Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-21, 00:08   Link #1781
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm not an expert but I don't think it would. When you boil water it's usually to kill bacteria.

Potassium iodide pills should prevent the radioactive iodine from entering your thyroid. Iodine also has a pretty short half-life (8 days).
Technically there is a way to remove radioactive elements, using a special distillation technique.

But the fact is the level found is not dangerous. I can't convince you that, of course, because fear is not meant to be rational.
Old 2011-03-21, 00:31   Link #1782
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Anyone living in the mountains and drinking water out of many mineral-laden water tables is getting their "fair share" of radiated bits.

edit: great, now WHO has "warned of serious radiation poisoning in food" .... problem is they actually DID NOT. This is another news article that only amplifies alarms without being specific or very scientific at all (i.e. weighted weasel words).
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72A0SS20110321
That was *really* not helpful or useful. If you read the article - you find it is some spokesman in Manilla they telephoned and he answered off the top of his head in an arm-waving fashion. He's not even a doctor or scientist. Therefore, WHO has NOT issued any statement. Reuters might as well have interviewed a man on the street and reported what he said as gospel truth.

In the meantime, I plan on continuing to buy and eat foods exported from Japan... hell, there's more MERCURY in the fish to worry about...

Minigame: lets say you have a 1in20000 chance of getting hit by a car or a 1in100000 chance of contracting cancer in your life from an accumulation of gamma ray strikes. Which do you freak out about?

The world is connected enough that idiots from around the planet can now yell "She's a witch!!!!" in unison.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-03-21 at 03:19.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 03:11   Link #1783
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Anyone living in the mountains and drinking water out of many mineral-laden water tables is getting their "fair share" of radiated bits.
If you are living in the mountains you also get your fair share from above. That said, Tokyo should be pretty much out of the interesting perimeter of this incident. I just wouldn't know what I can trust to eat without a radiometer. I mean, even though the risk is small (eating food from the regions closer to Fukushima), one does not want to add it on top of the other risks (a car accident can end your life very quickly, cancer however...).
Old 2011-03-21, 03:45   Link #1784
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
edit: great, now WHO has "warned of serious radiation poisoning in food" .... problem is they actually DID NOT. This is another news article that only amplifies alarms without being specific or very scientific at all (i.e. weighted weasel words).
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72A0SS20110321
That was *really* not helpful or useful. If you read the article - you find it is some spokesman in Manilla they telephoned and he answered off the top of his head in an arm-waving fashion. He's not even a doctor or scientist. Therefore, WHO has NOT issued any statement. Reuters might as well have interviewed a man on the street and reported what he said as gospel truth.
O.o Even reuters? Here I thought they were slightly more honest in their news compared to other outlets. I guess I was wrong.

Quote:
In the meantime, I plan on continuing to buy and eat foods exported from Japan... hell, there's more MERCURY in the fish to worry about...
Same here (given the chance). I'm not gonna worry about the food I eat. Seriously, if you get more radiation from a banana than you would from living 50 miles away from a nuclear plant from a whole year, there's no reason for me to be concerned about Japanese food more than getting hit by a car, as you said

Quote:
The world is connected enough that idiots from around the planet can now yell "She's a witch!!!!" in unison.
Christine O'Donnell would beg to differ on that one, tho that's another story.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 03:47   Link #1785
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I have a question:

If I have Japanese yen, in cash, at hand -- to the maximum amount of 30000 yen (or less; needs to check how much I have left from the trip there) -- and wants to donate to Japan, what is the best way to go about it?

- I don't have PayPal account and never used one. If it is the best way however I will consider it.

- How safe is it to mail it over to Japan for my host family and ask them to donate? The "safety" part I'm worrying about isn't my host family (I trust them 100%) but the mailing part. Any charged fees? Any limitations on how much I can send? Any dangers of it getting lost?

- In fact is the mailing system in Japan back online yet even?

- Going through my bank seems counterproductive when I have the cash in yen at hand already. I don't want *any* fees getting between that money and the organizations carrying the relief efforts.

- Which organization is the "best" to donate right now? I imagine Red Cross Japan is probably already on the ground there. I'm not interested in helping any religious organizations or somesuch (at best they'll coordinate with the Red Cross...so why don't I just give it to the Red Cross?). However people with more knowledge than I could explain the facts on the ground if I'm missing something...

- How much is the need in Japan right now? Do they need the donations, or should I frankly just save the money and plan the next trip there to help (haha) revive the economy with Akiba spendings?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 04:22   Link #1786
msg

Aww...my youtube got deleted by mod.Apologise for tht but seriously all those unecessary irrational fears really get under my skin and all those "sensational journalism" doesn't help either

@Irencius - why do't you try doing money transfer such as western union to transfer the money to your host family.Western union is quite reliable.I did transfer a few times using western union and there's no problem so far

Me and my family did our part and chip in around 500 usd to the red cross.Wish could do more...
Old 2011-03-21, 05:58   Link #1787
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Could someone kindly link the article stating that the quake in Japan affected fault lines around the region?

Because unless I'm still drunk (not likely), I think I just felt a slight shake maybe 10 minutes ago, a bunch of my friends did so too, and my sister and her friends also felt something.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 06:03   Link #1788
speck123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Could someone kindly link the article stating that the quake in Japan affected fault lines around the region?

Because unless I'm still drunk (not likely), I think I just felt a slight shake maybe 10 minutes ago, a bunch of my friends did so too, and my sister and her friends also felt something.
Apparently it was a M5.4 earthquake. Link here.

Last edited by speck123; 2011-03-21 at 06:05. Reason: Added link to USGS
speck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 06:07   Link #1789
sa547
*Author

Quote:

Didn't feel it, but it's here:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...usc0002804.php
Old 2011-03-21, 06:17   Link #1790
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

Technically it's all one giant fault-line. Still, just because there was a big Earthquake in one area doesn't mean it would happen elsewhere. It depends entirely on how much pressure each piece of the crust is under.

Earthquake is something Southeast Asia had to live with. This applies to my birthplace too. I mean, if your country is an island created by the fault-line/volcanoes, for all intent and purposes your home exists because of the ancient Earthquakes. And if earthquake can create you home, it can destroy it.

Here in Australia I am pretty much safe, but I had to swap the danger for firestorms, droughts, and floods.
Old 2011-03-21, 06:20   Link #1791
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Looks like it's time to brush up on ALS and basic trauma treatment, just in case.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 06:59   Link #1792
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

latest update

According to http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,752149,00.html reactor 3 was abandomed and grey smoke is visible from the outside.

from http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/...iupdate01.html

Spoiler for inside:

tepco press released

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp...1032101-e.html

Spoiler for inside:

Thanks to the fire in reactor 3, radiation levels in Kanagawa/Tokyo and Ibaraki seem to be up again.

http://www.bousai.ne.jp/eng/index.html

from us embassy

Quote:
On March 21, 2011, consistent with NRC guidelines that apply to such a situation in the United States, the U.S. Government is making available Potassium Iodide (KI) as a precautionary measure for United States Government personnel and dependents residing within Nagoya (Aichi Prefecture), Tokyo (Tokyo Capital Region), Yokohama (Kanagawa Prefecture), and the prefectures of Akita, Aomori, Chiba, Fukushima, Gunma, Ibaraki, Iwate, Miyagi, Nagano, Niigata, Saitama, Shizouka, Tochigi, Yamagata, and Yamanashi. The KI should only be consumed after specific instruction from the United States Government. While there is no indication that it will become advisable to take KI, out of an abundance of caution the United States Government is making it available to its personnel and family members to be used only upon direction if a change in circumstances were to warrant. No-one should take
KI at this time. In the event of a radiological release, sheltering in place or departing the affected area remain the primary means of protection.

There are numerous factors, including weather, wind direction and speed, as well as the exact status of the reactor problem, that affect the risk of the possibility of lower-level radioactive materials reaching greater distances. Previous notification to U.S. citizens to leave areas within 50 miles of the reactors stands. In the event they cannot evacuate that area, they are advised to seek shelter and remain sheltered. For private U.S. citizens seeking information about KI, we advise you to contact your doctor or employer. Should you need further assistance contact the Department of State by emailing JapanEmergencyUSC@state.gov or calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 07:24   Link #1793
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:

yep 5.7 magnitude earthquake to be exact in our country the Philippines although read below
Quote:
"We don't expect damage despite it being a 5.7 because the earthquake was quite deep," Solidum told TV Patrol.
more info: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/re...e-hits-mindoro
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 07:35   Link #1794
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Why You Don't Need to Buy Potassium Iodide

PLUS this one...should I shift it to the Silly News thread or A Laugh a Day thread?

China’s panic-buying of salt

Quote:
HONG KONG (MarketWatch) — This week attention will remain on the spillover effects of Japan’s nuclear crisis as a large degree of edginess remains.

Somewhat surprisingly it has been cities across China, including Hong Kong, that have witnessed panic in recent days, in contrast to the relative calm in Japan.

Last week, a salt-buying frenzy was unleashed across China that spread to Hong Kong, which quickly became a rather unsavory spectacle. Rumors had spread via the Internet from across the border that some salt contains iodine, which would provide protection from a looming radiation threat from Japan. Throngs of people began scrambling for salt, mobbing shops and wholesalers.

Japan gets some operations back on track at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, but reactor No. 3 continues to pose challenges.

On Friday, the Hong Kong government had to resort to a mass text-message campaign imploring people not to believe rumors and to stop panic-buying salt. The fact you might have to eat kilos of the stuff to get sufficient iodine was of no consequence. Indeed, so chaotic was the behavior that some people were even seen bizarrely carting off bottles of soy sauce. Amid the buying, retailers reportedly raised the price of salt more than tenfold, seeing an opportunity to profit from this panic.

The whole episode has caused a certain degree of embarrassment and shame, particularly in contrast to the restrained behavior in Japan, where there is very real suffering. There the orderly and stoic lining up for water, transport and food in the middle of biblical-like devastation has shown the remarkable endurance and self-control of the Japanese people.

This makes the contrast with images on mainland China all the more stark. Some academics have suggested the willingness to believe bogus warnings reflects a lack of trust in the government’s truthfulness in China. That could have some credence: Back in 2008, the government tried to keep the scandal of powdered milk mixed with melamine that was poisoning babies quiet until after the Olympic Games in Beijing. Perhaps one unintended consequence of a one-party government which controls the media with an army of censors is that it creates a fertile breeding ground for paranoia.

What is perhaps more surprising is that Hong Kong, which has a free flow of information and independent media, also joined the frenzy.

Another explanation for this out-of-control behavior is that those on the treadmill of the world’s workshop are at breaking point as they struggle with a surge in living costs. That would be one way to interpret reports that many Guangdong factory workers did not bother to return to work from their Chinese New Year trip home.

The whole episode sits awkwardly next to the central government’s newly introduced mantra of pursuing happiness, not just economic growth. The Economist featured a story on China this week “Don’t worry be happy,” reporting how various mainland provinces are now competing not on gross domestic product numbers, but to have the happiest citizens.

Incidentally, another case of failing the good-character test in the past week involved Singapore’s media giant Media Corp. Shortly after the Japanese earthquake struck, it pitched clients with a new ad package saying it expected a surge in viewers on its news channel with coverage of the disaster. Not surprisingly, this clumsy attempt to make some extra money from the earthquake caused outrage, and Media Corp. had to later apologize.

Getting back to Japan’s economy, China, as well as much of the region, will be watching carefully how quickly it recovers. If an economy the size of Japan’s — which until last year was the second-largest in the world — goes into reverse, it potentially sets up a negative growth shock for the region.

But many are optimistic that can be avoided. Even before the aftershocks had subsided, various economists were already penciling in a strong rebound as rebuilding efforts got underway. But that optimism might be misplaced, argue analysts at Nomura. They say in a new report that despite initial confidence that reconstruction expenditure would feed into the economy by the year’s end, this may be restrained by a lack of sustainable power.

Even harder to quantify is how the crisis impacts investor risk appetite by raising the level of uncertainty. For China, any shock from Japan’s crises comes at a time when it has already been applying the brakes to its economy and is also dealing with rising oil and commodity prices. Now we are starting to see some impact, as bank lending slow markedly last month to 536.6 billion yuan ($81.7 billion), significantly lower than 1.04 trillion yuan in January.

Mainland Chinese policy makers have a delicate balancing act to steer the economy to slower growth and wean it off bank credit without tipping an overheated property market into bursting or killing jobs growth.

What we saw last week was not anything truly worrying, like a run on banks, but just a run on salt. Still, the manic scramble suggests a deeper level of anxiety on the ground over the direction of the economy — something that should not be taken with a pinch of salt.
This is a big fail proven of China's education system in rote-learning chemistry : it is a different kind of salt idiots.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 08:01   Link #1795
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Why You Don't Need to Buy Potassium Iodide

PLUS this one...should I shift it to the Silly News thread or A Laugh a Day thread?

China’s panic-buying of salt

This is a big fail proven of China's education system in rote-learning chemistry : it is a different kind of salt idiots.
Well, as you pointed out yourself, it doesn't matter if they bought the right kind of Iodine or not; it's not going to do them any good other than perhaps poisoning themselves.
And this isn't so much education as much as media hysteria. Chinese news is going just as crazy as America in order to grab reader attention.

Do people think they could self-medicate radiation poisoning? REALLY?
Old 2011-03-21, 08:25   Link #1796
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well, as you pointed out yourself, it doesn't matter if they bought the right kind of Iodine or not; it's not going to do them any good other than perhaps poisoning themselves.
And this isn't so much education as much as media hysteria. Chinese news is going just as crazy as America in order to grab reader attention.

Do people think they could self-medicate radiation poisoning? REALLY?
You know, we can actually use this opportunity to boost the Japanese economy by spreading the fact that Japanese seaweed/laver contains iodine.....

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 08:28   Link #1797
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
yep 5.7 magnitude earthquake to be exact in our country the Philippines although read below
I actually felt that one, although it came across more like a nauseatic episode where I wondered why the ground seemed to move slightly rather than an actual noticeable quake. And only a few people I asked later felt anything similar.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 08:44   Link #1798
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009

Good news people for those who wondering that what happened to the Gundam statue.

As i checked on recent's blog from alafista.com the statue is still standing after last week's quake. But it was learned that it will be taken down next week.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 10:27   Link #1799
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

why! Its now a symbol of them standing tall
Old 2011-03-21, 10:42   Link #1800
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
why! Its now a symbol of them standing tall
As far as I know, they still have Kamen Rider

But it's true, it should stay as a symbol of their survival and resilience.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami