AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

View Poll Results: Railgun Manga - Dream Ranker Arc Rating
Perfect 10 1 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 2 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 1 14.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 28.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 14.29%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-10-02, 10:48   Link #161
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom_Paperclip View Post
Sorry for cutting out the rest of your post.
No problem, I prefer it this way so I know exactly which part you're commenting on.

Quote:
I just want to point out that electromagnetism is broad. We're talking about one of the four fundamental forces which govern interactions between everything in the universe. Two of them, if you count the fact that electromagnetic forces and weak nuclear forces are both just manifestations of one electroweak force. If anything, the example which you followed up with is too narrow.
Perhaps, but I'd still say "athleticism" is a more accurate comparison point than "has hands".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 11:03   Link #162
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Hence my use of the word "rudimentary". It's still amazing though. Brain-brain interfaces exist and will only get better over time.

In any case, my point is that science has proven you can analyze and manipulate the brain with electromagnetism. The reason we cannot do so with a high degree of control is not because we lack the technology, but because we don't yet know how the brain works well enough. AC, on the other hand, being 20 years ahead, has obviously sorted out all those details since they were able to make something like Testament a reality.
I get that. I was in agreement with you on the part that you quoted and just putting out my two cents. (I didn't notice the word rudimentary since I was skimming and I just woke up and felt really tired).

Using EM forces and related quantities and vectors to alter the brain is definitely possible and I could definitely see Telepaths being able to do so that way thanks to Testament's existence.
Old 2014-10-02, 14:30   Link #163
Doom_Paperclip
lethal office stationery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Perhaps, but I'd still say "athleticism" is a more accurate comparison point than "has hands".
Really? On the face of it, electromagnetism seems simple enough. There are positive and negative charges. Equal charges repel and opposite charges attract. Even a five year old can get that. However, all the phenomena that branch from this elementary principle are anything but simple.

Electromagnetic phenomena include electric currents, magnetic fields, static electricity, electromagnetic radiation (from cosmic rays to visible light and all the way to long radio waves), chemical bonds (and by extension most of chemistry) and that's just off the top of my head. You can spend your whole life studying some of these and only have cursory knowledge on the rest. The subject is so vast, it takes several very different fields to cover every aspect of it.

Electromagnetism is the reason why solid objects are solid, why DNA dissolves in water and precipitates in ethanol and why ice is less dense than in liquid form. Electron transport across protein complexes is involved cellular respiration and photosynthesis. It would be easier to list the things electromagnetism doesn't have to do with.

I do not believe that "athleticism" can compare in breadth to a category of phenomena that underpin a significant percentage of everything. Even within the limited scope of human activities, "athleticism" only comprises a small fraction of the whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
I get that. I was in agreement with you on the part that you quoted and just putting out my two cents. (I didn't notice the word rudimentary since I was skimming and I just woke up and felt really tired).

Using EM forces and related quantities and vectors to alter the brain is definitely possible and I could definitely see Telepaths being able to do so that way thanks to Testament's existence.
Sorry about that. I had the feeling you might have been agreeing with me, but years on the Internet have primed me to go on the offensive when in doubt.

Well, it's good that we agree. No lasting harm done, I hope.

Last edited by Doom_Paperclip; 2014-10-02 at 14:42.
Doom_Paperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 18:43   Link #164
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
The way I see it, Mental Out and Electromaster are different applications of the same principle. Both rely on the manipulation of electromagnetic phenomena, but they make use of them for different ends. As such, their brains are highly optimized to perform their respective tasks, to the point where imitating each other would be very difficult, if not impossible.
This seems more plausible if this is what you meant. Though, I find it weird that it

1. doesn't work on animals.
2. doesn't work on the nervous system without first tampering with the brain.
3. can be used on herself, but not on OTHER Electromasters (assuming she's a level 5 esper using Electromaster type powers). You could try to argue that it works on herself because she's the one using the power, but I don't really know if I would buy that. After all, Mikoto can't willingly remove the electric interference from herself in order to approach kittens or other animals, so I would believe that a similar effect would come from Misaki. (Even in the case where her brain is structured differently, since AIM is propagated from all parts of an esper's body (something one of Aleister's AI's said in NT 5) I believe that Misaki would have similar electrical interference problems unless there were a very good reason for why this wouldn't be the case.

It could also admittedly be explained by Misaki's own ineptitude--marking why she is level 5 instead of level 6. In QM, mastering any fundamental aspect of nature basically lets you recreate the rest of it which is why any level 5 can conceivably reach level 6.

In your favor though: a remote can somehow amplify Misaki's powers. I find it reasonable to believe that this remote works by either using electricity or magnetism. So it probably can be used to amplify her powers which she says are harder to use otherwise. Though, even if Mental_Out is conducted using Electromagnetism, we still have far too little understanding of how that is actually supposed to work. I wonder if Dream Ranker is going to shed any light into that.

On a separate note: I also wonder if the way Mental_Out is supposed to affect other people is similar to how the Misaka network manages to communicate between Sisters.

Anyway, I find your theory as plausible (because there really isn't that much more to QM than EM and the other basic forces of nature), but we still need more clarification into how it is actually supposed to work and to why the arbitrary limitations I mentioned exist.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 20:40   Link #165
silverexorcist
Tropes/cliché expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
3. can be used on herself, but not on OTHER Electromasters (assuming she's a level 5 esper using Electromaster type powers). You could try to argue that it works on herself because she's the one using the power, but I don't really know if I would buy that. After all, Mikoto can't willingly remove the electric interference from herself in order to approach kittens or other animals, so I would believe that a similar effect would come from Misaki. (Even in the case where her brain is structured differently, since AIM is propagated from all parts of an esper's body (something one of Aleister's AI's said in NT 5) I believe that Misaki would have similar electrical interference problems unless there were a very good reason for why this wouldn't be the case.
Misaka's ability to manipulate electricity isn't the problem, it's the high level electromagnetic barrier that is perpetually around her body (especially her head, specifically the brain) that prevents Shokuhou's ability from working. Even if Shokuhou's ability is electric based, it doesn't mean she has a similar barrier around her head. That said, she CAN use her ability on everyone except for Misaka, since the sisters are lower levels, and thus possess weaker barriers. Unless I'm missing something.

Quote:
Not sure what you're trying to say here. She sets boundaries for her powers because they are hard to control otherwise. People have enough problems sorting out their own minds without having to worry about those of others. This is probably doubly true for Espers, who've had their brains actively messed with.

As for the animal thing, this is because Mental Out is probably optimized for use on humans. The minds of animals are very, very different and wouldn't react in the same way to stimuli. There are Espers in AC who are specialized in interacting with animals, like that one girl in the three legged race who could manipulate hamsters, or that other girl who could extract information from cats, but they are likewise unable to manipulate humans.

It may have been hasty for me to claim we won't get more explanations on Misaki's powers, but I seriously doubt it works through any other means than electromagnetic manipulation of the brain. I'll repeat myself here, I really don't see any evidence that suggests otherwise.
My point is just that Shokuhou's ability has too many aspects left to it to say that 'there's no reason to explain more'. It would be a waste of potential if Kamachi-dono just ignored the mysteries around Shokuhou's ability, since most of what we know about telepathy is speculation. We actually speculate more about telepathy, which is somewhat reasonable, than the unreasonable 11th dimensional teleportation.

As for the specialized espers who talk to animals, that's kind of a difficult point to make. After all, supposedly Shokuhou's ability 'has such a wide application, she has to set boundaries on herself'. That's a paraphrase, but basically she's not bound by the upper limits of her powers, but her self-imposed limits she makes in order to reign her power in. Granted, it's just my assumption that she would be able to manipulate animals if it wasn't for those limits. That's why this Dreamer Arc, which shows obvious signs of revolving around Academy City technology relating to the brain, is a good chance to talk about, not only Shokuhou's specific ability, but telepathy as a whole.

silverexorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 09:55   Link #166
Doom_Paperclip
lethal office stationery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
This seems more plausible if this is what you meant. Though, I find it weird that it

1. doesn't work on animals.
Espers don't just snap their fingers and make stuff happen (though it may look that way to an external observer). They have to calculate the ins and outs of every single action they perform in real time. For Misaki, this means decoding and rewriting the information from the roughly 86 billion neurons in a human brain. Even a generous estimate of the processing power she would need in order to do that put most computers in real life to shame.

Is it really so hard to believe that, having completely mastered all the nuances of the human mind, she is tapped to the point where she doesn't have the spare resources necessary to master animal minds on top of that? I mean, they have different brain structures, neuron and synapse count, mental structures and so on and so forth. You can't treat them the same way as human minds and expect the same results. In computer terms, it's like dealing with a wildly different operating system.

Quote:
2. doesn't work on the nervous system without first tampering with the brain.
If I get what you're saying, you believe that Misaki should be able to hijack a target's body directly by interfering with their motor neurons, bypassing their central nervous system entirely? That could work in principle, but there are a few points you have to remember:

1) The research leading into Mental Out's, and eventually Exterior's, development was a successor to Clone Dolly Project. The original goal was to mass produce geniuses, but they later concluded it was easier to brainwash already existing geniuses instead. Only, the value of a genius lies in their mind, not their body. The scientists in charge of the project wouldn't waste their time developing an ability that could control the latter but not the former. Controlling the mind lets you control the body anyhow, so it's obvious which ability would be better.

2) Getting an individual muscle to flex or relax is simple enough. Getting all the muscles in one's body to work in concert to perform complex movements is not. The calculations required to do this would be very complex. Again, I don't believe there is room in Misaki's brain for that type of manipulation which would, again, be redundant given the power she already has. Also, controlling an Esper's body alone does not let you control their power, further decreasing the usefulness of this manipulation.

Quote:
Misaka has a max output of about 200 billion volts. Misaki works with human brains, where the difference between a resting neuron and a firing neuron is 100 thousandths of a volt. We're talking 12 orders of magnitude's difference, so I believe it's safe to assume that Misaka's AIM has a much higher voltage than Misaki's.

Quote:
It could also admittedly be explained by Misaki's own ineptitude--marking why she is level 5 instead of level 6. In QM, mastering any fundamental aspect of nature basically lets you recreate the rest of it which is why any level 5 can conceivably reach level 6.
If by ineptitude you mean she cannot make as many calculations as Tree Diagram, then yes, Misaki, who probably has more calculating power than anyone who has ever lived in real life, is hopelessly inept. Try simulating an entire neural network on a cellular scale in your mind and see how that works out for you.

Quote:
In your favor though: a remote can somehow amplify Misaki's powers. I find it reasonable to believe that this remote works by either using electricity or magnetism. So it probably can be used to amplify her powers which she says are harder to use otherwise. Though, even if Mental_Out is conducted using Electromagnetism, we still have far too little understanding of how that is actually supposed to work. I wonder if Dream Ranker is going to shed any light into that.
The remote is actually a mental focus, a form of auto-hypnosis. She's trained herself to release her powers in preset ways at the push of a button so that she doesn't lose control of them, but the remotes themselves are mundane and may not, in fact, have any batteries in them or even be functional at all. Another example of this in the Raildexverse is how Musujime Awaki uses her flashlight to aim her Move Point power.

Quote:
Anyway, I find your theory as plausible (because there really isn't that much more to QM than EM and the other basic forces of nature), but we still need more clarification into how it is actually supposed to work and to why the arbitrary limitations I mentioned exist.
Honestly, you say we understand too little, but I really don't see what you're talking about. We have solid reasons to believe she uses EM to manipulate brains. Any limitations on the ability are due to a lack of the proper calculations. What more do you need? Please help me to understand, because I truly honestly do not understand what you're trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverexorcist View Post
That's why this Dreamer Arc, which shows obvious signs of revolving around Academy City technology relating to the brain, is a good chance to talk about, not only Shokuhou's specific ability, but telepathy as a whole.
I sort of argued against most of your points in my response to dniv, so I'm going to point out that an awful lot of arcs revolve around Academy City technology relating to the brain. The very first arc in Railgun, for instance. I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

Also, you speak as if there were only one kind of telepathy, but that needn't be the case. Keep in mind that there was one telepathic girl in Misaki's clique, Kobayashi Shimanaka, who could communicate telepathically with Misaka, indicating that her telepathy is an entirely different thing. In Index Volume 6, one variant of telepathy shows up that actually consists in transferring sounds to targets through invisible vibrating tubes of air. There is no proof that Mental Out is representative of all mental powers in AC, or even most of them.
Old 2014-10-03, 17:27   Link #167
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Spoiler for response to Doom_Paperclip:

Last edited by dniv; 2014-10-03 at 21:37.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 20:45   Link #168
Chosen_Hero

Please use the spoilers tag, the posts are getting bigger by the page.
Old 2014-10-04, 17:12   Link #169
Doom_Paperclip
lethal office stationery

Spoiler for response to dniv:
Old 2014-10-05, 20:29   Link #170
rladls2121

To think that this series continues after the festival arc.
I'm quite surprised.

Mikoto, of course why would she do something beneficial to Misaki after all the humliation she has given to Mikoto?
And Gekota, Mikoto really loves it doesn't she?

Mikoto and Misaki, it seems like they are going to interact in many ways in the future, whether in dream or reality.
I'm thinking they would be thanking each other someday if they have no "tsun" anymore.
But really, this is what is going on between those two while Touma is fighting enemies to more stronger enemies in the future.

I'm really looking forward to Railgun's future arc during God Right Seats arcs.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 13:09   Link #171
Pablete
Banned

New chapter spoilers:

> Misaki appears, talking with Mikoto.
> Aogami surrounded by a group of thugs attacking him.
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 13:26   Link #172
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Aogami? hoho
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 13:27   Link #173
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Maybe Aogami's a sponge of bad luck? He's taking Touma's misfortune for a bit.?

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 13:28   Link #174
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

We all know why Aogami is appearing so much.

Kill Point!?
Old 2014-10-24, 13:29   Link #175
Pablete
Banned

Later he appears unscathed.
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 13:33   Link #176
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

"...I'm glad with just sharing the happiness inside my dream with everyone"

It was Aogami's dream? apparently? lol
Old 2014-10-24, 13:40   Link #177
Kwikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablete View Post
> Aogami surrounded by a group of thugs attacking him.
It will be interesting, I still think Aogami is #6.
Kwikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 13:41   Link #178
rladls2121

Makes me think Aogami is from the Science Side.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 15:30   Link #179
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

I'd remove those since you can get banned. Apparently.
Old 2014-10-24, 16:38   Link #180
Wandering Soul

We already knew Aogami was a delinquent like Touma so it's not that surprising that he is surrounded by thugs.