AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-04, 01:20   Link #161
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Talks like a loli, walks a loli, looks like a loli to me. Good enough.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 01:24   Link #162
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

There's shoulder-level Loli : Still Fine.

And there's waist-level Loli : Not so Fine
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 01:34   Link #163
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

There's two ways to define loli IMO: young age or petite size.

I used to think that only young age was a valid indicator, but having recently heard this is not the case from someone no less authoritative than Ayana Taketatsu and Kana Hanazawa, I am forced to defer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4z4O...el_video_title

Being DFC makes a character more loli IMO but is not a necessary factor to receive the title.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 01:44   Link #164
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Loli or not, I must say I found the first episode a quite entertaining affair. The haphazard scene transitions were somewhat of a bother at first, but either they went away as the ep progressed or I simply got used to them. While story wise it features the same concepts we have seen a dozen times before, it felt done right.

From the classic failed housekeeping attempts (I loved that spider scene ) to the immediate tension between the two heroines to Fear's obliviousness of the modern world and tantrums - i found the humor thoroughly entertaining. It wasn't of the "make me laugh out loud" variety, but managed to keep a grin on my face through the whole episode, which is quite enough for me.

The characters left a largely good impression as well - from the surprisingly understanding male lead that took everything in stride (Zomg, a male lead who doesn't overreact at every little thing and isn't a wimp by the looks of things ?) to Fear, whose tantrums are so obvious and transparent in their cause that it's hard to take them seriously (minus the property damage). Even Konoha, whose entrance and design left an exceedingly bland impression, turned it up a notch with her immediate and completely unsubtle horn-clashing with Fear. Good stuff all around.

Where the series goes from here remains to be seen (I guess a bit more serious version of Kore wa Zombie Desuka?), but even if the tone doesn't turn all too serious I probably wouldn't mind it, so long as they manage to keep on the over-the-top note they established in ep1.

On another note, That OP must have cost a fortune to animate. A rare treat for the eyes indeed.
Old 2011-10-04, 03:27   Link #165
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Déjà vu!
Well , give it 3-4 episodes at least.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 06:17   Link #166
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Loli or not, I must say I found the first episode a quite entertaining affair. The haphazard scene transitions were somewhat of a bother at first, but either they went away as the ep progressed or I simply got used to them. While story wise it features the same concepts we have seen a dozen times before, it felt done right.

From the classic failed housekeeping attempts (I loved that spider scene ) to the immediate tension between the two heroines to Fear's obliviousness of the modern world and tantrums - i found the humor thoroughly entertaining. It wasn't of the "make me laugh out loud" variety, but managed to keep a grin on my face through the whole episode, which is quite enough for me.

... On another note, That OP must have cost a fortune to animate. A rare treat for the eyes indeed.

I agree on a lot of what you wrote down Skyfall. This was an entertaining first episode to watch, especially Fear's character who for all intents and purposes should not be allowed to do housekeeping. Ever.

You mentioned a lot of the things that I liked about it so far including the OP. I love that OP sequence and the song itself. Nicely animated.
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 09:54   Link #167
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
This director (Shin Oonuma) went from being Shinbo's assistant --> director of ef ---> director of baka test --> director of baka test s2 --> to director of this. Talk about degrading quality

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-10-04 at 10:37.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 10:42   Link #168
jcdietz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
There's two ways to define loli IMO: young age or petite size.

I used to think that only young age was a valid indicator, but having recently heard this is not the case from someone no less authoritative than Ayana Taketatsu and Kana Hanazawa, I am forced to defer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4z4O...el_video_title

Being DFC makes a character more loli IMO but is not a necessary factor to receive the title.
Two VAs discuss the SERIOUS topic of lolis! News at 11! I will have to watch it later; it seems interesting.

The spider is a cyborg. The red eyes make it look like it. Real spider eyes are black and there's four of them, not two. But whatever. Real spiders can dodge your attacks, but you can usually get them after a few tries. Fear is really incompetent

Who wouldn't be kind to a girl as cute as her looking lost? Fear civilian clothes SO CUTE.

The childhood friend is too understanding; I want her to be more tsun. And the childhood friend is too understanding towards Fear also.

MC doesn't react to Fear having such a strange name. Fear is a really weird name - Imagine somebody naming their kid Fear. It shows that MC is used to such things.

It looks like lower budget animation. Like SHAFT, but not as bad as them (with lack of actual video frames).
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 19:45   Link #169
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

The ED is beyond awesome, not just the music but the visuals as well.

As for the episode, if what I heard is true then we're in for a ga-rei ep1 level trolling but let's see what happens.

The only thing I didn't like was the amount of panty shots.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 19:55   Link #170
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post

MC doesn't react to Fear having such a strange name. Fear is a really weird name - Imagine somebody naming their kid Fear. It shows that MC is used to such things.
Fear isn't human, she's a collection of cursed torturing devices (iron maiden, the wheel, the guillotine... etc), so nobody was going to give her a normal name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
The only thing I didn't like was the amount of panty shots.
What surprised me was there's not a single beam of light!

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-10-04 at 20:06.
Old 2011-10-04, 20:50   Link #171
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

It's not like the light of death is going to appear on random panty shots that appear to be on the rage Now if it's the typical scene of our MC finding Fear/Childhood friend dressing then we will be blinded. Surprised it didn't occur when he first met Fear (which sorta gave me that Denpa Opa vibe).
Old 2011-10-04, 21:02   Link #172
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
It's not like the light of death is going to appear on random panty shots that appear to be on the rage Now if it's the typical scene of our MC finding Fear/Childhood friend dressing then we will be blinded. Surprised it didn't occur when he first met Fear (which sorta gave me that Denpa Opa vibe).
You were saying ?

Old 2011-10-04, 21:23   Link #173
Bloss-Chan

I dont see it. (Maybe the sparkles)

How does it remind so many of Denpa Onna ?

The vibrant colors??
Bloss-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 21:30   Link #174
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloss-Chan View Post
I dont see it. (Maybe the sparkles)

How does it remind so many of Denpa Onna ?

The vibrant colors??
The vibrant colours should instead remind people of BakaTest and rightfully so since this is from the same studio, hell I could even identify some similar visual cues like the heart shape and exclamation marks in Fear's eyes depending on her mood, for the roses and pink 'strings' when Konoha's acting haughty...

My guess is because of Fear's light blue hair and that slow-head-turn-hair-wave-motion on first sight...

...Need more sparkles though.
Old 2011-10-04, 22:07   Link #175
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The vibrant colours should instead remind people of BakaTest and rightfully so since this is from the same studio, hell I could even identify some similar visual cues like the heart shape and exclamation marks in Fear's eyes depending on her mood, for the roses and pink 'strings' when Konoha's acting haughty...

My guess is because of Fear's light blue hair and that slow-head-turn-hair-wave-motion on first sight...

...Need more sparkles though.
That's the reason. The sparkles was a bonus as well.
Old 2011-10-04, 22:30   Link #176
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
That's the reason. The sparkles was a bonus as well.
They were more like Light rays, the glowing type, not the blinding type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post

As for the episode, if what I heard is true then we're in for a ga-rei ep1 level trolling but let's see what happens.
Yup, I can now confirm that.

Even though they were just words- the mental image I got from learning about Fear's past was not very nice to say the least. I don't think the Anime would actually show them all, but you never know...
Old 2011-10-05, 00:01   Link #177
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Episode 01

I have to say this was my first look at Fall 2011, and color me surprised, but I actually enjoyed ep 01. Honestly, like practically all novels that don't have a manga, I knew absolutely nothing of this series prior. While I'm still trying to remember where did I see that Allspark cube with a red eye before, but this wasn't a bad start to a series.

But reading the posts here, it looks like the end of ep 01 doesn't look like the rest of the way will be a picnic. Say guys, should I wait as each ep comes out and just watch the slice of life rom-com that may pop up from time to time and skip the rest of that?

And, after what happened with R-15 last season, I nearly get a heart attack when I sense a fanservice scene coming in the event I need to shield my eyes of the impending blindness that follows. THOROUGHLY enjoyed the lack of censors in this ep The pantsu! Ah the sight is such a wonderous beauty after I got seriously trolled by last season's Mayo Chiki (blast you, Chaos!) and R-15, not to mention the other series that season that weren't fanservicey to begin with.

Now before anyone thinks I'm in this series for Konoha (well maybe her big ones did make me doki doki a bit there ), but I detected a ponytail that seriously brings back (fresh) memories of a certain blue haired ponytail last season Count me in!

And while we're at it, I did some avatars for the ep, which I finally learned the quickest way to deal with an avatar of over 40 frames but most importantly, please someone use this one:

Now I would use this avatar, as this forum's premier ponytail lover, but I.... how do we say, have "reasons" why I'm not using this, let me tell you the reason isn't perverted like what my current avatar obviously spells out but yeah, maybe if someone asks I could do the other 2 girls. I did have this grand idea of stuffing the 3 girls' rotation in one avatar

Last edited by mangatron; 2011-10-05 at 00:11.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 00:09   Link #178
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Now I would use this avatar, as this forum's premier ponytail lover, but I.... how do we say, have "reasons" why I'm not using this, let me tell you the reason isn't perverted like what my current avatar obviously spells out but yeah, maybe if someone asks I could do the other 2 girls. I did have this grand idea of stuffing the 3 girls' rotation in one avatar
Wouldnt the file size be incredibly hard to cope with and make it choppy? Of course it would probably be for non-AS use then
Old 2011-10-05, 00:11   Link #179
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I have to say this was my first look at Fall 2010, and color me surprised, but I actually enjoyed ep 01. Honestly, like practically all novels that don't have a manga, I knew absolutely nothing of this series prior. While I'm still trying to remember where did I see that Allspark cube with a red eye before, but this wasn't a bad start to a series.

Quote:
But reading the posts here, it looks like the end of ep 01 doesn't look like the rest of the way will be a picnic. Say guys, should I wait as each comes out and just watch the slice of life rom-com that may pop up from time to time and skip the rest of that?
NO! You'll seat down and watch all the gruesome torture flashbacks and you will like it !

Quote:
And, after what happened with R-15 last season, I nearly get a heart attack when I sense a fanservice scene coming in the event I need to shield my eyes of the impending blindness that follows. THOROUGHLY enjoyed the lack of censors in this ep The pantsu! Ah the sight is such a wonderous beauty after I got seriously trolled by last season's Mayo Chiki (blast you, Chaos!) and R-15, not to mention the other series that season that weren't fanservicey to begin with.
Yes Mangatron, this show is to make up for all the wrong that has been done to you last season...

Quote:
Now before anyone thinks I'm in this series for Konoha (well maybe her big ones did make me doki doki a bit there ), but I detected a ponytail that seriously brings back (fresh) memories of a certain blue haired ponytail last season Count me in!

And while we're at it, I did some avatars for the ep, which I finally learned the quickest way to deal with an avatar of over 40 frames but most importantly, please someone use this one:

I'm utterly confused, I thought you like them small ? What's going on here?

Mah, either way:

Fear - Shimapantsu
Konoha - Meat
Girl no.3 - Ponytail
Old 2011-10-05, 13:46   Link #180
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ok - first and foremost I will say that on an overall level I would give ep 1 a 6.5 out of 10 rating. Meaning I liked it but was not heavily into it (as much as, say Chihayafuru or Tamayura Hitotose - and yes I know these are two very different shows).

Let's see ... after watching ep 1 I was reminded the most on a very general level of Kore wa Zombie desu ka. And for me that involved the things I liked about Zombie desu ka and the things I didn't.

Afaik the LN's both both C3 and Zombie desu ka are male teen targeted audience - which means fanservice to keep attention. I read what small portions of Vol 1 of the C3 LN have been translated on baka-tsuki and in that sense the anime is just animating what was in the novel. Another aspect is the slapstickish comedy elements complete with tsundere girl tropes ... I get tired of such things really fast. For me I felt that the fanservice and tropes and humor elements were really not that funny and outright boring at times (as in Zombie desu ka), and to be honest I am more interested in the overall story and characters.

I agree about the disorienting pace and visuals ... I tend to really dislike this with any visual medium to begin with, but I "suffered through it" and after a while things seemed to slow down a little. A little.

Now to the positive! I really like the male lead (as opposed to the male lead in Zombie desu ka) ... he was ... well, at least in ep 1 quite masculine in many ways. I really liked him).

But for me the biggest draw atm is the story itself - I find it quite interesting.

Afaict there is a physical location filled with ... erm .... grace? ... positive vibes? ... holiness? ... or something like that and the male lead is some sort of "shrine attendant" of sorts, but his being an attendant there is b/c he "harmonizes" with the goodness that flows into/out of the place on a personal level. And because of that his father (at least it seems) deliberately sends him items that have accumulated "negative vibes", curse energy, etc. and acquired an identity of their own to be "purified" there.

The purification seems to heavily involve a personality change - manly catalysted through interaction with the male lead. Afaict both Fear, Konoha and the as yet not popped up in the ep proper ponytail lady are all living examples of the same "type": i.e. cursed item acquire personhood and is in process of "de-cursing" itself.

The villain that popped up in the back of the cab seems to be a hunter of sorts who goes around killing such items like Fear, Konoha, etc. Why she does it is not clear - maybe she somehow "absorbs" the curse energy after illing them to become more powerful, maybe the energy is somehow "released into the world in general" when the cursed item is destroyed, maybe she is just an all around nasty character. Who knows? It could very well be she is an item herself who has consciously chosen to be a "distributor of negative vibes" or something?

Anyway - the story, at least as far as I have understood it from ep 1 of course, to me is very interesting (moreso than Zombie desu ka - whose main draw for me was the story and personality of Eu), and I hope there will be focus on personality growth and change of the items alongside all the other "tag on" elements. Of course there will be battle scenes as well - the PV's already showed those were coming.

So for now I will keep following the series....

Tags
action, comedy, ecchi, fantasy, shounen