AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 56 39.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 33.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 16.20%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 9.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.70%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-12, 09:02   Link #161
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Hell no. I think the Earring Subplot was stupid to begin with. Just you wait, they'll turn out to be magical Earrings of Fate, and will Deus Ex Machina an ending for us.
With the earring having a reflective surface, I think Alto will be able to spot an enemy from behind
Old 2008-05-12, 09:10   Link #162
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
With the earring having a reflective surface, I think Alto will be able to spot an enemy from behind
Or possibly blind him when his back is to the sun.
Old 2008-05-12, 09:12   Link #163
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
don't be silly.

When Alto recklessly charge into the fray and get caught in a situation where he is facing certain doom, a Vajra looming over him to administrate death

The earing will pulse and a space dolphin will fly out with animu spiritia and drive the VAJRA mad, thus allowing Alto to kill it and return to base.

Old 2008-05-12, 09:15   Link #164
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
don't be silly.

When Alto recklessly charge into the fray and get caught in a situation where he is facing certain doom, a Vajra looming over him to administrate death

The earing will pulse and a space dolphin will fly out with animu spiritia and drive the VAJRA mad, thus allowing Alto to kill it and return to base.

I would simultaneously cry and laugh if this happened.
Old 2008-05-12, 09:28   Link #165
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
To go back to the Sheryl date thing in regards to following Ranka/Michael... it was Sheryl who lead Alto onto the train when they run away from onlookers who noticed who she was... Alto took her to a farm to show it off since Sheryl was in awe of Frontier's scenery. It was Sheryl's idea to go to the Zentradi mall after the farm not Alto's and it wasn't like Alto was franticly looking for Ranka and Michael when he was with her.
Spot on. Really need to re-emphasis that Alto did not purposely go to the mall in search of Ranka & Michael, it was pure coincidence that he saw her singing. A lot of people are making the mistake that the Alto-Ranka side of the triangle is developed to the point of Alto being jealous, thereby making the triangle fully developed. I don't think we're there yet and there's still a bit more work to do on fleshing out the Alto-Ranka relationship.
Old 2008-05-12, 09:30   Link #166
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I have to get Alto's back in this ep. He is NOT going out with Ranka, why would have explain "oh hey, I was on a forced date that ended up being enjoyable with Sheryl".

If anything he sees Ranka as a friend or a some one that needs to be protected. I get almost zero romantic vibes from him in regards to Ranka.

Michel on the other hands seems to have an interest in her although from a rather subtle stand point.

Right now I see more of a romance quadrangle than the standard triangle. If anything it's a combination of the the 2 girls one guy found in SDM and the 2 guys one girl found in M7.

Actually after watching M7 I find that Basara- Melyene's relationship is closer to what Alto-Ranka's is.
Old 2008-05-12, 09:58   Link #167
cerrian

Quote:
They came up with it after they animated the pilot then, which was probably prepared at least a month in advanced of the manga. I doubt it was a scene they dropped out of Deculture simply because the whole "rescue" thing interrupted the entire battle/concert sequence, which it did. More than anything, that's why I can't forgive the Darn Earring subplot. Instead of a concert and a battle, we get Alto carrying Sheryl around.
From a production perspective, I'm willing the bet that the earring issue was part of the storyline from the beginning when they were writing the scripts and storyboarding their concepts. Keep in mind that by the time the Deculture version was broadcasted they would have most likely have already started production on eps 10+. At 4 months from airing, for them to insert a new and major subplot that requires new animation sequences and a rework of the storyline+script, it would be an immense disruption to their development schedule and resource allocation. They'd have to funnel in a ton of money and bring in more personnel to accommodate those level of changes. It's possible to do if there's enough money, but highly unlikely that the MF production team has that kind of extra resources. Then agian, if they did do a last minute change to accomodate the earring subplot like Wesley84 suggests, then my hat is off to the project managers and directors for pulling off one of the most seamless plot insertions I've ever seen.

I think what we saw instead was that the production team saw an opportunity to show off the CGs and music with the Deculture edition. Therefore edits were made to showcase the fights with the music at the expense of some character development time.

I doubt that this earring subplot is anywhere close to being finished. I wouldn't be surprised if it is used as a plot device all the way to the end.
Old 2008-05-12, 10:04   Link #168
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Spot on. Really need to re-emphasis that Alto did not purposely go to the mall in search of Ranka & Michael, it was pure coincidence that he saw her singing. A lot of people are making the mistake that the Alto-Ranka side of the triangle is developed to the point of Alto being jealous, thereby making the triangle fully developed. I don't think we're there yet and there's still a bit more work to do on fleshing out the Alto-Ranka relationship.
No one thinks Alto was jealous, and they were leaving the observatory, not boarding a train to take them to the other island. And, no, he wasn't intentionally looking for Ranka, but they probably wouldn't have ended up on the farm if he hadn't spotted her, since Sheryl was the one leading him around, and wouldn't have even known about the farm.

And as if Sheryl and Alto are some perfect couple.

Though I'm not really feeling anything from Alto. He kind of bores me aside from the Hime thing. I hope he doesn't end up being very important, and barely manages to get by the skin of his teeth. Maybe getting away from Ranka and Sheryl will do him some good.
Old 2008-05-12, 11:14   Link #169
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Though I'm not really feeling anything from Alto. He kind of bores me aside from the Hime thing. I hope he doesn't end up being very important, and barely manages to get by the skin of his teeth. Maybe getting away from Ranka and Sheryl will do him some good.
Right now, I'm feeling that Alto's importance is on a level of Hikaru's either just before, or after, his joining the military in SDF Macross...

As to the romance quadrangle: shouldn't it be a quintangle since Micheal also seems to be involved with Klan Klein?
Old 2008-05-12, 11:20   Link #170
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

>_< quintangle it is. what can we say, teenagers are hormone driven.
Old 2008-05-12, 11:24   Link #171
ReddyRedWolf

Did anybody catch that Frontier also had a Operation M contingency?
Old 2008-05-12, 11:26   Link #172
cerrian

What's an operation M?
Old 2008-05-12, 11:27   Link #173
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Right now, I'm feeling that Alto's importance is on a level of Hikaru's either just before, or after, his joining the military in SDF Macross...

As to the romance quadrangle: shouldn't it be a quintangle since Micheal also seems to be involved with Klan Klein?
I don't know who Hikaru is, and I meant long-term.

$10 bucks Klein volley fires once in the battle and is never heard from again.
Old 2008-05-12, 11:42   Link #174
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
I don't know who Hikaru is, and I meant long-term.
Hikaru Ichijyo, the main protagonist of SDF Macross (or Robotech's Rick Hunter).

Quote:
$10 bucks Klein volley fires once in the battle and is never heard from again.
A bet, I'll sadly say, you'll lose.

Old 2008-05-12, 11:47   Link #175
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
What's an operation M?
Operation M or Operation Minmei.

In Macross 7 it was a project concieved to bring in Zentradi without violence by use of music. Inspired by Lynn Minmei's effort to end the war.

But the project was pretty much in the back burner for 3 decades. That was why Nekki Basara was given a customised VF-19. Which wasn't in mass production at the time.

The project only came to be realized with contact with the Protodevlin, it's new Supervision Army and Chlore's Meltrandi fleet. (Meltrandi- female Zentradi)

All of which were successful due to Nekki Basara and Dr. Chiba's discovery of sound energy. Which was somehow amplified using fold physics.

Leon asked if they would try making the Vajra hear music but Frontier President Glass doubted that the Vajra would understand.

Oh crap don't tell me that new guy... Nah couldn't be.
Old 2008-05-12, 11:56   Link #176
cerrian

I really hope they don't go the Macross 7 route and use music as a plot device. Overall it was really bad for the franchise and really stunted Macross' growth into the sci-fi/mainstream populace. I'd rather see them maintain music's role as it is now...similar to how Macross Plus handled it.
Old 2008-05-12, 12:02   Link #177
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Also, if she pushes and ask why he was alone with Sheryl, he can ask why she was alone with Mikhail...
Wouldn't think that would phase Ranka that much. Only reason she was there with Mikhail was because he wouldn't stop following her and trying to get her to go home. In the end pushing on it wouldn't really help. Besides at worse have to deal with a question of why she was asking about something she already knew the answer to.

Anyways will be tough to resolve that since Alto isn't aware that Ranka knows he lied.
Old 2008-05-12, 12:03   Link #178
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
I really hope they don't go the Macross 7 route and use music as a plot device. Overall it was really bad for the franchise and really stunted Macross' growth into the sci-fi/mainstream populace. I'd rather see them maintain music's role as it is now...similar to how Macross Plus handled it.
Music is already a plot device. Vajra are coming out of the woodwork whenever Ranka sings or screams.
Old 2008-05-12, 12:48   Link #179
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Wouldn't think that would phase Ranka that much. Only reason she was there with Mikhail was because he wouldn't stop following her and trying to get her to go home. In the end pushing on it wouldn't really help. Besides at worse have to deal with a question of why she was asking about something she already knew the answer to.

Anyways will be tough to resolve that since Alto isn't aware that Ranka knows he lied.
Yeah, but Ranka lacks self-confidence. Alto could hurt her by pretending to be angry at her. It doesn't have to be logical. Of course, it would be counter productive, but he could.
Old 2008-05-12, 13:37   Link #180
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
hmmm....makes you think..

maybe M-Galaxy also had a Animu Spiritia singer, like Ranka but was undiscovered, thus the VAJRA "homed" in on the fleet?

if do, then i think it won't be long until the M-Frontier will be facing it's own attack.