Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-02-06, 14:45   Link #161
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Waste of time. He might not have surrendered immediately, and then it's right back to "I'm going to kill Inami".
You have strange idea of what constitutes a waste of time, if you think one minute of trying a way that won't potentially get you or someone else killed is one.

What about warning shots? Are those also a waste of time (and bullets) since the criminal might not surrender immediately?

Quote:
What, back when all she had was a hunch that Inami was the Gravedigger?
If she didn't have a logical argument then the fact that Inami was the culprit was just dumb luck and Hondomachi is a walking mine that can potentially pull that kind of stunt to a completely innocent person.

Quote:
And if she hadn't, he might have escaped and killed again.
He could have also killed her, Matsuoka, and then escaped and killed again.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-06, 15:48   Link #162
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Waste of time. He might not have surrendered immediately, and then it's right back to "I'm going to kill Inami".
It's not in her authority to make that call, logical or not. Hondomachi was not in enough immediate danger to warrant calling it self-defense either.

She could certainly threaten the death penalty after a due process ending in conviction, but the way she handled it makes it look like she really could have killed Inami without batting an eye.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-06, 18:14   Link #163
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
It's not in her authority to make that call, logical or not. Hondomachi was not in enough immediate danger to warrant calling it self-defense either.
It looks to me like she was just bluffing to provoke an emotional reaction and keep Kazuta off balance. And it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
You have strange idea of what constitutes a waste of time, if you think one minute of trying a way that won't potentially get you or someone else killed is one.
I'm pointing out that the two courses of action are basically the same, with the same outcomes, except that by going directly to "I'm going to kill her", Hondoumachi leaves Kazuta less time to think of a way out. If Kazuta was the type to surrender just because they had a hostage (which BTW isn't a legal thing for police officers to do, not that Hondoumachi's approach doesn't have problems on that front), he could yell his surrender just as well when she talked about killing Inami.

And if he's not, then what? Shout progressively less credible threats while Kazuta decides on his best course of action?

The only way it could have helped is if Kazuta was the type to negotiate and they could have kept him busy with a nice long chat. Did he look talkative to you?

Quote:
What about warning shots? Are those also a waste of time (and bullets) since the criminal might not surrender immediately?
Depends on the circumstances. When the guy is rushing you at close range with a knife, then yes, absolutely. Don't fire warning shots.

Quote:
If she didn't have a logical argument then the fact that Inami was the culprit was just dumb luck and Hondomachi is a walking mine that can potentially pull that kind of stunt to a completely innocent person.
She had a hunch, so she pressed Inami until she gave herself away. In minutes. It's a valid police tactic. And should she do it to an innocent person, then I guess she can apologize and walk away. What of it?

Quote:
He could have also killed her, Matsuoka, and then escaped and killed again.
Indeed, that could have happened. There was no safe course of action, unless you count "the cops walk away alive but the serial killers go free for now" as acceptable. I'm just saying that the course she picked wasn't the riskiest.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-07, 08:54   Link #164
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
I'm pointing out that the two courses of action are basically the same, with the same outcomes, except that by going directly to "I'm going to kill her", Hondoumachi leaves Kazuta less time to think of a way out. If Kazuta was the type to surrender just because they had a hostage (which BTW isn't a legal thing for police officers to do, not that Hondoumachi's approach doesn't have problems on that front), he could yell his surrender just as well when she talked about killing Inami.
The point is that Hondomachi couldn't know for sure that it wouldn't have worked, but the non deadly path was never considered by her.

Quote:
Depends on the circumstances. When the guy is rushing you at close range with a knife, then yes, absolutely. Don't fire warning shots.
That's really not a situation that can be compared to Hondomachi's situation.
She wasn't under direct threat at that time and she decided to bluff to lure the killer out. She had the option to bluff to make the killer surrender or bluff to make the killer attack her, which would only end in either her or the killer dying.

She chose the option that would led to a casualty before even trying the option that would solve the situation without bloodshed. Which is literally not what a policeman should ever do.

Old 2020-02-07, 12:12   Link #165
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
She wasn't under direct threat at that time and she decided to bluff to lure the killer out. She had the option to bluff to make the killer surrender or bluff to make the killer attack her, which would only end in either her or the killer dying.

She chose the option that would led to a casualty before even trying the option that would solve the situation without bloodshed. Which is literally not what a policeman should ever do.
She was under direct threat.

Kazuta had the high ground, so she couldn't tell when he was coming to attack, and he already proved that he was deadly with those knives. If he managed to surprise them, one or both of them could really have died.

If they tried to bluff to force his surrender, he would have just called it.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-08, 07:47   Link #166
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
The point is that Hondomachi couldn't know for sure that it wouldn't have worked, but the non deadly path was never considered by her.
Taking a hostage isn't a non-deadly path.

Again, it's no different from what she did aside from minor tweaks to presentation, and leaving Kazuta more time to either flee or counter-attack. You could, I suppose, argue that those tweaks would have had a greater chance of persuading him to surrender, but I find that doubtful.

Quote:
That's exactly the situation she was in when she actually shot at him. If not then, when should she have shot "warning shots", and where should she have aimed them?
Old 2020-02-08, 08:17   Link #167
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
She was under direct threat.

Kazuta had the high ground, so she couldn't tell when he was coming to attack, and he already proved that he was deadly with those knives. If he managed to surprise them, one or both of them could really have died.
That simply doesn't make sense. Hondomachi knew that he was upstairs, but she didn't know where he could attack from?

Quote:
If they tried to bluff to force his surrender, he would have just called it.
Since he fell for the bluff of an officer shooting an unharmed criminal, what makes you think so?

Quote:
Taking a hostage isn't a non-deadly path.
It is if it's a bluff.

Quote:
Again, it's no different from what she did aside from minor tweaks to presentation, and leaving Kazuta more time to either flee or counter-attack.
It's the same thing you could say for warning shots. Firing warning shots always entails an increased risk of the criminal fleeing. Do I really need to explain why then "warning shots" is a thing?

Quote:
That's exactly the situation she was in when she actually shot at him. If not then, when should she have shot "warning shots", and where should she have aimed them?
She didn't pull her bluff when he was attacking her, she pull it when he retreated upstairs. And she didn't do that to prevent herself from being attacked but to force him to attack her. Basically she did it to prevent Kazuta from fleeing, which is why I compared the situation to the one where you usually fire "warning shots". Because "warning shots" are fired when a criminal is fleeing not when they are attacking you.

And yeah I didn't say that Hondomachi should have fire warning shots, I used that as a comparison.

Old 2020-02-08, 08:31   Link #168
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
She didn't pull her bluff when he was attacking her, she pull it when he retreated upstairs. And she didn't do that to prevent herself from being attacked but to force him to attack her. Basically she did it to prevent Kazuta from fleeing, which is why I compared the situation to the one where you usually fire "warning shots". Because "warning shots" are fired when a criminal is fleeing not when they are attacking you.

And yeah I didn't say that Hondomachi should have fire warning shots, I used that as a comparison.
Her main intent wasn't to prevent him from fleeing, but to kill him with her own hands. And like I said earlier, I'm pretty sure she planned the whole thing so she could obtain particles from Inami, even though she had already confessed. It turned out for the best this time, but I can understand why Matsuoka would be pissed off and think she's a danger to those around her.

To me, waiting for back-up and holding the position would have been the most sensible course of action. Certainly better than outright provoking him.
Old 2020-02-08, 08:48   Link #169
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
That simply doesn't make sense. Hondomachi knew that he was upstairs, but she didn't know where he could attack from?
Presumably she doesn't know the house nearly as well as he, so, no.

Quote:
Since he fell for the bluff of an officer shooting an unharmed criminal, what makes you think so?
Precisely because of what he did. He didn't yell "Stop, I'll surrender". He gave the assault.

Quote:
It is if it's a bluff.
Not even then, especially if the guy believes you. Because, as we saw, the guy may choose to attack.

Quote:
It's the same thing you could say for warning shots. Firing warning shots always entails an increased risk of the criminal fleeing. Do I really need to explain why then "warning shots" is a thing?
Warning shots are situational.

Quote:

Seeing as your comparison only obfuscates your point instead of making it clearer, it's not a very good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Her main intent wasn't to prevent him from fleeing, but to kill him with her own hands. And like I said earlier, I'm pretty sure she planned the whole thing so she could obtain particles from Inami, even though she had already confessed. It turned out for the best this time, but I can understand why Matsuoka would be pissed off and think she's a danger to those around her.

To me, waiting for back-up and holding the position would have been the most sensible course of action. Certainly better than outright provoking him.
Probably. Unless she worried about the knife sticking out of Matsuoka's back. Or what Kazuta might do if she let him think. (Would he escape? What other weapons does he have in the house? Explosives?)
Old 2020-02-08, 09:12   Link #170
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
What I said was they couldn't tell when he would attack, since they couldn't see him from their position.

He could easily have jumped off and taken one or both of them out if they were unlucky or distracted.

As Anh Minh pointed out, he knows the terrain better than they do, and could have gone around to attack from somewhere else too.

Quote:
It's one thing to bluff that you'll shoot someone, it's another entirely to pretend that you've actually already shot them. The basics of deception is not giving the opponent time to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Waiting where they were could easily have gotten them killed. Really, they should have tried barricading themselves in another room until backup arrived.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.

Last edited by Endscape; 2020-02-08 at 12:41.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-08, 10:45   Link #171
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Waiting where they were could easily have gotten them killed. Really, they should have tried barricading themselves in another room until backup arrived.
Moving, especially in a house they don't know and with a prisoner, has its own hazards.

Really, there was no perfect course of action. It's hard to say Hondoumachi chose the best, but I really don't think she picked the worst, either.
Old 2020-02-09, 16:25   Link #172
Irenesharda

Probably the best episode we've seen in a while.

But come on, really? You couldn't have written RED HERRING and SET UP across the screen in bright red marker and not have been more obvious than this episode was.
Momoki is soooo not the killer/John Walker it hurts.

Handomachi as a detective is okay, but honestly, she's the least interesting of all of them so far. Her outfit is horrible and her attitude is way too cold. Similar to what we saw when she killed Kazuta. Sakaido at least has a compassion about him when he goes into the well. And why is she the only one with a full name? Is it because she's more compatible? Because she's a girl? What?

It was cool that we got to fill in the blanks with Sakaido's past and his well. His wife killed herself and he just up and rang the doorbell and filled his daughter's killer full of holes. Don't blame him honestly.
I'm a little confused about this particle business. So, the wells stay around even after death? And yet in episode 1, we see that the id wells change based on real-time. How can that be? Wouldn't the id well die if the person it's connected to does in that case?

Anyway, other than that, it was kind of sad to see Sakaido's well and that it began the moment of his daughter's death and just keeps going. Also how he tried his best to save people by sacrificing himself.

I don't think Sakaido believes Momoki is John Walker, but he needs to be sure. Because if he is, he'll probably kill him himself after pretending to be his friend all this time. But I'm 98% sure that he's not so we'll have to find who the real killer is (and I have a pretty good idea who at this point.)

Also, do these killers get a trial at all? Because they seem to just stick them in this facility and call it a day. And they're stuck in there like, a day after they're caught. It's just interesting that they would do that.
And why do they keep sticking them right next to Sakaido? Do they really have that little room in this weird future prison?

So now things are heating up but how are they going to get Handomachi out of a well within a well? This isn't Inception so I'm not sure how she would be able to release herself. How do you even do that? How do you upload someone's cognition particles into a "machine" in someone else's id?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-09, 17:04   Link #173
GDB

We knew they stick around after death, because they had Fukoda (I think that was his name) dive into the sniper's well after he had already commit suicide.

As for updating in real time, I don't think it's a guarantee. They seemed surprised that Narihisago's well was linked to his present self, after all.

As for the real John Walker... yeah this is such an obvious set-up. None of that evidence is concrete, and can be easily faked. And the one with the easiest means of doing so is the old man whose name I forget but is his boss. Who better to set you up via having your computer access incriminating data than your boss who can likely circumvent any passwords you set up?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-09, 17:28   Link #174
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
We knew they stick around after death, because they had Fukoda (I think that was his name) dive into the sniper's well after he had already commit suicide.

As for updating in real time, I don't think it's a guarantee. They seemed surprised that Narihisago's well was linked to his present self, after all.

As for the real John Walker... yeah this is such an obvious set-up. None of that evidence is concrete, and can be easily faked. And the one with the easiest means of doing so is the old man whose name I forget but is his boss. Who better to set you up via having your computer access incriminating data than your boss who can likely circumvent any passwords you set up?
We've seen the wells update when the Perforator kidnapped Handomachi and suddenly she was now in his well. It's just weird to me that if the id well represents the person's id in real-time and how it changes. The whole thing should just fall apart when they die. But then again, how do I know how "cognition particles" work?
I mean, how were the particles still in the house if something as simple as the wind can carry them away? Your telling me no wind or breeze has ever come through that house in all that time?

Momoki is definitely getting set up, but it IS damning evidence. I mean, how did he not notice someone dug up his yard and buried a body there who knows how long ago? And they probably planted his fingerprints on stuff and planted the real JW's clothes there as well. And then all the computer records. And with Japan's legal system the way it is, especially in this universe which doesn't seem to do much of a trial with these killers, he might get tossed in prison in no time.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-02-09, 17:55   Link #175
Shadow5YA

Personally I found the whole pi sequence to be more contrived than anything else. As if anyone would be able to recognize anywhere near beyond 10 million digits of pi

I suspected the real John Walker was the department chief along, so framing Momoki wasn't much of a surprise. Even if John Walker's face was censored, we could see he was a middle-aged male with a beard. The only one who fits that profile is the chief.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-09, 17:55   Link #176
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
We've seen the wells update when the Perforator kidnapped Handomachi and suddenly she was now in his well. It's just weird to me that if the id well represents the person's id in real-time and how it changes. The whole thing should just fall apart when they die. But then again, how do I know how "cognition particles" work?
I mean, how were the particles still in the house if something as simple as the wind can carry them away? Your telling me no wind or breeze has ever come through that house in all that time?

Momoki is definitely getting set up, but it IS damning evidence. I mean, how did he not notice someone dug up his yard and buried a body there who knows how long ago? And they probably planted his fingerprints on stuff and planted the real JW's clothes there as well. And then all the computer records. And with Japan's legal system the way it is, especially in this universe which doesn't seem to do much of a trial with these killers, he might get tossed in prison in no time.
Or maybe it'll depend on whether they can find his murder particles...
Old 2020-02-09, 18:30   Link #177
Irenesharda

Well, they would have to in order to enter his well and that is what they are hinting at. Though, myy guess is either someone is going to plant particles (however that works) or the real killer's particles will be there and they will assume that they are Momoki's. I mean, it's not like the particle ID their owners or anything. The only reason the machines can ID them is if they have them on record. All the unknown killer's particles are just given the name of the killer they are hunting at the time.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-02-09, 18:44   Link #178
4th Dimension

I'm pretty sure the reason Perforator's well updated back then is because they ran into more particles, that is Hondoumachi's own murder particle detector detected them and uploaded them while she was being grabbed.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-09, 18:58   Link #179
Applehell

I'm with the group thinks its the chief although it's more of a feeling than anything concrete. Momoki is way too obvious of a red-herring even if we suppose he's hiding something.

EDIT: Also his reaction to seeing Muku and Sakaido's wife is was far too sincere and it seemed like their deaths affect him too emotionally. It's hard to buy he be the mastermind who would deliberately get he had attachment to like that killed.

Last edited by Applehell; 2020-02-09 at 19:14.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-09, 19:12   Link #180
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Miyo Hijiriido. Her appearance didn't change but I really like her outfit. Hat and mantle inspired by Sherlock Holmes and she's wearing short shorts, thigh highs and presumably a sports bra underneath. Unlike Anaido, she has a survival instinct, and unlike Sakaido, she doesn't go out of her way to save people but will still do it if it doesn't impede her mission. That may make her the best brilliant detective out of the three, as she's completely focused on solving the mystery no matter what.

Momoki is finally getting some screentime. He was said to be the second most important character after Narihisago, so it's about time. And of course he's not John Walker. I really hope it's not the director though, way too obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Wells don't update themselves, they're a snapshot of a killer's ID. Fukuda/Perforator's well only updated because he was holding the activated Wakumusubi. Narihisago is a special case, and they're speculating it's because he's been diving so much. Maybe his mind is linked to the machine now or something. No clue why his Well can enable one to dive into the Well of the girl Momoki saved. Some are saying she might be Kaeru because she looks like her, but I don't see it.