Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-15, 21:06   Link #161
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I don't know... something about all this development gives me a bad feeling... not airing in regular TV makes me somewhat doubtful. And considering the recent upheaval Bones went through... I don't know.
The BONES leak had nothing to do with this. I've heard about this going on PSN for many months now, and it was never destined for TV even as early as Dec last year. I don't see why anyone here would really care HOW an anime is released, since everyone pirates it as it airs anyway. :P

Quote:
And being licensed from the get-go makes me feel the result will be somewhat... conditioned. To top it off, it's using a new and untested channel of distribution for anime, so they're probably going to keep it as conservative as they can.
Many anime titles are licensed from the get-go these days. It has nothing to do with production, it's just how the business is today. This is not a normal "license" either, since it's an Aniplex production which is a wholely owned subsidary of Sony Music to begin with. Sony can do whatever they want with their own properties. BONES has worked with Aniplex as a distributor many times in the past, why would this be any different.

Digital distribution is not a "new and untested" channel of distribution for anime either. It just happens that this is on the Playstation Network. What about FLAG? It's exclusively on Bandai Channel, which is a digital distribution site. It's one of the more unconventional series out there. What about Bakumatsu? That was exclusively on GyaO which is a streaming TV service on the internet. I don't think you have any idea about what you're talking about.

Anyway, IGN has more information on the release here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/890/890097p1.html

To sum up:

- No release date revealed yet
- 26 episodes
- 2.99 USD for the SD version, 3.99 USD for the HD version
- All downloaded episodes can be put on the PSP to watch on the go as well

English story synopsis:

Quote:
Akiyuki, the main character of the animated series, lives on Sentan Island, a land that has preserved its status as a free and peaceful island in a world consumed by fighting between the Northern and Southern Governments. All of this changes when Akiyuki boards a bus along with a mysterious white-haired girl who transforms his arm with the lost memories and power of Xam'd.

As Xam'd, Akiyuki goes on a rampage and is saved when a foreign girl with red hair named "Nakiami calms him down, taking him back to her postal vessel. Akiyuki now must gain control of his powers and use them against the Northern Government's latest weapons, known as "Humanforms". Travelling the world on a postal vessel, Akiyuki hopes to return home one day, but until then he befriends other passengers on the boat.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 21:15   Link #162
ZODDGUTS

Maybe it's licensed and dub by funimation because their one of the supporting companies that will have content on PSN Video.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 21:19   Link #163
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Maybe it's licensed and dub by funimation because their one of the supporting companies that will have content on PSN Video.
No, the press release clearly states that it is Sony Computer Entertainment (yeah, the gaming side) that is distributing it on PSN, not FUNi. It is entirely possible though, that FUNimation might have a hand in either a dub, or the eventual DVD/Blu-ray release, or both.
Old 2008-07-15, 21:34   Link #164
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
What is this leak and upheaval people are talking about?

Either way the trailer looked awesome to me and I loved the music. Very stylish and classic Bones overall.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-07-15 at 21:45.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 21:52   Link #165
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

So it's not going to air on TV, that's weird. How many people actually own a PS3 and are willing to buy these episodes? It looks like BONES choose the wrong medium. It isn't available to everyone and people have to pay to watch it, which shits on the logic of actually buying the DVD or Blue-Ray. I wonder if the episodes are EN dubbed or subbed.

@Kaioshin Sama, there was some sort of leak about upcoming BONES shows or something.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 21:58   Link #166
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
So it's not going to air on TV, that's weird. How many people actually own a PS3 and are willing to buy these episodes? It looks like BONES choose the wrong medium. It isn't available to everyone and people have to pay to watch it, which shits on the logic of actually buying the DVD or Blue-Ray. I wonder if the episodes are EN dubbed or subbed.

@Kaioshin Sama, there was some sort of leak about upcoming BONES shows or something.
Oh boo hoo hoo, you mean we have to PAY for anime? It should all be FREE! Damn these greedy people for choosing the wrong medium, because looks like it might be harder to pirate it this time! Boo hoo hoo!

Sigh, and people wonder why anime companies go out of business. :P
Old 2008-07-15, 22:00   Link #167
zalem

Damn, I don't own a PS3 or a PSP and don't plan on owning one any time soon. It is very surprising that they'd limit the series to people who own these products only. What a shame considering how great the trailer looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Oh boo hoo hoo, you mean we have to PAY for anime? It should all be FREE! Damn these greedy people for choosing the wrong medium, because looks like it might be harder to pirate it this time! Boo hoo hoo!
But how about those willing to pay for it, but who do not own PSP/PS3?
Old 2008-07-15, 22:03   Link #168
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

I believe people are more concerned with the unusual medium. See if it were airing on TV then one wouldn't have to pay anything other then the standard cable/satellite fee normally. This is like making anime pay per view and one has to again consider that the PS3 is like $599 dollars. It makes the anime more exclusive then it needs to be is essentially the problem.
Old 2008-07-15, 22:06   Link #169
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Damn these greedy people for choosing the wrong medium, because looks like it might be harder to pirate it this time! Boo hoo hoo!
I would bet it's just as easy to capture the video from the PS3 as it is to capture it from TV.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 22:08   Link #170
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:

Who the fuck said anything about pirating. Read before you come to your bullshit conclusions. Like I said (and other people are saying), it's not available for everyone. Which means only a select group of people are able to watch this (people with PSN). What concerns me even more is the ridiculous pricetag. I mean I love BONES and I'm all for awesome animes, but asking for $4 for 1 episode is just weird. I would pay that amount for an actually DVD with booklet and everything, but pay $4 just to digitally own it, no thanks. I guess I'll wait for Blue-Ray releases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
I would bet it's just as easy to capture the video from the PS3 as it is to capture it from TV.
What he said.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 22:43   Link #171
ZODDGUTS

Eh can't blame Bones willing to try something new, anime DVD sales have been piss poor for both in the U.S. and in Japan especially in the U.S. where anime is pretty much dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I believe people are more concerned with the unusual medium. See if it were airing on TV then one wouldn't have to pay anything other then the standard cable/satellite fee normally. This is like making anime pay per view and one has to again consider that the PS3 is like $599 dollars. It makes the anime more exclusive then it needs to be is essentially the problem.
It's $400. Still can't pay for it well my only advice would be get a job!

Edit: Looks like the first episode is already up on PSN both the HD and SD.
Old 2008-07-15, 22:47   Link #172
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Who the fuck said anything about pirating. Read before you come to your bullshit conclusions. Like I said (and other people are saying), it's not available for everyone. Which means only a select group of people are able to watch this (people with PSN). What concerns me even more is the ridiculous pricetag. I mean I love BONES and I'm all for awesome animes, but asking for $4 for 1 episode is just weird. I would pay that amount for an actually DVD with booklet and everything, but pay $4 just to digitally own it, no thanks. I guess I'll wait for Blue-Ray releases.

What he said.
Indeed, digital and Anime buying just don't mix.For one, it's easy to lose data, and I very much doubt any company would offer unlimited number of downloads(or even a fair amount of redownloads) for a purchase.$4 is silly, like everything on the xbox live marketplace.

On the bright side, the show will be getting Blue-Ray releases.Tekkon Kinkreet was just amazing, and it really opened my eyes when it comes to blue-ray & anime.

Last edited by Dingo; 2008-07-15 at 23:28.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 22:59   Link #173
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Eh can't blame Bones willing to try something new, anime DVD sales have been piss poor for both in the U.S. and in Japan especially in the U.S. where anime is pretty much dying.

It's $400. Still can't pay for it well my only advice would be get a job!

Edit: Looks like the first episode is already up on PSN both the HD and SD.
Okay, first of all, excuse me, but I do have a job and can afford the PS3 5 times over at this very second, but have no desire to. Obnoxious responses aside in Canada it's still least $499 plus GST and PST for the 80 GB model. That comes to 565 CAD total. That's pretty darn expensive. Now if we are talking about the 40 GB model which is 400 then after tax that's still 452 dollars. That is still asking a lot when the issue here is that I would want to watch Bonen No Xamdou, not own a PS3. Do you see how you have confused the issue? I can't blame them for trying something new, but I also can't keep myself from worrying about the situation a little.

And some people still don't seem to understand the difference between paying by the episode and paying for a channel which will carry more then one program. It's a very unusual situation that demands a lot from the target audience in order to view it. If this anime is indeed going to be what amounts to pay per view it damn well better be worth the asking price. That's all I'm going to say.
Old 2008-07-15, 23:01   Link #174
ZODDGUTS

Ouch the bitterness in this thread.
Old 2008-07-15, 23:27   Link #175
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Okay, first of all, excuse me, but I do have a job and can afford the PS3 5 times over at this very second, but have no desire to. Obnoxious responses aside in Canada it's still least $499 plus GST and PST for the 80 GB model. That comes to 565 CAD total. That's pretty darn expensive. Now if we are talking about the 40 GB model which is 400 then after tax that's still 452 dollars. That is still asking a lot when the issue here is that I would want to watch Bonen No Xamdou, not own a PS3. Do you see how you have confused the issue? I can't blame them for trying something new, but I also can't keep myself from worrying about the situation a little.

And some people still don't seem to understand the difference between paying by the episode and paying for a channel which will carry more then one program. It's a very unusual situation that demands a lot from the target audience in order to view it. If this anime is indeed going to be what amounts to pay per view it damn well better be worth the asking price. That's all I'm going to say.
Are you a professional blogger by any chance?
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 23:40   Link #176
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Just enough for anime methinks. And if you're talking about Japanese anime fans, well, I don't see Nintendo offering such a service, nor do I see folks over there going out to buy a 360. Chances are, this is also just an experiment to see how such content fares in the digital marketplace.

I'm pretty sure that it will broadcasted on tv eventually. Maybe... Besides, a lot of people will just be downloading this anyway. A cynical view, but it's true. Others will always find a way. Personally, I'm more interested in knowing if there are plans for a dvd or a blu-ray release.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 23:59   Link #177
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Are you a professional blogger by any chance?
That depends on what you mean by the term professional....
Old 2008-07-16, 00:20   Link #178
icealchemist
troll4hire
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to icealchemist Send a message via MSN to icealchemist
While you are all crying about stupid shit, I watched it. It is amazing.

OP: Shut up and Explode by BOOM BOOM SATELLITES
ED: Vacancy by Kylee

Last edited by icealchemist; 2008-07-16 at 00:38.
icealchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 00:25   Link #179
Nathalie-sama
*Fansubber

The opening song is pretty good. The band Boom Boom Satellites released their album EXPOSED last year. Here's the full song:

Boom Boom Satellites - Shut Up And Explode

Although I'm trying to find more info about the ending artist, Kylee. But my searching skills are not picking anything up sadly.

Sorry if the link isn't allowed :x
Nathalie-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 00:29   Link #180
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Wow, Sony, thanks a bunch for robbing me. It appears that even if you have all the valid information and even a valid credit card, the store will happily take your money and THEN prevent you from downloading the video if you're not located in the US (IP check). There's nothing in the Terms of Service or in the store that indicated that if I'm able to pay for it, that I wouldn't be able to download it. I've never run into this problem with any other PSN content yet. Great job Sony!

Edit: Okay, I eventually managed to get it to download. This is probably the last time I'm going to buy anything from the Video Store. >_<

Last edited by duckroll; 2008-07-16 at 00:59.

Tags
bones