+1 to mangatron. That post is spot on in all respects
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 15:22   Link #162
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
lol what a thread...now I normally avoid mindless, senseless debates like this, but I just have to say something.

First of all, what are you watching? Anime? From where? Japan? Ok, so why do you think there are anime like this? Huh? Did it come a country where things like this are non-existant or just plain wrong? Think about it...

How many animation in the U.S. has incest versus How many anime in Japan. Next, think about why these are two different countries with very much different rules, very much different way of living, very much different in practically all aspect of living, life and what not. So it shouldn't be surprising why anime like this doesn't appeal to you,

BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER INTENDED FOR YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE

And Lamune is slow to fast minded people, remember that. Especially people who crave something too much only to be hit by a reverse expectation.
Lol so true, this also applies to the thread females in anime.
Aristophanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 15:24   Link #163
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

The simple answer to the question:

It turns people on.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 15:32   Link #164
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristophanes
Lol so true, this also applies to the thread females in anime.
I would also like to add why there are always alot of girls in anime and alot of cute ones at that. Because I do hope those of you who get pissed of at that sort of thing, read my previous post, then add this:

Japan is a male dominated country. Now that's self explanatory.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 15:34   Link #165
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight
LMAO, first you said you're not defending it, but the next thing you mentioned Oedipus and all other crap to somewhat convinced that "it was already done so its okay" attitude shit. Just wow! congratulation! I guess I know where you stands now!
I meant that I was not defending the practice as what I said could have been twisted that way. It does not matter to me if it is in the show or not. I had no interest in watching Koi-kaze when I heard the story, but I am not going to stop watching Shana just because it had incestual twins.

Quote:
First of all, what are you watching? Anime? From where? Japan? Ok, so why do you think there are anime like this? Huh? Did it come a country where things like this are non-existant or just plain wrong? Think about it...

How many animation in the U.S. has incest versus How many anime in Japan.
Although I agree with what you said, I have to stab it. Incest (in general) is just as existant and wrong (as considered by society) in the US as it is in Japan. (Note: I am not saying that it happens at the same rates as crime statistics in Japan are grossly unreported.) If you really want to get cultural on it, it is considered less wrong in Japan in certain relationships (depending on the definition).

Also, this comparison you make with the animation production is comparing a bowl of apples and an empty bowl. Almost every cartoon that is made in america is made with either "good fighting evil" and "good triumphs", is made for kids, or contains some kind of moral or less for the viewing audiance. There are very few cartoons that are made for adults but one that does come to my mind was Spawn and it had rape in it. If someone actually made a cartoon for the US with controversial (or taboo) topics in it, it would never get aired. Therefore, this comparison is vacuous.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 15:39   Link #166
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Also, this comparison you make with the animation production is comparing a bowl of apples and an empty bowl. Almost every cartoon that is made in america is made with either "good fighting evil" and "good triumphs", is made for kids, or contains some kind of moral or less for the viewing audiance. There are very few cartoons that are made for adults but one that does come to my mind was Spawn and it had rape in it. If someone actually made a cartoon for the US with controversial (or taboo) topics in it, it would never get aired. Therefore, this comparison is vacuous.
It was just used as an example to tell the difference and to set up my closing words, and I did specifically used the word "animation", because I think the word "cartoon" doesn't really fit in with some "animated projects".

There is a very fine line between the two words, ja....
Old 2006-01-15, 16:11   Link #167
Cinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic
The simple answer to the question:

It turns people on.
Lol, yea pretty much, although i did stop watching Da Capa cuz it just got to be to much
Cinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 18:15   Link #168
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi
あのね。。。I'm a GIRL.
I can't tell.
Old 2006-01-15, 18:34   Link #169
PastPrime

For those who considered Kouta and Yuka in "Elfen Lied" as incest, two young adults, and think that never would happen in the U.S.A., you should run a search on Jerry Lee Lewis, the 50's rock star.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 18:42   Link #170
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

And that's the reason why we don't assume poster's gender over the net. :P

Anyway, I just like to say is that, choose what you want to watch. There's a ton of taboo relationships in anime; it's not just limited to incest. I stay clear of robo-girl ever since Chobits (how the heck did I ever finish it in the first place?), and avoid Shounen-ai and pedophilia (especially teacher/student relationships) like the plague. Shoujo-ai I would only watch if there's an interesting character (Tomari in Kasimashi for example), but apart from that you won't see me watch it even when I have nothing else better to do.

Incest on the other hand I have grown somewhat desynthesized to. It's kind of a requirement when the genre you enjoy the most is b-game based anime, since cousins appear all the time (only place where childhood friends regularly appear, which is my favorite cliche). Accepting Blood related incest is only another step forward, but in truth I blame the 2 incest mangas translated by Shoujomagic, since they are IMO just THAT good.

So either deal with it or don't watch it; that's my motto. XD
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 23:55   Link #171
Pleroma

I still Don't see why people must apply their own moral ideals to other's art forms. Personally I can enjoy pretty much anything if it is presented in an intelligent manner, all the people having a gut reaction to the incest theme are just showing their social conditioning rather than thinking for themselves and judging the work on its emotional impact.

Love is a weird thing like that, so as long the relationship is consensual (please don't throw "legal" age of consent here as its little more but a random number, lets go by biological maturity) I see nothing wrong with it. That aside, judge works by their actual content not by the their theme or you are likely to miss out on a whole lot of good things.
Pleroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 00:03   Link #172
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

My grandmother is my first cousin twice removed. My mother is my second cousin once removed. I am my own third cousin.

And I have a weak chin. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa.

I don't care if Nemu and Junnichi aren't really related. I think Nemu use of the word "Nii-san" is creepier than my grandparents being first cousins. I don't like the bell either.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 00:42   Link #173
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids!
I don't like the bell either.
You mean the cow bell around her neck? B-but the Juni gave it to her! So we shouldn't like him, not the bell
Old 2006-01-16, 02:38   Link #174
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
You mean the cow bell around her neck? B-but the Juni gave it to her! So we shouldn't like him, not the bell
It was her choice to wear it. Moo!
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 09:46   Link #175
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Leave the bell alone, it's cute It'd be even better if it was being worn by Kotori or Alice though.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 09:55   Link #176
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
I can't tell.
Baka! What boy would call himself "Chiibi" or have a bishounen as an avatar!?
Old 2006-01-16, 10:00   Link #177
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids!
My grandmother is my first cousin twice removed. My mother is my second cousin once removed. I am my own third cousin.

And I have a weak chin. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa.

I don't care if Nemu and Junnichi aren't really related. I think Nemu use of the word "Nii-san" is creepier than my grandparents being first cousins. I don't like the bell either.
Yeah, and I just don't like Nemu. She annoys the hell out of me with her stupid jealousy and her violent responses even though it's never Junnichi's fault. >XP
Old 2006-01-16, 12:56   Link #178
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
Leave the bell alone, it's cute It'd be even better if it was being worn by Kotori or Alice though.
I can imagine Kotori wearing that, and calling Juni "niisan", boy would we have a war between the Kotori fans
Old 2006-01-16, 14:37   Link #179
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I can imagine Kotori wearing that, and calling Juni "niisan", boy would we have a war between the Kotori fans
*sounds trumpt and leads the Charge

I don't really care whether a story has incest in it or not as long as the story is good. thats all I am looking for. I love Angel Sanctury for the overall story not because of the incest and didn't like Koikaze becuase i thought it was boring not becuase of the incest.

Althought i will admit to giving stories with a incest theme a closer look then other shows. but i will still drop them if I don't like the story.
Old 2006-01-16, 14:55   Link #180
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight
Bottom line = Incest is a no-no, and sorry but I just had to say this, Koi-Kaze was a loser's show with the author just trying to justify incest.
I thought the author very nicely portrayed why incest is considered such a taboo in many societies while you see it as if the author was trying to justify incest. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

Quote:
I can imagine Kotori wearing that
I thought Moe-senpai would look so hot with a Nemu-like bell. Just imagining about it can give one a nosebleed.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote