup was the greyjoy rebellion and that would have occurred under ANY king since Balon Greyjoy desired independence from the iron throne; didn't matter to him who was sitting on it. The worst thing Robert did was overspend.

Joffery, while he technically could not be blamed for Stannis or Renly he CAN be blamed for Robb and the entire north rising up. Everyone around him told him to spare Ned's life and that would have been the end to the rebellion in the north. The lil' pissant however never cared to listen to anyone and just cut off his head thus adding another enemy for the Kingdom to fight against. The lil bastard just got lucky that his enemies spent more time fighting eachother than fighting him and that he had Tywin to do all the REAL work for him. Frankly, if not for Margaery, he would have also had a peasant uprising in his own capitol. Joffery made so many enemies that he was bound to have to deal with a never ending string of rebellions. And really, the fact that Joffery needed so many advisors to keep his foolishness in check only emphasizes what a terrible king he was. He was less a king a more of rambunctious puppet.

Robb had no desire for the Iron Throne. After what happened to his father and his brother he wanted nothing more than to end the lannister reign; he didn't care much for who claimed the throne. As for Renly; he may have shown a desire to rule while Robert was still around but he never betrayed him to make it happen. Its one thing to dream of ruling a kingdom, its another thing entire to enact betrayal to do so. As for Stannis... well he burns people alive; he wouldn't be a good king, but he probably would have done a better job at keeping the kingdom stable than joffery. Stannis only strikes down his enemies and knows when to offer them mercy (like the offer he made to Mance); Joffery on the otherhand kills for his personal amusement
Old 2015-06-09, 13:54   Link #1699
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I have to disagree. Robert may have been a drunkard and wasn't a good king, but the kingdom DID remain largely stable for throughout his reign. The only hiccup was the greyjoy rebellion and that would have occurred under ANY king since Balon Greyjoy desired independence from the iron throne; didn't matter to him who was sitting on it. The worst thing Robert did was overspend.

Joffery, while he technically could not be blamed for Stannis or Renly he CAN be blamed for Robb and the entire north rising up. Everyone around him told him to spare Ned's life and that would have been the end to the rebellion in the north. The lil' pissant however never cared to listen to anyone and just cut off his head thus adding another enemy for the Kingdom to fight against. The lil bastard just got lucky that his enemies spent more time fighting eachother than fighting him and that he had Tywin to do all the REAL work for him. Frankly, if not for Margaery, he would have also had a peasant uprising in his own capitol. Joffery made so many enemies that he was bound to have to deal with a never ending string of rebellions. And really, the fact that Joffery needed so many advisors to keep his foolishness in check only emphasizes what a terrible king he was. He was less a king a more of rambunctious puppet.

Robb had no desire for the Iron Throne. After what happened to his father and his brother he wanted nothing more than to end the lannister reign; he didn't care much for who claimed the throne. As for Renly; he may have shown a desire to rule while Robert was still around but he never betrayed him to make it happen. Its one thing to dream of ruling a kingdom, its another thing entire to enact betrayal to do so. As for Stannis... well he burns people alive; he wouldn't be a good king, but he probably would have done a better job at keeping the kingdom stable than joffery. Stannis only strikes down his enemies and knows when to offer them mercy (like the offer he made to Mance); Joffery on the otherhand kills for his personal amusement
In my opinion, I think, of the cast interviewed , Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (the guy who plays Jaime Lannister if you didn't know) had the best idea: dissolve the monarchy (or, IMO, at least strip them of absolute power), because that it just isn't working for this world. In the unlikely event they go that route, Tyrion Lannister for Prime Minister!

Either that, or the War of the Five Kings was a plot to get everyone who had a claim ahead of the instigators to kill each other off... and the final battle will be a duel between the aforementioned instigators, namely Hot Pie and Hodor.
Old 2015-06-09, 14:54   Link #1700
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Judging by the quality of this world's elite governing classes (I am looking at you, Meister Pycelle), I doubt a democracy would be much better.

Tags
game of thrones, hbo