AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-02-22, 13:14   Link #161
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
There are not enough words to describe just how embarrassing that was.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 22:44   Link #162
Yye1
Wide Right

if only Max Pacioretty was involved, then it might be different

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 22:51   Link #163
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
if only Max Pacioretty was involved, then it might be different
Yeah, perhaps. It's not for nothing that he is the Habs' top sniper this year. But even then, the result against Finland was not something that can be narrowed down to one or a few players.

Sometimes, coaches make strange decisions and send out players who may not be the right ones to make a difference.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 04:10   Link #164
konart

Cross country - men's 50km - wow.

Not Gonna Get Us!
Old 2014-02-23, 08:34   Link #165
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'm like the oddball Canadian who doesn't sporadically worship hockey, but it makes me proud seeing just how strong our team is every year in hockey. Very few things kick more national ass than watching the team play even stronger at the most tense game.

[EDIT] 3-0 with some AMAZING plays. Much deserved props, Canada.

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2014-02-23 at 09:19.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 09:35   Link #166
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I'm in Seventh Heaven, right now.

I expected another nerve-breaking game to be fully honest, but never expected this game to be controlled so well by Canada. It felt so different from the Salt Lake City and Vancouver finals. Congratulations to Team Canada for winning a first gold medal in men's Olympic ice hockey outside of North America since 1952 (Oslo).

Let's make way for the closing ceremony now.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2014-02-23 at 10:22.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 10:08   Link #167
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
To be fair, Sweden was missing some of their best players (Backstrom, Henrik Sedin, Zetterberg).

Still, that was one of the most dominating 3-0 games I've ever watched. A well-deserved Gold Medal for Canada in both men's and women's hockey!
Old 2014-02-23, 11:18   Link #168
Ragna92

Yes team Canada!
Ragna92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 14:12   Link #169
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Nice job by Canada. Certainly a complete team effort in taking down Sweden. There was just no standing against that team. They just smothered the offense of every team they went up against.
Old 2014-02-23, 14:49   Link #170
JagdPanther

Well... at least we closed out with a medal in 4-man bob. Two Olympics in a row with a medal in the event when we hadn't medaled at all in the event in 52 years. Held on by the thinest of margins. I see Sweden let me down, though.

I love the Winter Olympics. It's my favorite time of every 4 years. But this go around felt so... weird.

Despite the fact that we ended the medal count 2nd, this felt like a letdown Games for Team USA. Speedskating (long and short-track) was almost a 100% disaster if not for the Silver in the very last event of either type. So many other missed opportunities.

It's not even that our press tried to build up some of these athletes bigger and better than they were; most were literally ranked the best in their fields. Hannah Kearny, for example who earned Bronze in Women's Moguls, was pretty much the best skiier in her sport since Vancouver when she won Gold. She dominated the World Cup circuit. Shaun White landed his iPod-defeating move in practice, but couldn't do it in the final (though I still respect the hell out of him for how classy he is, even if I find most people in his sport strange). Bode Miller.... was Bode Miller. Something about the Olympics causes him to just lose it, despite his enormous success outside of them. The outlook for Team USA Alpine skiing looks... bleak... without him, as he probably will retire. The guy has loads of talent, but the pressure of the Olympics got to him frequently in final runs, it seems. When he was in the zone, he was phenomenal, and Team USA will miss him. I don't know if the other guys can develop to be all-around contenders like Miller has been.

And hockey.... ugh. Some people may be upset with this reaction, but I am embarrassed about that women's gold medal game. How do you blow a 2 goal lead like that with 2:29 left? The men rolling over against Finland... I'm sorry, I'm of the mind that even after a tough defeat you don't just throw in the towel.

This would've been Team USA's best Winter Olympics ever if so many of the foregoing things hadn't happened... But, it is what it is. And there were actually plenty of unexpectedly good outcomes. We medaled for the first time in some events in which we haven't medaled in decades, like 2-man bob. We weren't expected, actually, to medal in Men's Slopestyle and we ended up taking gold. Took first individual luge medals in forever, first Skeleton medals in 12 years...

There were a lot of good outcomes. But so many bad ones have left a bad taste in my mouth as a completely unapologetic nationalistic rah-rah fan of Team USA. I like seeing the best compete, but I love even more to see my country do very well, better than others (especially those countries I view as rivals of the USA in the mostly the same sports, which is why I don't really mind when Norway performs better because we just don't really contend for the same medals). There were a lot of moments during these games where felt Team USA really lost itself. I hope we'll see a big rebound in Pyeongchang in 4 years.... though some may say, "rebound from what? 28 medals is great..." We'll see. The clock starts now. Let's get ready, Team USA.

Old 2014-02-23, 22:05   Link #171
Yye1
Wide Right

Alright!! Pretty good Winter Olympics for Canada, now I am ready to face the depression that is Canada's performance in the Summer Olympics in Rio.

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
Old 2014-02-23, 23:42   Link #172
Wigwams

so the terrorists didnt succeed in their planned attacks?
Old 2014-02-24, 09:31   Link #173
Xagzan

Annnnd my Winter Olympics withdrawal begins...now.

*gets into fetal position*
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 10:11   Link #174
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Annnnd my Winter Olympics withdrawal begins...now.

*gets into fetal position*
The Paralympic should start in only a few day if you are interested.
Old 2014-02-24, 11:37   Link #175
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
The Paralympic should start in only a few day if you are interested.
March 7th is the official start of the Paralympics.

As always, the closing had some absolutely beautiful numbers marred almost completely by NBC's official disdain for the preceding and the American audience. NBC/Comcast has little to no respect for any involved in the Olympics. The athletes are routinely shortchanged as their award ceremonies are either completely forgotten are shunted off to the side only for the briefest of moments to be witnessed. The games themselves are often either completely miss-shot or willfully and misguidedly edited (the complete misunderstanding of Curling left many games needlessly edited for reasons completely nonsensical), and while the commentary on the television broadcast were often good to great (Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski and Terry Gannon were phenomenal on the Live broadcast of Skating), the online Live feeds were often woefully miscast. Worst of all, NBC seems to have a complete disdain for their audience's intelligence, effectively eliminating any of the mystique and beauty of the events. I can stomach the editing of the removal of one set piece and the set-up of another, but entire sections of the Closing were removed, and what was seen was either shot wrong or needlessly talked over (by three old men who seemed to have no respect for what they were seeing). It was all so needlessly frustrating.

Congratulations to all the winners, and much respect for all the participants. I still believe in the Olympics (yes, I'm a romantic at heart ), and I still have the same child-like enjoyment watching the events. I just wish NBC had even half the enthusiasm I have for the pageantry, pomp and circumstance of the presentation as well as the camaraderie of the events.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 21:14   Link #176
JagdPanther

I learned that the online live feeds are not NBC's decision. It's actually the Olympic Broadcast Service, which provides feeds to each nation's TV service. The commentators are either OBS employees (for the major languages) or the TV service's employees (for lesser-spoken languages). So, the English-language online feeds were definitely OBS, not NBC. I actually thought the online feed guys were phenomenal for the sports I most watched (any sledding, biathlon, cross-country, ski jumping, etc.).

Old 2014-02-26, 07:08   Link #177
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

The only event of interest during this facade was the public flogging of a ridiculous punk band by a government supported paramilitary group.
Old 2014-02-27, 03:12   Link #178
Yye1
Wide Right

Olympics over, TIME TO FOCUS ON MARCH MADNESS!!

Old 2014-02-27, 10:19   Link #179
james0246

Quote:
Olympics over, TIME TO FOCUS ON MARCH MADNESS!!
To be fair, the Paralympics will start on March 7th, and I guess this is as good a thread as any to use to discuss those games.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 18:01   Link #180
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Alright!! Pretty good Winter Olympics for Canada, now I am ready to face the depression that is Canada's performance in the Summer Olympics in Rio.
What summer Olympics....

I kind of take Canada's approach to the Olympics. The Winter is where all the fun is and just survive the Summer. I still prefer the country to focus on one and be a top 5 country in the Winter Olympics than trying to go for both and not being able to manage it. Just not the same resources available, gotta specialize.

Tags
olympics