AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-01, 08:15   Link #1681
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I just chalk the reason down to being one of Ades' engineers growing fat on his pay while being a total buffoon...ie like plenty of people today....
Old 2012-01-01, 13:15   Link #1682
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Why am I having the feeling that Liliana is getting married somehow?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 13:32   Link #1683
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Because that one-eyed guy has the look of someone who brainwashes princesses, marries them, and gets them killed somehow?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2012-01-02 at 17:20.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 20:15   Link #1684
Julio C
Bury My Shell

[QUOTE=Anh_Minh;3927661]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
It's possible they use thrust to move, but that can't possibly all they use to stay in the air.

Doesn't matter. It's a warship, so compartmentalize the heck out of it so you can cut off damaged parts instead of sinking at the first mishap. Heck, even our civilian planes can cut the flow of fuel to their engines, if they need to. And if it was somehow a hit to a fuel tank, then they bloody well should have several of the buggers, again, to avoid being downed in one hit.

That's no reason not to put an armored plate over it. Even if you leave some holes for air circulation, it would make hitting it a lot harder.
Isn't the Ansthar one of the oldest ships still being use the Ades Federation which would explain such a design flaw like that? The other flagsips are much more modern and heavily armored especially the Impetenous with its multiple claudia units.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 02:14   Link #1685
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Warships can be sent to the front line with huge, baffling design flaws. It's happened IRL. But the thing is, they either sink very fast, or get refitted to correct the flaw. The Federation has been at war with everyone for a while. A ship like that - whose weakness wasn't even a secret - should have been sunk by a vanship with a machine gun long ago.

To use the Death Star again... It's like, not only did the Empire circulate the plans for years, but the weakness isn't a single small hole that has to be hit with a torpedo at just the right angle. It's a target the size of the Sea of Tranquility, and a single laser hit anywhere on it will do the trick.
Old 2012-01-02, 02:33   Link #1686
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Warships can be sent to the front line with huge, baffling design flaws. It's happened IRL. But the thing is, they either sink very fast, or get refitted to correct the flaw. The Federation has been at war with everyone for a while. A ship like that - whose weakness wasn't even a secret - should have been sunk by a vanship with a machine gun long ago.

To use the Death Star again... It's like, not only did the Empire circulate the plans for years, but the weakness isn't a single small hole that has to be hit with a torpedo at just the right angle. It's a target the size of the Sea of Tranquility, and a single laser hit anywhere on it will do the trick.
Yeah, the problem with Ades Federation is that they never saw vanships as a means to be use for warfare so they didn't see it as a threat.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 02:49   Link #1687
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's not like it has to be a vanship. I only used that example because it'd allow others to kill a ship without exposing their own. Some kind of airburst fuze would have done as well.
Old 2012-01-03, 01:15   Link #1688
encia

Quote:
It's possible they use thrust to move, but that can't possibly all they use to stay in the air.

Doesn't matter. It's a warship, so compartmentalize the heck out of it so you can cut off damaged parts instead of sinking at the first mishap. Heck, even our civilian planes can cut the flow of fuel to their engines, if they need to. And if it was somehow a hit to a fuel tank, then they bloody well should have several of the buggers, again, to avoid being downed in one hit.

That's no reason not to put an armored plate over it. Even if you leave some holes for air circulation, it would make hitting it a lot harder.
If you recall from season 1, claudia loop cycle's length relates to the final lift height.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 15:48   Link #1689
Joachim1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
this brought me a momentary chuckle:

Spoiler for RUN VINCENT RUN!:

Well, Well, Well, With the Urbanus afloat and all, this changes things.

*goes to work on the Hero Ships some more*
LOL I guess Sophia made it real clear to Vincent what would happen to him if something bad happens to her Exile key...
Joachim1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 02:20   Link #1690
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Isn't the Ansthar one of the oldest ships still being use the Ades Federation which would explain such a design flaw like that? The other flagsips are much more modern and heavily armored especially the Impetenous with its multiple claudia units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Yeah, the problem with Ades Federation is that they never saw vanships as a means to be use for warfare so they didn't see it as a threat.
This. As you pointed out you can almost see the various ages of their fleet ships based on things like this and they got caught at the turn of new tactics they never saw coming since the majority of the nations are still using battleships and every time we've seen them go up against a battleship nation like Turan, Nodos, etc. we can see the Ades Federation is the best. The non-battleship nations are ones they couldn't have seen coming unless they were the pioneers of vanship combat themselves but they weren't and didn't consider them a threat until recently. Anatoray-Disith wasn't on Earth yet since they've only been here for two years and the Silvius was a complete mystery to them until ep 8, Glacies is hidden behind isolation and the Sky Pirates, the first known force to even broach the idea didn't even exist until after Ades started the war (using these battleships since their ships had to come first) since they are really just refugees from the conquered/annexed nations (as revealed in ep3), and even then they are still relatively primitive at the new strategy being barely armed and with weak main ships and unarmed vanships.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 02:39   Link #1691
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What about canon shells and shrapnel? They didn't see those as a threat, either?
Old 2012-01-05, 09:27   Link #1692
pewpewpew

Quote:
What about canon shells and shrapnel? They didn't see those as a threat, either?
Enough of a threat for them to put an armoured cupola around the whole thing. That would have provided some protection from horizontal attacks, but not from shells bursting overhead. I'm not arguing it's not a bad design, but they did have some consideration towards protection. With maneuvering ships exchanging long-range gunfire, it was probably thought a reasonable risk to take.

Last edited by pewpewpew; 2012-01-05 at 14:12. Reason: grammatical confusion!
pewpewpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 23:52   Link #1693
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
This OST is def a spring OST. Doesn't feel right listening in the winter....
Old 2012-01-06, 17:45   Link #1694
TheKage

So a few things that are on the top of my mind or are just my biggest reactions..

Spoiler for ep 11:

Spoiler for ep 12 speculation:

Atamora looks so different from what he looks like when he's not piloting a vanship,(when he found Fam, skyfishing, anything else but vanship piloting) I almost didn't think it was him.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 18:16   Link #1695
DangerMouse

Heh yeah a lot of the tracks do have a nice weather spring feel to them. Particularly those celtic-y tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpewpew View Post
Enough of a threat for them to put an armoured cupola around the whole thing. That would have provided some protection from horizontal attacks, but not from shells bursting overhead. I'm not arguing it's not a bad design, but they did have some consideration towards protection. With maneuvering ships exchanging long-range gunfire, it was probably thought a reasonable risk to take.
Yeah.

Also, I agree no one's saying it's a good design but as you say it's an understandable one for the time period (and no doubt likely compromises) of it's construction and what it was expected to go up against, plus the need to compromise in order to build around an existing non-customizable drive.

As you said it was attempted to be protected, and also note its quite small, from big battleships that fire at each other from long range which were mainly the only potent battle-ready aircraft. If we assume vanships aren't on the battlefield, if they took a hit from something powerful enough to really damage this section from battleship-level fire the hull and claudia drive is probably getting damaged so much that they are going down and if an enemy battleship got close enough to actually target this small section specifically with the relatively primitive almost manual targeting systems of non-Guild (and now probably Glacies) ships they'd probably be too close and getting mowed down by the Ades battleship's superior firepower and these aren't even their newest ships. Vanships (and ofcourse the cutting edge Silvius which combines lightweight speed with surprisingly potent experimental weaponry and vanship fighters, so it's pretty good at evading fire too and yet can still do damage as if it were a bigger battleship) throw a monkey wrench into this though ofcourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
So a few things that are on the top of my mind or are just my biggest reactions..

Spoiler for ep 11:

Spoiler for ep 12 speculation:

Atamora looks so different from what he looks like when he's not piloting a vanship,(when he found Fam, skyfishing, anything else but vanship piloting) I almost didn't think it was him.
Can't wait, it sounds really good

Spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-06 at 18:40.
Old 2012-01-06, 19:12   Link #1696
Shadow X
Stargazing

I really don't think Claus and Lavie will be appearing in this series and it is too fast to judge it this early.

Didn't Dio mentioned in episode 11 that Al lost people precious to her? These people precious to her might be Claus and Lavie...

Spoiler for Manga Speculation:

Everything is so uncertain. I really wish they animate Hourglass instead of this.
Old 2012-01-06, 20:23   Link #1697
Friday
Im shy too...

Spoiler for I see......:

on to the next episode......
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 22:13   Link #1698
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow X View Post
I really don't think Claus and Lavie will be appearing in this series and it is too fast to judge it this early.

Didn't Dio mentioned in episode 11 that Al lost people precious to her? These people precious to her might be Claus and Lavie...
Spoiler for ..:
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 02:47   Link #1699
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
This week on Last Exile...

Spoiler for Episode 12:

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2012-01-07 at 03:38.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 05:06   Link #1700
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow X View Post
Everything is so uncertain. I really wish they animate Hourglass instead of this.
This is the bigger story and I'm loving it I wouldn't want to choose, gimme both. Wouldn't mind if they animate the Hourglass manga and it's inbetween S1 and S2 story later so we can get the whole thing animated!

Spoiler:

Couldn't resist skimming through the raw think I'm going to like this, looks like some good buildup and the big moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
This week on Last Exile...

Spoiler for Episode 12:
Yeah, this really was a big moment I think once the subs come out I'll be watching this one a few times.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-07 at 06:17.

Tags
adventure, science fiction