AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-07, 13:43   Link #161
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。

Yay I finally found this thread~ Anyways... First episode looks pretty good on the 2chan thread. Although I can't say for sure until I've watched it myself. Luckily I just finished the game before the anime aired. The game was good, it was pretty bad compared to Ryukishi's previous works, but if it was your first time playing the game it definitly will be a great experience.
Golden Witch Drugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 13:55   Link #162
SMT
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Witch Drugs View Post
Luckily I just finished the game before the anime aired. The game was good, it was pretty bad compared to Ryukishi's previous works, but if it was your first time playing the game it definitly will be a great experience.
Well, good that I'm holding my expectations low. But did you actually understand the plot?
I mean it's in japanese and there's no translation as far as I know.

Last edited by SMT; 2010-01-07 at 14:37.
SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 15:57   Link #163
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
The game was good, it was pretty bad compared to Ryukishi's previous works
I keep hearing this, but it's usually from negative people. You're not very negative, though. Which depresses me.

Sad that the only work of Ryukishi's to be animated by a competent studio is the worst he's ever written.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 16:02   Link #164
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOapps View Post
Well, good that I'm holding my expectations low. But did you actually understand the plot?
I mean it's in japanese and there's no translation as far as I know.
I get about 60-70% from all the reading, I always read the game without translation first kinda in education purpose. And I did understand the plot, I just didn't think it was that good compared to Ryukishi's other works. Of course, this variates from person to person, but that is my opinion.
Golden Witch Drugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 16:36   Link #165
SMT
*Artist

Just watched the raw.
Spoiler for Episode 1:

Need to watch with subs to clarify many things.

Quote:
I get about 60-70% from all the reading, I always read the game without translation first kinda in education purpose. And I did understand the plot, I just didn't think it was that good compared to Ryukishi's other works. Of course, this variates from person to person, but that is my opinion.
Well, I expected nothing particularly "great" from the beginning. Don't know why but I think mostly due to the character's appearances. Ryu's other characters always had something more special. (preconceiving the fact that Peach-Pit did the design of the characters)

Last edited by SMT; 2010-01-07 at 17:07.
SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 20:01   Link #166
ameskitty
Kupo

Excited to watch this . I saw the opening though (which was pretty nice)...and I was instantly pulling out the Ryukishi-types from the characters . I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Interesting that the MC is the shy bishonen this time, though.

...and if what you're all saying about the game is true, well I'm not too surprised. This seemed kind of like a "write-us-a-plot gig" so I was expecting it to be a little watered down from his normal stuff. But hopefully it's still a pretty good anime.

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 20:25   Link #167
jofori89

Send a message via MSN to jofori89 Send a message via Yahoo to jofori89
Some pics about charactes

jofori89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 20:53   Link #168
snsninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rogue View Post
Excited to watch this . I saw the opening though (which was pretty nice)...and I was instantly pulling out the Ryukishi-types from the characters . I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Interesting that the MC is the shy bishonen this time, though.

...and if what you're all saying about the game is true, well I'm not too surprised. This seemed kind of like a "write-us-a-plot gig" so I was expecting it to be a little watered down from his normal stuff. But hopefully it's still a pretty good anime.
sadly same with me
'Ok she might be the rena character and that one might be like bern' XD
snsninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 23:34   Link #169
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Well I just watched the episode and yesterday I started reading the novel from scratch again, after I got really annoyed by the slice of life scenes while first reading it, so I skipped too many parts in my mind, failing to memorize them correctly...

Well funnily contentwise I covered everything that was presented in the first episode. I'm still not sure how early the branchsystem starts, I still have to figure that out, so I don't know if some things could also be added later.
But the fact that Hiroshi and Kaname have almost no contact with each other, the 'attack' by his classmate is completely altered from what I got in the novel and the investigation parts are (for the first part) gone, all those things annoyed me a bit.

For me it seemed they just wanted to get as many 'juicy' scenes into the first episode as possible, so I don't know if they just add some stuff later (as the novel itself isn't THAT chronological either), but it lost many points that I actually found interesting in the novel.
Well Ookamikakushi so far isn't such a thrilling read as Umineko for me, Higurashi had it's annoying parts to during the schoolday (at least for me) so similar things of course started happening for the sclife of life scenes in Jougamachi.

Well for now it's the same as always with Ryukishi's works, most of the rather quiet stuff gets cut and Ookamikakushi will probably get known as the show with 'killer lolis with scythes'.

Btw: Why is it called Hidden God everywhere over the internet?! I just hope it's some fail from the Japanese site...I can stomach wrong translations from them by now....
Old 2010-01-07, 23:39   Link #170
Midonin
Last Engage

That mistranslation isn't Japanese-based. It's born overseas.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 01:40   Link #171
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 01:45   Link #172
chounokoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep1:
Well it is quite different from what he did in Higurashi in the end, even though the setup and some devices are the same...at least by now I'm not expecting the same twists.
I'm still waiting for something by him that actually is set in a bigger city and goes into the whole urban legend matter a bit more, but well...we'll see what he does after Umineko, and maybe getting a rest from horror/mystery wouldn't be a bad idea, before he's running out of ideas.

And still...I vote Isuzu-'chan' for the most annoying female he ever created.
One more Hiiiiiro-kuuuun and I will stuff her mouth full with those Hassaku.
Old 2010-01-08, 01:52   Link #173
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Another one written by Ryukishi? I s'pose I'll give it a look then. He hasn't failed yet to keep me entertained.~

I know the VN was originally for PSP so there's no chance of me playing this one unless I learn Japanese, so the anime adaptation will have to do.

Here's hoping the plot will be a little easier to grasp in the beginning.

EDIT: Well I just watched the first episode and it has succeeded at grabbing my attention and curiosity.~

As some people probably have mentioned, quite a few things so far remind me strongly of Higurashi, like the city and the conflict the city is under by progress through modernization.

The new studio seems to use quite a lot of 3D in their animation, not that that's a bad thing, I'm just hoping the cutesy-wootsy art style can transition well into the to be expected horror scenes.

At a first glace the plot seems to be something around a werewolf curse theme, but knowing Ryukishi there's gotta be something more complicated behind it so I won't say it's un-original. (For now anyway.)

On a final note, I can't help but wonder if those bells that a few of those girls were wearing had any meaning...

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2010-01-08 at 02:48. Reason: Watched the episode
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 03:03   Link #174
chounokoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
On a final note, I can't help but wonder if those bells that a few of those girls were wearing had any meaning...
Considering that the first appearance of the mysterious girl in the black cape is highly different from the scene in the novel I got (don't know if I already diverged down some branch...)
Spoiler for Ookamikakushi PSP:
Old 2010-01-08, 03:03   Link #175
Rias

Just watched ep1.

Perhaps due to the nature of the game, ep1 doesn't seem to be too off. Since they covered the important elements from the intro, I think AIC did a fine job. I'm not sure how they are going to do this, that if they are going to split them into arcs like the game, or just make one giant story. Seems that they are going to skip the beginning arc and jump right into Roumensukuna-hen elements. However, the beginning part before the OP was way too sudden and revealed certain stuff that isn't covered in mid-game, by having the scythe-girl talk. It's the same technique that DEEN likes to put: put some important scary scene at the start to hook people along watching the show. I still think that's unnecessary.

Otherwise I think it's alright. Actually moves faster than the original game, which is actually a good thing this time around.
Old 2010-01-08, 03:06   Link #176
chounokoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Seems that they are going to skip the beginning arc and jump right into Roumensukuna-hen elements.
Ah, so that's why most things are so totally different...explains a lot ^^°
Ah well...we'll see how that develops, but for now I found the first episode to be a bit too stuffed full with 'TEH HORROR'.
They could have went a bit more with the mystery elements...
Old 2010-01-08, 03:27   Link #177
Saber Cherry
Marionette

So far, it seems a lot better than Umineko, though not as immediately grabbing and chilling as Higurashi. Resembles a cross between Higurashi and Vampire Princess Miyu.

Unfortunately... both of those had great music (VPM's was exquisite), while I didn't really notice any of the music in this yet. On the other hand, I like the characters so far. Not as vibrant as Higurashi, but I feel like I want to get to know them.

First anime of the season that goes onto my "must watch" list. (I haven't watched Sora no Woto yet, though)

On another note - I hope that 'wheelchair imouto' stop spreading before they become cliche.
Old 2010-01-08, 07:22   Link #178
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well while I really know nothing about the source material, R07's style does really come out even from the first episode itself. Nothing really outstanding or grabbing about the story itself for the first episode, but it odes make a nice setup.

Things is the presentation feels exactly like the way DEEN made Higurashi's Onikakushi-ken: They started with Keiichi's bludgeoning the two girls before switching to the story proper. I don't know if that's how the story is itself presented but I couldn't help but point out the similarity.

As for the art, well frankly I find the art style sort of generic. That said, the animation itself looks great. From the presentation itself it's obviously leagues away from what DEEN has done for Higurashi and Umineko. I would actually prefer that AIC animate Chiru from the looks of it.

And Hiroshi is obviously voiced by Yu Kobayashi. Her voice is as plain as day.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 07:50   Link #179
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

First episode was nothing good or spectacularly bad. Could probably skip it and nothing would change. Well at least the part before it actually starts and the opening was nice. And the white hair girl, I hope she doesn't take her mask off, she really looks better with it on (the figure/art/everything looked better then the animated version honestly; which is like some other character).
Old 2010-01-08, 09:54   Link #180
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
First episode was nothing good or spectacularly bad. Could probably skip it and nothing would change. Well at least the part before it actually starts and the opening was nice. And the white hair girl, I hope she doesn't take her mask off, she really looks better with it on (the figure/art/everything looked better then the animated version honestly; which is like some other character).
The mask comes off. They practically gave away her identity if I guessed correctly.

Tags
horror