AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 6 6.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 15.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 19.10%
7 out of 10 : Good 31 34.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 10.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 5.62%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.25%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-19, 04:20   Link #161
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
She would've done much better as the main heroine than Index...
Hmm, I can't really be that hard on Index as a main heroine. Seriously, she has a year's worth of memories... and who knows how many times they fried her brain... I'd be pretty airheaded too after all that.

Anyway, I'd suggest you go out and pick up some of the cream of the crop this season.

If your looking for some superpower action this season, Darker than Black: Ryusei no Gemini is looking great. The only downside is if you haven't watched the first series you might be a little lost.

If you're looking for something on the alternative side, Kuuchi Buranko (Trapeze) fits the bill. Don't let the trippy visuals scare you off, it's a pretty damn good show if you're willing to look beyond the surface.

Hell, if you're looking for slice-of-life done right, Cross Game is still airing.

It really is too bad that Biribiri isn't sparkling like she should... but all we can do is pray at this point...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 04:25   Link #162
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
She would've done much better as the main heroine than Index...
I disagree here. Considering Index is more focused on the magical side of the To Aruverse, Mikoto would be thoroughly out of place as the main heroine. What the author needed to do was increase the role of Index and make her more useful. This is not a hard thing to do, but it does need to be done.

That we like Mikoto more than we do Index does not automatically make her a better character for the role. There is a difference.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:11   Link #163
Joe_fh

Great discussions this far guys. Sure it might have been a bit off topic and some people might have been a bit on edge but it's nice to see people going in depth with their opinions and statements. And as Reckoner said it helps others see a new side of the anime.
(see i read all those long posts )

Mind you, not sure if this need a spoiler tag, but I think Index was only the main character in the first volume of the light novel. Later the focus shifted and even if she's still there, the focus of things isn't on only her. For those of us that watched Index we could clearly see that from the later arcs. The show just used this name and so did the Light novel. That could be a bit misleding since people think that if the show is called that than Index is the most important character in it. like the To Aru Majutsu no Index joke

Well since I already said what I think about this episode I don't think there's anything else left for me to say
Joe_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:23   Link #164
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
IMO, every new arc should change the name of the show!

1. A Certain Magical Index
2. A Certain Vampire-Hunting Aisa
3. A Certain Cloned Imouto
4. A Certain Pissed-off Angel
5. A Certain Administrative Loli
6. A Certain Artistic Sherry
Old 2009-10-19, 06:30   Link #165
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

SECONDED. After all, this is the To Aru... World no?

I find it interesting that DtB was mentioned earlier. As I said in another episode thread, and after what she did this episode which outright parallels a certain episode in DtB, I can certainly imagine Misaka running around in a black long jacket, opera mask and wrist-fired supersteel garrote wire. They could make superpermanent ink; why not superstrong wire?

Further more, she knows how to hold back, like a certain shinigami.

I admit: I was sooooo looking forward to Rie's chara showing the "electrocuted" face I became so fond of in Darker than Black during the last bit of this episode.

(Yes I can't remember that Dummy Checker's name. )

Nicely setting up the ***** ***** arc I see too. And Keroko was right, this Saten build up is going to be beneficial for her chara (and when disaster hits).

This week was fun. Here's to another week of hilarious nonsense!
Old 2009-10-19, 07:37   Link #166
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Nicely setting up the ***** ***** arc I see too. And Keroko was right, this Saten build up is going to be beneficial for her chara (and when disaster hits).
Personally, after re-reading the manga I'm beginning to see why they give us these calm and ordinary episodes. One of the things the manga did was throw in the action fast. Perhaps a bit too fast. Several of the characters could really have used a bit more deepening when the action hit, the anime now does this.
Old 2009-10-19, 07:50   Link #167
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Several of the characters could really have used a bit more deepening when the action hit, the anime now does this.
Indeed. Events that were supposed to be emotional were "whatever" events because characters connected with that event were undeveloped.
Old 2009-10-19, 07:53   Link #168
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Personally, after re-reading the manga I'm beginning to see why they give us these calm and ordinary episodes. One of the things the manga did was throw in the action fast. Perhaps a bit too fast. Several of the characters could really have used a bit more deepening when the action hit, the anime now does this.
Maybe you're right. As I said there were chances of more character development in the manga but since it's monthly and actually not that popular they need more action. And well the first episode gave us those nice background stories and all but the 2nd and 3rd didn't really add anything new to the chatarcaters in terms of that. They're not really developing them emotionally and as a character.
Old 2009-10-19, 07:58   Link #169
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Another character establishing episode. This time with more focus on Saten. While there was only a tiny nibbling of the greater plot in this episode, I did like this episode. Why? Well, aside from that it was an entertaining episode in its own right, it showed us more about Saten. This is very important, as later events... which I can't speak of... are going to be heavily dependent on how we see Saten in terms of impact. I am sure I don't need to remind manga readers on what incident I'm talking about, and I'm sure many will agree that the more we grow to like Saten, the greater the impact of that part of the plot will be.

So yes, even though this episode was not from the manga, it will eventually serve to make the eventual arrival of Saten's part in the plot better than the manga.
Did we watch the same episode? I could've sworn it was about a random invisible Esper drawing eyebrows on people......

Quote:
Now this I can't agree with. There's no way the action in the manga came too fast. They took their time bringing up the speed in the manga, and I really can't see how anybody could say it was too fast. And this character deepening in the anime.......not seeing it. Little things here and there sure, but nowhere near enough to say they're deeper.
Old 2009-10-19, 08:44   Link #170
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Did we watch the same episode? I could've sworn it was about a random invisible Esper drawing eyebrows on people......
It was, but the character who got the spotlight this time was Saten.

Quote:
Now this I can't agree with. There's no way the action in the manga came too fast. They took their time bringing up the speed in the manga, and I really can't see how anybody could say it was too fast. And this character deepening in the anime.......not seeing it. Little things here and there sure, but nowhere near enough to say they're deeper.
And yet Uiharu had hardly any deep character at that time, while Saten was virtually a non entity, despite their importance to that arc.
Old 2009-10-19, 08:56   Link #171
Joe_fh

Quote:
For me Saten's character didn't develop at all during this episode. All the feelings she has that have any influence on the story later we saw in episode one. Nothing much to see here. I do agree that Saten and Uiharu need more character development but they aren't actually geting any. Though I must say their introduction in episode one was good.
Old 2009-10-19, 08:58   Link #172
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

I wonder why people thought the episodic character was anyone other than Yukari Tamura from the get-go (Takamachi Nanoha, Sunohara Mei, et. al.). It was a bad moment for me, 'cause I was watching the episode and I suddenly shouted "Nanoha!" Not good for immersion.

It was a good and enjoyable episode, even though the topic is of the lighter fare. Isn't that how stories are supposed to start, though? I agree with Keroko here in that this is about the setting up of the new characters. Uiharu is more than just an offscreen-competant Judgement member now, and Saten-san is still my favorite of the four.

9/10. Nothing amazing, but solid execution. Coming into this anime cold (no Index or manga!Railgun experience), they're giving me a good setup. I think they're done, unless they want to deepen specific friendships for the audience (there were tantalizing hints for a good friendship between Mikoto and Saten-san from the end of ep 1), so I think this character-building exercise can only truly be extended one more episode.
Old 2009-10-19, 09:14   Link #173
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
......nope, not seeing it. She got eyebrow-painted "fo'sho'", but other than that, not much. Simply having the camera follow you around because you were the victim isn't much, and she didn't affect the episode in any way the others couldn't. Mikoto had more role in this episode just for being the one to actually stop the culprit, and even Uiharu did for support function.

Quote:
And yet Uiharu had hardly any deep character at that time, while Saten was virtually a non entity, despite their importance to that arc.
a) How does that mean the manga's action is too fast?
b) Neither character is important to the arc; I don't get where you're getting this idea from, Touma's blue-haired school buddy could just as easily take Saten's place (Uiharu couldn't be replaced simply because of her skills with computers for support purposes, which when they got to the thick of it, didn't make much difference)
c) They're hardly anything more than support character A and B as it is here in the anime either (although the manga fleshes out Uiharu's character, as well as Kuroko's, a lot in two special chapters); they haven't gotten the focus to be important characters yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
For me Saten's character didn't develop at all during this episode. All the feelings she has that have any influence on the story later we saw in episode one. Nothing much to see here. I do agree that Saten and Uiharu need more character development but they aren't actually geting any. Though I must say their introduction in episode one was good.
Quote for truth. I'd like to see them get focus and development too; it just hasn't happened yet.
Old 2009-10-19, 09:15   Link #174
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
It's nothing developing, I agree, but she was the spotlight character of the group this episode. Even episodes with no development can bind us to a characters (I know I was downright cheering at Saten in a Tokiwadai uniform, for one). To compare, even throughout the entire manga I never really liked Saten, and bordered on disliking her.

Two episodes in the anime, and Saten has shot to second place in my favorite character list.
Old 2009-10-19, 09:23   Link #175
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
It's nothing developing, I agree, but she was the spotlight character of the group this episode. Even episodes with no development can bind us to a characters (I know I was downright cheering at Saten in a Tokiwadai uniform, for one). To compare, even throughout the entire manga I never really liked Saten, and bordered on disliking her.
But as joe said, nothing Saten did was any different, nor did it bind us any more to her character than episode 1, or episode 2 either. (unless all you're interested in is the same stuff they've been showing since episode 1) She's just the same old Saten.

On that last part, I have to call you; Saten in the anime is no different than Saten in the manga. She's the same genki, pervert-ish (skirt flipping ) character; she's not any different, nor do we know anything new about her that we didn't know in the manga. The only thing different is that she's in episodes not in the manga.
Old 2009-10-19, 09:58   Link #176
Bordix

Quote:

On that last part, I have to call you; Saten in the anime is no different than Saten in the manga. She's the same genki, pervert-ish (skirt flipping ) character; she's not any different, nor do we know anything new about her that we didn't know in the manga. The only thing different is that she's in episodes not in the manga.
was it ever hinted in the manga that she's a cake fanatic?

This episode was decent. Yes I know, fillers are expected.

I just hope we get to see more members from judgement in the upcoming episodes.
Old 2009-10-19, 10:05   Link #177
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
......nope, not seeing it. She got eyebrow-painted "fo'sho'", but other than that, not much. Simply having the camera follow you around because you were the victim isn't much, and she didn't affect the episode in any way the others couldn't. Mikoto had more role in this episode just for being the one to actually stop the culprit, and even Uiharu did for support function.
We learned more about Saten's tastes and opinions, Saten was the one sprayed wet and ending up in the Tokiwadai uniform, Saten was the one victimized by Nanoh- I mean Miho, and the one who delivered the end speech. Was she the star that solved everything in the episode? No, but the focus was definitely on her.

Quote:
a) How does that mean the manga's action is too fast?
b) Neither character is important to the arc; I don't get where you're getting this idea from, Touma's blue-haired school buddy could just as easily take Saten's place (Uiharu couldn't be replaced simply because of her skills with computers for support purposes, which when they got to the thick of it, didn't make much difference)
c) They're hardly anything more than support character A and B as it is here in the anime either (although the manga fleshes out Uiharu's character, as well as Kuroko's, a lot in two special chapters); they haven't gotten the focus to be important characters yet
I never said the action was too fast, I said they got to the action too fast. And while their worth to the arc was small, the impact of their respective scenes was reduced even more because they were seen a lot less there. That is what the anime is improving.

Quote:
But as joe said, nothing Saten did was any different, nor did it bind us any more to her character than episode 1, or episode 2 either. (unless all you're interested in is the same stuff they've been showing since episode 1) She's just the same old Saten.

On that last part, I have to call you; Saten in the anime is no different than Saten in the manga. She's the same genki, pervert-ish (skirt flipping ") character; she's not any different, not do we know anything new about her that we didn't know in the manga. The only thing different is that she's in episodes not in the manga.
Yes, and that bolded part is exactly my point. Merely by getting more screentime we see more of the character. She doesn't change at all, but merely by seeing more of her I grow to like her so much more than I did in the manga, where we got to see little to nothing of her.

The characters don't need to change in order for us to feel more for them, we just need to see them more. And we did learn more about Saten. Would you have known she prefers the cheesecake or the casualty of weather otherwise? Or that, despite her skirt-flipping habits, she doesn't like short skirts?

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-10-19 at 12:15.
Old 2009-10-19, 10:10   Link #178
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Wait... Dummy Check was YUKARIN?! WHO IN THE WORLD SAID IT WAS RIE?!

No wonder I was wondering how come Rie sounded so weird... And not tsun enough.

*makes a note to have Nanoha squiggle eyebrows on Keroko after one boring arts lesson at school*

Old 2009-10-19, 10:18   Link #179
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm no VA nut, so I could be wrong, but that sounded like Nanoha to me.
Old 2009-10-19, 10:24   Link #180
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Yeah I did to. I was struggling as to why someone told me it was Rie who did Miho, when Miho sounded more Nanohaish.

Now if only Miho chose a hatchet rather than a marker pen for her revenge... It would be so much more in character of the voice, yes?

And I think all this discussion about how much this episode sucked would've been avoided?

At least that settles it. For the VA jokes back on the magical side of things of that bridging we're working on that is.